Author Topic: Ns_desolate  (Read 19355 times)

February 18, 2004, 02:27:02 AM
Read 19355 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
<NOTE NOTE NOTE  -  This was made for a dark blue background, not awful LM white... highlight it, it makes it much easier to read :D - Lito, don't copy this part in..>

NS_DESOLATE[/font]

To: Marine 41156.11 - Class AAB - Echo - Echo Company - Solitarious System
Routing: 100123.12.687 - Node 22803.74.10 - Node 000022.10.8

Mission Briefing - OPERATION LIGHTBRINGER[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'] - Recorded at 14:30 - To Be Distributed to all Active Units of Echo - Echo Company, Echo - Sierra Company - Designation 455AC2[/font][/span]
CLASSIFIED[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']

Failure to comply with T.S.A. doctrine subsection 12 re: Disclosure and Disposal of Classified Documents, will be subject to review by a military tribunal.
[/font][/span]

[size=8]Soldier -

Six days ago, at 04:27 Standard Galactic Time, Border Station Merras' sent out an automated emergency call. The report appended to the call indicated that a massive power spike had fried the primary power grid, and the reactor failsafe had cut in. Four hours later, at 08:41, a maintenance crew had brought the primary grid back online, and the reactor was operating at 60% capacity.

Three days later, at 17:03, a second power spike, this one more then twice as strong as the first, knocked out the secondary grid as well. The reactor failsafe system malfunctioned, and a core breach flooded Subdecks two through fifteen with over 6,000 REMs of radiation. Roughly fifteen minutes later, an emergency distress call went out. This call repeated itself for three hours, until it was unexpectedly terminated. Shortly after, all contact with Merras has been lost. Automatic diagnostics indicate that the atmosphere inside is breathable, and has sustained no loss of pressure. However, other key components, most specifically the docking electronics, have sustained critical damage.

Our techs have managed to piece the transmissions together, and have determined there to have been a hostile takeover on the station. Echo Company is currently the closest operational T.S.A. unit to Merras. Your deployment will commence at 18:00 hours today. Operational area once aboard the station is as follows:

Echo - Echo will be operating on the Maintenance Deck (Deck Zero) through Deck Two.

Echo - Sierra will be operating on Decks Three through Five.

You objectives are to dock with the station, then assess and neutralize the situation. If you locate survivors or hostages, you are to evacuate them to safety. Your company will be aboard the Mark IV Horizon-class superdropships Citaker and Xerdan Your potentiality stream will bring you as far as possible: to the outskirts of the Omicron-Tau - Forty-Two system, where you will travel at sub-light speeds for seventy-three days, until reaching the station.

The Nanogrid auto-diagnostics indicate that it is operating at roughly 60% capacity. The system computer indicates with 92.233% accuracy that the Nanogrid will have the station prepared for your arrival within fifty days.

We've taken liberties to keep you up to date on the situation as needed. Attached to this file is a software package we require all units to install to their Active Combat, Command, and Communication System. During your time spent in transit, you will receive periodic updates concerning the station's systems, updated intelligence, and the situation of the Nanogrid.

Good luck marine, and Godspeed.
[/size]

Attachment: Operation Lightbringer - Dynamic Operative Update System:

CLASSIFIED[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']

Failure to comply with T.S.A. doctrine subsection 12 re: Disclosure and Disposal of Classified Documents, will be subject to review by a military tribunal.
[/font][/span]

Welcome to the UNS Merras![/font]

Welcome to Border Station U.N.S. Merras, one of five similar stations and the farthest habitable area humankind has ever established! As part of the Merras, you will see sights that almost no one has ever seen before! You will participate in exciting operations as you yourself help shape history!

Commissioned fifteen years ago, the Merras currently maintains a relatively stationary position almost 200 light-years (Over 1,892,105,600,000,000 kilometers!) outside of the edges of the Teluras supernova. See these magnificent phenomena up close, and by helping us study it, you're helping all of mankind!

Merras is proud to feature an up-to-date Mark IVX Nanogrid. The Nanogrid features over six thousand improvements over the Mark XIII Nanogrid, including the ability to run even after all other systems have failed. The smart centralized supercomputer gives Merras a technical edge over even older dedicated scientific vessels.

