Author Topic: Book++?  (Read 11289 times)

June 22, 2005, 06:55:05 AM
Read 11289 times

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Who's reading something cool? Guen had me start The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, by Roger Zelazny. It's a collection of 10 fantasy books in a series about a place called Amber. I'm currently on the fourth and it kicks absolute ass.

btw, no spoilers here please!

*stickied* -dev
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 06:18:43 PM by devicenull »
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

June 22, 2005, 07:10:24 AM
Reply #1

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Why not!  I'm reading Opening Mexico: The Making of a Democracy.  A little slow, but I've been enjoying it like crazy.

Two reporters lately posted in Mexico by the New York Times review the county's recent political history in this hefty narrative. The authors structure their story line around the relinquishment of presidential power, which was held without interruption for the preceding 70 years by the Institutional Revolutionary Party (known as the PRI), in the 2000 election. They develop the PRI's increasingly blatant rigging of elections over the course of the 1980s and 1990s and the types of opposition the chicanery provoked. They describe the protests and appraise the motivations of election monitors, intellectuals, candidates, Mexican journalists, and leaders of a rebellion in Chiapas. As for the PRI's response to discontent with its rule, the authors recount the ascent of figures such as Carlos Salinas and Ernesto Zedillo and their differences in handling the severe crises (assassinations, the collapse of the currency, the wave of hypercriminality) that wracked Mexico during their terms. With a concluding and diffident portrayal of current president Vicente Fox, Preston and Dillon have compiled a crowded, comprehensive survey for watchers of contemporary Mexican politics.

Pretty awesome, huh?   :p

June 22, 2005, 07:55:42 AM
Reply #2

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
State Of Fear, by Michael Crichton. It's about the "truth" behind global warming and other supposedly harmful effects on the environment, as well as a group of eco-terrorists using advanced coordination techniques and how a group of people, headed by a federal agent and a wealthy philanthropist, try to uncover what is going on.

June 22, 2005, 07:57:04 AM
Reply #3

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Hehe, just finshed reading Angels and Demons, nice bit of "fiction"   ;)

June 22, 2005, 09:26:46 AM
Reply #4

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
hehe I'm reading 'Harry Potter' - I'm up to the 4th book, and I'm totaly into it, but my coworkers have me hooked on watching Lost - so my spare time has gone from computer, to reading, to lost ;)  Almost done with it though.

Side note:  I'm not a reader - so Harry potter is a big commitment and achievment for me.  gooooooo me \o/

June 22, 2005, 09:28:23 AM
Reply #5

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Not reading anything currently, but I did read The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien for my term paper during the year and I must say it was by far the best book ive read in quite some time.

June 22, 2005, 09:37:03 AM
Reply #6

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
hehe I'm reading 'Harry Potter' - I'm up to the 4th book, and I'm totaly into it, but my coworkers have me hooked on watching Lost - so my spare time has gone from computer, to reading, to lost ;)  Almost done with it though.

Side note:  I'm not a reader - so Harry potter is a big commitment and achievment for me.  gooooooo me \o/
[snapback]51337[/snapback]

Ahh, I love Lost. It's a shame the season has ended though.

June 22, 2005, 10:57:05 AM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Finished 'BreakFast of Champions' and 'Slaughterhouse 5' by vonnegut, currently reading 'Grapes of Wrath'.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 22, 2005, 11:12:21 AM
Reply #8

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
hehe I'm reading 'Harry Potter' - I'm up to the 4th book, and I'm totaly into it, but my coworkers have me hooked on watching Lost - so my spare time has gone from computer, to reading, to lost ;)  Almost done with it though.

Side note:  I'm not a reader - so Harry potter is a big commitment and achievment for me.  gooooooo me \o/
[snapback]51337[/snapback]

Ahh, I love Lost. It's a shame the season has ended though.
[snapback]51339[/snapback]
Lost is an awesome show.

And I plan on picking up the new Harry Potter book.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

June 22, 2005, 11:29:49 AM
Reply #9

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
I read the paper this morning, if that counts.

June 22, 2005, 01:02:41 PM
Reply #10

Wolfwood

• Skulk

• View Profile
I'm currently working on a lot of books right now.... lemme list them.

