Poll

Will you come?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: LM Meet (Idea Phase)  (Read 10234 times)

March 15, 2005, 12:36:03 PM
Read 10234 times

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Alright. Just an idea right now, nothing permament. Here's the general rundown.

I've pretty much completely organized a mini LM Meet (Toronto, Ontario: AnimeNorth). This serves as a "test run" for a larger meet.

What I'd like to know, is how many would attend. Some general information.

Since our community is global, it'd be near impossible to include everyone. Since I'm an east-coaster, any real (none of those lil' test events) LM meet I organize will be meant for those on the east coast (though if people from the west coast REALLY feel like coming along, that would be awesome). This brings me to point number one. Location.

Location is not yet completely decided. Generally the place we need would have accomodations nearby/at the place. Room for general events. Crap like that. The current location I'm thinking about is Niagara Falls.

Of course, an LM meet would be dull, and for some people, it'd be a pain if it only lasted a day. So of course, duration of the meet is important. Personally, I'm thinking a weekend will do. As for a specific date, I'm thinking July 1st - July 4th. This way, our American LMers celebrate Independence Day, and the Canucks have their Canada day. Eveybody wins.

The other things we don't have completely covered is:
Events, what are we going to do? (I'm open to suggestions, we could do a LAN, or stuff, whatever)

Food/Accomodations/Prices: Food is easy to cover, someone brings a BBQ and we're set. Accodomodations are easy as well. Book a hotel room, or if we happen to get a big enough warehouse type place, bring a sleeping bag :D. However, the major concern would be prices. Renting a place large enough for LMers would cost a bit of money (assuming such a place can be found), unless someone has some property they'd like to donate for the meet.

So, before I go any further with planning. Here's the first poll.
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

March 15, 2005, 01:06:06 PM
Reply #1

Tooky

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Pay me & MrBill a bus/plane ticket and sure, why not?

March 15, 2005, 01:27:22 PM
Reply #2

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Niagara Falls? With a bunch of people whose idea of rocking fun is to jump into a pit??? ARE YOU MAD??
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 15, 2005, 01:35:03 PM
Reply #3

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Getting married July 2nd.  The date is a definite no-go.

Something more midwest-like would be better, to put the maximum amount of people in driving range.  I doubt it would be something anyone would want to fly to just for the sake of the meet.  Chicago maybe (7-8 hour drive for me).  We should start a LM map.  ;)

What I think would be ideal would be to have it at the same time and place as some kind of gaming convention.  You're going to want to find something where enough people have a common interest that they would want to take the time and money to travel to it anyway.  I personally would be much more willing to put the time and effort into it if I was also going to some sort of event.  This would make it easy to have some kind of LAN party while we're there.

What about that Penny Arcade gaming event in Seattle?
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

March 15, 2005, 01:53:26 PM
Reply #4

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
If only it twas in the New York area :(

March 15, 2005, 01:57:18 PM
Reply #5

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, I don't know if I can come or not. I usually have a ton of stuff I want to do/get done over the summer. Plus I will be getting ready for college, but we will see. And then there is also the fact that I don't have that much money myself.

I agree with Dan on the fact that the Midwest would be better since it's more centrally located and I live there. :D
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 15, 2005, 01:59:54 PM
Reply #6

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
We should start a LM map.  ;)
I've thought this several times but don't know how to go about it!

March 15, 2005, 02:56:43 PM
Reply #7

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
as for the date of this i can't go since i'm taking classes during the summer to quicken my graduation from college.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 10:36:25 AM by Dark »
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

March 15, 2005, 03:44:56 PM
Reply #8

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I WOULD vote "Will come if Location changed," but that's if the location changed to Europe, which it won't. "Can't come" for me.

March 15, 2005, 03:48:59 PM
Reply #9

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
The only way I would be able to come is if it was someware in CT... :/

March 15, 2005, 04:04:08 PM
Reply #10

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
I would offer to host it at my house in Sacramento (2 guest bedrooms FTW).... but the fact of the matter is that many of you scare me  o_O

As far as tourism goes I have San Fran, Tahoe, Reno, and Napa Valley all within 2 hours of me!

<3  :p

March 15, 2005, 04:12:47 PM
Reply #11

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
Depending on some changes in the near future, I may have a very large (read: 3500 square feet) apartment in lower manhattan all to myself to use as I see fit.

And tourism? Well duh, it's new york. I mean come on.

March 15, 2005, 04:41:55 PM
Reply #12

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Depending on some changes in the near future, I may have a very large (read: 3500 square feet) apartment in lower manhattan all to myself to use as I see fit.

And tourism? Well duh, it's new york. I mean come on.
[snapback]43485[/snapback]
Bouncing Buddha on a Bipedal Mammalian Ungulate drubo, I bet you walk around in a gold tophat all day!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 04:42:48 PM by Niteowl »
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 15, 2005, 05:00:08 PM
Reply #13

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
with all the southern US lmers, why not do one in Dallas or San Antonio for us?

March 15, 2005, 05:00:50 PM
Reply #14

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I say the location should not be on either coast (NO NEW YORK, CALIFORNIA, WASHINGTON, etc.)  I'm sure all of us on the east coast would just LOVE to drive over 3000 miles to meet with a bunch of other nerds(haha sarcasm), same for west coasters driving to the Atlantic.
signature

March 15, 2005, 05:01:51 PM
Reply #15

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I would offer to host it at my house in Sacramento (2 guest bedrooms FTW).... but the fact of the matter is that many of you scare me  o_O

As far as tourism goes I have San Fran, Tahoe, Reno, and Napa Valley all within 2 hours of me!

<3  :p
[snapback]43481[/snapback]

*Vorlon voice*

Good

*/Vorlon voice*
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 15, 2005, 05:02:57 PM
Reply #16

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Hell... I'd consider a trip to NYC - DB would be a (hopefully) free room... its somwhere I've always wanted to go anyways ^_^  And Jet Blue flies there relitively cheap.

March 15, 2005, 05:06:06 PM
Reply #17

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
maybe if it was a "sonic and esuna" meet then yeah, i'd go.

March 15, 2005, 05:23:11 PM
Reply #18

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Well, like I said, It's highly improbable to arrange a meet for everyone in US/Canada to congregate together (though I do imagine we could do it, if we arranged a LOT of fundraisers to subsidize the cost for everyone to something more managable). Which is why I'm just trying an east coast version first. Start small, build your way up.

Other current EAST COAST-ISH locations that I see being somewhat possible would be... NYC, since everyone wants to go there, apparently (finding a place will be hard, unless DB scores that place and wants to gain COOL++ points!)

In any case, I'm sure there'll be a west coast meet if the east coast one ever works out (or perhaps even if it doesn't, since there's a lot of LMers in Cali). So I'm sure a grand central LM meet (where almost everyone is expected to show up, save for the euros, unless we can find a way to get 'em over here cheaper :D) will happen sometime in the future.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 05:24:35 PM by Zero7 »
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

March 15, 2005, 05:46:40 PM
Reply #19

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Yeah, Quebec, for me and tooky would be the only relative place we could go without too much trouble. niagra would almost take a plain since its a 14 hour drive, I think about 10h for NYC

but if you do organize something, I guess we'll see what we can do, hell maybe we could get corvus's help somehow and find a way there

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win