Author Topic: Your Comming Style  (Read 18884 times)

February 19, 2005, 03:18:34 AM
Reply #60

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
1. IP
2. Armoury
3. As many RTs as I can get before... approximately 2 minutes
4. Obs (for bacon - when I comm, aliens just LOVE rushing my base)
5. Phase tech
6. Arms Lab (this might be switched with obs+phasetech if my marines like to die a lot)
7. Armour 1
All the time: take down their nodes

Then it just depends on how well you're doing. You might need to recap res nodes, or make a full-on assault on a hive, or sneak a phase gate in the hive. I don't spend res on locking down any location; I put a res node and a phase gate next to it. However, most of the time, this doesn't work; I don't respond fast enough.
[snapback]41035[/snapback]
I know you asked for my input before, so here is my critique. If your marines are getting owned, try and get upgrades sooner, rather than later.
For example:
1. IP
2. Armory
3. RT
4. Arms Lab
5. a1
6. RT

You should have your AL hotkeyed and constantly check it to see if research is done and your rines are ready for another upgrade.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 19, 2005, 04:49:51 AM
Reply #61

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I found a new secret for comming victory earlier today...  Have temm on your team and force the marines to do whatever he says.

God knows I'm the last person in the world to belive that it would work, but it does.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

February 19, 2005, 07:22:39 AM
Reply #62

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
"Now touch me! Down there!"

"Uhh, Commander, Temm is telling us to..."

"You heard the man. Temm is my Field Commander™! Do as he says!"

February 21, 2005, 02:17:04 PM
Reply #63

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Most people have read my comm article posted here somewhere already, so they know how I play for the most part.  My main objective in the first five minutes of the game is nothing more than pushing marines out as far and fast as possible and letting the lesser skilled players that die cap my closest RTs while the others get to alien RTs.  I don't bother with defense of any type because of the need for marines to immediately expand as fast as possible.  I can defend base alone against most attackers, and once the armory is done I can hold it alone against anything short of multiple fades or onos.  If adv armory tech and 2/1 upgrades doesn't win the game, I push armor2 and proto tech.  Depending on the skill of my marines I go HA for newbies or JP for skilled players on most maps.  Certain maps need HA or need JP, in which case I use those despite player skill.  I never lock down hives unless the game is VERY pitched and it's impossible to keep the aliens from moving from hive to hive by normal means.  It's worthless to even defend resource towers with anything but marines, everything else isn't cost effective at all.  I stay mobile and constantly move people to the hot spots, and it very rarely fails.

February 21, 2005, 09:13:51 PM
Reply #64

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
When I comm I usually place the structures and places that make them look good and organized matter. Even though am new to the role of comm, I'm quite experienced. From trying or watching, it always works out.

February 21, 2005, 10:35:25 PM
Reply #65

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
MOBILE! AGILE! HOSTILE!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 21, 2005, 11:58:03 PM
Reply #66

Rath

• Legacy Admin
  • Skulk

• View Profile
My comm strat:  Get in chair,  build ip, get pwned.

I do like ADJ's style of comming.  When I'm alien, that is one of the meanest things for rines to do early game.
I throw myself upon these OC's in the name of King Bill!!

February 22, 2005, 05:28:56 AM
Reply #67

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Question:

When as a commander you "expand" and go for the res whats the best way to defend the base once they have a fade who pops in and out and keeps taking things out.

I ask this not for myself (of course) but I see this happening alot when marines try to expand quickly. No marines near base to stop it and res too low to beacon.

February 22, 2005, 07:47:11 PM
Reply #68

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Question:

When as a commander you "expand" and go for the res whats the best way to defend the base once they have a fade who pops in and out and keeps taking things out.

I ask this not for myself (of course) but I see this happening alot when marines try to expand quickly. No marines near base to stop it and res too low to beacon.
[snapback]41323[/snapback]
you need to have weapons one by the time the first fades come on the map, shotties without weapons 1 = not dead fades.  You have to play it by ear a bit, but if you really feel the base is being pressured, really the only good option is a beacon and dropping shotties on all your marines.  The fade will think twice about ignoring a team full of shottied marines on thier way to a hive.

February 23, 2005, 09:33:32 AM
Reply #69

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
you need to have weapons one by the time the first fades come on the map, shotties without weapons 1 = not dead fades.  You have to play it by ear a bit, but if you really feel the base is being pressured, really the only good option is a beacon and dropping shotties on all your marines.  The fade will think twice about ignoring a team full of shottied marines on thier way to a hive.
[snapback]41405[/snapback]

http://manual.nsguides.org/basic/damageCalculator.htm

Well, I'm not sure about that assessment of w1. w1 and w0 both get you the fade dead in 4 shots. I'd rather have an hmg in the field to kill the fleeing fade than w1 sg.
-Richard Feynman

February 23, 2005, 09:00:52 PM
Reply #70

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Temm harrasses you if you don't compensate to what he says.

February 24, 2005, 10:47:03 AM
Reply #71

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Temm harrasses you if you don't compensate to what he says.
[snapback]41512[/snapback]
Compensate? You have to pay him money  for what he says? huh?
-Richard Feynman

February 24, 2005, 11:55:39 AM
Reply #72

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
1. IP
2. Armoury
3. As many RTs as I can get before... approximately 2 minutes
4. Obs (for bacon - when I comm, aliens just LOVE rushing my base)
5. Phase tech
6. Arms Lab (this might be switched with obs+phasetech if my marines like to die a lot)
7. Armour 1
All the time: take down their nodes

Then it just depends on how well you're doing. You might need to recap res nodes, or make a full-on assault on a hive, or sneak a phase gate in the hive. I don't spend res on locking down any location; I put a res node and a phase gate next to it. However, most of the time, this doesn't work; I don't respond fast enough.
[snapback]41035[/snapback]
I know you asked for my input before, so here is my critique. If your marines are getting owned, try and get upgrades sooner, rather than later.
For example:
1. IP
2. Armory
3. RT
4. Arms Lab
5. a1
6. RT

You should have your AL hotkeyed and constantly check it to see if research is done and your rines are ready for another upgrade.
[snapback]41062[/snapback]

While you're at it, hotkey your IP and armory too. If you have VoX, You'll only need one slot for all your marines, AL, Obs. Hotkeying these structures serves as a warning if you get attacked in base

February 26, 2005, 07:26:29 AM
Reply #73

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
If it were a PCW then i use the opening minute or so to secure RTs. Once i have about 4 rts and a1 goes up then i'm looking to start pressuring alien rts. Generally 1 shotgun will be dropped to speed everything up and then I place a PG in the second hive before it goes up.

If i fail in denying second hive then i put down 3/4 shottys and welders and try and get a PG at a key junction, the rest of the team will then get hmgs and we'll push through to the hive location where the shotties take it down whilst the hmgs stop any fades.

If the PG goes up then what happens next depends a lot on the aliens. You can expect added pressure on your RTs at this time so defending them is a priority and recapping can often take several marines if their fades around. The aim is just to sit back and hold my RTs, tech up some more and hopefully kill some fades. If the aliens recap or drop a different hive then we push out and keep that whilst still holding our PG so we have something to fall back on before I push on the last hive.

My build order is: IP, ARMOURY, ARMS LAB -> A1 RT, RT, RT, RT. (Starting res gone)
Advanced armoury, a shotgun (maybe)  weapons1, PG, obs.
After this i go for weapons 2 and MT asap.

Comming is a public is generally a less organised version of the above.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

February 26, 2005, 10:34:37 PM
Reply #74

NewBorn

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I change my comm style alot (I like to try new things). The one i've decided on most recently is hitting there nodes early (if we get to a hive area,I electic res, NO turrets) upgrade weapons/armor FAST (sometimes results in 8min armory upgrade, but lvl 2 weapon/armor shotties are pretty damn good)

things i need to work on: Electrifying non essencially placed res, base defense, jumping out of chair, understanding the rines position in battle ("HURRY BUILD!!", when there getting rushed/harrassed by many skulks), Getting to into what rines are doing and forgetting to upgrade when and what i should.

P.S: I am open to comments about my comming style(s), In fact i would love to hear what you guys think.
losing your mind is only half the fun,
when you've lost it all, is when the fun begins

February 27, 2005, 12:52:00 AM
Reply #75

Azazeal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Honestly Newborn, i like your comming style, probly from playing with you alot, it shows in the way that i am comming, even tho im still....intimidated by the chair, i think you are a fine comm

February 27, 2005, 03:05:15 PM
Reply #76

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
Question:

[snapback]41323[/snapback]

This is why I go for fast HMGs every game I play.  I drop myself a HMG right away and use that in combination with the obs to hop out as aliens move into base and cut them down.  Even fades will run from a HMG in base, especially if you can get a good bead on the fade as you hop out and track him around.  You need to defend  base yourself as the commander, that is your job once the game is rolling.  Voicecomm allows you to do your job in the chair, tell marines where and what to do, and defend base all without breaking a sweat or having to pause.  Seamless integration of all of these is what lets your marines focus on what they need to do while you keep the aliens pinned down outside base and helpless to stop your marines moving around.  

The main thing to worry about is the smart fade.  This fade will never leave marine start, it constantly harasses the crap out of marine start.  It takes an ambush of some type to get this fade.  Read my fade-killer article, I talk about this some.

February 27, 2005, 10:55:46 PM
Reply #77

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I change my comm style alot (I like to try new things). The one i've decided on most recently is hitting there nodes early (if we get to a hive area,I electic res, NO turrets) upgrade weapons/armor FAST (sometimes results in 8min armory upgrade, but lvl 2 weapon/armor shotties are pretty damn good)

things i need to work on: Electrifying non essencially placed res, base defense, jumping out of chair, understanding the rines position in battle ("HURRY BUILD!!", when there getting rushed/harrassed by many skulks), Getting to into what rines are doing and forgetting to upgrade when and what i should.

P.S: I am open to comments about my comming style(s), In fact i would love to hear what you guys think.
[snapback]41834[/snapback]
your pretty good except NOT ENOUGH MEDS / AMMO . Click that little icon or it makes baby jesus cry.

February 28, 2005, 12:02:13 AM
Reply #78

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site

[snapback]41834[/snapback]
your pretty good except NOT ENOUGH MEDS / AMMO . Click that little icon or it makes baby jesus cry.
[snapback]41922[/snapback]
That would be my one complaint too.  You're slower then I am at responding to med/ammo calls... which is a very very bad thing  :angry:

February 28, 2005, 03:35:29 AM
Reply #79

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Fatty, when the hell was the last time i commed you? :p

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet