Author Topic: N64 vs GameCube  (Read 11075 times)

December 22, 2004, 07:55:48 PM
Reply #60

Reasa

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
but as things stand it remains nothing more then a small stain on the N64's 5 minutes of (semi-)fame.
[snapback]37024[/snapback]

Edited for accuracy.
[snapback]37025[/snapback]

Provided those 5 minutes encompass from the moment of the N64's release till the announcement of the Game Cube. Also provided that you know very little about the subject and got lost in the forums and accidentally clicked on this topic, therefore making your claim of semi-fame irrelevant, then yes I suppose your information can then be considered accurate.

December 22, 2004, 08:02:21 PM
Reply #61

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
The playstation was decent, it had the FF games, and it had Metal Gear and it had uh...yeah

But the N64 had stuff such as Mario 64, Zelda OoT and Goldeneye.

December 22, 2004, 08:37:08 PM
Reply #62

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
but as things stand it remains nothing more then a small stain on the N64's 5 minutes of (semi-)fame.
[snapback]37024[/snapback]

Edited for accuracy.
[snapback]37025[/snapback]

Provided those 5 minutes encompass from the moment of the N64's release till the announcement of the Game Cube. Also provided that you know very little about the subject and got lost in the forums and accidentally clicked on this topic, therefore making your claim of semi-fame irrelevant, then yes I suppose your information can then be considered accurate.
[snapback]37027[/snapback]
All the way through to the gamecube? Hah! The N64 was dead long before then. You're kidding nobody but yourself by your repeated claims that the N64 is God's gift to consoles. You have to consider here that Nintendo were following on from 2 of the most highly acclaimed consoles of all gaming history, the NES and SNES, a tough act to follow, and they very nearly ended up in ruins because of it.

Compare this to the PSX, released in 1994 (Japan release), up until the very minute the PS2 was released in 2001, there were still games coming out for it, hell, they even released and sold games AFTER it was made redundant by it's bigger brother. That's 7 years it lasted, how long did the N64 last? Released in 1996 and, yes, they released games until the GC's release (November 2001), although they were mediocre (See: Conker's bad fur day and Madden 2002), only about 4-5 games were released in the entire YEAR of 2001, also, only one game was released in the latter half of 2001. The N64 was essentially dead on it's feet by late 1999. Now i can name 3 PSX releases that happened after the PS2's release (FF Origins, FF Anthology, FFVI), how many games were released after the GC's release? Oh, that's right, none.

In the history of major console disasters, the N64 is right in there, alongside the Jaguar, MegaCD, Sega Saturn and the Lynx.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

December 22, 2004, 08:41:37 PM
Reply #63

Architeuthis

• Gorge

• View Profile
The playstation was decent, it had the FF games, and it had Metal Gear and it had uh...yeah

But the N64 had stuff such as Mario 64, Zelda OoT and Goldeneye.
[snapback]37028[/snapback]

This pretty much proves you just think the N64 is better because you never played the PSX during it's prime, because it had a LOT MORE good games than just FF and Metal Gear.

Basically what it boils down to is that the style of games on both systems were very different. The PSX's main appeal was RPGs and survival horror games, not counting the slew of other types that were available. If you think the RPG selection stops at Final Fantasy you are HORRIBLY mistaken; just check the list on Gamefaqs. Great games on this system range from classic RPGs to action-fests like Twisted Metal 2. And let's not forget the masterpiece that is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

The N64 was platformers, FP/3rd person shooters and party games. Nintendo and Rare were almost the only companies producing decent games for the system, the rest of them were mainly crap. Notable exceptions are Body Harvest (Brought to us by Rockstar) and Space Station: Silicon Valley (Which, after checking just now, turns out to ALSO be by Rockstar).

I hate to bring age in a debate like this, but it's appropriate right now: Isamil, you defend the N64 because it's the system you grew up with. It's no wonder you're biased for it. If anyone tried to take a dump on my precious SNES you can be sure I wouldn't let it fly. Then again, I'd have the advantage of defending a console that really WAS good!

December 22, 2004, 09:00:02 PM
Reply #64

Reasa

• Skulk

• View Profile
All the way through to the gamecube? Hah! The N64 was dead long before then. You're kidding nobody but yourself by your repeated claims that the N64 is God's gift to consoles. You have to consider here that Nintendo were following on from 2 of the most highly acclaimed consoles of all gaming history, the NES and SNES, a tough act to follow, and they very nearly ended up in ruins because of it.

