Author Topic: Could Unknown Worlds be any more unprofessional?  (Read 10699 times)

September 26, 2005, 12:37:21 PM
Read 10699 times

Reasa

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
It’s been weeks since the last update and I’m beginning to wonder if they are even going to bother to put the site back up.

If they want to move into the retail sector anytime soon they really need to get on the ball.

Anyone here know whats going on?

September 26, 2005, 12:49:23 PM
Reply #1

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
Weeks?  Unless you're looking somewhere else it's approaching 2 months!

September 26, 2005, 02:42:02 PM
Reply #2

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

September 26, 2005, 05:02:49 PM
Reply #3

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
Hmm...
[snapback]53731[/snapback]
this is why you plug security holes with a band-aid and not a dremel tool
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 05:03:09 PM by Black Mage »

September 26, 2005, 05:44:57 PM
Reply #4

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Meh, it'll be back up eventually. You can still play NS without the site... and judging by that interview, they're still working on it, at whatever speed. So give it time... lots of time...
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

September 26, 2005, 06:14:20 PM
Reply #5

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
by the time they get it running no one will be around and no one will care. I've said it before and I will say it again they killed themselves and unless they go to HL2 they will continue to be dead.

September 26, 2005, 08:24:55 PM
Reply #6

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, if the next release is damn good people will come back. A lot of people I know still can't run hl2 and don't bother, everything on HL2 is either dumbed down or runs like pure ass. CS:S is the best example, all the real CS players stuck with CS, all the kiddies went to CS:S.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

September 26, 2005, 08:53:04 PM
Reply #7

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Well, if the next release is damn good people will come back. A lot of people I know still can't run hl2 and don't bother, everything on HL2 is either dumbed down or runs like pure ass. CS:S is the best example, all the real CS players stuck with CS, all the kiddies went to CS:S.
[snapback]53737[/snapback]
Software is moving faster than hardware; more demands are placed on a gamer's PC, and not many are able to fulfill them.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

September 27, 2005, 12:24:36 AM
Reply #8

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
[snapback]53737[/snapback]
Software is moving faster than hardware; more demands are placed on a gamer's PC, and not many are able to fulfill them.
[snapback]53739[/snapback]

either that or all the kiddies went "ohhhh shiney" and all the competative players went "ohhhhh better framerate"

September 27, 2005, 07:20:41 AM
Reply #9

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
When they set deadlines they don't meet them, and when they don't set deadlines they fail to keep within timeframes reasonably expected of ostensible professionals or even dedicated amateurs. 
[snapback]53738[/snapback]
Uhm, yeah, ok, getting people to work for FREE on an aging engine with irascible and caustic fans like yourself is no easy task.

And timeframes according to you, on a genre that's barely been touched, on an engine that keeps making them do hacks around it, with modders who have LIVES and need to find WORK.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

September 27, 2005, 12:24:17 PM
Reply #10

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Blundering away the popularity of NS, which had the potential to become a blockbuster on the same level as Counter-strike, took an unprecedented level of sustained incompetency on their part, but eventually they pulled it off--it just took them a long time to do it, as with everything else they've never done.
[snapback]53738[/snapback]

Fixed.  :D

Sorry, the whole it's a free mod by volunteers on their own time excuse is not working. If I were an investor, and looking at UWE, I'd take one look at NS development and secure my money in some safety deposit box in the world's strongest vault guarded by hyenas who are fed just enough to stay strong with automatic sentry turrets NOT developed by UWE that actually could hurth something and place a restraining order on Charlie "Flayra" Cleveland from even coming near my country.

Look at it this way. The hacking aside, the update schedule is non existent, the management/administration has never been professional, and the dedication has been sporadic. I'm not saying the developers that have assisted haven't cared, I'm saying the whole organizational structure, the PR machine, and Flayra's decisions of what to include in NS and priorities in updates has been total crap. 2.0 was so promising until it was released, then 3.0 and co_ only detered the game further from what made it amazing.

Yes, I'm anal about this. yes, I've said my peace about this game more than I care to, but it astounds me the stupidity that has been displayed and ataking a potential break away blockbuster of a game and creating a mounding pile of rhino pewp, all the while being heeded by many players in the NS universe trying to help the developers by giving feedback on the direction of the game, only to see those opinions ignored.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

September 27, 2005, 12:47:15 PM
Reply #11

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Sorry, the whole it's a free mod by volunteers on their own time excuse is not working. If I were an investor, and looking at UWE, I'd take one look at NS development and secure my money in some safety deposit box in the world's strongest vault guarded by hyenas who are fed just enough to stay strong with automatic sentry turrets NOT developed by UWE that actually could hurth something and place a restraining order on Charlie "Flayra" Cleveland from even coming near my country.

Look at it this way. The hacking aside, the update schedule is non existent, the management/administration has never been professional, and the dedication has been sporadic. I'm not saying the developers that have assisted haven't cared, I'm saying the whole organizational structure, the PR machine, and Flayra's decisions of what to include in NS and priorities in updates has been total crap. 2.0 was so promising until it was released, then 3.0 and co_ only detered the game further from what made it amazing.

Yes, I'm anal about this. yes, I've said my peace about this game more than I care to, but it astounds me the stupidity that has been displayed and ataking a potential break away blockbuster of a game and creating a mounding pile of rhino pewp, all the while being heeded by many players in the NS universe trying to help the developers by giving feedback on the direction of the game, only to see those opinions ignored.
[snapback]53752[/snapback]

Well said

September 27, 2005, 04:50:00 PM
Reply #12

Reasa

• Skulk

• View Profile
If I knew the forums we're going to be down this long (read: indefinitely) I would have called Marik a douche bag for suspending me and probably made some not so vague reference to his small penis and him over compensating for it by pretending to be offended by my mildly off beat comments.

Seriously though I couldn’t agree more with the above comments. The NS team created such a mind blowingly awesome game with such an outdated engine and you have to respect them for that. Unfortunately they have the business sense of a drunken coke addict. I mean are we not supposed to get pissed off when they miss (or ignore) self-imposed deadlines by weeks sometimes even months.

I loved the NS community and I would still if it still had one, but this game has sunk faster then the Lusitania.

September 27, 2005, 08:36:59 PM
Reply #13

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If I knew the forums we're going to be down this long (read: indefinitely) I would have called Marik a douche bag for suspending me and probably made some not so vague reference to his small penis and him over compensating for it by pretending to be offended by my mildly off beat comments.
[snapback]53756[/snapback]
Hey! Marik is good people.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 08:37:10 PM by StUpId_Fo0L »

I reveal penis I know psychology.

September 27, 2005, 11:13:58 PM
Reply #14

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Well said Rad.

NS peaked for me in 1.04 with NG's "mods" and then the very unmodded 2.01 Lunixmonster and then started to go downhill after beta build C of 3.0.

I will say the build of combat in build C was SO AWESOME. Then all the vets complained and 45 builds later we had...3.0. This combined with quite a few other things (the site outage of 2004 anyone?) led to me pretty much hanging up my NS hat.

Then hanging up my HL1 hat for good.

HL2 dissapointed me, on a decent machine the load times are horrible.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 11:22:02 PM by Lightning Blue »
To the stars!

insert witty line here

September 28, 2005, 09:00:02 AM
Reply #15

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
NS was the first game I ever played online outside of UT on LAN at school with the "homies" and I still enjoy NS, even thought the population has skyrocketed with n00bs and CSplayers. Flayra is still trying to make a living of making video games, his first project is/was 3/4 most popular HL mod.

For his first stab at making a game NS has by far exceeded expectations, especially with the engine it's on.

As far as I see it, the illuminati campaing to kill NS is in full swing, they've been sekretly delaying releases, and they hacked the site when people who had just came to the mod or had been around for a while were starting to get fed up, thus furthering the loathing for NS.

1.05 FTW eh LB?
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

September 28, 2005, 10:33:20 AM
Reply #16

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I know I've asked this before, but indulge me: What was the awesome about Combat build C?

