Author Topic: So Many Newbies...  (Read 24505 times)

January 12, 2004, 08:32:21 PM
Reply #20

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Well...all I can say is this:  sh*t happens.

Just try not to let the aforementioned crap get to you.  If you've found a particularly annoying batch of players, run away.  Read a book.  Get some food.  Come back later when people who you can stand are on.

*edit* you bastards.... :p
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 05:10:17 AM by Dubb »

January 12, 2004, 10:56:43 PM
Reply #21

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
People you can stand.. on? Like really short people? I take offense to that. Ok, not to be the grammar nazi (too late) but this is why you don't end your sentences with prepositions if it can be avoided, children. That is something up with which I will not put. :p

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 12, 2004, 11:15:58 PM
Reply #22

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
yeah, i'm sorry, i've never seen that preposition at the end of a sentence before. i mean, i'm sure his grammer isn't really on. and likewise, i'll make sure that i make sentences that more conform to what you're after.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 13, 2004, 01:00:32 AM
Reply #23

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Wouldn't be so irritating if I actually could play a game with 8 vs 8 from start to finish. Haven't had one in about 2 weeks now

January 13, 2004, 05:09:21 AM
Reply #24

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
So I forgot a word.  I hate you all.  :rolleyes:  :p

January 13, 2004, 06:40:48 AM
Reply #25

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Wouldn't be so irritating if I actually could play a game with 8 vs 8 from start to finish. Haven't had one in about 2 weeks now
I agree. While we have rules in place that forbid just going to the readyroom because "omg we've lost F4 F4!", we can't really prevent people from simply leaving the server. Gets frustrating.

January 13, 2004, 12:43:59 PM
Reply #26

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
yeah, i'm sorry, i've never seen that preposition at the end of a sentence before. i mean, i'm sure his grammer isn't really on. and likewise, i'll make sure that i make sentences that more conform to what you're after.
F- See me after class.

I laughed. ; )

And on the nubbage - I always try and be the one switching teams around when things start getting bad. But when it's, say, end game and the aliens are assaulting MS and the marines are just turtling it up, I hate switching. Sitting while your base is slowly destroyed is no real fun, and by this point the comm has already given up, so there's no point in having extra men except to drag the game on.

January 13, 2004, 01:06:18 PM
Reply #27

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
One solution to this is to simply hand out reserved slots like crazy to good players that we want to have around, and crowd out the n00b crowd by sheer numbers.
To the stars!

insert witty line here

January 13, 2004, 01:12:17 PM
Reply #28

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
One solution to this is to simply hand out reserved slots like crazy to good players that we want to have around, and crowd out the n00b crowd by sheer numbers.
That would require people that are actually reserved-slot-worthy, now, wouldn't it? :D

January 13, 2004, 02:35:29 PM
Reply #29

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
There's some ok people out there that don't have a reserved slot yet. I don't know what they're like enough yet to actually recommend anything. No one gets any <3 from Uranium.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 15, 2004, 10:43:38 AM
Reply #30

Architeuthis

• Gorge

• View Profile
We need more rules!

NSPlayer: Hey admin, do you know where I can download the custom maps for this server?
ARCHITEUTHIS THE BEST ADMIN EVER: You just said "you"! That word has the letter u in it! U IS PART OF A VERY BAD SWEAR WORD. PERMABANNED.

And that's how Arch became the only player able to access the server.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 10:43:56 AM by Architeuthis »

January 15, 2004, 11:26:35 AM
Reply #31

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
i like this idea. i always have an eye out. usually, when i get type killed, its me looking at a particularly good/nice/teamplaying player's steam_id :)
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 15, 2004, 12:20:35 PM
Reply #32

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
I dunno if this is relevant or not, but its a bit of experience...

This nub problem we're having isn't just present in the gaming industry, It seems to be the nasty underbelly of online pop-culture.

3 years ago i was the moderator of the "Other Religions" and " Why Not Me" boards on TeenTalk (they have a tv show now :/)  I started backseat adminning in the other religions board, cause of all the flamers, you had the christian fundamentalists who were flaming the muslims, the muslims were flaming hte christians, the Hindi's were setting flametraps, bla blabla blabla....  Eventually they made me a real mod so i could lock posts and delete them, since the real mod was idle for 6 mos. But while i was modding, the thing i couldnt figure out is, these people belonged to very different people groups, the only common thread was that they had nothing better to do than sit on the computer for hours a day, I play NS and other games in my Free Time its not all i do...  Lack of skill notwithstanding, I bet these kids were allways banning do nothing but sit on their comp and play games.

Wielding the Banhammer seems reasonable, and yes, LM does have a rep, I remember more than one post on the NS boards talking about servers, and which ones were good saying "Lunixmonster is good, but dont fork around being nubbish, they will ban you in a flash"

Mebbe we should direct these poor products of society to rehabilitative therapy, ettiquete training, and most of all, Send them to a Hack-i.d. clinic, so they stop saying OMG HMG CANT KILL SKULK WITH CARA!!! HAXXXXXX
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

January 15, 2004, 01:37:09 PM
Reply #33

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well then get on the ns.org/forums and advertise LM.

January 15, 2004, 01:49:46 PM
Reply #34

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
yes, uber pimpage, esp on threads where everyone seems to know what they are talking about/are patient with others/are willing to learn.
-Richard Feynman

January 15, 2004, 02:48:10 PM
Reply #35

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
that would be the off topic forums i think.... but i don't think its allowed o_O

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

January 15, 2004, 02:51:01 PM
Reply #36

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It surely couldn't hurt if we were all to slip it into our sigs, though...

January 15, 2004, 02:54:17 PM
Reply #37

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Put it in Gen Disc, say some crap about... stuff, I've seen threads there before.

EDIT: Yes I've seen lots of threads, but even some advertising servers.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 02:54:34 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 15, 2004, 03:42:06 PM
Reply #38

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I've had the link to these Lunixmonster forums in my NS sig for a while, perhaps I need to pizazz it up a bit to get some more attention there.

Anyone know if theres a way to make a sig a link in itself? The idea is that when people scroll down a page and they hover over my sig for a sec, they'll notice the cursor change and possibly click it.

January 15, 2004, 03:46:28 PM
Reply #39

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
you can pimp a server, you just can't complain about them? or something? it'sin the FAQs.

i do know you can pimp them, they almost always get buried though :)
-Richard Feynman