Author Topic: What Frustrates You The Most While Playing Ns?  (Read 13687 times)

May 01, 2004, 10:34:21 PM
Reply #40

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
A bit off-topic, but I was wondering how leap was "exploited" back in 1.04, which forced flayra to reduce leap damage.  Anyone know?  I miss the old leap  :(
Leap used to be FPS dependant. People with 99 fps actually could cause damage with leap, and charge.

Flaynub decided that this wasn't fair and that both abilities should blow.

May 02, 2004, 12:41:02 AM
Reply #41

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
In terms of the damage they deal, I would assume you mean.  Leap and charge are both enormously powerful abilities, but not for their damage.

May 02, 2004, 03:12:13 AM
Reply #42

Kenny2.0

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
OK... bear with me.  Lets see.....

-How about when Comm drops a HA/HMG train, and ALL the noobs get in back so they can hide behind the entire team, and then as soon as one skulk shows up, they spray everyone standing in front of them... Yeah I've been told to stop that.. :p

-Or how about when Torque2k7 goes Fatty right at the end of the game and drops 20 OC's in MS.  Torque... plz... at least give us a death thats not humiliating.

-How about when people are talking over the mic while apparently EATING it so all you can hear is "KSJBDKJ  SKJDBK KSJBFK JSNKSJ, FKJSBFK KFJBSKF AKJDSFJKHEN ASDUJF DKJBFKSDJF KSDFJK SDFB!!!"  which winds up translating into "Hey guys, can you hear me ok, or am I eating the mic?"

thats good for now....
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 23kb - DHP

May 02, 2004, 08:22:36 AM
Reply #43

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
In terms of the damage they deal, I would assume you mean.  Leap and charge are both enormously powerful abilities, but not for their damage.
Leap can still kill in one click, right?  (assuming that constant contact is made)

May 02, 2004, 09:19:38 AM
Reply #44

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Leap can still kill in one click, right?  (assuming that constant contact is made)
According to the manual it deals 80 damage per second.

May 02, 2004, 09:37:49 AM
Reply #45

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Leap can still kill in one click, right?  (assuming that constant contact is made)
According to the manual it deals 80 damage per second.
Yeah - because I remember that if one leaps directly downward at a full-health marine's head and keeps constant contact,the marine will die in about two seconds (probably dependant n armor level)

So no, Uranub, if you can properly use it, leap can be quite powerful indeed. :)

May 02, 2004, 09:57:04 AM
Reply #46

Temm

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• Personal Text
    Bam in the FACE
    • View Profile
I hate it when fades hit you. Run away. Jump back in base. Seees a swarm of marines and knows who exactly is damaged enuf to get a kill.

May 02, 2004, 11:03:36 AM
Reply #47

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
So no, Uranub, if you can properly use it, leap can be quite powerful indeed. :)
The damage really isn't the reason leap is useful.  It does 80 damage per second, whereas bite does about 180.  It is useful because of the speed it provides.

Charge is also useful for that reason.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 12:46:23 PM by a civilian »

May 02, 2004, 11:52:30 AM
Reply #48

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
A single leap doesn't last for one second. And leap is simply not a powerful damage dealing ability. If you can find an AFK marine in a convenient corner so you don't slide off you can get a leap kill, that's about it. Like civ said, leap is useful because it allows the skulk speed. It's a 'ranged' attack of a sort, turning you into a projectile so you can get to the marines before they can shoot you.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

May 02, 2004, 12:30:01 PM
Reply #49

Sustained

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I demand a cannon mounted on the Onos named "Skulk-gun"!

*fits carapace* "Alrighty, Bertha. Let 'er rip!"

[size=8]Thanks to Grimm for the sig![/size]

May 02, 2004, 02:03:47 PM
Reply #50

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
On on the contrary - I've gotten many leap kills after biting a marine once or twice.  Leap usually disorients whoever it hits and makes them spray around wildly to getitiff.  It's not an offensive powerhouse (quite obviously) but can be very helpful in finishing off a straggling marine who may just have turned tail and run from you.  And on top of that, it's totally demeaning because of the infrequency of a leap kill  :lol:

And of course it's awesomely useful for locomotion :)

May 02, 2004, 02:54:33 PM
Reply #51

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
wasnt it he old "bind a key to impule so and so to make a hive 2 skulk jet around at super speeds"
something like that

if you bound a key to the leap impulse it let you leap with no energy and no sound.

leap damage was nerfed for a different reason I believe

oh and things that frusturate me?

1) no teamwork

2) people who don't listen
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

May 03, 2004, 06:53:32 AM
Reply #52

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I demand a cannon mounted on the Onos named "Skulk-gun"!

*fits carapace* "Alrighty, Bertha. Let 'er rip!"
This and the way people were asking on LM whether FF allowed you to devour teammates has inspired me to request Voogru's next project: the skulk launcher!

Devour a skulk, run into marine spawn, and spit him out at hyper-leap velocity!  Perfect for xenociding, and kids love 'em!

