Author Topic: Lm Community Made Map  (Read 80545 times)

June 02, 2004, 06:36:51 PM
Reply #40

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I'd help with anything needed... but not too sure what I could do other then agree basicly with everything bob just said :) (damn there's no proving wrong that guy!) so if you need something that is somewhat of an odd job ill be here...

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

June 03, 2004, 05:04:52 PM
Reply #41

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I felt like mapping something, so I whipped up a quick resnode area for a style test.

Any crits, etc etc?  Anything, and I mean anything can be changed.

June 03, 2004, 05:05:33 PM
Reply #42

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Aaaaand go figure - I forgot the attachment.

:rolleyes:

June 03, 2004, 06:52:37 PM
Reply #43

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Needs lens flares.

June 03, 2004, 06:58:33 PM
Reply #44

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nice. I like a map with a lot of vertical fun, layout wise. High dark ceilings mean extra fun for ambusing skulks, blinking fades, and jetpackers. The texture choices are spiffy too. Got any more sets you want to throw out? And by the way, do we have anyone with any skill at doing infestation?

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 03, 2004, 07:51:53 PM
Reply #45

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I've been using the v_wad texture set (FAM ROXORZ MY BOXORZ OLO), the Teck texture set, and the NOS texture set - all should be in your beta 4 NSP directory :)

That particular room is something of a silo - it's a circular shaft that goes straight up to a grate at the top with vents, etc etc leading off.  The actual node is on an "island" of sorts - I plan on making the deep crevices (that is, the areas past the railings) into blackness and put clip brushes there in order to keep anybody from getting stuck.  Also, i wanted to put some nice steam shooters all around the platform, but am an entity nub and decided to leave that to someone else.

Any more crits?  besides uranub being a nub?  :p

*edit* and those lights are actually red - not orange.  I had to adjust the levels in photoshop to brighten the picture up a bit.  So far, I've only added those red lights you see and the purple spotlights around the actual shaft.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 07:53:22 PM by Dubb »

June 03, 2004, 11:49:41 PM
Reply #46

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yes! I love the whole walkway-over-pit-of-doom thing. It tickles me in my happy place. I'm all for basing more of the map on a similar theme. If we could just make a layout...

June 04, 2004, 02:13:20 PM
Reply #47

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
effing layouts...I like winging it  <3

Anyways, I'm gonna be gone until Sunday.  So if you need my benevolent presence before then, I do believe you're screwed  :p

If I don't see a layout by the time I'm back, there shall be hell to pay.  Much hell.  <_<

June 04, 2004, 03:11:39 PM
Reply #48

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I've got some basic layouts down on paper. Zazi has offered me some hosting space in return for hawt loving, so I should have a place to upload to soon. I'll whip something up in mspaint (lol mspaint) and have it for us to poke and prod sooooon.

June 06, 2004, 04:08:02 PM
Reply #49

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I've got some basic layouts down on paper. Zazi has offered me some hosting space in return for hawt loving, so I should have a place to upload to soon. I'll whip something up in mspaint (lol mspaint) and have it for us to poke and prod sooooon.
k.

DO EET

June 06, 2004, 04:11:29 PM
Reply #50

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Schools quitting for 10weeks here now, so i've got more than enough time to take up ampping again. But i suck and need training again so meh. I'll maybe take it up again.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

June 07, 2004, 12:01:02 PM
Reply #51

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
DO EET
Paper layout is down. I'd transfer it to mspaint right now if I thought I could get away with it at work...  :D  Should have it by tonight, if not bug me on IRC and make sure I'm not just wasting all my time playing NS.

EDIT: SI DONE.

Before you scream WTF, let me explain a bit. Firstly, and most importantly, this is ONLY A BASIC LINE LAYOUT. It only shows paths from point A to point B. Obviously a map made like this would be marine ownage, as all those straight halls would be murder. Instead of straight halls, think of the route from MS to generator hive on ns_caged. Layout wise, it's a straight line, no paths deviate off of it. In game it's all twisty and turny and goes through various elevation changes and so forth.

