Author Topic: N64 vs GameCube  (Read 11083 times)

December 11, 2004, 05:17:20 PM
Reply #20

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Actually while ago I got some xbox controller drives and fiddled for awhile to get everything setup for using an xbox controller with usb patchcord for HL and mods. I didn't try it very long as I soon forgot about it untill today, but it seemed to make my skulking better. Not sure why, but I think it may have been because I could move more randomly and confuse the marines... maybe I'll have to mess with it some more.
[snapback]35829[/snapback]
Omg, now people will start complaing about people using an Xbox controller for NS. :p
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 12, 2004, 08:09:19 AM
Reply #21

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[...]Wasn't there some SEGA Dreamcast game that got released on PC and then all the guys playing via DC got seriously pwned?
[snapback]35828[/snapback]
Iirc, it's the other way around: Q3: Arena got released on DC, and one of the older patches is compatible with the DC version. So people would apply the old patch to a fresh install, then go hunting for compatible servers, which were likely to be filled with DC players, also known as victims. Much carnage ensued.

December 14, 2004, 12:10:34 PM
Reply #22

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
to be honesti stopped plaing nintendo after the N64 came out. Don't get me wrong, i loved the SNES, but the N64 and GC just dont have the same feel. For example, the biggest dissapointment was Super Mario. This series is one of my favorites on NES and SNES, but mario is not meant to be in 3D.

December 14, 2004, 02:20:47 PM
Reply #23

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Lancer, a lot of people would want to kill you for saying that; they just love Super Mario 64. I must admit that I am not a huge fan of Mario. I think Nintendo's other franchises are much better, but I do love me some Mario Kart.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 14, 2004, 02:43:48 PM
Reply #24

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
i dont care what anyone says, super mario world 3 will top super mario 64 anyday B)

December 14, 2004, 03:49:01 PM
Reply #25

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I love the Zelda Series!

December 14, 2004, 04:10:11 PM
Reply #26

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
YOU DARE SPEAK POORLY OF MARIO 64?  The game was amazing!
I'm not saying its better or worse then SMB3, but it ruled.
Zelda:OoT may be the best game ever.

December 15, 2004, 07:16:50 AM
Reply #27

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
YOU DARE SPEAK POORLY OF MARIO 64?  The game was amazing!
I'm not saying its better or worse then SMB3, but it ruled.
Zelda:OoT may be the best game ever.
[snapback]36139[/snapback]

Now, i'll forgive such blasphemy due to the fact you were only about 2-3 years old when Zelda 3 come out for the SNES.

Zelda: A Link To The Past is the best Zelda game, bar none, if anyone says otherwise, they're most likely mentally handicapped, and you shouldn't be ridiculing them. Also, Mario 3 and Super Mario World are by FAR the best Mario games ever released, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine are cheap knock-offs.

Nintendo went downhill with the N64, it was an apalling console, but in the GC they made up for it, there's some pretty decent games and it's a relatively cheap console too.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

December 15, 2004, 05:44:31 PM
Reply #28

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
goldeneye
[snapback]35758[/snapback]
You've got to be kidding.

December 15, 2004, 06:06:39 PM
Reply #29

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
Esuna, I'm sorry see.

Zelda LTTP was really awesome, but theres one minor thing that stops me from saying it was the best one.
See a few months ago, I was playing it, I was in the last doungen, and my SNES killed itself.  I was very annoyed at that point, and didn't finish the game.

Esuna, are you saying you don't think OoT was a good game?

December 15, 2004, 07:37:17 PM
Reply #30

Architeuthis

• Gorge

• View Profile
OoT was a good game but there's no way in hell it can compete with A Link to the Past.

So here's a couple of lists for video games, which are completely right because my opinion on console games is perfect and if you disagree you are wrong and stupid.

Zelda series
1. A Link to the Past
2. Zelda
3. Link's Awakening (Mainly because I played the hacked ROM "Link Gets Laid")
4. Ocarina of Time
5. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
6. Adventures of Link
7. Bebe's Kids
8. Majora's Mask

If I didn't include some Zeldas it's because I didn't play enough of them to have a decent opinion.

Mario series
1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario Bros. 2
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Super Mario 64
6. Super Mario Bros. 1

Anyway, about the original topic. The N64 wasn't a great console, nor was it abysmal. It just lacked good games; they were few and far between. Also, it used the awesome "Smear vaseline on the screen" technology to have awesome blurry graphics.

The GC is a great console. If we compare it only to the N64 and no other console, it completely obliterates it. Graphics are crisp and clear, the selection of games, if you're a fan of Nintendo, is great and it's actually rather cheap.

And if you're gonna argue that you don't like the GC because it's too "kiddie" then sorry, but you're a :Ding moron.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 07:37:49 PM by Architeuthis »

December 15, 2004, 07:49:23 PM
Reply #31

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
The GC is a great console. If we compare it only to the N64 and no other console, it completely obliterates it. Graphics are crisp and clear, the selection of games, if you're a fan of Nintendo, is great and it's actually rather cheap.
[snapback]36274[/snapback]

However, you gotta compare them in their own time using things that don't change with time. Obviously the newer system's graphics will be better, so that is a moot point. They were also priced about the same.

December 15, 2004, 07:53:07 PM
Reply #32

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
ABS even in it's time the N64 had some ugly graphics. Even as a child who is supposed to be wowed by such fantastic things I hated the way most n64 games looked.
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

December 16, 2004, 06:02:09 AM
Reply #33

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Archi, you missed Wind Waker, another fairly decent offering of Zelda goodness to the GC.

And no Isamil, i hated OoT, it was boring, didn't "feel" like Zelda and it looked like ass. By this time i was already hating my N64. Actually, by the time i was halfway through Mario 64 i was about ready to take the POS back and buy something decent.

I'm a child of the Spectrum, NES and SNES, not these new fangled X-ey Boxeys or Game Squares, and whilst the elitist "Older is better" attitude may seem a bit annoying, it's also very true, well, in the case of the older console franchises like Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Contra, it's very true at least.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

December 16, 2004, 01:20:49 PM
Reply #34

Architeuthis

• Gorge

• View Profile
I didn't forget it; like I said, I didn't include some games because I hadn't played enough of them to get a decent opinion. Zelda games I haven't included: Minish Cap, Four Swords, Wand of Gamelon, Zelda's Adventure and Link: The Faces of Evil.

Also, I agree that OoT didn't feel like a Zelda game.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 01:22:34 PM by Architeuthis »

December 16, 2004, 01:42:27 PM
Reply #35

Reasa

• Skulk

• View Profile
goldeneye
[snapback]35758[/snapback]

The Best Game Ever Made. Ever.

The Cube is good but if you compare how the N64 was back in its day to how the Game Cube is now, the N64 wins hands down.
The N64 was THE console system, there was no other...I sometimes would hear bits and pieces in dark alleyways about something called a "playstaon" or "playsatton" or something like that, but I don't think anything existed that could compete with the N64 back then.

Anyone who disagrees is crazy and on drugs and should be locked up as quickly as possible so they don't spread their odd brain consuming disease to others.
That or they we're beaten severely by a small Japanese man wielding a N64 controller...which is by far the best controller ever made...but that’s another story.

December 17, 2004, 05:53:07 AM
Reply #36

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Sorry to burst your bubble Reasa, but the Playstation judiciously applied the SMAQ™ to the N64 with its PIMP HAND. There is simply no question about not only which system was more successful, but which system was, quite objectively, BETTER.

And don't get me started on the N64 controller and its "don't touch me! Don't even LOOK at me! I'll break!" analog stick.

I can only presume that you were kidding. Note: Sarcasm doesn't carry well over the internet.

December 17, 2004, 06:20:43 AM
Reply #37

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I won't argue that there were not some amazing games for the 64 and it definitely was not a terrible system...  But the 64 represented a tear in the market over what the SNES had been, it effectively split the market between RPG and platformer play, it represents a scar on nintendo's previous glory.  The only old system I will credit its whieght in gold to today is the SNES.  It was definitively the golden age of platforming and roleplay gaming.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 17, 2004, 09:22:17 AM
Reply #38

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
ah we used to play 4 player goldeneye with remote mines or assault weapons for hours at a time.

then we went to perfect dark and the slayer "guide the rocket into their face from across the map" gun.  B)

i remember trying to see how many perfect sims i could take all vs me.

damn that was fun ^^.

December 17, 2004, 12:22:15 PM
Reply #39

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
ah we used to play 4 player goldeneye with remote mines or assault weapons for hours at a time.

then we went to perfect dark and the slayer "guide the rocket into their face from across the map" gun.  B)

i remember trying to see how many perfect sims i could take all vs me.

damn that was fun ^^.
[snapback]36461[/snapback]

That game was almost perfect save for the rediculously broken farsight.

Shoots through all walls ever with a built in wallhack and enemy-finder. Just plain stupid.