</offtopic>
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

May 03, 2004, 12:45:14 PM
Reply #53

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
A single leap doesn't last for one second.
The duration of leap may be longer than you think.  I have damaged hives with it long after I thought it had expired.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 12:46:42 PM by a civilian »

May 03, 2004, 02:52:08 PM
Reply #54

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
A single leap doesn't last for one second.
The duration of leap may be longer than you think.  I have damaged hives with it long after I thought it had expired.
But have you damaged marines? I havent done more than 10 damage to a marine while leap-biting them with leap since 1.04 :p. I think its the fact that leap doesnt stick to marines ever. I miss the days of when two skulks could fly together :(.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

May 07, 2004, 10:20:16 AM
Reply #55

Golgothaa

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://ehs.lps.org/biz/kahle/mainpage.htm
leap just plain blows because u cant control it very well. Charge u can atleast keep control of. Thats why u see many onos's getting charge kills and no skulks getting leap kills. I also have had a point where there was an afk marine but wasnt in a corner. and omg i could not even stay on his head using leap, i dont even know how much i hurt him either. The leap thing also with the hive, i leaped so far away, and like even with the hive, i was falling downwards and i still hurt the hive apparently. then everyone started to scream COMPUTER CORE, and im like ITS OKAY. lol. I got a friend who i can test with to see exactly how sucky or good leap is. Actually i can do it myself, i got 2 computers at home, and so i can find an empty server like combat, and find out. :)  >:D
"Thank God I'm An Atheist"
WTF?! STEW FOO
"mmm You Touch my Tra laa laa, mmmm My Ding Ding Dong"

May 07, 2004, 11:01:54 AM
Reply #56

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
leap just plain blows because u cant control it very well. Charge u can atleast keep control of. Thats why u see many onos's getting charge kills and no skulks getting leap kills. I also have had a point where there was an afk marine but wasnt in a corner. and omg i could not even stay on his head using leap, i dont even know how much i hurt him either. The leap thing also with the hive, i leaped so far away, and like even with the hive, i was falling downwards and i still hurt the hive apparently. then everyone started to scream COMPUTER CORE, and im like ITS OKAY. lol. I got a friend who i can test with to see exactly how sucky or good leap is. Actually i can do it myself, i got 2 computers at home, and so i can find an empty server like combat, and find out. :)  >:D
I think it is ~25 or something lower than that.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

May 27, 2004, 05:14:36 AM
Reply #57

TyrNemesis^

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://sedlatre.livejournal.com
A single triggering of leap lasts less than 1 whole second, so although it does 80 damage per second it totals up to 64 damage (damage inflicted in doses of 8, 8 touches per leap) Normally only 1-2 of those touches will ever reach the marine because of the sketchy game physics :(

Considering how difficult it is to get on top of a marine's head just to aim straight down and leap to do 64 damage, i think you're better off just leaping toward him and biting :)

As for what upsets me... People who play on a team but think that team's goals aren't their responsibility, e.g. the gorge that sits off in an inane corner of the map while your hive dies, or the skulk that sits there biting down a marine RT (which is easily replaced) as the marines kill one of your RTs (Which isn't). Equally bad is the marine who walks off down a random hallway ignoring teh commander who has given him orders to do something else. ACK! These things make baby onos cry.

I also hate myself. I sux at NS and i die too easily.
<3 the Gorge
</3 the Shotgun

May 30, 2004, 04:22:38 PM
Reply #58

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Well since i've become known to be quite a whiner, here's The List.
  • People that scream down the mic. I f**king hate this. Stop it.
  • People that blame you for stuff that's either their fault or the other team's.
  • People that team damage for "fun".
  • The shotgun being the NS equivalent of the RC2 bulls**t cannon. A hive should NOT be taken down by the time you hear the first "Your hive is under attack" sound.
  • Being on a team with bad players.
  • Res whores. Yes, this includes people that go Lerk with their starting res. Guess what guys, we need upgrades, a second hive and resource towers. Unless you're god-like with a Lerk (Which is beyond being just rare), don't do it.
  • Players oblivious to what's going on. Yeah, great, you're killing an enemy RT, good for you, but since you're the only Fade alive and our hive's under attack, how about f**king helping!
  • Smacktards. (See most of my points)
  • People breaking the rules and getting away with it.
  • People that can't learn to aim and decide to spray a HMG in your direction. And if they do kill you, they don't apologise.
  • People that say "Oh, i didn't know FF was on" when it states VERY CLEARLY in both the MOTD and on screen when you're playing that it's on.
  • Most players.
  • Skill stax.
  • Vets.
  • People that constantly stack marines just because they're better at that. Yeah, that means all the sh***y players are on aliens with me. Really makes for an unbalanced game.
And that's about it... for now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 04:23:56 PM by esuna »
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

May 30, 2004, 04:44:35 PM
Reply #59

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Pretty much everything on your list esuna.

And i came up with one more thing, when everyone is in the RR stacking Marines.
Don't you really hate it when you go alien and let one of the stackers go marines?

God i really hate that.

Also, getting the resbewt and right after you've got te boot you see that there is 15/17.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 08:02:35 PM by Clashen »
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen