Author Topic: Career And Jobs  (Read 9532 times)

December 03, 2004, 10:04:04 AM
Reply #20

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Yes, what hunz said. You get paid COIN to be a phramacist. Like, senior developer  (65k ish and up?) type of coin. Also, all the baby boomers are goin into the goldenyears == lots of ppl needed drugs.

So what you are saying is that. Pharamcists is a good job am going for and I would get payed alot of cold hard cash?
[snapback]34991[/snapback]

Yeah, sure, that's what I'm saying. keep in mind that almost every single one of my pharmacists friends doesn't like their job. perhaps because the degree is quite challenging to get (tons of memorization etc) but the job, not so much.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 03, 2004, 11:12:48 AM
Reply #21

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Also that's many years of expensive school, so you'll have a good deal of debt to offset the pay.  But the pay will be nice.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

December 03, 2004, 12:27:41 PM
Reply #22

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I'm a shipper/reciever for a sporting goods company. Starting wage was only $10 an hour and it's not the most glorious of titles but I couldn't have asked for more. I basically walk around the warehouse getting items for mail order customers. Things ranging from guns to tents to fish hooks. It's pretty nice because you're always looking for new things and every day you are rewarded with at least one "holy grail" of items that noone else could find but you. Pay isn't great but it's a pretty down to earth job.

If you plan on attending post secondary I would highly advise against going to university. In Canada you pay about $30 for each one hour lecture to hear some jackass tell you how is research is going. It's mostly theory with no practicality and jobs don't hire based on education.

Experience > Education

Ramble ramble ramble....
[snapback]34989[/snapback]

Arse professors abound everywhere.

Post secondary, however, allows you to get a degree to get better experience, with a solid chunk of credit hours for free.

I'm taking 35 this year at OSU, add in the stuff I get from AP tests, and I'll finish HS with about 45 credit hours at college under my belt, so I can jump right into 200 level Aerotech next year, not have to deal with crap english and arts classes.

December 03, 2004, 01:08:54 PM
Reply #23

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Right now I am your tax dollars at work, I'm at GS1 level.

I work for the United States Department of Agriculture, and I work with the Rural Development department

I'm a freshmen in Jr. College  :blink:  :o  :angry: and I have aspirations of pre med, headed towards psychiatry.

If I stick around the USDA for another 4 months I will get benefits,

I took CCNA stuff in highschool, got to semester 3, took semester 4 but it blew hard so I'm going to retake it.

I've worked at a bowling alley, a Thai food place, and Tapioca Express, not to mention my share of paper routes [I had the route that was my street, the street next to it, and the street next to that one, the drop point for my papers was my house  :lol:]
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

December 03, 2004, 01:25:36 PM
Reply #24

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Also that's many years of expensive school, so you'll have a good deal of debt to offset the pay.  But the pay will be nice.
[snapback]35075[/snapback]
I speak from the canadian perspective. Relatively, school is hella cheaper. like, 4-7k per year. Hell, when i was in school, it was 2k/year. Not exactly a bank breaker.

And take AO's suggestions about education with a grain of salt. Education is important, in many places, an undergrad degree is needed to get your foot in the door. But experience with education is the best. Co-op whatever you are doing, if you're not sure if you'll get a job when you grad.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 03, 2004, 01:30:59 PM
Reply #25

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I work at the TOwnship library, reshelving books and other stuff (magazines, movies, etc)

Planning on getting a degree in Aero/Astronautical engineering, but i'm not sure what school i'd go to.  

Graduate form HS in a year and a half ( 11th grade)
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

December 04, 2004, 10:21:29 AM
Reply #26

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I work for the government after 7 years studying Molecular Biology/Genetics (with a final year and thesis focusing on virology/parasitology).

Doesn't that look good on paper eh?

In my spare time I do the Alien v models pack and various other bits and pieces, as well as debug a buggy mod for Star Trek Armada II and work on my e-novel, The Art of Warhammer.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

December 04, 2004, 11:49:39 AM
Reply #27

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I work for the government after 7 years studying Molecular Biology/Genetics (with a final year and thesis focusing on virology/parasitology).

Doesn't that look good on paper eh?

In my spare time I do the Alien v models pack and various other bits and pieces, as well as debug a buggy mod for Star Trek Armada II and work on my e-novel, The Art of Warhammer.
[snapback]35168[/snapback]

what do you do for the government? work at the CDC?

December 04, 2004, 10:38:33 PM
Reply #28

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I'm willing to go through alot of schooling to be a pharmacists. I dont know what else I would be if I wasn't going to be a phramacists. Thanks everyone for telling me more about pharmacists. But one more thing. How many years of university is it? and should I start going to university right after high school or rest for a year.