A few things to explain. The little arrows indicate changes in elevation, as I had a few ideas that might be fun with that. The crossroads just outside of the right hive (with the hard to see number ONE next to it) is actually not totally a crossroads. The east west path goes OVER the north south path. You can jump from the top path to the bottom, but you can't get from bottom to top without wallwalk, blink, JP, etc. This keeps marines from insta-rushing that hive, as it's not a very long jaunt from MS.

The room at the bottom, with the TWO in it also needs a bit of explaining. It's a sort of a siege area for the lower hive, and a larger room. It's also a pretty strong choke point. What I see here is the middle area of the room being lower, while the paths on the side that lead into the hive are actually higher, and are also inaccessible from the floor. Either you'd have to go through the north path (which runs under this higher level {briefly, as level over level is bad}) and then loop back around to get to the upper area again, or we might consider having a broken part of the upper catwalk area fallen down and acting as a ramp. It would at least limit traffic to a certain area and make battles for this room more interesting. I see this as an area similar to cargo on tanith. Very hard to hold for either team, but also very strategically important.

I've sort of tried to indicate the higher and lower areas with the dotted line that goes meandering through the middle of the map, but I think it's only served to confuse things more. If it doesn't make much sense, just ignore it. The layout is the same, the elevation changes are just to make it more interesting and they can easily be changed later.

It's got ten nodes right now. I might like to reduce that to nine. If I did, I'd probably take the node out of the very middle, as it's pretty close to the lower choke point room and controlling both of those areas would indicate excellent map control, and may not need to be rewarded with another node.

At the moment this doesn't include ANY vent paths. I'd probably add in some to connect the hive areas together, and maybe one of those fun old-skool vents into marine start to annoy marines with. (But one that it's hard to spore or bile bomb from, that's just too stupid)

So. Comments on layout? I want to hear from EVERYONE here. You don't need mapping knowledge of any kind, just experience playing NS. Does this look balanced? Res too far? Any res look too easy to hold? Any hive look like it would be a death sentence to start in? Can you think of a strategy here that would be unbeatable? I've tried to make enough paths around that ninjas would always have some method to sneak a PG somewhere. WoL lovers, what would you lame up to control this map? Comms, where would you turret farm? HELP ME MAKE THIS PERFECT!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 04:41:53 PM by BobTheJanitor »

June 07, 2004, 04:33:44 PM
Reply #52

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
DO EET
Paper layout is down. I'd transfer it to mspaint right now if I thought I could get away with it at work...  :D  Should have it by tonight, if not bug me on IRC and make sure I'm not just wasting all my time playing NS.
Sounds like a planz0r.   And thee shall be duly slapped if thee dost not produce.

June 07, 2004, 04:50:35 PM
Reply #53

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Look!

The blue lines are vents that are needed, as the aliens could be locked into the right most hive with 2 tfarms

That center hive becomes a double node, and the marines can be confined to some areas with a few WOL's
I'd say you need to add some more vents

Marine start needs to be switched with the middle hive
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 04:53:12 PM by devicenull »

June 07, 2004, 04:53:24 PM
Reply #54

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
{Ye picture}
Seems not too problematic then. WoLing those three areas would require a good bit of gorgey work, so it'd mean the marines were probably good and trapped in base. And Tfarming both of the red areas would require building one and then walking through the hive and back out to get to the top area to build the other.

June 07, 2004, 04:59:01 PM
Reply #55

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
You forget about mine ladders!

June 07, 2004, 05:01:29 PM
Reply #56

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
We have ways of making mine ladders a huge pain. OH YES, WE HAVE WAYS....

I'm not sure what they are right now, but I'll think of something. And I suppose spending ten res on a temporary ladder in order to bypass walking right through a hive wouldn't be too exploitative. I'd see it more as creative use of available resources. Besides, the next gorge that waddles by could just spit your mines down.

June 07, 2004, 05:04:49 PM
Reply #57

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Nother one

Needs a good vent system to keep marines on their toes!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 05:05:20 PM by devicenull »

June 07, 2004, 05:07:57 PM
Reply #58

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Here's a spot that my little portion I'm working on can fit (give or take)

I also drew a mini diagram of it in the upper right, as you can see.

June 07, 2004, 05:15:21 PM
Reply #59

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Gah, nm
Dont want to confuse you all
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 05:21:40 PM by devicenull »