Author Topic: Your Comming Style  (Read 18901 times)

December 19, 2003, 03:45:38 AM
Read 18901 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
a little thread to learn different styles of comming.

General style:
Very very fast. I get mad at anyone who usees the voice if they don't absolutely need to. my mainstays are the upgrades, pgs, hmgs, welders, sgs, sieges, with a few elect rts in there. I like my games short, and only one onos, and very very few fades, for my rines to take care of.  I like my rines in big groups of a3/w2 madness ideally. one good rambo makes the job much much easier.

Targets/Tasks:
1 Cap RTs
2 Defend and recap rts
3 Assault their rts ASAP
4 Get a PG network close to the action, see 2 and 3
5 Assault hive, see 2 and 3

Weapons go down when there is a specific objective (ie taking a hive, taking down a fade, etc). Welders go down periodically. PGs should be mined most of the time.

Communication:
I'm very communicative, I like to takl about everything that is going on. where to go, what we're doing, etc. I've seen some comms use only wps, and a few things typed, and do it well.

Chain of command:
I like to direct all movement, where we are attacking how much, who's doing what.

Things to work on:
-My lack of base defense has been used against me many a time. about 1/2 the time the aliens are so busy scurrying to defend agains the main assault, they negelt to hit main base. but when they do realise... I'm getting better at taking mytime to set up some base D and having a rine guard base.
-I really focus on giving my rines the tools for them to kill stuff. I think really worrying about gettnig to a3/w2 can sometimes be a detriment to other strats such as rushing to ha asap.

ok, you LM comms, chip in here with some ideas on your com style :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 12:07:49 PM by Niteowl »
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 19, 2003, 10:43:47 AM
Reply #1

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
(Writes down everthing Nite said and vows to do the complete opposite to piss him off)

;)

Anyway, I wanna see what would happen if the commander upgraded the armory as soon as the game started....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 10:44:36 AM by Uranium - 235 »

December 19, 2003, 12:09:08 PM
Reply #2

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Always be sure to keep teching, this includes getting armour 2/3 and MT

A good sign your team is doing good is if you have more nodes than the aliens, and it is consistantly such.

If you can a base around a elect TF will keep skulks away.

phase tech and upgrading the armoury are crucial in having marines win.

In pub's some comm's seem to fail to realize that the end goal is to kill the hives, remember this and try not to stray.

If you do have a good rambo who is camped out by a hive picking of skulks/taking down nodes/ harassing the aliens, send a medpack or two his way becuase the distraction can be well worth it.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

December 19, 2003, 01:16:49 PM
Reply #3

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
why do you get mad when people say hi on voicecomm?

i have no comm style, i chabge with the map
and i let my marines decide what to do (yo comm, tech up or comm tfac here)
and if someone asks for a shotgun and wastes it, next time they get an arms lab on the head

/_\
 :help:

December 19, 2003, 03:01:23 PM
Reply #4

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
i only commanded 1 full game, and that was in hydrosity.. AND I WON! booyah! kick to the face! watai!

December 20, 2003, 12:49:35 AM
Reply #5

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
i tend to avoid being comm, mostly because i dont believe in my own abilities, which aren't good anyway.

i dont really have a style - i comm by feeling, Emocomm! ;)

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

December 20, 2003, 03:26:47 AM
Reply #6

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I once won while comming, all the aliens conceded due to my awe-inspiring skills (And some help by rebinding all their controls to 'readyroom')

(j/k)

Or am I?

December 20, 2003, 07:20:25 AM
Reply #7

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
To be honest, my comming style really has no rhyme or reason.  The only games that I've actually ever won were hmg/jp 1.04 matches, to be completely honest  :p

Nonetheless, I believe that I can give a few pointers:  on pubs, electrification of every resouce tower can do wonders to keep you ahead in the early game.  