Merras consists of 20 decks. Deck Zero, or the Maintenance Deck, is off-limits to all non-authorized personnel, at all times. There are five decks above Deck Zero that are open to everyone. Below Deck Zero, there are fifteen levels of Subdecks. The Subdecks house all our equipment, our scientific staff and monitors, the engine housings, and the primary Nanotech Supercomputer.

[size=9]This is an information pamphlet that was distributed by the corporation solely in charge of the operation of that station. Really, Merras sits in the middle of nowhere. There is absolutely nothing around for hundreds of light-years, besides the supernova. And I mean nothing. We're lucky to get the potentiality stream out as far as we can. Unless you can tap into the station's communication boost system, your signals will be too weak to reach the next nearest station. There is no room for error. If you fail, there will be no one to come to your aid. Success is the only option.[/size]
UNS Merras - Technical Specification Document[/color][/size][/font]
    [size=9]
    Operational Launch Area - 97% Operational
    Master Nanite Control System - Station Layout, Blueprints, Subsystem Documentation - 10% Operational
    - Unknown - Node Offline
    - Unknown - Node Offline
    - Unknown - Node Offline
    - Unknown - Node Offline
    - Unknown - Node Offline
    - Unknown - Node Offline
    - Unknown - Node Offline
    - Unknown - Node Offline[/size]

[/li][/list]
    « Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 12:37:17 PM by Uranium - 235 »

February 18, 2004, 08:57:52 AM
    Reply #1

LzX

• Skulk

• View Profile
    That looks really nice!!! <3
    The Original Ghetto Warrior
    "okay, so we'll start with the fundamentals... playing a flaming guitar with your teeth..."

Thanks Vanmoch! I love fluffeh kittehs

February 18, 2004, 09:21:02 AM
    Reply #2

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
    • HA Marine

• View Profile
      • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
    Might want to use a different font for the "Join ~this team~..."  things, the current one is a bit crowded and blocky, kinda hard to read.

February 18, 2004, 12:04:00 PM
    Reply #3

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
    Yep, I know, I'm looking for a new one for the kharra. But I'm happy with the marines one, so it won't change (and it took a lot of work). I just need to scale the marine one up a bit, it'll get bigger. ;)

I have to go right now, but if someone wants to help, find me a font that looks like this (This is the one I used... it looks sexcellent in photoshop, but when I put it into half-life, the rendermode craps it up :()

Lots of fonts here:

http://www.highfonts.com/freealpha.asp?bok=L&p=2&f=0
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 03:57:51 AM by Uranium - 235 »

February 18, 2004, 01:00:06 PM
    Reply #4

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
      • http://
    Minor, stupid note, but it's kharaa, not kharra.  :)

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
    there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

February 18, 2004, 01:07:51 PM
    Reply #5

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
    • HA Marine

• View Profile
    looking really great the uranium  B)
    er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
    [/b]

February 18, 2004, 01:26:43 PM
    Reply #6

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
    Minor, stupid note, but it's kharaa, not kharra.  :)
    Doesn't really matter now, cuz it's going away anyway ;)

FIND ME A GOOD FONT!

February 18, 2004, 04:24:16 PM
    Reply #7

Path

• Legacy Reserved
    • Skulk

• View Profile
    Uranium, using the random searches, I picked out the two that most closely resembled the Legion font. Suprisingly, these were the only two that even looked remotely close. And by the way, nice map, I really like it.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 03:58:00 AM by Uranium - 235 »
    </Path>

Commanding is like playing StarCraft, only the units curse at you when you lose.
    Anything is a weapon if you swing it right.

February 19, 2004, 04:23:26 AM
    Reply #8

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
    Got almost nothing accomplished today :( Major performace issues at hand.
    « Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 06:43:27 PM by Uranium - 235 »

February 19, 2004, 06:58:47 AM
    Reply #9

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I lurve it.

