Author Topic: Explain Your Name  (Read 26973 times)

January 14, 2004, 12:41:53 PM
Read 26973 times

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Why do you play under the name that you play under? Is it of any special significance or did you just pick at random while staring at the ceiling and drooling on yourself? Explain!

My name was chosen in an effort to be anti-l33t. It's supposed to be the opposite of names like Xx$il3nt$n|p3r666xX. Because none of us can stand those people, and I'm just doing my part for humanity. Otherwise, there's no real significance to it. My name's not Bob, and I've never held the position of sanitation engineer.

And the justifying your existence part is optional. Except for you, Lito. Why do you exist? (Grimm is exempt from this part, as he does not exist)

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 14, 2004, 12:56:28 PM
Reply #1

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
well what were you the first day you played ns? i had no idea what was going on so i became confused!
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

January 14, 2004, 01:16:38 PM
Reply #2

BlaqWolf

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
i replaced the "ck" in "black" with "q" so it made it kinda the same... Black... Blaq...

so yeah, basically i just picked at random while staring at the ceiling and drooling on myself

i also like wolves...  <3
*In Soviet Russia, armory humps you!

January 14, 2004, 01:20:34 PM
Reply #3

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You get to hear the story of my multiplayer gaming life for this one :D

In my MUDs I chose the name Elminstar. This was like... 6 years ago, and I didn't know how to spell Elminster too well :p Retired that name and really generally never played online games. I mean, ######, the only options were crap twitch deathmatch games like CS and Quake2, or whatever. So really I avoided the multiplayer scene. This was back in ye days when games included lengthy, well-made single player content. So I survived. I experimented with Starcraft for a bit, but amongst the 10 billion 'OMG DBZ RP OMG JOINWTF SUPERSAIYANVEGITADBZMAADXXXX!!!$!&!(@*' games and 'BGHv848783.9!!!!! BGHGBHGBHG OMG ALL DAY!', the only game I truely enjoyed was Bunker Wars... I was a god at that game :p

My first dedicated multiplayer game was TFC. I believe the name I used was... Monkeybonk? That might be wrong. I played it for so long though, I think I went through several name changes. Monkeybonk was cleverly ripped off someone else who played Age of Empires with my friend :p. I became fairly proficient with soldier class... and I played TFC until...

Tribes 2, where I bounced around with names. From Monkeybonk, to ShrikeStrike (Piloting fun!), eventually settling on Uranium-235. Well unfortunately Uranium-235 was taken. So being the clever little bastard I am I added spaces around the hyphen. Then I found out generally how much better Uranium - 235 looks compared to Uranium-235. Then I founded the now-defunct Atomic Modding and pretty much started a massive trend among mod-modding (Sorta the equivilent of Half-Life plugins). Atomic Modding consisted of me and Plutonium - 239. Eventually we got more coders, then internal strife and source code leaks tore it apart. Having everything we had worked on publically available, we desperately tried to regroup but it just didn't work. I was too burned out to care about modding anymore. (Didn't even get a chance to finish the Black Dragon Project... the biggest, most powerful weapon system ever put into Tribes, hands down. HERCs had NOTHING on this bad boy).

Uranium - 235... only naturally occuring fissile element on earth. Contrary to popular belief, 238 is non-fissile without complex enrichment (whereupon it turns into Neptunium, then to Plutonium - 239, fissile) Uranium - 232 does exist, but it is turned into Plutonium.

(Just a note, Plutonium - 239 is still around somewhere... I think Atomic Modding might exist in some form, but really, he's failed at just about every 'project' he's tried without me :p)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 01:23:19 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 14, 2004, 01:31:04 PM
Reply #4

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Dubbilex.  Basically, Superboy's nanny.

Yeah - it's that goddman random.  I kid you not.  But it's also an interesting double entendre of my name being some bastardized spelling of    "double-x," i reckon.  So yeah - I'm a witty fella allright.  :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 01:32:02 PM by Dubb »

January 14, 2004, 01:41:19 PM
Reply #5

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The Watchmen.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 14, 2004, 01:47:43 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The Watchmen.
Alan Moore is my dark god to whom I offer regular sacrifices of small furry animals.

But Rorschach was cooler. ; )

January 14, 2004, 02:03:08 PM
Reply #7

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
my name, too has roots in MUDding

Carrionfields or Riftshadow? aynone?

anyway, I had a badass ranger character on a MUD called Carrionfields, and I was part of a cabal called the Sylvans.  I would just lay in wait outside the city gates, camoflagues wearing whatever gear i had stolen ( usually nice stuff, cause noone but noone beats a ranger in the woods)  and i would ambush from my cover, and totally own people...

Now I love playing silent cloaked redeem skulk, and waiting above doorways for 3 or more rines to run through, and then eat them...

my name
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

January 14, 2004, 02:52:38 PM
Reply #8

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Man, I'm boring.  My name is based on my real name, only misspelled somewhat
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

January 14, 2004, 02:54:38 PM
Reply #9

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
Walking around thinking of names until I picked this one(I'm fairly bad with names)

January 14, 2004, 02:56:09 PM
Reply #10

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The Watchmen.
Alan Moore is my dark god to whom I offer regular sacrifices of small furry animals.

But Rorschach was cooler. ; )
yes, he probably was. but i can't in all seriousness say that i'm even close to that tough. but a pudgy geek with rad gadgets who gets the girl? oh, yeah, i'm niteowl all right.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 14, 2004, 04:00:05 PM
Reply #11

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I've went through a lot of names but I settled on this one, why?

