Author Topic: The Commander Comment Corner  (Read 11691 times)

May 27, 2004, 09:16:57 PM
Read 11691 times

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Topic kind of says it all.  If you have any criticism or comments to commanders in LM, go ahead and post them here.

I've just gotten into comming so I wanna see your guys's opinion on how I've done so far.

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

May 27, 2004, 11:43:58 PM
Reply #1

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Biggest thing I look for in a good comm is attentiveness and forethought. I'm the sort that follows all orders, even ones that seem incredibly stupid. Go into that OC filled room and clear it out with my knife? NO PROBLEM! But I'm relying on the comm to realize that I'm going to need a lot of meds to do that. Everyone grab a shotgun and phase? I'M ON IT! But you better be dropping me ammo on the other side, or the next time you pull that trick I'll be humping first. Let's go back and try and take that hive for the fourth time? ROGER THAT! But if we tried rushing the first three times and died to OC fire, you wanna consider sieging this time?

Basically, show me that you're not just tossing out orders and then sitting back and sipping your gin and juice. You've got to be right there on the field with your marines, ready to drop anything that's needed. Nothing's worse than having to wait and wait for a comm to drop you an RT or God forbid a PG right outside a hive where you've been hiding for two minutes.

And always think ahead. We're going to take double? OK. When the RTs are up and you've got a turret farm and a phase gate and an armory and the floor is plastered in mines, what now? After playing for a while, you know exactly when to start worrying that things aren't going right. And if you've sucessfully taken an important point on the map and you're not getting much resistance, that probably means the enemy is busy putting up a hive and laming up the siege points. Keep us moving, keep us appraised of your plans. Tell me what upgrades you're getting as you get them, and even what you've got planned next. Don't ask me if I want JP or HA. Make an informed decision based on the map layout, the hives we're likely to have to assault, and the makeup of the team. Then work your plan. That's what the comm is there for. Nothing worries me more than a comm going to the team for advice, it shows me he's got no plan. You've got the best view of the battlefield, you know what's coming.

Oh, and always drop an arms lab straight off and get A1 first. Waiting 5 minutes to stop dying in two bites is just silly!

Uhm... any questions?  :)

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

May 28, 2004, 12:26:51 AM
Reply #2

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
yeah, what bob said.

ps. bob dont you like my layback comm style?

"what no one building my base? ok lets relocate... to umm, whoever doesnt die in the next 2 minutes."
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

May 28, 2004, 12:58:57 AM
Reply #3

Path

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
There is one major thing that causes me to give full devotion to the commander, support.

I was playing a game today, where george was the commander on Tanith. During one protion, I went and checked on the RTs in West access and Waste hive from some teammate assigned order. After checking on West access and moving to Waste, I found a gorge doing his cute little best to bile the RT down. In short order the RT was safe (yay yay typekill!) and george dropped 2 ammo packs and a medpack.

With that simple little support of 6 res, I was ready to charge fanatically into battle against the nearest fade with nothing but the butt end of my flashlight...
</Path>

Commanding is like playing StarCraft, only the units curse at you when you lose.
Anything is a weapon if you swing it right.

May 28, 2004, 07:50:00 AM
Reply #4

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I'm with Jefe, I'd love comments on my comming style. It seems I can win more easily on LM than on other pubs. Is it because you guys trust me more, or just because we have civ on our team? :)

Seriously, I'd like comments/criticisms on my comming style, I've tried scrimming once, failed horribly... And there's this certain server I can't win as comm on to save my life...
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

May 28, 2004, 08:20:01 AM
Reply #5

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
I would like some comments on my comming style...since I never seem to win.  Comments that do not involve more medspam please.

