Author Topic: N64 vs GameCube  (Read 11121 times)

December 09, 2004, 07:19:32 PM
Read 11121 times

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Whoa a n64. That's ancient. Update the n64 to gamecube. Maybe that will stop the madness.

December 09, 2004, 07:31:28 PM
Reply #1

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Except n64 > gamecube :p

December 09, 2004, 07:45:38 PM
Reply #2

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
ABS: Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime 2, MGS: Twin Snakes, RE4, new Zelda,etc. That is some awesome stuff. I know I have more games for my Cube than I did for my N64, and I enjoy them more.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 09, 2004, 08:07:05 PM
Reply #3

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
ABS: Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime 2, MGS: Twin Snakes, RE4, new Zelda,etc. That is some awesome stuff. I know I have more games for my Cube than I did for my N64, and I enjoy them more.
[snapback]35700[/snapback]

N64: Conker's Bad Fur Day. 'Nuff said.
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

December 09, 2004, 10:28:54 PM
Reply #4

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
N64 has doom, turok 2, forsaken (sp was poo but oh the many hours of mp fun I had), duke nukem (more mp mayhem ftw), and some others I can't think of the I've had great fun with. I think turok 2 is my favorite game to this day because of both the interesting twists on classic weapons and inovative new ones I had never seen. *huggles the Cerebral Bore, Firestorm Cannon, Shredder... oh hell I hug them all :p  ^_^

December 10, 2004, 04:57:34 AM
Reply #5

JohnTheGarbageman

• Skulk

• View Profile
Oh sweetness, Forsaken multiplayer. Only ever got the PC demo, but infected an entire LAN with it for hours on end. Just that much highly condensed awesome in it.

Guns. Hoverbikes. Free 3 dimensional combat. Nuff said.

December 10, 2004, 08:48:41 AM
Reply #6

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Oh sweetness, Forsaken multiplayer. Only ever got the PC demo, but infected an entire LAN with it for hours on end. Just that much highly condensed awesome in it.

Guns. Hoverbikes. Free 3 dimensional combat. Nuff said.
[snapback]35718[/snapback]

WIN! I think I have that game, but none of the noobs around here want to play it because they just don't get playing in 3 dimensions. They'd rather play Bond, Perfect Dark, or God help us, SuperSmash Brothers.

December 10, 2004, 12:31:40 PM
Reply #7

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
N64 has doom, turok 2, forsaken (sp was poo but oh the many hours of mp fun I had), duke nukem (more mp mayhem ftw), and some others I can't think of the I've had great fun with. I think turok 2 is my favorite game to this day because of both the interesting twists on classic weapons and inovative new ones I had never seen. *huggles the Cerebral Bore, Firestorm Cannon, Shredder... oh hell I hug them all :p  ^_^
[snapback]35712[/snapback]
* shudders

Doom: Straight port... N64 controller or Mouse & Keyboard? I'll take the latter.

Turok 2: My god man what are you smoking? It had some of the clunkiest controls and their resulting movements known to man!

Duke Nukem: As in Duke Nukem 3D port or as in Duke Nukem: Zero Hour? If it's the first then I'll gladly refer you to what I said about Doom 64, if it's the latter then I'll refer you to what I said about Turok 2 (but obviously with a hellovalot less emphasis).

I remember the first time I played Turok 2. First I chose a tank character and decided he was too slow so my friends said to choose a lighter character if I preferred a more agile and responsive playing style. Having done this and not noticed the slightest bit of difference I vowed never to play the game again...

@Legionnaired: If you have the cash buy a set of headphones + mic, no more hearing lil' kiddies arguing over who gets to play as Pink Captain Falcon but more importantly: you'll look the mustard!
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 10, 2004, 04:10:00 PM
Reply #8

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Doom: Straight port... N64 controller or Mouse & Keyboard? I'll take the latter.

Turok 2: My god man what are you smoking? It had some of the clunkiest controls and their resulting movements known to man!

Duke Nukem: As in Duke Nukem 3D port or as in Duke Nukem: Zero Hour? If it's the first then I'll gladly refer you to what I said about Doom 64, if it's the latter then I'll refer you to what I said about Turok 2 (but obviously with a hellovalot less emphasis).

I remember the first time I played Turok 2. First I chose a tank character and decided he was too slow so my friends said to choose a lighter character if I preferred a more agile and responsive playing style. Having done this and not noticed the slightest bit of difference I vowed never to play the game again...
[snapback]35741[/snapback]

I, unlike most people seem to be, am not a kboard&mouse whore :p I will full well play an FPS with a controller, I see nothing wrong with it. Hell, I played TFC for about 18 months with a joystick and keyboard and did fairly decent. When I finally decided to try a mouse, my skill plumetted to the ground since I was not used to it.