I acually tried to open hammer again yesterday, but as usual I got pissed off trying to get it to work with steam. Wouldn't even compile and run a simple test map without some stupid problems opening steam up. So, as usual, I closed it all and went to play NS instead.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
    there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

February 19, 2004, 09:09:11 AM
    Reply #10

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
    • Fade

• View Profile
    still on the readyroom? is mapping really this tedious, or are you just an attention-to-detail whore?
    Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
    Go, Johnny, go, go, go
    Go, Johnny, go, go, go
    Go, Johnny, go, go, go
    aah - Johnny B. GONE
    sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
    Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
    Waffles aer teh lews.

February 19, 2004, 09:50:05 AM
    Reply #11

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
    • Fade

• View Profile
    Depends on the mapper.

February 19, 2004, 12:11:36 PM
    Reply #12

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
    The HL Engine is absolutely atrocious, and it's really easy for things to go pear-shaped for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I'm having a major problem with that right now, and spent all of yesterday fixing stupid bugs and trying to make it be nice. Plus, I'm a detail whore (I want it looking 'Just so'). If I was less of a perfectionist, I'd be like 1/4 done already ;) Plus, I had to take time making custom textures, etc.

February 20, 2004, 03:09:59 PM
    Reply #13

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
    • HA Marine

• View Profile
    it is looking good and it doesn't matter how long you take on it imho
    er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
    [/b]

February 22, 2004, 02:29:44 AM
    Reply #14

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
    New screens coming soon! :D The old screens will go down. I'm going to reorganize my little cubbyhole on Zazi's spacehosting, and I'm too lazy to go back and fix everything. :p Don't worry, the new ones are infinately better, in ever way, then the olds.

Uranium, using the random searches, I picked out the two that most closely resembled the Legion font. Suprisingly, these were the only two that even looked remotely close. And by the way, nice map, I really like it.

Thanks, but I found out I don't need them :) I just toned down the degree of 'digitalness' the engine put on them, now they're much crisper and clear (you can actually see the scan lines on them now... yes, there's supposed to be lines across the letters in those screens :D)

Okay, screens won't be changed until tomorrow. The reason is, I've just done something makes me very very happy... and it wasn't masturbation... no, I managed to fix my glitchy terrible error, my r_speeds are down, and the readyroom got a MASSIVE face-lift :) Almost all the textures are different, and it's like... readyroom v2.0 (just without the suck)
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 03:53:54 AM by Uranium - 235 »

February 22, 2004, 03:13:17 AM
    Reply #15

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
    • HA Marine

• View Profile
      • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
    Would help if you posted a new screenshot.

February 22, 2004, 03:24:35 AM
    Reply #16

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
    Would help if you posted a new screenshot.
    Tomorrow fat purple one...

*checks watch* or later today...
    « Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 03:24:47 AM by Uranium - 235 »

February 22, 2004, 08:25:09 PM
    Reply #17

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile

Here, I'm showcasing the main hallway that connects all the readyroom segments together. This is roughly half the readyroom. The other half will feature the 'Spectate' area, and the rooms where you spawn in.

'Random Team' area.

'Join Aliens' area, from a different angle this time. Notice the retextured walls, massively reduced w_polys, and slightly tweaked lighting. Also, Kharaa is now spelled correctly.

Second shot, showing off my Skulk Musculoskelatal system poster :)

Outside the 'Join Marines' area, showcasing my recruiting poster. Notice how I've increased readability of the scrolling sign.

Finally, a new angle on the 'Join Marines' interior. Very little has changed in here, except for the new scrolling propoganda to bring focus to the center of the room. Also, I'm using custom LMG models, so they're sorta screwed up. Don't worry, they look fine with stock NS models.

Note that the steam particles will not be there in the future. I made that particle system and liked it, so I'm saving it for later use.
    « Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 03:53:45 AM by Uranium - 235 »

February 22, 2004, 08:48:06 PM
    Reply #18

Path

• Legacy Reserved
    • Skulk

• View Profile
    That is one fine readyroom! If the rest of the map recieves even a fraction of the dedication this readyroom did, not only will it take all year, it will be a truely awesome level.  :lol:
    </Path>

Commanding is like playing StarCraft, only the units curse at you when you lose.
    Anything is a weapon if you swing it right.

February 22, 2004, 08:53:51 PM
    Reply #19

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
    • Commander

• View Profile
    There, new picture up there ^ ^   ^_^
    « Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 09:37:48 PM by Uranium - 235 »