May 28, 2004, 09:09:44 AM
Reply #6

Golgothaa

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://ehs.lps.org/biz/kahle/mainpage.htm
isamil next time i play marines with u comming, ill try and help and give u insight and ideas. I cant remember exactly right now why u seem to lose games, theres some vital thing your missing and i cant think of it off the top of my head. Im getting better at comming, when i comm, and have a decent marine team, i win 1/2 the time, maybe more i dont know, insight would be good on my comming too. though i know i can be a bit bitchy at times, just seems alot of the time with my comming games, people dont like to stick together rofl.
"Thank God I'm An Atheist"
WTF?! STEW FOO
"mmm You Touch my Tra laa laa, mmmm My Ding Ding Dong"

May 28, 2004, 09:19:49 AM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
awesome points bob! sounds like someone is ready for the CC :D

seth, yes, you are probably by far the most laid back, dare i say, catatonic comm, evar.

rad, i still haven't seen, or remember you comming. i think we play during diff timezones.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

May 28, 2004, 09:32:06 AM
Reply #8

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
I know I'm missing something, not sure what...
I always seem to have a lot of res on hand(Perhaps beacuse I use less medspam).  Should I drop more shotguns?

May 28, 2004, 09:45:29 AM
Reply #9

Sandrock

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gblan.com
Golgotha is a great comm. He jumps out of the chair to help build IPs and other structures, and then gets telefragged! Golgotha's comedy hour at its finest  :lol:

May 28, 2004, 09:47:01 AM
Reply #10

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Always be using your res. Res not spent is res you shouldn't have bothered capping. There are two economies in natural selection. Resources and time. If you're wasting time to get resources that you don't use, you're hurting yourself. That's why some commanders will (GASP!) tell you to totally pass by a resource node and move on to a different goal. Remember, early game aliens are very weak. They have one hive, no chambers, and no higher lifeforms. For the rest of the game they are slowly ramping up their power level. The trick is to kill them before they get too strong or they'll eventually overpower you. Time is a huge factor.

So if you've got a lot of res and it's not doing anything, first check and make sure you don't lack upgrades. From game start you should have an arms lab down and it should always be researching. A1, w1-2-3, a2-3, unless you have a different plan that you like better. MT is great if you've got good marines who know how to use their minimap to the fullest. (That's a whole different subject though) If fades are blinking about, you should have a squad of shotgunners equipped to take out the fade. Then either send them somewhere that you know the fade will come (try to assault a hive, maybe) or just send them specifically fade hunting. Then keep an eye close on them. Be ready to med them! TWO res in a medpack can make the difference between a dead fade and a lot of dead shotgunners.

The point being, there should always be something to do with your res. If you can't find ANYTHING to do with it, clearly you've capped too much res and you haven't been paying attention to time management. Go attack something!

Although, on a fun note, if you've got a lot of res it's fun to give out random mine packs and have marines just plant them at odd choke points around the map. Surprises the aliens every time!  :p

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

May 28, 2004, 10:24:20 AM
Reply #11

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
isamil next time i play marines with u comming, ill try and help and give u insight and ideas. I cant remember exactly right now why u seem to lose games, theres some vital thing your missing and i cant think of it off the top of my head. Im getting better at comming, when i comm, and have a decent marine team, i win 1/2 the time, maybe more i dont know, insight would be good on my comming too. though i know i can be a bit bitchy at times, just seems alot of the time with my comming games, people dont like to stick together rofl.
The biggest problem I have with your comming is that you rarely talk to the marines.  Some marines need direction at all times (marines like me :D)  Make sure you keep your marines informed on what your plans are.  Tell them what upgrades you're getting, if and where you plan on seiging out a hive.  It rarely seems like you give out orders.

Oh and I know I've harassed you about this before so sorry for that.  It's one of my pet peeves.

Edit: Appendix A:  I think good communication is one of the most important parts of the commanding.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 10:25:27 AM by Jefe »

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

May 28, 2004, 11:25:24 AM
Reply #12

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Most fight urge to post about medspam.

I don't really comm that much on LM these days, i'm not one for comming marines i don't know as i don't feel i can trust them. People aren't on the same wavelength as me a lot of the time. Maybe it's how aggressive i am.

Also the fact that my mic apparently sucks when playing with people on LM, maybe it's the ping which causes it to break up so much or something but it's hard for people to hear my orders which puts me off comming. Who knows though, a few of you will of at some point seen me comm i'm sure, whetever you'll know it was me because i often smurf it up a lot is also a different matter.