Compare this to the PSX, released in 1994 (Japan release), up until the very minute the PS2 was released in 2001, there were still games coming out for it, hell, they even released and sold games AFTER it was made redundant by it's bigger brother. That's 7 years it lasted, how long did the N64 last? Released in 1996 and, yes, they released games until the GC's release (November 2001), although they were mediocre (See: Conker's bad fur day and Madden 2002), only about 4-5 games were released in the entire YEAR of 2001, also, only one game was released in the latter half of 2001. The N64 was essentially dead on it's feet by late 1999. Now i can name 3 PSX releases that happened after the PS2's release (FF Origins, FF Anthology, FFVI), how many games were released after the GC's release? Oh, that's right, none.

In the history of major console disasters, the N64 is right in there, alongside the Jaguar, MegaCD, Sega Saturn and the Lynx.
[snapback]37029[/snapback]

Could you please show me how the N64 "nearly put them in ruins"?

Also one of the best games for the N64 was released after the Game Cube: Paper Mario, which I have yet to hear a bad word spoken of.

I'm not quite sure what you’re getting at here, you claim the 64 was a horrible system that nearly ruined Nintendo then you offer nothing to back up your claims other then "They didn't release enough games after their new system came out".

December 22, 2004, 09:29:54 PM
Reply #65

Architeuthis

• Gorge

• View Profile

Also one of the best games for the N64 was released after the Game Cube: Paper Mario, which I have yet to hear a bad word spoken of.

I'm not quite sure what you’re getting at here, you claim the 64 was a horrible system that nearly ruined Nintendo then you offer nothing to back up your claims other then "They didn't release enough games after their new system came out".
[snapback]37036[/snapback]

You are coooooooooompletely wrong about Paper Mario. It came out during the N64's lifetime; the end of it, sure, but still part of it. You're confusing it with it's sequel, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, that was released recently. I won't deny them both being fantastic games, though.

December 22, 2004, 09:57:07 PM
Reply #66

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com

[snapback]37036[/snapback]

:D adobe acrobat. Loading a 50 page financial report from nintendo.com crashed it, time to retype all of this post.

Paper Mario, for a start, was released in February 2001, as you can read in nintendo.com's official N64 release list. And the GCN was released in North America on the 18th November 2001, which you can check with gamespy.com's GCN timeline.

In 2001, Nintendo announced a 43% drop in profits, partly blamed on the Nintendo 64's poor sales (source). In 2000 they announced a 20% drop in profits. (source), once again pointing to the N64 In this article it also goes on to claim a 35% profit loss due to poor N64 sales, back in 2000.

Nintendo's saving grace was their domination (~47%) of the hand held market, and their ability to peddle knock-off pokemon games to kids with more money than sense.

EDIT: Also, if memory serves me right, the N64, whilst it officially ceased production around September 2001, was already off of store shelves by late 2000-early 2001.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 09:59:23 PM by esuna »

December 22, 2004, 10:36:50 PM
Reply #67

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile

You totally discredit yourself by not mentioning the ABOMINATION that was the Virtual Boy.

December 22, 2004, 11:14:51 PM
Reply #68

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
On the subject of releasing PS games after PS2 is out... this point is null. Because if I remember right you could play PS games on the PS2. So which is better? Designing a game solely for your newer system, or designing a game more around your older system which will still be able to run on the newer?

Secondly, what on earth have I started >_< * A Boojum Snark goes back in time and retracts his 'n64 > gc' post...
OH WAIT! That is right, isn't this whole thing about N64 version Gamecube? Where in the hell did you people bring playstation into this! Yall need banting for thread derailment! :p
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 11:18:19 PM by A Boojum Snark »

December 22, 2004, 11:56:14 PM
Reply #69

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I remeber playing titles on the snes like "Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger". I loved supermario rpg. I loved the story line and the battle style. Then when paper mario came . My world came crashing down. I was very dissapointed to see the old system gone and this plain boring system to come and about Chrono Trigger, It's a awsome game. If you haven't tried it yet you should.

December 23, 2004, 05:33:02 AM
Reply #70

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com

You totally discredit yourself by not mentioning the ABOMINATION that was the Virtual Boy.
[snapback]37043[/snapback]
Oh christ, i'd managed to block that piece of ^^ from my mind, it took years of therapy to forget that one, which i'll now have to go through again. Thanks.

December 23, 2004, 06:21:06 AM
Reply #71

Guest Bacon

• Lerker

• View Profile
Now i can name 3 PSX releases that happened after the PS2's release (FF Origins, FF Anthology, FFVI), how many games were released after the GC's release? Oh, that's right, none.

