Author Topic: speed demos!  (Read 2794 times)

December 09, 2004, 09:36:35 AM
Read 2794 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
http://www.planetquake.com/sda/

i never watch them myself, but some ppl like to.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 09, 2004, 02:16:48 PM
Reply #1

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
There is some pretty cool speed demos there...  The HL ones always make me go "WTF!"
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 09, 2004, 02:41:05 PM
Reply #2

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Indeed, I would like to see some "real" speed runs, doing the game correctly in the fastest time. I don't really care for things like 'mine-ladder-to-the-sky-and-walk-through-the-skybrush-to-skip-the-whole-area' stuff :p

December 09, 2004, 03:04:08 PM
Reply #3

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
anyone watch the hl2 speedrun? i watched the entire 3 hour long video one day (yes i have no life) and the guy did it really fast, all the talking scenes took up most of the time tho...
-_^

December 09, 2004, 03:20:44 PM
Reply #4

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Someone did a run of ravenholm in 2m:30s

I'll see if I can't find it.

Edit: Their site is temporarily down
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 03:32:55 PM by Jefe »

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

December 09, 2004, 04:54:02 PM
Reply #5

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
http://home.comcast.net/~arcthelad/

has a mix of tons of different platforms for speed runs

http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/

most of his stuff is on the first one, but i figure why not put both ;p

good time attacks, fun to watch with explanations of what the goal for the types of them were.

December 09, 2004, 05:14:46 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Just because this speedrun is teh sex and I can't stop rewatching it, I have rehosted it temporarily. (Want to make sure zazi's bandwidth doesn't get totally nuked, so I'll take it down soon as the other site comes back up)

When the upload finishes in about two minutes, you can find it here: (link removed, page back up)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 11:02:03 AM by BobTheJanitor »

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

December 10, 2004, 09:49:14 AM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I might enjoy this stuff if I could find a game that I've actually played, but it seems like it's almost only console games. Weird. Considering that the PC is much more suitable for capturing movies on, you'd think it'd be the preferred medium.

And I mean really, take a look at this stuff:

When a joke was made on the metroid2002 forum about a 1% Single-segment run in Metroid Fusion, nobody believed anybody would ever do it. But Damien 'Dragondarch' Moody decided he'd take the challenge. After 48 hours of attempts he triumphantly declared his victory with a time of 1:06. Now some people might say that there's certain parts of the run, especially near the end, that don't seem like a speed run at all, but that's because he was trying so hard just to stay alive. If you think you can duplicate this one-of-a-kind feat and do faster... go right ahead ;-)

How the hell is anyone supposed to guess what a 1% Single-segment run is?

December 10, 2004, 11:53:09 AM
Reply #8

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Silly LF. Have you played Metroid games before? In Metroid games, you collect items that increase your health and new weapons/weapon upgrades. If you collect these, you can go through the game pretty easeir. So the more you have, the better and easier you'll beat it. Now 1% means he's only getting 1% of the items. This is basically nothing, so it would be very hard to beat later bosses and enemies.

EDIT: A single-segement run would be not quitting and doing something else. He just goes straight through.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 11:54:32 AM by Malevolent »
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 11, 2004, 08:34:21 AM
Reply #9

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh. Only played Super Metroid. Fun game, although I found that dodging was very hard at times. I can only imagine how completing that game with only a single energy tank would be. :blink:

December 11, 2004, 11:28:49 AM
Reply #10

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, it would be almost impossible. A person who can beat it with 1% item completion has to be abnormal. :p

You should try Metroid Prime. It's a very good game, and despite it being in 3D, it keeps the Metroid feel. I want to get Prime 2, but I'm more interested in upgrading my computer.

December 12, 2004, 08:14:22 AM
Reply #11

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Sure. When's the PC port coming out?

You're not seriously expecting me to buy a Gamecube, are you?

December 12, 2004, 08:41:47 AM
Reply #12

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nope, I didn't know what systems you have. Just if you know someone or get a chance, try it out.

December 14, 2004, 03:32:59 AM
Reply #13

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I actually have. I've played, like, the first half of the first level or so. I took my time and read all the terminals and such, so I didn't get to do much combat.

December 14, 2004, 04:27:26 AM
Reply #14

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Just to warn everyone, don't bother with the HL2 speed run. It's literally just that, running. Barely any tricks or cool stuff, and considering i spent forever downloading the high res version (1.4gb), i felt pretty much let down. :)

One thing, for those of you uninitiated in the ways of speed runs, download Quake Done Quick, probably my favourite speed run. The entire thing done in 12 minutes, it's something you need to see. :)
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts