Author Topic: The Commander Comment Corner  (Read 12156 times)

June 01, 2004, 06:25:07 AM
Reply #40

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
res gopher? you mean getting r4k for you?  B)
No, you're always the one to go cap those way off in the distance nodes and alos make a round to recap when needed.

There are a few regs that I know when they are on my team, I don't have to worry about sustaining nodes as much, because they' will find the open/lost ones to cap.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

June 01, 2004, 09:53:29 AM
Reply #41

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
the proper term is 'flex' rad :) it usualy involves someone who has a complete game. understands short, mid, and long term goals. and worries about that distant node that just went down. they can also shoot quite well. you can name a node, and they'll get it.

flexes are the core to my comming. without them, we'd lose even more than usual :)

top flexes on owleh's list, in no particular order:
bob
sancho
fatty
hd

bob: awesome post about microing and comming. you should take the chair more often! of all the rines who never take the chair, that was the ubarest post on comming i've seen :)

mrben and rad: i must see you comm with yer ubar skills!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 01, 2004, 12:55:52 PM
Reply #42

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Every time I think about grabbing the old chair, I always remember previous times with teams full of deaf rambos and marines that can't shoot a single skulk down a long hallways with HMGs. And people that yell for me to turret up every RT... or get into a hive with five shotguns and then yell for a tfac until they get killed by a passing gorge. Or who think they're going to win the game on their own and end up ruining everything by giving away the team's position... sigh. I seem to attract the idiots, and so I don't comm that often at all.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 01, 2004, 02:47:23 PM
Reply #43

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
That's the beautiful thing about LM though Bob; if you tell your team to kill the idiot, they can.
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

June 01, 2004, 03:39:49 PM
Reply #44

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
That's the beautiful thing about LM though Bob; if you tell your team to kill the idiot, they can.

This is why i love LM <3

June 01, 2004, 05:25:08 PM
Reply #45

Majin

• Skulk

• View Profile
Since my last 6 times as Comm have lead to my team Dying a slow, aweful death, I am starting to be turned off of comming.
I have always known I wasn't a strong comm, but since I have just been getting my ass handed to me lately I don't think I'll be sending any more marines to death anytime soon.

/majin hangs up his comm chair seat cover

I don't really need to hear comments on my Comm skillz... I know I suck.  :(

June 01, 2004, 06:49:01 PM
Reply #46

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Since my last 6 times as Comm have lead to my team Dying a slow, aweful death, I am starting to be turned off of comming.
I have always known I wasn't a strong comm, but since I have just been getting my ass handed to me lately I don't think I'll be sending any more marines to death anytime soon.

I don't really need to hear comments on my Comm skillz... I know I suck.  :(
awwww, poor majin! ask the comms on LM for tips you wanna get better.  you certainly are one of the more affable comms i've come across :D
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 02, 2004, 01:17:24 AM
Reply #47

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke

I don't really need to hear comments on my Comm skillz... I know I suck.  :(
indeed majin, you just need to learn to make the most of every situation

like today on mineshaft, you focus'ed so much on tram and double you forgot totaly about sewer and drill hives

like i said above make the most of every situation, like the times i was in sewer, requesting orders and you had none for me... a tf in sewer would have given us the win right there, or even those two res nodes at sleeping and cafe would have given us the upper hand, but you spent to much time in double. (side note, i checked on those two nodes every so often and they remained open untill they took out double, i could have held those and maybe with a little help even have taken over sewer)

inshort, divide and conqure... once a area is tf'ed up MOVE ON, its important to always have your marines hunting aliens, even if its just gorges trying to put up towers because sometimes that makes all the difference.

dont give up, i was like you once too just think BIG PICTURE.
after all you have the whole map to move marines around in, take advantage of it.
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

June 02, 2004, 06:59:15 AM
Reply #48

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
When you lost to SC on ns_nancy it was because you spent too long fannying around in subsector turret farming even further an already secure hive rather than medspamming your marines into port engine, the hive they were going to put up to stop them getting DCs.

If i was the comm, once i'd farmed mess and had an obs in there i'd have plowed straight into port engine and THEN gone back to subsector. I also would of, depending on the defence in aux gen setup a siege in mother and blow their only other res node straight to hell to stop any higher lifeforms. You know starting hive so you can guess second hive very easily, aliens are in mother, there is no way in hell they're going to put up subspace hive and with SC the importance of stopping them getting a second hive is doubled. SC IS a powerful chamber when coupled with DC/MC. Just ask the poor bastards who had to cope with my cara/focus fading on tanith yesterday.

I could of strolled into port with the help of a few medpacks and got you anything you wanted there. You need to lissen to your marines more. Thinking that lissening to your marines on the ground and letting them help dictate your strategy is a bad thing isn't good. It's very helpful, a lot of us have a lot of experience and are just trying to help.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 07:02:04 AM by Mr.Ben »

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

June 17, 2004, 08:22:26 AM
Reply #49

Zel

• Lerker

• View Profile
Hi

What do I need to work on as comm?