Motion tracking is not as important as weapon upgrades to me - I believe that te marines should be able to use their own damn two eyes (at least until the aliens get sensory upgrades  ^^ ).  As a marine, I thoroughly enjoy having massively upgrades weapons and armor - w3/a3 marine with just an lmg can do some serious damage (taking for granted that they can actually aim, obviously).  A group of w3/a3 marines is a real threat to the aliens - sensories (read:cloaking) are basically the only thing that can break up a competent 'la train' that is highly upgraded.

I believe moving into the hive to be the best form of action when taking a hive - Heavy Armor (if it's late in the game) is best when the hive is totally filld.  otherwise, la suffices fine as long as the aliens aren't hive three. Sieges just take to long and confuse things, in my own opinion.  Plus, it's easier for me as comm if i don't have to coordinate anything other than a simple WP and an order to spawncamp and kill any alien that appears  ^^

(of course, this strategy also hinges on the presence of actual competent marine players).

Last, I would recmmend safe placement of your TF in your base (if you indeed have one).  When you eventually lose (which is bound to happen when I command), sometimes you'll be able to spear oni by dropping turrents on their backs, as a final "f*ck you!" stand.  :D

Please note that the above post was in no way written by a good commander.  Use of these strategies will, in most situations, most likely make you lose.  Yes, I am a muppet.

December 20, 2003, 08:35:18 AM
Reply #8

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I hardly ever go marines, let alone comm, but because people on LM tend to be better organized as rines, I've been 'rining more often. Although because I don't comm often (maybe... 0.1% of the time), I've still been looking through comming strategy threads (like this one) to get some ideas.

From the few games I have commed, I like to have a group of marines sweeping across the map taking the nodes early, a few left at base to defend (even if I have an elec tfac), and one or two good rambos finding ways into enemy hives and gather intel. I tend to go for weapon upgrades more, as groups of marines should be able to take down smaller threats early on with greater speed, and anything that will increase intel, like motion tracking and occasional random pings around the map.

Usually I'm just one of the regular marines though, more prefferably the good rambo I mentioned (I've played alien enough times to know nearly all the places they do and don't like to set up stuff, and I know most of the vents and such that only I ever seem to use).

December 20, 2003, 01:33:40 PM
Reply #9

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Argh... Dubb, MT is the single best upgrade you can get your marines. Nothing prevents them from being ambushed as well as motion tracking does. A TREMENDOUS help.
And dropping a turret on an Onos classifies as an exploit. At least here it does. <_<

December 20, 2003, 01:56:17 PM
Reply #10

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
...dropping a turret on an Onos classifies as an exploit. At least here it does. <_<
*cough*

*slowly walks off while whistling*

December 21, 2003, 06:16:05 AM
Reply #11

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
I can sum up my comming style in one word. "Poor".

I get aggitated, i expect the marines to follow each and every word i speak, and as we all know from comming pubs, this never happens. It frustrates me intensely to have people not following orders and it throws my concentration off of what i should be doing.

Also, a lot of people disagree with the fact that i usually get upgrades for all of the marines over buying specific weapons for people. Call me dumb, but i prefer for the marines to all do the most damage possible as opposed to one marine doing a lot and the rest being screwed against a carspace skulk.

I may try comming again one of these days, but it won't be pretty.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

December 21, 2003, 06:56:15 AM
Reply #12

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
oh cmon nite you make it sound like my tfarms are a bad thing :(

most times i drop a single ip a armory and a electf and most times up the armory right off the start although not dropping any hvy weapons. this gives me a early headstart. i often do not elec nodes unless they are in a odd posistion or next to a hive ect. i mostly rely on my squads, and more importantly squad leaders to find waypoints and protect nodes... elec is a waste of 30 res that i would rather spend on upgrades or weapons. after that, the rest is up to the rines on the ground i just give waypoints and drop the nessasary equipment.

i find that the use of squads is important, but what i've found the best is if a few marines would speak up in the begining of the match and be squad leaders, personaly and i've tested it with a few buddies of mine pubs follow squads alot better if there is a marine on the ground repeating my orders to them rallying the squads and whatever, basicaly keeping an eye out on the squad... it makes my job as comm much easier and also i get good intel from the leaders and the squad usealy gets to waypoints much faster being if the squad leader is giving directions. Often squads without a squadleader will get separated by a skulk attack or they just take a wrong turn, where in i am forced to direct my attention on a single marine verses a squad which is much easier to give orders to, and most times gets my objectives completed. as i'm sure all us comms are aware of the headache it is when 1 marines request an RT and is later killed by a lone skulk... i wont even begin to tally the resources wasted.

basicaly a chain of command is all that i ask, squad leaders are very helpful to comms... at least to me.  so dont be shy, if you have good knowledge of the layout of the map and are capable of keeping tract of your squad ( ie, keeping the fools welded, directing to waypoints, notifying the comm of what your squad is encountering... blah blah blah the list goes on ) then speak up for god sakes, its so difficult to make squads, and yet squads make all the difference in 2.0

already i think i've said to much.
but pls, i ask that only the experienced ones, or at least those that know the layout of the map at hand speak up on voice comm, you'll find that i will always outfit a compitant squad with whatever may help them to crush the enemy.

as for judgment calls, ie, seigeing a hive or not, those are thing best left up the the comm... dont try to comm for me, you just confuse me and or misdirect my attention.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 07:01:27 AM by Seth »
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

December 21, 2003, 10:39:51 AM
Reply #13

Gunner2k

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://gunner2k.250free.com
Yesterday was the first time I acctually commanded a whole game on NS_Caged. I won, but It was only caause I had a great team. I relocated, I built tf, armory, and ip. Then electrified the TF, defending the comchair, ip, and armory etc. Then We took over an empty hive. Then we moved to sewer, sieged it, took it over, then took over ventilation. It was amazingly easy, but I have found a new respect for commanders. All this after we relocated to double. Then I bought shotguns for the team when they saw the first fade. And after we took over the first hive, I started upgrading, and after we took over sewer with sieges I got heavy armor for the marines, along with HMGs and Grenade Launchers, then I just did it from there. It was fun none the less, But I could see if it would be harder if your team was full of people who wouldn't listen to you and went Rambo.

December 21, 2003, 12:51:36 PM
Reply #14

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
oh cmon nite you make it sound like my tfarms are a bad thing :(

no, actually the opposite, i'm just not used to using tfarms effectively. which i think you do :)
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 21, 2003, 01:05:31 PM
Reply #15

Gunner2k

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://gunner2k.250free.com
Oh yea.. I'm a turret farmer. I turret farm so bad It's scary. Well Atleast when I lock down a hive, I put more senty turrets up then any other commander. Although I electrify the tf to, I put about 15-25 Sentry Turrets up all together around turret factorys.

December 21, 2003, 03:33:25 PM
Reply #16

CommunistWithAGun

• Skulk

• View Profile
My style varies on my mood. I may sound cranky but I get the win. B)
Got himself banned.

December 21, 2003, 09:48:18 PM
Reply #17

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
no, actually the opposite, i'm just not used to using tfarms effectively. which i think you do :)

thanks, i just thought everyone who farms turrents would do the same

i work my turrets in rings progressing away from the tf
first ring is most times 4 or 6 turrets around the tf then the next 2 rings contain 6 to 8 each sometimes 10 depending on the area available.
dont think i ever had more then 3 rings of turrets

also good placement of turrets will jamm up a fat onos and often allow you that extra 15 secs so the marines can phase in and kill it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 09:49:52 PM by Seth »
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

December 21, 2003, 10:16:03 PM
Reply #18

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I wish comming was more like starcraft. See playing starcraft is fun because I get to giggle while watching my 200 zerglings swarm a base, or giggle as I send my marines off to their doom, but I can still win. You can't have fun like that in NS.

December 22, 2003, 04:25:49 AM
Reply #19

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
CWAG has a Communist Comming style.

Which frankly is the best way to go.

FIX THIS!