Author Topic: Do You Like People Irl  (Read 10858 times)

August 28, 2004, 03:07:31 PM
Reply #60

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I don't visit much because I spend too much time on the net as it is and I'm a chat addict.  If I went on IRC or spent too much time on the forums I'd be there all day... I already know from experience.  Think of it less as me being away often and more of it being you guys are addictive and I don't want to get too hooked ^~

~pokes bob~
what if the person interrupting your book had something reaaaaally cool to talk about?  Is it annoying then or just small talk?  What defines small-talk?  Is it a personal taste thing in which case your big talk could be small to other people? =o

August 28, 2004, 03:55:20 PM
Reply #61

Asal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
~pokes bob~
what if the person interrupting your book had something reaaaaally cool to talk about?  Is it annoying then or just small talk?  What defines small-talk?  Is it a personal taste thing in which case your big talk could be small to other people? =o
[snapback]27687[/snapback]

Small talk to me:  Something that isn't important, intriguing, and thought-provoking.  An emergency also eliminates something's classification as 'small talk'.
Asal 'The Unforgiving'
Fedaykin, Warrior of the Desert Mouse

"I will live to be immortal...or die trying!"

August 28, 2004, 04:52:25 PM
Reply #62

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Small talk is any conversation that you could break off without ever caring to pick it up again. Talk along the lines of 'how ya doin?' or 'how about this weather?' or 'where did you get that cute hat?' and so forth. Things that people say just to fill up silences. Empty words. If I'm having a real conversation, it'll be about something I find interesting or important or at least entertaining. And if it's interrupted, I'll want to go back to it when possible to finish off the thoughts involved in it. I've noticed that some people seem instead to want to make conversation about nothing, and don't care at all if it's interrupted by something else. Hell, often they can get totally distracted by something WHILE you're talking to them, and not care at all if you finish your sentence. It's at this point that I wonder, 'why am I wasting effort on this person?'

The most interesting point I got from my reading into the subject, is that extroverts become energized by interaction with other people, while introverts become drained by it. So when I felt like the person blathering on to me about the weather, sports, last night's episode of crappy reality TV series, etc. was literally sucking the life out of me -- hey, turns out it's true! Go find another extrovert and feed off of them, you can both talk and not listen and energize yourselves that way. Meanwhile, I'm going to be in the other room. With the door locked. Reading. Because that's how I recharge, by not having to bear up under the weight of your loud, boisterous, inattentive world.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

August 28, 2004, 05:52:58 PM
Reply #63

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
So when I felt like the person blathering on to me about the weather, sports, last night's episode of crappy reality TV series, etc. was literally sucking the life out of me -- hey, turns out it's true!
[snapback]27695[/snapback]
Yarr! Those damn Life-Sucking Extrovert Vampires!

I found another test that includes the embj (Jung) test and the Enneagram test. (The Enneagram is a personality system which divides the entire human personality into nine behavioral tendencies. Perfectionism, Helpfulness, Image Awareness, Sensitivity, Detachment, Anxiety, Adventurousness, Aggressiveness, and Calmness). It's a 108 question test that seems quite detailed. Find it here.

EDIT: Adding my results from the Jung and Enneagram test.

Jung:
 Introverted (I) 82.76% Extroverted (E) 17.24%
Sensing (S) 80% Intuitive (N) 20%
Thinking (T) 81.25% Feeling (F) 18.75%
Judging (J) 74.29% Perceiving (P) 25.71%

Enneagram:
Type 1  Perfectionism 76%
Type 2    Helpfulness 33%
Type 3    Image Awareness 23%
Type 4    Sensitivity 40%
Type 5    Detachment 73%
Type 6    Anxiety 60%
Type 7    Adventurousness 13%
Type 8    Aggressiveness 23%
Type 9    Calmness 60%
« Last Edit: August 28, 2004, 07:01:46 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

August 28, 2004, 07:34:32 PM
Reply #64

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I see to hover somewhere between INTP and ISTP 53/46

Type 1        Perfectionism     ||||||||||||     46%
Type 2    Helpfulness    ||    10%
Type 3    Image Awareness    ||    10%
Type 4    Sensitivity    ||||||||||    36%
Type 5    Detachment    ||||||||||||||||||||    90%
Type 6    Anxiety    ||||||||||    33%
Type 7    Adventurousness    ||||||    23%
Type 8    Aggressiveness    ||||||||||    40%
Type 9    Calmness    ||||||||||||||||||    76%

Most of those questions were repeats.

The results of these tests have yet to surprise me, I knew most of this already

August 29, 2004, 03:19:07 AM
Reply #65

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Oh okies and 'energizing' isn't the same as 'siphoning' so :p

if you want to talk about people actually 'transferring' energy you're probably better talking about positives and negatives.  Positive people tend to be quite cheery and strong while negatives are drawn to them like magnets.
If you've ever been stuck with a really negative person you'll often feel yourself leaving feeling down and drained while a peppy person can lift your spirits and make you feel full of energy ^^

It might not be jung but I find it to be pretty spot on from my own personal experiences =3

As for the new test thingy...

Type 1  Perfectionism     ||||||||||||     46%
Type 2    Helpfulness    ||||||||||||||    60%
Type 3    Image Awareness    ||||||||||||||||||    73%
Type 4    Sensitivity    ||||||||||||||    53%
Type 5    Detachment    ||||||||||||    50%
Type 6    Anxiety    ||||||||||||||||    66%
Type 7    Adventurousness    ||||||||||||||    53%
Type 8    Aggressiveness    ||||||||||||    43%
Type 9    Calmness    ||||||||||||||||    63%

My 'conscious type' is 3w2 while my unconscious is 3w4

That conscious one sounds pretty frigging insulting though ><

edit: lol, did it again and got these two...

I'd say the conscious is a bit more accurate this time while the two unconscious in general are both kinda right I guess ~blink~
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 03:37:14 AM by Geminosity »

August 29, 2004, 06:18:58 AM
Reply #66

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[...]you guys are addictive and I don't want to get too hooked ^~[...]
[snapback]27687[/snapback]
Quote Marylin Manson: I don't like the drugs but the drugs like me.

By the way, I've finally had a look at that test. I'm not gonna take it. It appears to be way too simplified. Take the first question.

1. You feel at ease in a crowd
(  ) Yes  (  ) No

"Hmm. Sometimes I feel ill at ease in a crowd."

(  ) Yes  (x) No

"But wait, sometimes I really like crowds..."

(x) Yes  (  ) No

"Hmm, I dunno..."

(   ) Yes  (  ) No

Et cetera.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 06:26:49 AM by lolfighter »

August 29, 2004, 11:26:22 AM
Reply #67

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
lf: try this one instead. It has yea, nay, and maybe answers. If you want you can say maybe on everything and end up 50/50 all across the board.

Positive people tend to be quite cheery and strong while negatives are drawn to them like magnets.
Actually, cheery people are my #1 mental justification for going on mass murdering sprees. I'm very much not drawn to them at all, repelled strongly would be more the words for it. If you tell me someone I'm going to meet is 'chipper' or 'a ray of sunshine' you may find that I've suddenly become a fast moving dot on the horizon.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 11:30:35 AM by BobTheJanitor »

August 29, 2004, 03:11:41 PM
Reply #68

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Funny... I've never seen you run away from me yet =3

I don't mean manically happy.  We're not talking people who are happy in an annoying way, I mean truly positive people.  They're within realistic boundaries rather than spastic happy but still relatively upbeat compared to most people.

Same goes for negatives really... they can only so low before you no longer feel drained by them and instead 'energized' by a sudden urge to turn their face into meat paste with a hammer =o

August 29, 2004, 06:28:09 PM
Reply #69

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well you can't take anything from the online world. Here I'm happily hidden behind thousands of miles of cable, and in immesurable abstract amount of internet anonymity. Plus, I'm perfectly fine talking all day long on forums (as I'm sure everyone's noticed by now) but in face to face meetings, I'm usually inclined to be a quiet listener. It's not that I don't have anything to say, it's just that everyone else is too busy saying what they have to say that I can't get a word in edgewise. And I've learned that there's not much reason to bother, since people don't really listen anyway. They just talk talk talk.

My attitude has always been that I'm happy to leave everyone else alone, and in return all that I ask is for them to leave me alone. If I have a rare desire for intense human contact, I can go out and party for a night, and then come back and go about my routine. I haven't ever felt the need to 'come out of my shell' as I think my shell is perfectly nice and cozy, and I'd rather stay here. Not that I don't have long and worthwhile conversations, it's just that I try to bypass the short and worthless ones. If I meet someone who's on the same wavelength as me, I'll become an intensely long standing friend, but most of the rest of humanity, as mentioned before, can go take a flying leap for all I care.

August 29, 2004, 07:02:27 PM
Reply #70

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
I find that during argumentative conversations, people tend to talk and talk on their own perspective and even when someone else is saying something to them, they're just simply waiting for their chance to jump in and say whatever they're going to say. There's no real time to absorb what has been said. People are merely focused on a time to interject. This is why I rather dislike talking to those people considered 'talkative'. They spew out their oppinion (wanted or not) and hardly take a break to catch their breath, let alone actually think about anything anyone has said. Many people become like this simply because they are afraid of silence. People naturally dislike silence, hence why you find a very high "umm", "uhh", and "and" count in amateur speaches. They add these sounds to fill the gaps.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 07:08:17 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

August 29, 2004, 07:17:27 PM
Reply #71

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
In a world where value is estimated by rarity, silence seems to be one of the most valuable commodities of all. You know how hard it is to find some place that's REALLY quiet? Not just low background noise, hum of a fan, hear some traffic going by, mumble of TV in the other room, etc. That's not true silence.

Of course, I'm not talking about complete lack of noise. Like a sealed room with no noise in it at all -- that's sort of uncanny and the roaring of the blood in your ears tends to be so loud that it cancels out the silence. But someplace you can actually go and listen to nothing but a very light breeze, or the sort of silence you get in a light snowfall -- those things are more rare than gold. Just finding a place where you can't hear the traffic in the distance is incredibly unlikely.

August 30, 2004, 03:39:34 AM
Reply #72

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Arthur Seat (extinct Volcanoe) was good for that when I lived near there.  In summer I'd go up on the crags and play with the grasshoppers... the only sound would be the gentle whisper of the wind ^^
If I go for a cycle around these parts where I am right now I can go down country lanes and stuff where the distant rumble of traffic is just a faded memory.

I'm a bit of a loudmouth I guess but I've always been patient in conversation whether it's arguementative or not.  The only real difference between here and the net as far as convos with me go is that you don't have to put up with my gesticulating lots =3
Well that and I can't scream at you if you make me truely mad but that's such a rare event online or off it's not really worth worrying about :p

Silence is ok when it's a calm, relaxed silence; it's the akward ones I hate.
I've got a neighbour (my stalker) who doesn't seem to understand basic social queues so he often used to ask me if something was wrong if I lapsed in silence rather than just picking up on my mood or body language like any normal person.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 03:40:08 AM by Geminosity »

August 30, 2004, 04:08:32 AM
Reply #73

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Arthur's Seat was a volcano once? That sounds... wrong. :blink:
All kidding aside, it must've been dead for thousands of years. Great view though, really great view. It wasn't very quiet when I was up there though, wind makes too much noise.

August 30, 2004, 05:08:39 AM
Reply #74

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
yup yup, it's long dead though there was a slight worry it might reactivate once or twice.  
Sounds like you stood at the top though, it's pretty windy up there most of the time but I used to hang about in alcoves carved in the rocks... I doubt my parents would appreciate knowing I used to clamber up with just my hands and stuff; no kind of safety gear.  It's not really much of a climb to speak of though, just a rather nasty and lethal fall with lots of bouncing off sharp rocks ^^;

I once went up there with a close friend to see the sunrise... it was kinda meant to be romantic but I kept nodding off because I really wasn't used to getting up that early at the time and the long walk hadn't helped XD

August 30, 2004, 08:31:03 AM
Reply #75

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Figures. :)

Arthur's Seat isn't really a toughie though, you can walk all the way if you're prepared to take the long path. Climbing would be faster, but much less safe.

August 30, 2004, 09:29:20 AM
Reply #76

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Well the road takes you past the pond which is kinda cool because you can feed the ducks and swans.  As for the footpath around the front one of my old budgies is buried there =D

edit: my grandad's ashes were also scattered from atop arthur's seat... in many ways my life is more tied to that place than I realise sometimes =o
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 09:30:25 AM by Geminosity »

August 30, 2004, 10:06:01 AM
Reply #77

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Updated previous post including new test from Bob. ^^
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

August 30, 2004, 10:30:27 AM
Reply #78

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You're just a middle of the road guy all over. Probably one of those people that can get along with anyone. A learned skill from counseling the angsty youth of America perhaps?

August 30, 2004, 11:04:36 AM
Reply #79

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
~sneaks up on bob and hugs him~
who're you talking to? =3