I cant let this go. FFVI is part of FF Anthology. Also, both these 'games' were repackaged previous games. Although Origins had a facelift, Anthology required nearly no resources on Square's part. In summary

-its 2 games
-both were ports of games from older systems
-not good example

Basically what it boils down to is that the style of games on both systems were very different. The PSX's main appeal was RPGs and survival horror games, not counting the slew of other types that were available.

bingo. PSX's victory basically boils down to 3 series:
-Final Fantasy
-Resident Evil
(and the one you missed)
-Tomb Raider

These three series and the hoard of games that tries to emulate their success was what won the 32/64bit generation "war" for PSX.

oh, and GT1 and GT2 kicked a needlessly large amount of ass too.

December 23, 2004, 06:45:54 AM
Reply #72

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
  • Mario 64
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Perfect Dark
  • Body Harvest
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Paper Mario
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Mortal Kombat: Trilogy
  • Starfox 64
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo Tooie
  • F-Zero X
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario Tennis
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Wave Race
  • Yoshi's Story
These are all excellent, exclusive (but for Mortal Kombat: Trilogy) games for the Nintendo 64.  It without a doubt had its time and lived well in its time.  But I still must confess: my loyalties lie with Sega.  And failing that, my NES (loved that little bastard).

Simply put, Gamecube has far fewer games destined to be "classic."  Can you call either of the Zelda games on the N64 anything BUT classic?  How about Mario kart 64?  How about Mario 64?  Essentially the Gamecube has perhaps three exclusive games going for it right now:
  • Metroid Prime
  • Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
And that's abut all she wrote.  It would be simply stupid to say that the GC was not a sickly child. Even the launch Mario game (Sunshine) sucked.

December 23, 2004, 07:17:50 AM
Reply #73

Guest Bacon

• Lerker

• View Profile
Eternal Darkness?
Smash Bros(GC)?
Paper Mario(GC)?
Pikmin 1/2?
Tales of Symphonia?

and Mario Sunshine sure as hell counts as "classic" if you count Yoshi's Story and Wave Race as "classic"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:19:07 AM by Guest Bacon »

December 23, 2004, 07:36:39 AM
Reply #74

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
You forgot Pilotwings.

I can't believe that BH and SS:SV (also left off Dubb's list) were both by Rockstar. Rockstar are right up there as one of my favourite games producers. I got chatting to someone who worked for them last summer in Toronto airport and it seems like a decent company to work for.

I never finished either of those great games though. BH because it was huge and I refused to play it on Normal difficulty. The last thing I remember is being some where where it rained a lot and having to do some nifty plane flying. But it's all pretty much a blur. I think I still have it, I'll dig it out sometime.

As for SS:SV I whored it out one night I was supposed to be child minding a firend of mine's kid. She got him out a few games so I just banished him away to the Playstation so that I could gorge myself on the beauty of the amazingly well thought-out puzzle game that is Space Station: Silicon Valley. I need to buy that before I can't find it anymore.

Early on in when the PSX and N64 were competing I bought an N64 and my mate bought a PSX. Although there were games I thought were good I never once envied the fact that he had the PSX. From what I saw Metal Gear, FFVII, the GTs (but I'm sorry TOCA never did anything for me) and a few other titles that obviously weren't exciting enough for me to remember off the top of my head where the only ones I would have bought a PSX for.

Overall I think the N64 was geared towards a more multiplayer experience, the titles that were released and the shorter loading times show this. The best games on the N64 will be remembered as the MP games (with some exceptions that were too good not to be played). Examples include Super Smash Brothers, MarioKart 64, FZeroX, Mario Party (not my CoT but hey), Mario Tennis, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and sadly not a lot more for me [apart from ISS 64 which is in a class of its own].

On the PSX the most popular titles were Single Player. The PSX could deliver more hours of gaming but the loading times just weren't suited to multiplayer. Time Splitters was decent but nothing more as regards multiplayer. The PSX pwned N64 on RPGs and on most SinglePlayer games (N64 SP titles were too short to be fully satisfying and not well designed enough for replayability, eg: StarFox, Staw Wars Racer, Rogue Squadron... with the only notable exceptions being Mario64 and Shadow Man with Zelda performing well but slightly under-par for me. {I never played Paper Mario, either of the Banjo Kazooies or Yoshi Story}

[Edit:] I'm sorry but, while at first MK.DD may seem far from the delights of MK64 you'll soon acknowledge that, while it has the inferior tracks, you can still have a hugely competitive game given the right people. Double Dash has a lot to do with the fact that I got a 2.2 this year.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:42:18 AM by Crispy »
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.