Author Topic: Marine tricks  (Read 6567 times)

March 03, 2005, 08:26:08 AM
Read 6567 times

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
1.  How do you alternate running and jumping so fast you can very nearly outrun a celerity onos.
2.  How do you jump bakcwards so fast repeatedly.  I can only seem to get one jump and it's very half hearted.
3.  What is your trick to knifing?  I can't seem to get anything but the lamest knife kill.

Just trying to ge some leetness.   :p

March 03, 2005, 09:00:44 AM
Reply #1

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Well there are several things you can do as marine to go faster. One is wigglewalking... another is wallstrafing. There are also ways you can jump around the map making you go a bit faster (jumping on crates/ledges stops the slow-down attendant upon landing). That's all I know.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 03, 2005, 09:46:47 AM
Reply #2

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Mr. B and Eb are viewing this thread, uh oh.

I find that the knife favors the opportunist. Pay attention to how much damage a skulk takes in a melee, and if you see an opening (say the skulk turns away or tries to move around you) dont hesitate to stab away. HD does it all the bloody time when you least expect it.

March 03, 2005, 10:04:51 AM
Reply #3

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Just treat the knife as another gun, rather than last resort.  Remember it's equal to 3 shots of an unupgraded LMG.  Once you start aiming it like a gun and getting your timing right you can get all sorts of knife kills.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

March 03, 2005, 10:49:31 AM
Reply #4

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Being knife killed isn't that bad, don't feel pwned or whatever when it happens. The knife has a prodigious ROF and takes off a good chunk of the skulks health. You'll notice most rines who are good at knifing will get a few hefty shots into the skulk first and usually duck and jump around to make it harder for the skulk.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 03, 2005, 11:10:19 AM
Reply #5

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Can you guys drop me some specifics on who to do this stuff, ie. the faster movement?

March 03, 2005, 12:58:41 PM
Reply #6

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Knife skills are luck and experience. Much like the skulk bite bite parasite combo.

Currently, you can seriously abuse the knife by timing your strikes and using knockback to laugh at most opponents. Knife juggling is good on Onos. This will change in B6, where it'll become more of a smack match.

As for backjumping, iirc its something to do with the angles and strafing, I think its mostly people strafejumping.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 03, 2005, 12:59:30 PM
Reply #7

Tooky

• Gorge

• View Profile
Wiggle walk = strafing left & right very rapidly
Wall Strafing = strafing against the wall you're next to while moving forward

March 03, 2005, 01:34:49 PM
Reply #8

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile

what does this accomplish? do you move faster or something?

March 03, 2005, 02:00:46 PM
Reply #9

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile

what does this accomplish? do you move faster or something?
[snapback]42310[/snapback]

yea, you move a bit faster. you can use this speed to bhop off of if you do it right, as well. helps moving in vents

March 03, 2005, 02:47:33 PM
Reply #10

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
Note: you can also wallstrafe while climbing ladders, you just have to look in a 45degree angle or so away, then pushing both forward and strafing, perhaps you have to look up too, can't remember specifically, i more or less just do it :p.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

March 03, 2005, 02:56:00 PM
Reply #11

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Note: you can also wallstrafe while climbing ladders, you just have to look in a 45degree angle or so away, then pushing both forward and strafing, perhaps you have to look up too, can't remember specifically, i more or less just do it :p.
[snapback]42326[/snapback]

Now that I think about it, I always do it! Just didn't notice, it's instinctive now.

Oh and one more helpful tip, try jumping in vents. Helps you move faster, most of the time, especially on vents sloped up (i.e. origin, ventilation -> ore extraction)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 03, 2005, 03:08:15 PM
Reply #12

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
The jumping, both forward and back, is most likely "glidejumping".  To glidejump forward, hold forward and a strafe key, and turn (move the mouse) in the direction that you're strafing.  This will increase your speed; then you jump after reaching a good speed.  To get a good speed, you'll need to experiment with different turn rates and distances.  (To see your speed, set cl_showspeed to 1.  Note that this will require sv_cheats 1.)  Glidejumping backward is essentially the same, but is done with only a strafe key because +back moves too slowly.  To glidejump backward, hold a strafe key while turning in the opposite direction of the strafe, and then jump.

Read this (and this along with it) for a rather thorough explanation of pretty much every physics quirk in the HL engine (though I don't believe it mentions wigglewalking).

