Author Topic: NS Addiction  (Read 12162 times)

May 08, 2005, 09:36:30 PM
Reply #20

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
I started playing a little over a year ago when a couple of my friends nagged me for about a month to start playing. At the time i didn't even have half life so i picked it up and the first thing i loved was actually complexity in a fps. I also just liked the pace and basic concept of the game, and the only reason i'm still playing it now is that i haven't been able to find anything better or even like ns.
[snapback]48172[/snapback]

same here. I've tried almost every other game but, i keep coming back.

Bryan
1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.

May 08, 2005, 11:19:15 PM
Reply #21

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
What side were you on in BFE Penguin? I played for the axis in both the first two, missed the third for either basic or iraq(cant remember which) and then they wanted money. that was sooo much fun.

May 09, 2005, 12:32:30 PM
Reply #22

CyberPitz

• Lerker

• View Profile
I started playing it cause I was a CS Junky *I know, CS players going to NS are fgts* but I started playing...I wasn't that bad, wasn't GREAT by all means.  Then CS Source came out, and I jumped back into that.  After CS lost all fun to me, I jumped BACK onto NS...and well, here I am.  It's an EXTREMELY fun game..that keeps me hooked.  Sometimes need a break for something different *Tribes Vengence, Quake 3, Total Annihilation: Spring, Etc) but NS is very much my time on the computer ;). And the communities are so fun..especially LM

May 09, 2005, 02:52:59 PM
Reply #23

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I started playing it cause I was a CS Junky *I know, CS players going to NS are fgts* but I started playing...I wasn't that bad, wasn't GREAT by all means.  Then CS Source came out, and I jumped back into that.  After CS lost all fun to me, I jumped BACK onto NS...and well, here I am.  It's an EXTREMELY fun game..that keeps me hooked.  Sometimes need a break for something different *Tribes Vengence, Quake 3, Total Annihilation: Spring, Etc) but NS is very much my time on the computer ;). And the communities are so fun..especially LM
[snapback]48200[/snapback]
Is TAspring really that hot yet?  I thought it was like an early early beta release without all those cool things like smart team AI and what not...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

May 09, 2005, 04:45:21 PM
Reply #24

Absinthe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I don’t think any one aspect in particular brought me to this game, but rather a combination of events. I’ve been playing this game on and off literally since its conception. My first real online game was Starcraft for 3 years (best RTS ever) so I’ve always been a fan of AvM, and then I caught onto HL and its various mods: DM/VampireSlayer/CS/NS. I was playing back when pings were 200+, acid rockets were available on Hive 1, and blink was more like teleport (maybe it was the lag?) :o. The game had too many issues at the time and pub play was much too disorganized on either side to enjoy the game, at least on the servers I played on so I was never dedicated to the game. I’m a CS player by trade (played for about 2 years competitively in cal-main season 9 or 10) so NS always took a back seat to my CS team’s practice schedule, but it was occasionally fun nonetheless. What I’ve found is that this game HAS gotten significantly better with every new release; I could really care less about what anyone from the “glory days” believes.

My clan is long retired, and the guys I scrim with regularly for the past few years got latched on to WoW. Since I’m not about to pay to sit at my computer for 10+hrs a day and go on raids to keep up with them, I decided to start playing this as my full-time game. There’s really nothing else out there that’s fun/free/exciting (well maybe if I still had a gf) and can work with skills I’ve already got. This game fits in nicely between University, my summer job and the gym and I don’t hive time for much else hence “the addiction”.

I also couldn’t agree more with Tycho about the playability. This game, well at least the concept in theory, is way ahead of its time. Also, coffee is not an addiction Guen, it’s part of a balanced diet. Coke, RedBull, etc. aren’t viable substitutes at 7am, so if you aren’t drinking it to stay awake, you’re probably sleeping way too much!

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

May 09, 2005, 06:07:05 PM
Reply #25

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I play NS because it's one of the few games with radically different, opposing teams in the game. Also, I like how your individual skill at killing things doesn't make or break the entire game, though it can come close depending on the player.

Also, I generally like the players.

May 09, 2005, 07:36:22 PM
Reply #26

Condizzle

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
What keeps me playing NS?

All of you! <3
[snapback]48149[/snapback]
I feel loved!

I play because it's just fun. I like the rts-fps mix. It's something I always wanted since I first played Command and Conquer.
"Jiggling Eggleston," replied the clams.

May 09, 2005, 07:36:27 PM
Reply #27

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
I don’t think any one aspect in particular brought me to this game, but rather a combination of events. I’ve been playing this game on and off literally since its conception. My first real online game was Starcraft for 3 years (best RTS ever) so I’ve always been a fan of AvM, and then I caught onto HL and its various mods: DM/VampireSlayer/CS/NS. I was playing back when pings were 200+, acid rockets were available on Hive 1, and blink was more like teleport (maybe it was the lag?) :o. The game had too many issues at the time and pub play was much too disorganized on either side to enjoy the game, at least on the servers I played on so I was never dedicated to the game. I’m a CS player by trade (played for about 2 years competitively in cal-main season 9 or 10) so NS always took a back seat to my CS team’s practice schedule, but it was occasionally fun nonetheless. What I’ve found is that this game HAS gotten significantly better with every new release; I could really care less about what anyone from the “glory days” believes.

My clan is long retired, and the guys I scrim with regularly for the past few years got latched on to WoW. Since I’m not about to pay to sit at my computer for 10+hrs a day and go on raids to keep up with them, I decided to start playing this as my full-time game. There’s really nothing else out there that’s fun/free/exciting (well maybe if I still had a gf) and can work with skills I’ve already got. This game fits in nicely between University, my summer job and the gym and I don’t hive time for much else hence “the addiction”.

I also couldn’t agree more with Tycho about the playability. This game, well at least the concept in theory, is way ahead of its time. Also, coffee is not an addiction Guen, it’s part of a balanced diet. Coke, RedBull, etc. aren’t viable substitutes at 7am, so if you aren’t drinking it to stay awake, you’re probably sleeping way too much!
[snapback]48220[/snapback]

just wanna let you know... theres is NOTHING FREE about a girlfriend

May 09, 2005, 11:12:48 PM
Reply #28

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
...CS and DoD are just too darned difficult for me because I never know who is a friend and who is an enemy because the uniforms look similar...

Crap I do that all the time.  My co-workers get mad at me when I do play CS with them because I always insist that I am on the same side, if I swap sides between rounds I always end up killing my team or following around the enemy considering them a 'friend'.  Now... NS, I've aliened a lot then gone rine and though nothing of alien footsteps until the first chomp on me, but thats a HUGE sign I've played too long or am too tired.

May 10, 2005, 12:48:46 AM
Reply #29

Asal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
It's a way for me to blow off stress, and often, it's the best way.  I have a hard time relieving stress, and always have.  But a good, well-played game of NS is always a good cure.

Also, SOMETIMES it's nice to talk to people.  And I always like to help someone learn the game.  That is a good way to improve my day.
Asal 'The Unforgiving'
Fedaykin, Warrior of the Desert Mouse

"I will live to be immortal...or die trying!"

May 10, 2005, 07:34:23 AM
Reply #30

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
It's a unique mod with a commander view :D

May 10, 2005, 09:07:13 AM
Reply #31

Dead_Meat

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
i just want to bite people

May 10, 2005, 09:14:17 AM
Reply #32

ebnar

• Skulk

• View Profile
habit, not interest.