I never noticed anything wrong with the turok controls, both my brother and I considered them the best console FPS control setup untill Halo came along. Last month I just replayed through the entire game and didn't feel the controls were bad. When I first started it was a bit akward but I think only because I hadn't used an N64 controller in awhile, by the second level I was doing just fine. I also speak of turok singleplayer, multiplayer was not that great and we didn't play it often. (not to mention if 2 or more people fired the Firestorm Cannon the system would lock up :p)

Never played Zero Hour, only watched my brother play it. However the original was great fun with multiplayer, we would sit for hours on end playing it.

Oh and a final comment I have on the mouse/controller FPS debate, I will stand by this argument forever that controllers/joysticks are ten thousand times better at tracking moving targets with sniper rifles or other such things. You just can't steadily track with a mouse.

December 10, 2004, 06:23:40 PM
Reply #9

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
goldeneye

December 10, 2004, 09:26:23 PM
Reply #10

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
perfect dark and smash brothers

64 in its day > cube now

December 10, 2004, 11:04:09 PM
Reply #11

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
What the....How did this become a topic. It was a reply to Legionnaired. Somehow it's a topic. If a mod can delete this cause this wasn't supposed to be this way.

December 10, 2004, 11:23:20 PM
Reply #12

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Intensity you nub :p One of the forum mods noticed we were derailing legion's thread with this discussion, and thusly split the thread.

It's not an accident nor something to be deleted :p

December 10, 2004, 11:44:09 PM
Reply #13

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
controller is horrible for FPS. even halo aiming with a sniper or such is a pita and i never do it. and please don't bring up the comment "you just need to pratice with it" its just doesn't flow as well as a mouse. expecialy if your trying to do alot of things at once, like move, aim, fire, jump etc on a controller its just annoying. and i hate those buttons where you have to push down the joystick.

December 11, 2004, 12:41:04 AM
Reply #14

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Intensity you nub :p One of the forum mods noticed we were derailing legion's thread with this discussion, and thusly split the thread.

It's not an accident nor something to be deleted :p
[snapback]35773[/snapback]

Oh. I'm so slow to catch onto things...heh I'm a nub

December 11, 2004, 11:25:39 AM
Reply #15

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
controller is horrible for FPS. even halo aiming with a sniper or such is a pita and i never do it. and please don't bring up the comment "you just need to pratice with it" its just doesn't flow as well as a mouse. expecialy if your trying to do alot of things at once, like move, aim, fire, jump etc on a controller its just annoying. and i hate those buttons where you have to push down the joystick.
[snapback]35778[/snapback]
I thought the N64 controller was the best for FPS games. I know it worked well in GoldenEye and Turok 2. Turok 2 is a good game, except the 64 can't handle it that well.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 11, 2004, 12:30:08 PM
Reply #16

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
[snapback]35778[/snapback]

It's not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be. I think it might just be a person-to-person issue of how their mind works. I can use a controller pretty good and often snipewhored in Halo, even with the pistol when it had the 2x zoom in the first game.

December 11, 2004, 12:58:09 PM
Reply #17

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
It's not as bad as everyone seems to make it out to be. I think it might just be a person-to-person issue of how their mind works. I can use a controller pretty good and often snipewhored in Halo, even with the pistol when it had the 2x zoom in the first game.
[snapback]35826[/snapback]
Yeah but that's because most people were playing with the same controller. I'm pretty willing to lay down a bet that a mouse and keyboard would own anyone using a N64 pad. Gamepads are getting better but they've still some way to go to compete with a keyboard and 5 button optical mouse with mousewheel.

Wasn't there some SEGA Dreamcast game that got released on PC and then all the guys playing via DC got seriously pwned?
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

December 11, 2004, 01:17:24 PM
Reply #18

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Actually while ago I got some xbox controller drives and fiddled for awhile to get everything setup for using an xbox controller with usb patchcord for HL and mods. I didn't try it very long as I soon forgot about it untill today, but it seemed to make my skulking better. Not sure why, but I think it may have been because I could move more randomly and confuse the marines... maybe I'll have to mess with it some more.

December 11, 2004, 01:24:51 PM
Reply #19

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
Well that'd be one good advantage you could get from using a controller, iiiinteresting... :ph34r:
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.