December 04, 2004, 10:58:31 PM
Reply #29

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Its not in America so it wouldn't be the CDC.

I did do a short spell in the agency which regulates and checks pharmacies, prescriptions, false claims, etc.

Be surprised how many pharmacists try to cheat the system. Tut tut.

December 05, 2004, 01:15:58 PM
Reply #30

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
How would they cheat the system?

December 05, 2004, 03:55:46 PM
Reply #31

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm willing to go through alot of schooling to be a pharmacists. I dont know what else I would be if I wasn't going to be a phramacists. Thanks everyone for telling me more about pharmacists. But one more thing. How many years of university is it? and should I start going to university right after high school or rest for a year.
[snapback]35214[/snapback]

In canada, it's a 5 year undergrad degree, IIRC.
-Richard Feynman

December 06, 2004, 08:46:27 AM
Reply #32

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile

[snapback]35303[/snapback]

Which equates to 3 American years. :)

Seriously though, take as much chemistry as you can before you get there, especially organic chemistry. You probably need to develop a working knowledge of functional groups and molecular structure, so you can screen for interactions in your head as you write out perscriptions.

December 06, 2004, 09:56:31 AM
Reply #33

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

[snapback]35303[/snapback]

Which equates to 3 American years. :)

Seriously though, take as much chemistry as you can before you get there, especially organic chemistry. You probably need to develop a working knowledge of functional groups and molecular structure, so you can screen for interactions in your head as you write out perscriptions.
[snapback]35347[/snapback]

huh? surely you're not suggesting that american education is better than canadian education? :o

And the whole 'thinking' part, isn't really that great, the prescriptions are written by doctors. So at best you are just doing a secondary check on the conflicts. On second thought, you are probably doing the most important double check on conflicts as I'm sure most GPs aren't up to the latest and greatest in drugs.
-Richard Feynman

December 06, 2004, 10:12:52 AM
Reply #34

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Of course not, I'm simply applying the often over-eggagerated fact that USD is worth more than CDN to all aspects of my country's relationship to yours.

All in good fun, nitey :). You're more than welcome to tell me to put down the beer and drop my 50 billion guns, get in my pickup truck, and drive to the nearest NASCAR race.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 10:13:38 AM by Legionnaired »

December 06, 2004, 11:40:23 AM
Reply #35

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Cheating the system involves consistently claiming to supply the most expensive drug when really you dispense the cheapest.

The difference between proprietary and brand name drugs can be very substantial. However, once you're caught...

December 06, 2004, 11:55:19 AM
Reply #36

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
I am about to start working at Target.
When asked by my interviewer, "Why Target" I simply said, "it not Walmart" and he laughed at this, and put it down as the official reason as to why I am working there, "Not Walmart"

December 06, 2004, 01:01:25 PM
Reply #37

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Planning on becoming a history teacher grades 6-12, also gonna get my masters in History and a degree in special education to make me more valuable to schools. Work my ass off the first 10-25 years, MABYE work my way up to administration OR retire in my early 40's and get back into gaming ;) for the rest of my life and be "the cool grandpa who plays video games seriously with his grandkids"
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 01:04:43 PM by Diablus »

December 06, 2004, 03:45:28 PM
Reply #38

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Planning on becoming a history teacher grades 6-12, also gonna get my masters in History and a degree in special education to make me more valuable to schools. Work my ass off the first 10-25 years, MABYE work my way up to administration OR retire in my early 40's and get back into gaming ;) for the rest of my life and be "the cool grandpa who plays video games seriously with his grandkids"
[snapback]35384[/snapback]

retire in your early 40's?! you live in another reality than mine.
-Richard Feynman

December 06, 2004, 03:48:42 PM
Reply #39

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Of course not, I'm simply applying the often over-eggagerated fact that USD is worth more than CDN to all aspects of my country's relationship to yours.

All in good fun, nitey :). You're more than welcome to tell me to put down the beer and drop my 50 billion guns, get in my pickup truck, and drive to the nearest NASCAR race.
[snapback]35358[/snapback]

Oh, alrighty then :)

you've activated some Owleh Trivia! didja know nascar, or 'stock car' racing was born from the bootleggers of moonshine back in the early 1900's? It was sort of an informal test of who's jalopy could outrun the fuzz (yes, I know, the slang is anarchonistic, but I can only go so far back).

Ah yes, the USD/CAD division. Apparently, it's not so large anymore. Not that anything I notice  on a day to day basis is affected by that (besides the often invisble and far reaching macro-economic impact).

And no, I'd never say that, for fear that your 143rd BoyScout troop would take their .22's and take over our great and cold land!
-Richard Feynman