I'm also quite happy to try and help any comms too, though some don't seem to like that, maybe it's the way i type. :|

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

May 28, 2004, 11:30:26 AM
Reply #13

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I would also like some feedback on my comming.  I seem to win a fair portion of my games, but I'd like to know what i can do better.
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

May 28, 2004, 11:50:41 AM
Reply #14

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I love it when Rad comms, he always has 'rines capping nodes way way far away from base only minutes into the game. This is tremendously hard on the early game cap'n-go gorges, who are often caught at nodes they figured were safe to drop. The implications of this are obvious, and soon res starved aliens are stuck in their single hive, unable to move. The only thing I've seen that breaks Rad's gradual takeover strat is a team of monstrously aggressive aliens. Aliens that seem to be everywhere at once in decent numbers, always chewing nodes and furiously (and successfully) destroying groups of marines before they can setup any sort of outpost. Of course aggressive aliens can be a problem, but when they come at you piecemeal (as most do) then it's usually not a problem. But combine that aggression with coordination... yea, hard to beat.

Occasionally the bad 'rine team comes along. You know, the team that, boiled down, is about as coordinated as a wet brick in flight.
The one that no commander can put up with, and really, the only other thing that will stop Rad from winning.

In the field, Rad is quick to answer requests, and will give you what you need and nothing more. Just enough for you to accomplish your task without sacraficing too much res. (Of course, if he has the res, he's a champion ammo/med spammer)

And finally, Rad's wonderful attitude and complimentary habits draw tremendous respect from me and hopefully other regs as well. It's this level of trust and respect that makes the magic happen.

However, I've always seen your strategy as gradual, never overly aggressive nor passive. It's like a loose bulldozer in a suburb, crushing only what gets in the way, never in a hurry to do so, and at the same time being very hard to stop. Since I've never scrimmed before, I'll refrain from trying to think up an answer as to why your strats wouldn't work, but I bet it has to do something with the faster pace of play.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents along with whatever else was in my pocket.  :huh:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 11:54:43 AM by X-S-Z »

May 28, 2004, 02:12:16 PM
Reply #15

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
i absolutely hate it when i am sitting in west access, or sleeping quarters, waiting for an resource tower, i see we have 15 res, but the commander does not see my text saying "rt in west access" or the "in position" thingy.  :angry:  :angry:   i don't know why, but a lot of commanders ignore it? i usually just press "need medpack", even if i am at 100 health. it seems to catch commanders' attention faster.

May 28, 2004, 02:34:21 PM
Reply #16

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
fatty as far as i know, "in position" doesnt bring up a alert to the cc
hitting the requesting orders butten works alot better, unless its' being spamm'ed by fools

ns needs a system that you can cycle through the request when you get multiple for the same thing... just me 2 c
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

May 28, 2004, 02:41:12 PM
Reply #17

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I would like to take this opertunity to apologize for a really really bad game that i had commed a few days ago. I think the map was ns_veil. everything started off very well. we had gotten a few nodes and res was flowing nicely.

The problem arose when it was time to take a hive. for some reason the part of the map that the hive was in caused me to lag trmendously. making for dropping pg, medspam, etc. nearly impossible.

This eventually led to a very long game. rines were taking out the other two hives without a problem, but it kept comming back to that last hive we couldnt take down cuz of lag. around 35 mins in the game, the lag became so bad i lagged out and left my entire team hanging.

I had heard that my comming pissed a lot of ppl off. Therefor once again im sorry. o_O
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 02:42:00 PM by -Lancer- »

May 28, 2004, 03:37:21 PM
Reply #18

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
Jefe, my general orders are be getting RTs and killing RTs.  Moving in self appointed groups would be nice.  Can peope not handle the "do you own thing while using this general tactic" thing?

May 28, 2004, 04:15:57 PM
Reply #19

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Can peope not handle the "do you own thing while using this general tactic" thing?
that's not commanding, sir.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman