Author Topic: A Problem With Regs.  (Read 5286 times)

August 13, 2004, 08:29:04 AM
Read 5286 times

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
See, I had 2 different games yesterday where I was comming, and the exact same thing happened on both.

Basically, us marines were just OWNING the entire map. Were kickin ass, taking names, and have a res flow like the missisippi river. I'm thinking "Man, this team kicks ASS." We LMG rush their upgoing 2nd hive, take it, and begin to prepare the rush on the final hive.

I give my marines exact orders(its eclipse)- go to Comm Core, but go through the vent so you can get on top of the hive quickly. They weren't hard orders, and my team was 100% people-who-knew-what-they-were-doing.

Well, at the end of station access, suddenly everything goes to s***. 2 people break off towards South Loop, 2 more going to the OTHER side of comm core, and only 2 actually in the vent. Well obviously, the people who went the 2 ways I specifically said not to go, died. My vent people lasted long enough to get a phase in the vent, but by this time the aliens had taken so many nodes, I couldn't drop too many more JPs.

Then, a few hours later on Veil, I comm again, thinking "This can't happen twice." Well, we take subsector, and hold it the entire game.We then try to take Cargo- and take it down thanks to siege. Then as were trying for Pipe, they put Cargo back up. Now, we take quite a long time to take Pipe, and we finally do at the exact moment their 2nd hive goes up, so their left with one hive. Now, we go for Cargo again. I tell everyone lets just fly in there and get it with JPs. Well right off the bat, 2 people go to double. Then 2 to subsector, and 1 returns to base and humps the armory for another 5 minutes. Then 2 others go to Pipe, and die. So does the 2 in double. Well, eventually, the subsector people understand "Yeah, lets go!" but by this time, I've got a phase in the vent next to cargo. They walk in, are about to take it, but get spored and the such and lose it.

So let me just say something to you regs: DO NOT STOP TRYING TO WIN UNTIL YOU HEAR THE EFFING MUSIC PLAY. YOU DECIDING WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO IS OKAY BECAUSE YOUR WINNING IS THE STUPIDEST IDEA YOU HAVE EVER HAD. NEVER DO IT AGAIN!

Thank you, and please keep this in mind.

August 13, 2004, 11:10:10 AM
Reply #1

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Ah yes, I was there on eclipse, however I didn't get a jetpack from the pile before they were all taken, so I just sat in base and watched the mission degrade via the map :( I can't even remember who won that but I think it ended up being the aliens.

August 13, 2004, 11:16:28 AM
Reply #2

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Ah yes, I was there on eclipse, however I didn't get a jetpack from the pile before they were all taken, so I just sat in base and watched the mission degrade via the map :( I can't even remember who won that but I think it ended up being the aliens.
[snapback]26102[/snapback]

Yeah, it was them.

August 13, 2004, 11:39:42 AM
Reply #3

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
:angry: I always try to follow orders, guess all you leet haxors need to go back to the drawing board...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

August 13, 2004, 12:56:09 PM
Reply #4

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Something about jetpacks tends to give marines wanderlust... :)
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

August 13, 2004, 01:00:26 PM
Reply #5

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Quaunaut: On veil i was like on noes the rines are surely going to win this one since the aliens were being complete idiots up to the point when we were down to just cargo.  Finally 3 of had enough to onos and we were able to organize devour attacks on your heavies which had they followed your orders in the first place we'ld surely have lost the map.  Btw i do know how to fight in a tight little vent as a skulk which surprises rines like no other.  Anyways i'm sorry you had such a terrible time comming when the game was surely in your favor.  Keep up the good work though Quaunaut you gave the aliens a run for their money <3  <3  <3  <3
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

August 13, 2004, 02:22:41 PM
Reply #6

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Something about jetpacks tends to give marines wanderlust... :)
[snapback]26130[/snapback]
True, but my wander lust always leads me to ninja a hive...  Thus if there is one hive left...

August 13, 2004, 07:38:34 PM
Reply #7

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
yes, this happens with lots of people, at the beggining, everyone seems to follow orders flawlessly, then later in game its like " wth are you guys doin, get to wp ! "
-_^

August 13, 2004, 08:53:42 PM
Reply #8

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Never drop JPs. Ever. It just encourages chaos.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

August 13, 2004, 09:16:47 PM
Reply #9

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
[snapback]26169[/snapback]
A+ for this man, I have yet to see a JP team stick together to get something done, JP's on the map just mean everyone ends up all over the place and no one is where they should be.  A small amount of quality JP players is ok for ninja hive PGing, but other than that, jp just screw over a team.