Book of Amber - Roger Zelazny(I found it on my dad's shelves, but I haven't quite gotten too far into it)

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger (I managed to not read it during my sophomore year, so I'm doing it now)

And these next 3 are just for kicks, found them in the basement:

The Prince - Machiavelli

Divine Comedy - Dante

Leviathan - Hobbes (probably not going to read this one, I was just inspired to pick it up after having forgotten what Hobbes had taught during the AP test >.<)

For my Junior year, I have to read:

Fountainhead - Ayn Rand (not sure what to think, my girlfriend is reading it and having major conflicts with the whole thing and getting all spastic)

Of Mice and Men (i can't remember the author, wow I suck)

There Are No Children Here - Alex Kotlowitz (never even heard of this book, but I have to read it anyways)

And the book that I'm currently reading/most interested in, due to my dark nature  :ph34r: :

Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice

^^ Good book.

Yeah, so I plan to read the 6th Harry Potter book whenever that comes out too. Yup...

Edit: I was so inspired to bold all the book names... and italicize the authors ^_^
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 01:07:08 PM by Wolfwood »

June 22, 2005, 01:10:44 PM
Reply #11

[JFF]Kirby

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
ive gotta read the long walk for school over summer break... there were other books but since this one is stephen king its probably the best...

then its off to 1984... im not a very intense reader though so i probably wont get around to it for a while yet..

June 22, 2005, 01:15:13 PM
Reply #12

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I read the paper this morning, if that counts.
[snapback]51350[/snapback]
baby steps!

June 22, 2005, 02:48:11 PM
Reply #13

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Fountainhead - Ayn Rand (not sure what to think, my girlfriend is reading it and having major conflicts with the whole thing and getting all spastic)
[snapback]51357[/snapback]
I read the Fountainhead, at least up until the end. The style of the writing was great, the way structures/architecture and such were described. However I never really paid attention to the philosophy of it, even thought I guess that was the entire point of the book.. which was why I stopped reading at some point during the 4,000 page speech dictating what Ayn Rand thought about whatever the crap. Yawn!

ive gotta read the long walk for school over summer break... there were other books but since this one is stephen king its probably the best...
[snapback]51358[/snapback]
You're reading the Long Walk.. for school? Wow. Do you know what it's about? This isn't spoiling since it's revealed right away: it's a race where everyone walks above a certain speed until one person is left, and it's violent, and a lot of fun. Beware the blisters...

I started a thread about Lost since three people mentioned it: http://www.lunixmonster.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3315
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

June 23, 2005, 11:13:57 AM
Reply #14

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I've read one of rand's books. "Atlas Shrugged".

Longest. Read. Evar.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 23, 2005, 11:35:28 AM
Reply #15

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger (I managed to not read it during my sophomore year, so I'm doing it now)

Both very good books I must say. The Foutainhead has a story, but it is second after all the things the book makes you question about society.

And, Nite, I still need to read Atlas Shrugged. I assume it's good?
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

June 23, 2005, 11:35:32 AM
Reply #16

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
the grey king

by susan cooper

probably my favorite book ever. and i dotn like fantasy

June 23, 2005, 03:15:39 PM
Reply #17

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

Both very good books I must say. The Foutainhead has a story, but it is second after all the things the book makes you question about society.

And, Nite, I still need to read Atlas Shrugged. I assume it's good?
[snapback]51410[/snapback]
Never has any book inspired a stronger urge for me to do physical violence to the main character than Catcher in the Rye.

Meh, she's long winded and has a simplistic view of the world. It was an alright read. But drawn out. DRAAAAAWN OUUUUUT...
-Richard Feynman

June 23, 2005, 03:39:05 PM
Reply #18

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Leviafan, by Boris Okunin (Russian). Some detective story set the mid-19th century... it's good :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

June 23, 2005, 06:13:06 PM
Reply #19

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Bunch of sci-fi here.. these are all good books
Back slash - William h Lovejoy
Secret Realms - Tom Cool
Ender's game - Orson Scott Card (This is a awesome book)
Dreaming Metal - Melissa Scott
Exegesis - Astro Teller

Also a good book, The Art of Deception - Kevin Mitnick

I have to go out to my car later and get the rest of the books that are in there

Also, any book by Issac Asimov, is well worth reading.. (I didn't like the foundation series though), I managed to find a digital copy of every sci-fi book he wrote :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 06:17:49 PM by devicenull »