Author Topic: Serious issue affecting LM gaming qualitiy.  (Read 6456 times)

March 28, 2005, 04:53:36 PM
Read 6456 times

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Now, this is something that has bothered me for some time and I have finally gotten around to posting it.  But before I start, by no mean do I mean this to be a rant, because that would defeat the purpose of the post in the first place.  Rather, it is meant to be a start to what I hope will be a serious discussion:

Lame quitting, usually by rines, because the end game is longer, is severely affecting the quality of the LM.  Most often it happens before all chance of a win or a competative game is gone, rather only when the game is swung from the lame quitters favor.  Now, if it were just a public issue, that cannot be solved and just has to be lived with.  But it is not.  Rather, a number of regs, res slotters and even some admins, one in particular, do it ALL THE TIME.  In fact, they announce it:  "bbl, be back in a few", etc.  Not only is the game then ruined for the remaining players, but IMO, that is unfair use of RS privelage, especially when non-slotters often struggle to get in games.  Then the person with the RS rejoins, kicking someone who hasn't lame quit and played through perhaps a slightly unpleasent series.  

Well, I guess I have two points:  1.  If you are a reg/RS/admin, don't lame quit, it just ruins games and it has been getting more and more common.  2.  If you have a RS, then be a little considerate to those you don't and sit through that extra 5-6 minutes of losing.

Like I said, I don't mean this as a rant, rather I am just putting forth some issues which have been on my mind.  Looking forward to some feedback.

March 28, 2005, 04:57:40 PM
Reply #1

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
One perfect argument to this is that
1) People play for their personal fun, and
2) You can't force people to play a game.

Although, if that player comes back the next map, in 5 minutes, I'm sure that quitting the game before was quite pointless, and detractive to the game.

I can point out a few individuals whom I see quitting quite a lot, and it's not that good that those players always expect a perfect game. Sure, sometimes it'll be dragged out a bit, or sometimes your team won't be cooperating, but in my opinion, you've just got to deal with it, if the problem won't be so long-lasting. If you're going to quit, quit from the start is my say - don't do it mid-game or end-game.

Meh, I g2g now, maybe post something else later.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 28, 2005, 06:51:54 PM
Reply #2

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
Would you rather them quit? or sit bored in MS and knife everything?

March 28, 2005, 06:55:30 PM
Reply #3

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I don't know, maybe wait it out for a couple of minutes. If the aliens are taking too long, they can be asked to end it faster. If they don't, then an admin could be called, I don't know.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 28, 2005, 07:09:04 PM
Reply #4

pardzh

• Skulk

• View Profile
[snapback]44657[/snapback]

I confess that I'm guilty of that sometimes. :o

March 28, 2005, 08:20:16 PM
Reply #5

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
This is a two-sided issue. On one hand, marines quitting can kind of ruin the game for certain people; however, aliens that take forever to end the game (although marines constantly giving HMGs to the team doesn't help) can contribute to quitters.

March 28, 2005, 08:27:00 PM
Reply #6

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[snapback]44657[/snapback]
I'd love them to do that. I don't get to llama/kick/ban enough people.

But seriously, reserved slotters better not be doing this.

EDIT: Btw, I was referring to the knifing bit.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 10:55:54 AM by Malevolent »
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 28, 2005, 08:36:04 PM
Reply #7

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Pay attention, you will notice.  There are even admins, especially one, who do it all the time.  BTW, didn't even say something could be done, just sooo llama.  I like having good games and lame quitting at 5 min because you lost a pg isn't good for that.

March 28, 2005, 08:51:12 PM
Reply #8

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
It is kind of lame to quit just because something went wrong. I remember the On|e server having a ban for quitting on a loss or something.

March 28, 2005, 09:04:08 PM
Reply #9

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
It is kind of lame to quit just because something went wrong. I remember the On|e server having a ban for quitting on a loss or something.
[snapback]44671[/snapback]

I think that's going to far, banning for not playing a game?
Meh. Something lighter, like a plea NOT to quit.

March 28, 2005, 10:25:57 PM
Reply #10

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I hate it when I get slot-kicked every 5 minutes. It's ironic how it happens everytime I'm about to onos/fade/drop chambers/drop hive.