I'm a gemini and (I thought) nobody else had the name already =3
Turns out 1 person does have this name (it just didn't turn up on my google search for some reason) but they've not been seen in like 3 years and don't deserve this cool lil name so it's MINE!!! MINE I TELL YOU XD
that and the hotmail account was free ^^

The name before this was actually 100% original, I was the only one with the name on the whole intarweb, buuut I don't like it as much as I did so I moved on =D

January 14, 2004, 04:02:48 PM
Reply #12

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I dont exist....
:)
Does my name really need an explanation?

January 14, 2004, 04:13:07 PM
Reply #13

Satanic Monkey

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.thecatacombs.net
Well i used to be into Satanic or dark stuff , so my friends called me Satanic. Also I like monkeys, so there Satanic Monkey and besides who doesn't like monkeys that are involved in the Dark Side.
Don't mess with me punk, I'll post in your

January 14, 2004, 04:36:05 PM
Reply #14

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
who doesn't like monkeys that are involved in the Dark Side
Televangelist bananas?

(You people have got to stop giving me these easy setups)

January 14, 2004, 04:39:25 PM
Reply #15

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
The Tale of Anem is long and.. long. Really.
Once upon a time there was a man. But, this man was no ordinary man, he was THREE men. With eyes.. that were like.. little numbers and with crazy names like "Jake" or.. "Jake". Now, these men have no relavance to the story at all.. But yeah.. thats just one crazy name.. I mean, "Jake". Really.
Anyways, there was another man, who went by the name... er.. wow.. I forgot the mans name. Anyways. He use to play Science and Industry under the name "Catric" and he did all sorts of stupid stuff.. like playing Science and industry.. under the name "Catric"... and stuff. Now one day, this man did something that no one had done before. He had got himself a mullet.. but not any mullet a New Electric varaity. Upon such an event he discovered that he should rename himself. Thus he renamed himself "Guy with the new electric mullet" but that was kinda long.. and stupid. So he tried again with "A new electric mullet" but again his name was flawed. So he decided to change his name to "Kerrick" and was never seen from again. Now, meanwhile someone else, elsewhere was all like "Hey.. I have this really cool, name with a bit of an ironic religious tie-in, but I need to shorten it" so his friend was all like "How about the name ANeM? I mean, theres that ironic religious tie-in.. and ANeM sounds kinda like Amen. It makes sense in a weird way" and the guy was all like "er.. Okay"
and Everyone lived happily ever after.
er.. Except Jake.. What kind of name is Jake?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 04:41:05 PM by ANeM »

January 14, 2004, 05:15:41 PM
Reply #16

crack

• Skulk

• View Profile
I use to be a Hacker,Defacer, Exploiter,Virus Coder but my favorite thing to do was crack websites.

Ah, The joy. I cracked over 100 different sites in 1 hour. Finding at least 200 passwords for each. Then became white, i emailed sites and told them how to improve and what to fix - I defaced dcshoeco.com because they were using a bugged IIS they never responded to my email so i replaced their index it was down for 4 days. I defaced many other sites and told them about their holes then they started offering me money through paypal. Which is how i opened CrackR0X.com 2 yrs ago(no longer in service).

I started CrackR0X.com as a personal website, i had cracking tools and tutorials but then i also had some CS stuff. Getting Unlimited everything for only 10$ a month, i hosted some guys skin packs. They soon became popular, very popular, It was on PHL,CSNation and some other websites. So i decided to turn into a CS Community, I got over 20,000 visits a day and 80000 hits a day. Over 120GBS of transfer used. I hosted the famous "Fusion Packs" versions 4-10 which were downloaded like 500 times. I also had alot of other shat like models,sound packs, tons of 'skill' videos were hosted along with clips like Miltia1/2.

I started to play NS then after popular demand we moved from a CS Community into HL. Then i started to host alot of NS files DOD,FA ect. Then in the summer i couldnt keep up with it anymore(too many parties to go to every day) so it closed in September 2003.

January 14, 2004, 06:15:47 PM
Reply #17

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
Nuketheplace, my names mutated over the years.  First let me explain that I was 9 when I came up with this name.  My story is a long one so stick with me.

So one day I was playing Starcraft and I thought to my self "why don't I play on line?"  That was the first time I have ever played a game on line.  Now common since dictated that because I was nine I shouldn't give out my name on the net.  So in order to play on battle.net I had to come up with a screen name and fast.  You remember how you were at nine?  You liked or still like big bombs that make lots of things go boom.  Thats why I liked Terran, more specifically ghosts and their nukes.  If you remember nukes cost a lot of money and had a very low chance of actually hitting their target.  So my dream was to nuke the place.  And my name came out of that.  Now I'm thinking of changing it or shorting it to nuke, but thats kind of unoriginal and its also another story.

January 14, 2004, 06:18:20 PM
Reply #18

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
FFS that story wasn't long... MINE was long :D

January 14, 2004, 07:34:01 PM
Reply #19

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
in my newbie days of ns (1.04) i was afraid of screwing up and making my team lose by dying as a fade or something. so i just always permagorged. one day someone said like 'hey fatty heal me' and i did, then he said 'thanks fatty'. it kind of stuck. no, i don't weigh 300 lbs or anything.

dang it these forums need the ns.org smilies where you can put in the picture of marines, aliens, turrets and such so i can add a gorgie...