June 17, 2004, 10:49:18 AM
Reply #50

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
zel: get a1 first dagnabit. w1 doesn't kill a skulk anyfaster, and a1 gives your rines 50% (FIFTY FREAKING PERCENT) better durabiility).

rad, saw yer comming on caged, j00 are teh ubar! yer also a mighty good flex :D

majin: if you ahve good rambos, let them control an area. they won't last forever, but it's all dynamic, if htey can hold it for 3 minutes, that's a HUGE advantage of denying rez and keeping th ealiens on their heels.
-Richard Feynman

June 17, 2004, 12:24:29 PM
Reply #51

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Reiteriting, because it's just that important.

W0 lmg vs skulk = 9 bullets
W1 lmg vs skulk = 9 bullets

A0 marine vs skulk = 2 bites
A1 marine vs skulk = 3 bites

Get A1 first!!!!

Other than that, your comm style is pretty good. Agressive, which is nice. You leave your early base undefended however. Consider a mine pack and maybe even a base guard. No turrets, though. Don't travel down that road, it leads to the dark side.

Point your marines where you want them to go, and make them all go there. That game on hera last night was ridiculous. You had us down to our last hive, but your HA/HMG marines were prancing about just outside like scared bunnies. (admittedly, they did have a cloaked focus fade to worry about  >:D ) Tell them where you want them and make them move. If the whole team had pushed on one entrance to archiving, you could have busted right through a lot faster than you did.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 17, 2004, 01:45:37 PM
Reply #52

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Point your marines where you want them to go, and make them all go there. That game on hera last night was ridiculous. You had us down to our last hive, but your HA/HMG marines were prancing about just outside like scared bunnies. (admittedly, they did have a cloaked focus fade to worry about  >:D ) Tell them where you want them and make them move. If the whole team had pushed on one entrance to archiving, you could have busted right through a lot faster than you did.
Zel: Exactly. When you got kicked, I hopped in in your stead. All I did was beacon, reoutfit, and give a WP for all to go to. I spammed meds and catpacks and ammo in front of them and said move in. It's like a red carpet of luv. they walked in, boom, it's over.

You just need to be very specific at times instead of "go in a shoot it". Marines are like lemmings...
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

June 17, 2004, 11:18:30 PM
Reply #53

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Ok guys, fire away. How much do I suck, and in what areas?

June 23, 2004, 08:45:45 AM
Reply #54

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Ok guys, fire away. How much do I suck, and in what areas?
Lol, I came to this thread with the intention of complimenting you, and I find this post tagged at the end.  ^_^

Just wanted to say you did an awesome job commanding last night on ns_metal, Lego.  Very precise and clear orders, very adaptable to the situation, and quite effective.  The best thing, though, was that you inspired the team by having a plan, telling everyone what it was, and getting them excited about it.  Didn't skip a beat after getting the first hive down, went right in and took out the 2nd.  I liked the waypoint on the vent for the jetpackers, I've never seen 3 people take out a hive so effectively.  Go catpacks!

Can't say much about your comming in general, I know I have awesome commanding days and days where I do just terrible, it definitely helped last night having a small team that followed your orders to the letter.  Still, the mojo was there.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

June 23, 2004, 01:24:01 PM
Reply #55

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
yea, legion, you are a awesome comm. i might even go as far as put you in the "rad, hd, salt, goldleader" category  :o.  if you are looking for SOMETHING to work on, although this is rather minor, work on your medspamming.

June 23, 2004, 04:30:50 PM
Reply #56

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
one of the biggest things I find helpfull when I comm is as follows

~

unbind v
bind b +voicerecord

That way I don't recyle structures when I yell at people ^_________^
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 23, 2004, 07:16:22 PM
Reply #57

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
yea, legion, you are a awesome comm. i might even go as far as put you in the "rad, hd, salt, goldleader" category
I hope that's in no particular order.  :blink:

Legion, you are a great comm. You're versatile and good under pressure, that's good. but as I sarcastically put it earlier, make sure you keep your marines in key points happy. I was holding Water treatment and refinery, I just needed you to keep me med and ammo fed. Of course, the voice spamming by everyone made it hard to communicate. Just keep a close eye on your requests.

And on a side note, I'm not picking on anyone in particular Seth, but if you are a marine, Seth, do not spam the request order button, Seth, it's really annoying, Seth!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 07:17:25 PM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim

SheenaYanai

June 23, 2004, 08:47:35 PM
Reply #58

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Jun 23 2004, 07:16 PM] And on a side note, I'm not picking on anyone in particular Seth, but if you are a marine, Seth, do not spam the request order button, Seth, it's really annoying, Seth!!!!!!
I second that motion!
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

June 23, 2004, 08:50:59 PM
Reply #59

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
anyone have any tips for my comming ? :D
ive commed um.. about 6,7 games in past 2 days.. and somehow won most  ^_^
-_^