March 28, 2005, 10:33:18 PM
Reply #11

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I hate it when I get slot-kicked every 5 minutes. It's ironic how it happens everytime I'm about to onos/fade/drop chambers/drop hive.
[snapback]44679[/snapback]

Uhh maybe wrong thread? I don't know, this is totally unrelated :|

March 28, 2005, 11:44:34 PM
Reply #12

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
If I quit its either because I'm done playing for the time being (rarely until a game is finished will I do this), I'm fed up with llamas, or I have to get off the comp and do something for my mom.  Sometimes if it is the latter I will announce that I will be back in a few, I mean no point in holding a slot hostage until my 90second AFK kick if I am only leaving for 10 minutes, but I am not meaning to imply that I am just leaving until the marine loss is finished.  If I am on the losing marine team and we are just HMG turtling, I will generally just drop all my guns and try to get some practice in with the knife, either that or I will attemt to form alliances with the aliens and offer to weld things open for them.  I don't particularly like prolonging the game so I generally don't go with the crowd on an HMG turtle, but I don't run off with marine res and I don't F4 or tempquit, that is just a lame thing to do.  

The only time I just outright quit is if the opposing team is intentionally and maliciously prolonging the game.  I'm not going to sit around and wait for the aliens to preform a successfull gorge rush while my team is turtling in MS with HMGs.  And IMHO if you are going to drop a 32 chamber WOL on either side of marine start, then you can enjoy having that WOL sit there without me on the server to get killed by it.

Ocationally a prolonged game can be fun, like if the aliens take pet marines or something any make them do things  >:D but 9 times out of 10 the prolonged games are just lame as hell.

To recap, quiting because you don't like losing = llama, prolonging game = llama.  If you do either you can stop it right away.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 28, 2005, 11:51:16 PM
Reply #13

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I agree completely swift, but the problem is quitting when it's mid-game on the losing team, usually marines.
Meh.

March 28, 2005, 11:54:24 PM
Reply #14

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I agree completely swift, but the problem is quitting when it's mid-game on the losing team, usually marines.
Meh.
[snapback]44683[/snapback]
Quiting because your team is losing is lame no matter what.  Quitting because your little  bro fell down the stairs again midgame while your team just happens to be losing is a little different...

March 28, 2005, 11:57:53 PM
Reply #15

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Meh.
Quiting because your team is losing is lame no matter what.  Quitting because your little  bro fell down the stairs again midgame while your team just happens to be losing is a little different...
[snapback]44684[/snapback]

Do you say "gg" and leave when that happens? :)
Because that's a sign of lamequitting.

PS I expect you to finish the game at hand before lending help to your little bro.

March 29, 2005, 12:01:12 AM
Reply #16

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Meh.
[snapback]44684[/snapback]

Do you say "gg" and leave when that happens? :)
Because that's a sign of lamequitting.

PS I expect you to finish the game at hand before lending help to your little bro.
[snapback]44685[/snapback]
No, I usually say "****, GTG, BE BACK IN A FEW"

March 29, 2005, 03:33:52 AM
Reply #17

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
[snapback]44671[/snapback]
thats absolutely right. if we were fast enough to catch you doing that crap, you got a temp ban. it may be harsh, but people get the picture. regulars and admins dont like being banned...at all. so when you've got people in the upper ranks who are lame quitting instead of playing it out, its a strong deterrant. i leave and come back very frequently, but i always do it after the round is over and everyones in the rr. otherwise, i fight to the bitter end, cause thats half the fun. i mean seriously, yesterday the rines were being endgame slaughtered as usual and i spawned in and knifed a fade. wouldnt have caught that kill if i quit. and besides, if you're losing, take solace in the fact that you get another chance in a very few minutes, so just go with it, you might end up having fun doing something like going parasite vs knife with a skulk :)
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

March 29, 2005, 05:32:52 AM
Reply #18

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
f10 has always been TLM's f4, and there is no logical way to force someone to play a game. Seems as if the circumstances are out of our immediate control...
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

March 29, 2005, 07:05:48 AM
Reply #19

Ubermaus

• Lerker

• View Profile
You can still have fun on a losing team though - seeing how long you can hold the aliens off, maybe, or being determined to take down a damned onos that's been harassing you. Sure, it's not as fun as romping to victory, but there's usually at least some humour over comms to take the dullness out of it.

Also, if you're finding the game less fun just hold on til it ends and a new one starts. It's less fun for the winning team too if everyone quits, since it kind of robs them of a glorious victory.