May 10, 2005, 09:35:16 AM
Reply #33

Dead_Meat

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
habit, not interest.
[snapback]48258[/snapback]

biting people has been a habit of mine for sometime now i just dont get in near as much trouble if i do it in ns

May 10, 2005, 10:25:05 AM
Reply #34

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
the thing that first got me into NS, and thusly kept me hooked on it, would be 1.04 beta on the old KIR servers. My ping was always <25, and I had a great group of guys to play with, m0nk3ym4n, and Ayatollah before he join exi. We used to have epic battles with aya as com, me as gorge, and a horde of people who basically had no idea what NS was, and turning them into a winning team. Our average game length was two hours, and they were filled with non-stop action of aya being forced to siege out my WoLs. In those games, we didnt have any player issues, no one F4ed, no quitting in the middle, no whining because we had sat there for 2 hours and were damn proud of it, even if we lost.
then 2.0 came..... gorges were stripped of all the prestige they used to carry... the KIR server dissapeared, everything was changed, people started quitting more and whining...
3.0 hasnt changed much, people whine, quit, and the games can be decided by a few good players instead of a team.
That is why I dont play much NS any more, because its just nothing like it used to be.

May 10, 2005, 10:35:06 AM
Reply #35

Asal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
then 2.0 came..... gorges were stripped of all the prestige they used to carry... the KIR server dissapeared, everything was changed, people started quitting more and whining...

:(  I feel that, as badly as you do.  I was also a 1.04 gorge, and great were the rewards felt when you did well.  I still play like one, some of the time.  Though I have to be FAR more stingy with my res, now.

<nostalgia> Ahh, the days of gorges carried on thrones by onos.... </nostalgia>
Asal 'The Unforgiving'
Fedaykin, Warrior of the Desert Mouse

"I will live to be immortal...or die trying!"

May 10, 2005, 11:27:24 AM
Reply #36

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
If I play for any reason  at all, it has to be stress relief. There's nothing more calming then coming back from an aggrevating days works and blowing the **** out of anything that moves.

CS would have done the trick you say.....?
....i don't think so.

Aside from the merciless killing, the element of teamwork is what has me addicted to the game as well, i mean you get a nub on LM from time to time but other than that, i find that i rarely get aggrevated by my own team (cough, cs suckzors, cough).

Bottom line, NS rocks!!!!!! <3

May 10, 2005, 12:53:01 PM
Reply #37

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Gee yeah, it was great when one gorge was optimal. I loved joining a server and being unable to build anything at all because I'd get yelled at, kicked, or slain if I tried to. Those glory days when what is now the most noobie-friendly alien was off limits to anyone but the most experienced player.

Sure, and nobody whined.  :rolleyes:  The current version is better than all previous ones.. except to people blinded by the "glory days" when blink was TOTALLY bug-free and marines NEVER always used the same strat. :p
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 12:56:05 PM by Goldy »
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 10, 2005, 01:26:44 PM
Reply #38

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
Gee yeah, it was great when one gorge was optimal. I loved joining a server and being unable to build anything at all because I'd get yelled at, kicked, or slain if I tried to. Those glory days when what is now the most noobie-friendly alien was off limits to anyone but the most experienced player.

Sure, and nobody whined.  :rolleyes:  The current version is better than all previous ones.. except to people blinded by the "glory days" when blink was TOTALLY bug-free and marines NEVER always used the same strat. :p
[snapback]48272[/snapback]
its the same thing with a com, you dont put a newbie into the comchair, he gets his ass ejected. You didnt let a newbie gorge, cause he didnt know how to spend the res in the right way so that you wouldnt get screwed over, and chances are he was one of those "how I shot web?" newbies, who need guidance and to see how a REAL gorge plays before he can think about doing it.

and as for the same strat thing, its funny, cause aya was forced to come up with new strats after I killed about 5 JP/HMGs each game.....

May 10, 2005, 02:06:51 PM
Reply #39

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Actually, I was hooked when I saw a MOD expo with NS, PolyFighter, and one other mod. I liked NS and PF, but once I read into NS I was hooked. Back before "kharaa" was coined, or "lerk". It was "Bob", "fatty" and the like. Once the game was released, I had read the manual through and through, and I fell upon [CoFR]. I never played anywhere else. After 2.0, Flayra even took a week's worth of Consti money to keep our server up, b/c he lked it so much. Then, the CoFR clan lost interest, and the playerbase got a little smaller, so HD and I would random pub, and we found LM. He came on board first, and I visited, slotted in 2 weeks, and I was here. I still play today because this is the ONLY game I actively play, and although I'm really not happy about where it is now, I'm not giving up.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?