Author Topic: NS:S  (Read 4700 times)

January 08, 2005, 10:42:27 AM
Read 4700 times

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
So the next project is likely going to be NS on the Source engine. We don't know for sure if we're doing this, as we haven't had time to evaluate how much work it will be, but everyone on the team is excited to do it, so I think it will happen. We don't know yet if it is going to be a straight port over to Source, or if we're going to redo a lot of the artwork/animations, or if we're going to change a lot of the fundamental gameplay (flamethrowers, physics, etc.). We need to look into it more, see how many months it's going to take (the bad part) and then make a decision. As soon as we know, we'll let you guys know. NS on Source will be done primarily by the current NS team. I'll be doing the game design and overall direction, but the NS team will be doing all the actual work.

January 08, 2005, 10:54:11 AM
Reply #1

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I really wouldn't want a straight port of NS to Source. Sure, it'd look good and all, but what I want are gameplay changes. Completely new gameplay is what I'm looking for: I mean - completely redone tech tree for both Aliens and Marines, bigger servers - 32 vs 32 or so, vehicles, outdoor maps, etc. Everything that is shunned on the NS forums because it's impossible on the current engine!
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 08, 2005, 11:05:15 AM
Reply #2

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
No, its because most of the ideas suck and come from 9 year olds who want BIG BOMBS AND MISSLES OMG

January 08, 2005, 11:25:14 AM
Reply #3

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
o_O i'd like ns ported SORTA like it is.. gameplay wise... but with better graphics on the source engine of course.. new models and textures and the like :)
-_^

January 08, 2005, 11:46:52 AM
Reply #4

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I agree with Anarki in this one, but how would the Aliens counter vehicles? Bigger lifeforms?
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

January 08, 2005, 02:00:36 PM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
In the I&S forums (which I can't quote at the moment being that the NS site isn't working for me) Zunni mentioned that he was guessing from things flay had said to him that B6 would probably be the last update to NS before all attention was diverted to a sourse port.

He was suggesting that they take the I&S forums down for the time being since constant NS development would have been essentially stopped until the sourse version came up.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 08, 2005, 02:11:29 PM
Reply #6

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Anything is possible on the Source Engine.

January 08, 2005, 02:14:46 PM
Reply #7

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
SALAD SIMULATOR: SOURSE!!!
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 08, 2005, 05:43:01 PM
Reply #8

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I think they should just port it over. I dont feel like waiting till my senior year in college to play NS on the Source Engine

January 08, 2005, 06:54:37 PM
Reply #9

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I agree with Anarki in this one, but how would the Aliens counter vehicles? Bigger lifeforms?
[snapback]38214[/snapback]

if they gave marines vehicles (tanks and buggies with guns on em and stuff like that i guess o_O) then aliens would prolly get like... uberonostanks™ or something...
-_^

January 08, 2005, 07:33:18 PM
Reply #10

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Well, they could take a different approach and rather than give the aliens a vehicle equivlent, give them anti-vehicle structures. Such speed bump thingys, tire spikes, and the like.

January 08, 2005, 08:07:35 PM
Reply #11

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
Lerklift. And an upgrade to the the defensive abilities of Mr. Gorge.

Oh, and I'm sure vinegar splash and barf bomb would be re-worked to cause extra damage to vehicles.

January 08, 2005, 08:17:02 PM
Reply #12

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
if the NS maps are basically the same size, unless theres some sort of overpowered mech with dual laser cannons and anti tank missles for Marines. I really doubt any viecles would be actually, fun to drive.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 08:17:31 PM by Diablus »

January 08, 2005, 10:20:47 PM
Reply #13

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Guys. When I suggested vehicles and outdoor maps and such, I implied a total revamp of NS. Surely, vehicles aren't going to fit in present maps with present aliens.
Like they say, NS was battle, NS2 will be war. Or something like that.
Aliens should be adjusted to outdoor combat and open areas, more so than they are now. That way, you can have bigger maps, more players, more fun!
You cannot possibly change one thing drastically and expect everything to stay balanced. Either keep everything, or change everything. Latter option gets my vote! :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 08, 2005, 10:56:47 PM
Reply #14

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Yeah anti-vehicle structures would work good. We wouldn't want this turning into halo now would we?

January 09, 2005, 01:04:41 AM
Reply #15

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
i think ns is fine with close combat

January 09, 2005, 01:47:08 AM
Reply #16

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I'd prefer it remained close-combat because it makes more sense that way, but if they don't do anything to change gameplay (i.e. make marines not so powerful) I won't bother with it.

January 09, 2005, 09:42:44 AM
Reply #17

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Considering, Im pretty sure they could manage BOTH if they really wanted to.

Mind you since they went it out probably before duke nukem forever, They'll just do a semi port to steam, THEN go on to changing it compleatly, other wise it'd be just too long to wait.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

January 09, 2005, 11:00:52 AM
Reply #18

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I would rather have a direct port to Source and maybe a couple of things added at the most because I don't feel like waiting a long time for them to add a bunch of things. Besides, they could make a basic port and add things later anyway.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 09, 2005, 11:46:04 AM
Reply #19

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
if the NS maps are basically the same size, unless theres some sort of overpowered mech with dual laser cannons and anti tank missles for Marines. I really doubt any viecles would be actually, fun to drive.
[snapback]38252[/snapback]

:o why wouldnt it be fun driving a mech and annihilating every alien in your path >:D
-_^