The trick to knifing is to surprise the enemy with it.  In other words, don't just run at a skulk while slashing the air.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 03:13:50 PM by a civilian »

March 03, 2005, 03:40:38 PM
Reply #13

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
http://mrben.thezazi.net/demos/movement.zip assorted demos to go with any explanation. I can't really explain the movements i do as they're just natural for me.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

March 03, 2005, 04:38:21 PM
Reply #14

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
<3 people knoticing me play

Basicly just glide jump as much as you possibly can, civ gave a pretty good tute for glidejumping there, so use that to practice.  If you are really psycho like me wiggle walk as soon as you touch down and keep wiggle walking until your jump deceleration is killed enough to get another good glide jump in.  Wall walk as much as possible as well, it is easy to do and generally gives more of a reliable and achievable speed boost then either glide jumping or wiggle walking.

The real trick to it however (same thing for skulk bunnyhopping) is to know when a glidejump or rush into an area is a bad idea.  Moving around the map slightly faster is all fine and dandy, but it really doesn't help you much if all it is doing is rushing you straight into a skulks ambush.  Learn when to push as much speed out of your unit as you can, and when to slow it down and make the skulks rushing at you a much easier shot.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 03, 2005, 06:03:59 PM
Reply #15

moo5003

• Lerker

• View Profile
Marine Speed Tricks:

I will list each trick and which is the faster method etc.

1) Wiggle Walking: Wiggling your mouse right to left while you walk in rapid succession with no real pattern to it will speed you up.  This however is by far the slowest 'trick' available and should only be used if you do not want to jump at that moment.  The advantage of this is you still go somewhat faster while making less noise then other methods.

2) Jump Walking: Jump walking is a semi-bhop.  Instead of just walking forward or wiggle walking you can jump walk.  Ie: Jump and then wait till you regain normal speed and then jump again.  Overall this is faster then normal walking and wiggle walking but it makes alot of noise.  It also makes you somewhat more vulnerable when you hit the ground because of the anti-bhop that is coded in.  Thus you need to use it carefully.

3) Angle Jumping: Angle jumping is a BHOP for marines.  Marines are still able to bhop if their second or even third/fourth jump is quickly executed before the anti-bhop code takes effect.  This is plausible when you are jumping on something higher then when you started.  For instance you can angle jump off a railing or a ramp that is going up.  Ramps are special cases because they are continuouly going up and therefore you can bhop up the entire thing if you do it correctly.  This is faster then wiggle walking and jump walking and there is really no disadvantage other then the noise you create.

4) Wall Strafing:  Wall strafing is when there are straight walls that you are able to use to your advantage.  For instance, if your going to topographical from MS you can normal walk forward and use your strafe keys against the railing.  If you look to your right while using your left strafe against the railing while also hitting forward you will go much faster then normal.  This is better then all previous methods if its a long wall, if its just a short railing I suggest an angle hop and then some wiggle/jump walking after.

These are the tricks that people use as marines to go faster then normal.  They take some time to get used to them and after awhile they become 2nd nature.

Marine Jumping Backward Tactics:

Well there is really no trick to jumping backwards more then once but I will explain how I do it and hopefully it will help to some degree.  When I jump backwards I actually look were I'm jumping, jump and then look back for an instance.  I keep doing this until I need to fire upon enemies behind me.  So, In essence I'm not actually jumping backwards, I'm actually Jump Walking while looking backwards every time I'm in the air.  Hince how if you have mastered marine movement tricks you can easily incorporate jump walking into a good backward jump style.

Marine Knifing Tactics:

Obviously getting a sense of knifing range is a plus when you are faced with hand to hand, and some people find ducking to be of some benefit.  The real trick with this is just tracking, make sure you have the opposition is in your hit zone and try to hit/backup.  When I say backup that doesnt mean you should take him off your hit zone or stop your attack if he ever gets back in range again.  It just seems that skulks and other things attack faster then marines so it would be beneficial to exchange one hit at a time.

Hope I answered your questions.

March 03, 2005, 06:08:06 PM
Reply #16

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I find that a large part of knifing is about luck. The part of it that is skill involves knowing when to slash. You can usually make the cut if you swing at the same time as or a bit before you would fire a gun.

People have pretty much mentioned the most-used marine movement tricks.

March 04, 2005, 01:02:57 AM
Reply #17

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Actually you can double jump any direction you want.

#lessthanthree on qnet

March 04, 2005, 05:07:47 AM
Reply #18

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
How do you double jump any direction?

March 04, 2005, 05:19:06 AM
Reply #19

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
A marine can imitate bunnyhopping as long as he lands higher than when he first jumped. You can trick it by duck jumping as your first jump and then jumping again as you land without losing any momentum.

#lessthanthree on qnet