September 28, 2005, 12:07:47 PM
Reply #17

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
This sums up my feelings pretty clearly about the whole situation on the readroom forums (a few days before the interview was released)

(TychoCelchuuu @ Sep 19 2005, 08:26 PM)
I know the reason, and trust me, it's perfectly benign and appropriate. Don't worry about it; when The Readyroom comes back you'll know too.

That's all the community ever hears is "something very exciting is coming!" or "we can't tell you what it is yet, but trust us it will be worth it". Just keep dangling the carrot then dragging it on for months and months and angering fans to leave the game.

It's pretty unprofessional for UWE to keep missing these dates when they promise them, seeing as how they have 2-3 permanent employees. What kind of confidence would that give a potential investor giving a large amount of money for people who can't even keep a simple deadline? Or is this just part of the "blue ocean" business paradise that charlie speaks so fondly of?

I joined as a constie about a week before the announcement of constie testing. The Forums go down. I didn't have time to add my Steam ID before they did and now I'm missing out on glorious Constie testing.

Did you all forget that you were in the middle of a public (constie) beta test? I know the consties arn't essential to the testing (and more of a privledge) but at least try to communicate a little to the community to have a place to talk about it. Maybe you could have created a thread here saying "constie 3.1 suggestions" or something small like that. Either give us a way to give suggestions\improvments or cancel the test entirely. Just don't leave us in the dark for nearing two months. And although you were nicer about it crispy you have the same complaint. So i'm not the only one who thinks the constie tests matter.

Now lets look at how the original vision\game for NS has changed almost COMPLETELY. What ever happened to the story of the game, the dark corridors, the much slower and appropriate gameplay? Whatever happened to listening to the "newbies" of the game, rather than the elite of the game that want it to turn it into their own CS mod. Make this hallway wider, these ridges slow my walking down so we need to make them flat and smooth etc etc... It seems like now whenever you try to play a game with skilled people its nothing but a clan match. What's the point of playing a game where a whole group of amazingly skilled marines just sit in the hive spawn camping until they can get the guns to finish it.

How is it that instead of fostering gameplay that rewards players for new strategies, you keep changing numbers here and there trying to find a true balance that will never be accomplished when it really comes down to which team has the better skill stack. That is a whole 'nother issue, one of the main reasons i havn't been playing ns... but maybe that is partly the community as a whole to blame.

This game should not be entirely based on skill and individual accomplishments, it should be based on one whole team against another whole team. The individual should not be able to keep an entire alien team at bay. I could go on forever but it really doesn't matter because the clanners say its all good.

Sometimes it seems flayra should have stuck with what he had going in the early versions and just fix the bugs and work from there. This game is nothing novel anymore, its become CS in space with buildings, and all the ***hole players that come with it. But don't worry, i'm sure that mirage called nexus will be appearing any time now and solve all of the games problems...

Stop complaining. You don't have a right to play NS.

Isn't it just typical this is the response you get when you have some well thought out issues and complaints?  Sometimes i wish UWE would take at least a few hints from valve and make things more accessible and centered around new people rather than listening to vets the whole time.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 12:36:59 PM by aeroripper »

September 28, 2005, 12:39:34 PM
Reply #18

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Hell, if they had wanted to contiune the constie playtest, they could have set up private forums, protected by A) Apaches built in security, B) only user accounts for consties.  A) denies you access unless you have a valid user name/pass, and is not something that is easy (possibly impossible) to comprimise.

It's annoying, and its killed the mod.  That whole story about a corrupt database? Who doesn't backup the database on a major site before attempting to do a major upgrade.  I'm sure the documents telling how to convert from 1.x to 2.x tell you to back up multiple times.

Even if the database was corrupt, get the forums back up.. even if they are empty.   If you have empty forums and you still have people, they will fill back up.  Forums with lots of posts and no people are pointless.

September 28, 2005, 05:09:28 PM
Reply #19

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
to their credit, they are selling out to valve

... and it shows