Poll

How do you like yer NS?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: How do you like yer NS?  (Read 12188 times)

January 21, 2005, 11:33:31 AM
Read 12188 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 21, 2005, 01:24:09 PM
Reply #1

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I chose option 3 but under the corollary that its a fun and challenging period of time.

40 minutes of "locking aliens into last hive then knife rushing" is tedious. 1 hr or more of back-and-forth war over vital rts leaves me feeling very satisfied indeed.

After many long years of gaming (Pong, Combat, Star Control, C&C, HL, Quake, AvP, Godzilla: Save the Earth) the act of winning doesn't have the same thrill anymore. Its the CHALLENGE. Win or lose, if I had a gruelling and tense hour of warfare then I'm going to feel a lot better than a 1 minute shotgun rush win.

Its something you come to appreciate with age. Game win screens all tend to blend together.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

January 21, 2005, 02:28:31 PM
Reply #2

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
15 usual are games that 1 team plows through the other, not fun for anyone

20 min is when the plowing teams stalls

30-40 min is when the plowing teams switchs sides

hour game is when your fighting tooth and nail (where have I seen that before? kekeke) for territory, when you know boths teams played it hardcore.

hour games are win for sure.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

January 21, 2005, 02:48:00 PM
Reply #3

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
voted for epic. only time i've ever had fun is in really long games, where both sides push back and forth. so much fun =]

best game i remember comming was this hour+ long game on bast, we'd push, aliens push back. we finally took down so many hives that they were basically spent on res, and sieged out feedwater to win iirc :x

January 21, 2005, 02:51:42 PM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm kinda torn back and forth between 3 and 4, eventually voting for 3. I want the epic feel of hour long games, but preferrably not the length. Pretty much what Necrosis said. But if games have to be long to give back that epic feel, then so be it. I'd rather have games that are too long than games that are too lopsided.

January 21, 2005, 03:30:43 PM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I voted for 2.

Don't get me wrong, the epic games are where its at, but I don't think it's worth it to try to make every game an epic.  Part of what is so good about NS right now is that when the epic games come along, my god are they ever sweet.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 21, 2005, 06:52:43 PM
Reply #6

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
I dunno.

I always hated hour long games because they never really seemed that fun. I always get bored of saving the same RT or Hive Room or choke point for the upteenth time.

On the other hand I don't like the short games where one team is left going "WTH?" what just happened?

I like mine to be of 20-30 minute length with epic battles. Not epic pushfights until one side stalls, falls over and then get trampled. Which always happens in the hour long games.

"OK Heavy Armour team, uh 19, go and get that hive! again!"

What I want is those games where the two army meet and it all hangs in the balance. Which never happen in the hour long "epic" games because usually, the teams are so well built up that there never is an "In the balance" section where the actions of a squad depend on the outcome. Rather then who can fling the most hardcore stuff at each other before running out of Res.

Hopefully that made sense....

FIX THIS!

January 22, 2005, 04:30:38 AM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ok, i'm a total nub, i think the goal for the dev team is a 30 minute game. I prefer them a touch longer, and preferably epic.

This is of COURSE assuming that the longer game has stuff HAPPENING, not stalling and boring long drawn out arriving at a foregone conclusion decided 20 minutes ago.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 22, 2005, 07:10:03 AM
Reply #8

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Is there a particular reason for this?

January 22, 2005, 08:51:39 AM
Reply #9

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Epic, long games mean you played against a good team, and you might of won (or held out long enough type o deal if you lost). Shorter games just means the other team owned you, or you guys screwed up.

Both teams win in epic battles.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

January 22, 2005, 09:49:32 AM
Reply #10

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
personally i'm kinda inbetween the 20 to whatever time things
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

January 22, 2005, 11:16:49 AM
Reply #11

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I like my NS baked with a honey glaze and served on top of ice cream soup...

oh, wait...

I mean epic >_>

January 22, 2005, 11:54:34 AM
Reply #12

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Those true epic games, those two-hour-long Bast stalemates, are without a doubt my favorite.

Games like this have given my my best memories.

January 22, 2005, 12:30:44 PM
Reply #13

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Win or lose, you'll always walk away with a few war stories.

January 22, 2005, 12:33:22 PM
Reply #14

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Those true epic games, those two-hour-long Bast stalemates, are without a doubt my favorite.

[snapback]39053[/snapback]

Same.

No-one's going to remember a quick win with a shotty rush, or a simple siege with heavies. What people WILL remember are situations which don't happen often - such as, amazing comebacks, or non-stop back-and-forth map control, and such.
I still remember one of the first few games that I've played in NS, 3 hours long, on ns_nothing. Constant back-and-forth; we ended up winning in the end. At one point, the aliums were down to 1 gorge and a hive going up, and the Marines at one point had 2 heavies with no base, just a CC to build in a hive.
That was a great game.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 22, 2005, 12:54:58 PM
Reply #15

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Is there a particular reason for this?
[snapback]39038[/snapback]

Just simple curiousity. One often reads war stories about epic battles, and gets the general sense that most NS players like the longer game, yet the dev team seems to be moving towards an ideal time frame, something shorter, something more palatable to the common gamer (i'm guessing).
-Richard Feynman

January 23, 2005, 11:23:04 AM
Reply #16

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Well I love my NS as I love most team objective games.

Don't get me wrong - I love short, fast, dirty team arena deathmatch style games. I have lots of run rampaging around with my GL/Bio-rifle/Goo Gun/Quad Launcher and laying waste to assorted random gamers.

However, when I play objective team games, I like them big and sprawling. Galactic Conquest for BF1942 - Epic games, moreso with the imminent new release with AT ATs. NS is an objective game for me, so I like long games with a bit of fight and story in them.

Which is why I drop the server when CO is selected - Its played too much like a team arena DM, and thats not what I signed on for.

January 23, 2005, 12:09:38 PM
Reply #17

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
epic battles where the balance of power *shifts* and most of the team works together are <3
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 23, 2005, 03:23:35 PM
Reply #18

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile

[snapback]39053[/snapback]
Need I say more?
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

January 23, 2005, 04:29:47 PM
Reply #19

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
epic battles make NS worthwhile.