Author Topic: War of the Worlds  (Read 11627 times)

July 02, 2005, 04:44:30 PM
Reply #20

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The reason it wasn't in-depth was because it's a movie. If you want to know more of the reasons behind things, read the book. As you call tell, I finally saw it today.

I thought it was a pretty awesome movie. The special effects were very good (uncannily realistic sometimes). The aliens looked good. The acting was also good. Dakota Fanning (Rachel in the movie) acted very well for a little girl (as good as an adult even). I also liked the tense situations in it. They were handled quite well.

The best part was the beginning since it's a sensory overload with all the chaos and house being thrown everywhere.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

July 02, 2005, 10:28:02 PM
Reply #21

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
The freeway being demolished, sending houses and cars towards the fleeing family, was incredible. That whole portion of the movie was mind-numbing.

The biggest problem though is the giant plot hole. How could those ships never be discovered underground? It's impossible. I guess it did make for a nice change from the book.. and of course it allowed for that awesome scene where the first ship came up from the ground... drool...
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

July 02, 2005, 10:54:22 PM
Reply #22

Rath

• Legacy Admin
  • Skulk

• View Profile
The biggest problem though is the giant plot hole. How could those ships never be discovered underground? It's impossible. I guess it did make for a nice change from the book.. and of course it allowed for that awesome scene where the first ship came up from the ground... drool...
[snapback]51835[/snapback]

You dont know how far underground they were.  For all we know they were fairly close to the center of the earth.
I throw myself upon these OC's in the name of King Bill!!

July 03, 2005, 09:11:48 AM
Reply #23

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
[snapback]51835[/snapback]

You dont know how far underground they were.  For all we know they were fairly close to the center of the earth.
[snapback]51837[/snapback]

hes got a point, they DID come down through LIGHTNING and it did take some time for them to reach the surface and cause havok.

July 03, 2005, 10:39:40 AM
Reply #24

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
1.) why were they frying people with a death ray if they needed their blood

2.) why did they even have deathrays if they had an impenetrable shield

3.)emp thing isnt necessarily bs since it wasnt actually lightning

Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

July 03, 2005, 10:51:26 AM
Reply #25

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
the first thing i said when those machines elevated outta the ground was.....

STRYDER

July 03, 2005, 11:38:16 AM
Reply #26

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
They don't need a reason for causing havoc! As for how deep they were buried.. it was misleading because the cops said that compared to other parts of town "there's nothing down there." As if the only reason it hadn't been discovered was because there were no sewers/pipes/power lines/etc in that area.
Best thread ever

July 03, 2005, 11:51:16 AM
Reply #27

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I just watched it. I liked the movie overall, especially the beginning, and I didn't really find any parts of the movie to be slow-paced. I did find it ridiculous that the ex-wife's house and street were completely untouched. What the hell? It was also kind of cheesy when the alien slumped out of the chute and died. I almost laughed out loud when the soldier picked its arm up with the end of his gun.

Also, I would have liked to see more about how his son survived and got to Boston. I felt that it was a hole in the story that needed to be filled.

My favorite part would have to be the sheer horror of the tripods' first emergence, when they start blasting away. After that, I liked the part in the crazy guy's basement.

July 03, 2005, 11:51:41 AM
Reply #28

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
1.) why were they frying people with a death ray if they needed their blood

2.) why did they even have deathrays if they had an impenetrable shield

3.)emp thing isnt necessarily bs since it wasnt actually lightning
[snapback]51842[/snapback]
1) The aliens came to exterminate everyone on the planet. This included many things that we built (but not everything). At the beginning of the movie, it showed that by using the rays, people would herd together and run en masse. This would allow for easy extermination and picking up people. The aliens would not need the 6+ billion people on earth to make the blood farms. Killing several thousand people in a major city would make no difference. And then there's the fact that armies are shooting everything they have at them. It might not hurt them, but I think it would get very tiresome.

2) And then there's the fact that armies are shooting everything they have at them. It might not hurt them, but I think it would get very tiresome.

3) Don't know what you're saying for sure, but...the emp was to make it so people couldn't drive away or communicate easily with each other. After all, communication is one of the world's strongest weapons today. And then yeah it wasn't actual lightning.

July 03, 2005, 08:04:23 PM
Reply #29

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I did find it ridiculous that the ex-wife's house and street were completely untouched. What the hell?
[snapback]51845[/snapback]

I watched it last thursday, I got to say that it's a great movie. What I never understood was how his son made it to boston, after there was a big explosion where he went towards. Oh and Manta, I believe the tripods never reached Boston yet, it was at boston where they started to die. Yeah and they do look like stryders :D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 08:05:48 PM by IntensityRising »

July 03, 2005, 08:41:14 PM
Reply #30

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
The Aliens also waited so long for invasion because they need BLOOD. The human population was at its highest, its like what.. over 6 billion people in the world today or some bogus number like that?

Haven't read any further, but here's an interesting fact. There are more people alive today than people that have died over all of history. In other words, if every person in the world decided to pull a Hamlet, there wouldn't be enough skulls in the world for every one. Kinda freaky when you think of it...

Carry on.

I saw the movie, pretty good, nothing amazing. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise, but the thing that made the move for me were the human dynamics. It's true though, the part with the ferry. Masses of people are dangerous...

If a building is on fire, and you go to the inhabitants one by one, they'll walk out calmly. Tell a whole crowd at once, and they'll stamped and try to kill each other to escape.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

July 04, 2005, 10:19:41 AM
Reply #31

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Not only did they look like stryders, but that building at the end looked like it was from City 17. And then they shot rockets at the tripod.. It was uncanny how much that part felt like HL2.
Best thread ever

July 05, 2005, 06:10:24 PM
Reply #32

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Haven't read any further, but here's an interesting fact. There are more people alive today than people that have died over all of history. In other words, if every person in the world decided to pull a Hamlet, there wouldn't be enough skulls in the world for every one. Kinda freaky when you think of it...

Where'd you hear that from?  All of history?  

http://desip.igc.org/populationmaps.html

Go to this site (best one i could find that was credible).  Figure 50 years for every generation to die out.  It makes for a very rough estimate, but from 1350AD and on i got over 9 billion people.  This is only in the last 650 years.  And although its already been disproven with these numbers, at what point to you draw the line of measuring our beginning?  If you go by the appearance of homo sapiens that would be around 130,000 years old that that have been found.

http://www.mnh.si.edu/anthro/humanorigins/ha/sap.htm

It's impossible for the current population to outnumber the WHOLE of human existance that's ever existed.  Where did all of us come from then, 6 billion people just doesn't come 1 billion people, because everybody didn't have 12 kids.  There were generations and generations before us.  I don't know quite how to put it into words but its mathmatically impossible.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 06:12:17 PM by aeroripper »

July 05, 2005, 11:00:40 PM
Reply #33

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hmm, looks like our world will go to **** in 45+ years according to that first link.

July 06, 2005, 12:28:50 AM
Reply #34

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
Spielberg should just stop making movies. I think he is off his rocker along with Lucas and Tom Cruz. In all his movies now-a-days it seems he only does things if it will make a cool shot, forget plot and common sense.

My friend and I busted out laughing when in boston the soldiers of the 10th mountain were walking all tactically and using hand signals next to a MASSIVE crowd of people.

The camera at the begining made we want to cry, he must have had it in an EMP proof case or something. You can find it on the sony website I think.

I agree with LC, this movie blew my balls.

July 06, 2005, 06:53:06 AM
Reply #35

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Hmm, looks like our world will go to **** in 45+ years according to that first link.
[snapback]51916[/snapback]
I think right now world leaders are hoping aliens will either kill a few billion of us, or give us a ton of food. Or both, like that episode of the Twilight Zone I saw on July 4th, with the Kanamits. I think we should invest more money in space programs to speed up the time until that meeting occurs. Then again, they do just seem to waste it by doing things like smashing into comets. :p Maybe next we can fly some monkeys into the sun.

As for the goofs in the movie, people with a lot of time on their hands have been discussing it endlessly on the IMDB.com forums. Here's an explanation I read:

A) EMP affects devices that are working.
B) A change of battery would enable the video camera (and, yes there was a 35 mm camera AND a video camera)
C) The EMP (or whatever!) fried the starter and the solenoid. Ray tells the mechanic to change the solenoid before replacing the starter before he knows there has been an invasion...when he comes back, he, therefore realizes that that van is the only one in the area that will work.
Yeah, I'm working right now, thus all the posting. :p
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 07:26:25 AM by Goldy »
Best thread ever

July 06, 2005, 11:25:19 AM
Reply #36

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
okay, so the EMP only kills working electronic devices.
So EVERYONE was driving their car at that moment. No one was just chilling at home. ZOMG its still a plot hole.

July 06, 2005, 12:03:38 PM
Reply #37

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I think if people cant suspend disbelief, they should be barred from cinemas.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

July 06, 2005, 12:06:36 PM
Reply #38

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
Spielberg should just stop making movies. I think he is off his rocker along with Lucas and Tom Cruz. In all his movies now-a-days it seems he only does things if it will make a cool shot, forget plot and common sense.

My friend and I busted out laughing when in boston the soldiers of the 10th mountain were walking all tactically and using hand signals next to a MASSIVE crowd of people.

The camera at the begining made we want to cry, he must have had it in an EMP proof case or something. You can find it on the sony website I think.

I agree with LC, this movie blew my balls.
[snapback]51917[/snapback]

i wouldnt say its really speilberg's fault... he didnt write the movie he just made it. And its H G Wells' plot that sucks.

as for the soldiers, it makes perfect sense... they were blending in with the massive swarm of people... the tripods would have flipped and gone into total omgomgomgkill it mode when they saw the soldiers that could pose a threat, especially if they knew the shields were down. the civilians werent a threat.

July 06, 2005, 12:24:14 PM
Reply #39

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
The tri-pods couldn't even walk straight. They looked drunk. Of course only Tom Cruise could see this, the soldiers who had been fighting these things for days didnt notice. They dont have that top notch scientologist training.

Oh, and I dont think HG Wells knew what an EMP was so that isnt his fault.

I do know how to suspend disbelief, I like Once Upon a Time in Mexico and The Big Hit and neither of those movies were the least bit believable. James Bond is unbelievable but those movies rock.