August 13, 2004, 09:51:38 PM
Reply #10

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
A+ for this man, I have yet to see a JP team stick together to get something done, JP's on the map just mean everyone ends up all over the place and no one is where they should be.  A small amount of quality JP players is ok for ninja hive PGing, but other than that, jp just screw over a team.
[snapback]26171[/snapback]

here is a solution for that *clears throat* COMMRAGE

try that when this happens cause it always works for niteowl though as bob has stated nite is a grand master of the highest order or commrage
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

August 13, 2004, 10:42:58 PM
Reply #11

Asal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Sorry man, I would have saved you, but I am still trying to fix NS on my compie (prolly reinstall steam).   Anyway, I do my best to follow orders, or at least say when I am going to do something different, and if you say no, I'll go. (I hope it looks that way....)
Asal 'The Unforgiving'
Fedaykin, Warrior of the Desert Mouse

"I will live to be immortal...or die trying!"

August 13, 2004, 10:50:12 PM
Reply #12

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nite would keep 'em in order. Yes, commrage solves all your problems. :p

Just say, "Don't me jump outta the chair and TK you." That could get some results. Then start ordering them around in a firm voice.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

August 14, 2004, 12:14:09 AM
Reply #13

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
[snapback]26171[/snapback]

here is a solution for that *clears throat* COMMRAGE

try that when this happens cause it always works for niteowl though as bob has stated nite is a grand master of the highest order or commrage
[snapback]26175[/snapback]

Nite would keep 'em in order. Yes, commrage solves all your problems. :p

Just say, "Don't me jump outta the chair and TK you." That could get some results. Then start ordering them around in a firm voice.
[snapback]26181[/snapback]

aww, nothing but lurve!  <3
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 14, 2004, 12:43:42 AM
Reply #14

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
thought you'ld like that nite since we all know you don't have many problems when the commrage rains down upon your marines. <3  <3  <3
[/b]

August 14, 2004, 07:54:57 AM
Reply #15

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
JPs suck on pubs and are not a recommended end game tool for above reasons.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

August 14, 2004, 01:32:42 PM
Reply #16

CorvusX

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I don't find JPs to be that bad... it all depends on the comm.  The comm makes the decision on who gets them.  If he doesn't, he should.

One thing to consider with them though:  Heavies call out for welding a lot more than JPs.  Armor is pretty important, and getting welded often can be a life-or-death choice.

As for regs disobeying orders:  by the end of the game, they're just having fun by ninja-ing everywhere.  Useless, but usually you can just bacon them back to base and commrage them to whereever they need to go.

:help:

I need more practice commraging.  Can we get a game going with a bunch of disobeying marines?  And a bit of coaching from Niteowl, if he doesn't mind... :p

August 14, 2004, 08:46:26 PM
Reply #17

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
JPs > Bacon

JPs are far too fast moving, they'll split up in seconds.

At least with HA you can see where everyone is going, and its a lot harder to get split up.

August 14, 2004, 10:03:30 PM
Reply #18

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
The jetpack is an excellent and powerful tool for assaulting hives.  In fact, it would be stupid not to get jetpacks on certain maps.  Hives like The Great Viaduct, Power Silo, Waste Handling (and many many more) are VERY jetpack friendly.  Don't think heavy trains can solve every problem.  Heavies do not do well in cramped spaces.  You're more likely to unload onto the back of your buddy than onto the skulks.

Think about it:  One jetpack != One heavy.  One heavy is useless.  It just makes you a big target and makes you easier to pick out.  One jetpack is different.  It gives large mobility and speed over your regular marine.

What many of you said is true, jetpacks are hard to handle, even with regs.  Some people are more experienced (read: can fly better) with jetpacks than others.  Large groups of jetpackers get seperated easily because some just zoom off, and others get stuck on the ceiling and get left behind.  The jetpack also feels very empowering to a marine.  Now not only can you get to places which were previously impossible, you can get there faster and more efficiently.  You're harder to kill, harder to hit, and its just all around more fun with jetpacks.

So what do we do with these rowdy marines who think they're invincible with a jetpack?  We need to baby them.  This means, you guessed it, commrage.  Waypoints and screaming into the mic directing everyone in the same direction.  Ground commanders help to by leading the group to the specified place.  If it doesn't work out, bacon them back again and again until they get it right.  15 res a bacon is better than losing 30 res a marine (jp + shotty + welder) + whatever RFK you gave to the aliens.

I was on that game with Quaunaut, and was one of the two marines that actually got into the vent in computer core.  The orders were "Go to compcore, but go through the vent".  one marine went through the left door, the others follow, while I went through the right door, through station access to subjuction III and into the vent.  Besides Asurada, no one else made it.  My guess is they went to maintenance (Which was heavily lamed) and died.  What you needed to do was set the waypoint, and yell at individual people.  Humans will follow the mass, because humans thirst for leadership.  If you get the leader to go where you need, then the rest will most likely follow.  When you saw they were headed to maint, beacon back, then try it again.
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

August 14, 2004, 10:58:30 PM
Reply #19

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
While its true there are some maps which are favourable to JPs, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather take 5 minutes longer to train in with tfac support as opposed to 20 minutes and who knows how much wasted res trying to get 6 jpers into the same spot as the same time.