Author Topic: Book++?  (Read 10641 times)

June 23, 2005, 07:00:24 PM
Reply #20

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
I go thru books too quickly - sometimes more than one a day, if I decide that I just want to read on a day off (though that hasnt been lately).

Let's see, recently re-read the Riftwar books by Feist, the Amber books by Zelazny, the Chanur books and the Foreigner books by Cherryh, some ransom Trek books, the Thrawn trilogy by Zahn, random Discworld books, and Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett.

And several reefkeeping and marine aquaria books...

My biggest problem is that since I go thru books quickly, I want to read something that will be worth the 'investment' ... so I often end up rereading old books instead of getting new ones.
God, I'm old.

June 24, 2005, 02:28:23 AM
Reply #21

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Good Omens is a great book. I remeber doing a book review on it about ....... my god.......12 years ago!! (God I feel Old).

Speaking of old I started to reread the Lensman books again. These were
written by E.E. Doc Smith in the 30s-50s. It's science fiction from another era. Everything is force rays and computers were unheard of :). Anyone else heard of them?

June 24, 2005, 10:42:06 AM
Reply #22

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Speaking of old I started to reread the Lensman books again. These were
written by E.E. Doc Smith in the 30s-50s. It's science fiction from another era. Everything is force rays and computers were unheard of :). Anyone else heard of them?
[snapback]51447[/snapback]

I read somewhere that the Lensman books was the foundation for the Star Wars universe.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 24, 2005, 12:14:03 PM
Reply #23

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
my girlfriend told me to read the guardian... so i did. I dont remember the author but it starts as one of those silly girly books... a chick has problems like parents dying and such and she gets a black lab pup who is apparently an excellent judge of character. The dog loves a guy and growls at another (basically giving away the whole book)

minus the shallow plot and all, the suspense with the bad guy trying to kill her and the dog isnt so bad.

2 stars

June 24, 2005, 03:32:28 PM
Reply #24

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Sigh, apparently the narrator for the Amber series a few people have mentioned changes after the first 5 books (not really a spoiler). So I highly recommend it - it's the best fantasy series I have ever read - but prepare yourself for the narration switch. It was hugely disappointing for me, I thought I had 600 more pages of the guy. Now I have to force myself the accept the new narrator...
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

June 28, 2005, 11:58:30 PM
Reply #25

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Rogue Warrior's Strategy for Success: A Commando's Principles of Winning

Behold a Pale Horse

I swear upon MUGA that these are good reads, and if you shouldn't be satisfied with either read you can feel free to come to my town and butcher the damn thing  :cool:
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 30, 2005, 12:11:23 AM
Reply #26

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
Im currently reading Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King.
Its the fifth book in his dark tower series, his fantasy series. Its okay.

Outside of Joseph Heller, Douglas Adams and Isaac Asimov nothing ever seems to hold my interest long.

June 30, 2005, 07:09:19 AM
Reply #27

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I gave up on the Dark Tower partway into Wizard and Glass. Stephen King has been pretty bad since he got run over, it seems. That's probably just a coincidence. Wasn't he going to quit writing?
Best thread ever

June 30, 2005, 07:27:42 AM
Reply #28

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I read the fifth one. I didn't really like it, especially since I'm not exactly fond of the way he wrote himself into the book.

June 30, 2005, 11:04:29 AM
Reply #29

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
He is in the book? I must say that I liked the first couple of books more but having read so much of it, I feel like I have to finish.

June 30, 2005, 11:49:33 AM
Reply #30

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I finished all the books for the same reason. And yes, he put himself in the book as a sort of character. It's not exactly a spoiler; he mentioned it when he was giving a seminar or something at some university.

July 06, 2005, 07:10:08 AM
Reply #31

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I'm also reading America: the Book, from the writers of the Daily Show. It's as hilarious as the show.
Best thread ever

July 06, 2005, 07:47:04 PM
Reply #32

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Rogue Warrior's Strategy for Success: A Commando's Principles of Winning

Behold a Pale Horse

I swear upon MUGA that these are good reads, and if you shouldn't be satisfied with either read you can feel free to come to my town and butcher the damn thing  :cool:
[snapback]51694[/snapback]
^^
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

July 06, 2005, 09:46:36 PM
Reply #33

Nadja

• Lerker

• View Profile
I've recently finished Tartarin de Tarascon by Alphonse Daudet, Dubliners by James Joyce, The Odyssey trans. by ****les, Vol de nuit by Saint-Exupery, and Jennifer Government by Max Barry.

I'm half-way through The History by Herodotus. I truly enjoyable history that can be easily found online. I'm working on A History of Narrative Film by David Cook.

Oh and I've recently discovered just how rusty my Biblical Greek is. Hopefully I can bring up to the level of my Latin, which is nothing to brag about.

I have a whole stack of French books that I brought back from Montreal to read as well as the corpus of Western thought in the form of Britanicca's Gread Ideas series. So much to do so little time.

Catcher in the Rye was a enjoyable. The book that made me want kill the main character was Bigger, which I had to read for summer reading. Oh and you Sci-Fi fan's should try out Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age and Snow Crash, although he tends to dwell on the technologies, which, for me, is a plus.
Likes to use new aliases. Try to guess!

July 06, 2005, 10:13:38 PM
Reply #34

Rath

• Legacy Admin
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Just finished Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card - the last book in the Bean series, which starts with a book that happens at the same time as Ender's Game(great book!)

Currently reading a collection of short stories by Arthur C. Clarke (wrote 2001: a Space Odyssey)
I throw myself upon these OC's in the name of King Bill!!

July 07, 2005, 07:38:10 AM
Reply #35

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
The Zombie Survival Guide, by Max Brooks.... its essential

THE BOOK.

July 11, 2005, 08:19:34 PM
Reply #36

Spectre X

• Skulk

• View Profile
sci fi and horror books for me (if you can call anything horror)

the Ender's game saga (all like 8 of em, including the shadow ones0

the shining

IT

the stand...

all are awesome.

July 12, 2005, 10:42:58 PM
Reply #37

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I read a ton, but I've traditionally shunned fantasy books just because I'm notorious for getting sucked into large pulp collections (Star Wars, for instance).  Recently I picked up The Thousand Orcs by R.A. Salvatore, and actually enjoyed it.  I also finally know just what Guenhwyvar is.  Too bad my penguins have no sway on the astral plane :D

But I digress.  I'm also simultaneously reading through Winston Churchill's Second World War memoirs.  They're in-depth but quite dry at times, and are also rather long.
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

July 13, 2005, 12:16:32 AM
Reply #38

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
When I read these days it's mostly out of math journals, but I have to give props to my favorite book of all time, Small Gods. If you like Adams-style humor, witicisms about religion and philosophy, or Terry Pratchett, it might be the book that changes your life.

I'm only really waiting on A Song of Ice and Fire and the last book in Age of Unreason, the former of which is the best modern fantasy as far as I'm concerned, the latter of which is a neat little alternate history where Newton's alchemical experiments turn out to be fruitful. The last book in Unreason is actually out, but I haven't picked it up yet.
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...

September 28, 2005, 06:13:35 PM
Reply #39

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
currently reading:
The Art of War for all your warmaking needs

books that you should read:
The Art of Deception (give it back, nooblet ... or bring it to the house when we go out)
Hacking Windows XP (white hat hacks)
Battle Royale (did someone say weeaboo? i thought i heard someone say weeaboo)

on my (to read list)
The Art of Intrusion (lot's of The Art of * books, eh)
The Network Security Bible
Windows Server 2003 Administration (and you thought the xbox was microsoft's heaviest product)
Cracking the Data Encryption Standard (aka Cracking DES)