Author Topic: Getting altair out of rotation?  (Read 7060 times)

February 15, 2005, 07:53:33 AM
Reply #20

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Im confused. Why does NS being in 'beta' have anything to do with what maps the server runs. I dont see the logic.

Maps which consistently empty the server should be removed, simple as that. Comabt was removed for similar reasons, no?

February 15, 2005, 08:24:09 AM
Reply #21

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Im confused. Why does NS being in 'beta' have anything to do with what maps the server runs. I dont see the logic.

Maps which consistently empty the server should be removed, simple as that. Comabt was removed for similar reasons, no?
[snapback]40643[/snapback]

Simply because beta maps aren't completely balanced yet, are probably to be changed in the next beta.

I saw several alien wins yesterday on ayumi, including one with sensory first. All you need is teamwork.
(oh and my skillz :p)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 15, 2005, 11:32:07 AM
Reply #22

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Confused  :D.

Someone should start Mineshaft's remake team. I like mineshaft but U turn is so hard to attack for fades and Onii, maybe a ramp  from Drill would help.

I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

February 16, 2005, 08:45:47 AM
Reply #23

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile

[snapback]40643[/snapback]

Simply because beta maps aren't completely balanced yet, are probably to be changed in the next beta.

[snapback]40645[/snapback]

Again, what does that have to do with what maps we choose? Surely we just want to play the maps that we like, maps that make for good games. We arent a PT server after all.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 08:46:44 AM by UKchaos »

February 16, 2005, 10:03:31 AM
Reply #24

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Seeing as the maker of altair is tweaking hte map now (it's quite different now, not that i'd know, was never a huge altair fan).

Could you all tell me what things about altair did you not like?
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 16, 2005, 10:10:26 AM
Reply #25

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Confused  :D.

Someone should start Mineshaft's remake team. I like mineshaft but U turn is so hard to attack for fades and Onii, maybe a ramp  from Drill would help.
[snapback]40650[/snapback]

Simple removing the ladders on both sides of U-Turn would fix the problem, in my opinion. And maybe add a vent right above the resource node.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 16, 2005, 11:00:38 AM
Reply #26

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Problems with altair:

Poorly spaced, therefore making the map seem overly large

Too many siege spots and choke points where aliens and larger life forms can be destoryed.

Nobody knows how to comm it.

If the map is not changed immediatly, half the server quits and really small games on really large maps not fun.  Once again a marine advantage.

It is difficult to get multiple hive up and protect them unless you go MC first, which limits the variability for the alien game.

Overall, games tend to be lame because nobody like the map and don't mind losing, as long as it is 15:01 into the game.

It sucks.

Boring.

Lame.

Too much res making it easy for rines to get early control and have large res pool.  Also, the map layout makes it difficult for aliens to respond to RTs under attack, especially if the marines are in groups.

And it's boring.

If anyone would like to add anything, I'm open to adding things which I have missed that are wrong with the map.  

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention the pit of death at an alien hive giving marine a HUGE advantage when attacking it.

February 17, 2005, 03:01:13 AM
Reply #27

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Problems with altair:

Poorly spaced, therefore making the map seem overly large

Too many siege spots and choke points where aliens and larger life forms can be destoryed.

Nobody knows how to comm it.

If the map is not changed immediatly, half the server quits and really small games on really large maps not fun.  Once again a marine advantage.

It is difficult to get multiple hive up and protect them unless you go MC first, which limits the variability for the alien game.

Overall, games tend to be lame because nobody like the map and don't mind losing, as long as it is 15:01 into the game.

It sucks.

Boring.

Lame.

Too much res making it easy for rines to get early control and have large res pool.  Also, the map layout makes it difficult for aliens to respond to RTs under attack, especially if the marines are in groups.

And it's boring.

If anyone would like to add anything, I'm open to adding things which I have missed that are wrong with the map. 

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention the pit of death at an alien hive giving marine a HUGE advantage when attacking it.
[snapback]40776[/snapback]
To top it all off it is just an ugly map.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

February 17, 2005, 08:27:32 AM
Reply #28

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I agree, it does look bad. It's almost like a "custom map"... reminds me of siege or something.

February 17, 2005, 09:49:14 AM
Reply #29

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
  Seeing as the maker of altair is tweaking hte map now (it's quite different now, not that i'd know, was never a huge altair fan).

Could you all tell me what things about altair did you not like?

Last time i gave KFDM constructive feedback, he said..

I believe you're making assumptions based off the older version that was released several months ago.

:rolleyes:

February 19, 2005, 06:19:34 PM
Reply #30

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
The only good thing I have seen come out of altair is the YMCA thing we did in the ready room once.

February 19, 2005, 06:22:38 PM
Reply #31

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I've seen similar happen IN GAME on hera, thus altair has nothing to do with YMCA goofiness

February 19, 2005, 06:40:57 PM
Reply #32

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I like to think our dislike towards altair and refusal to leave the server at the time worked together to contribute towards the YMCA formations.

February 19, 2005, 11:57:25 PM
Reply #33

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
It was great. At first we listened to YMCA in the RR for a few minutes, then decided to dance. We had about 5 marines posing, and 1 "directing". (he said he'd post screenshots on the forums...) I don't know how it looked, but it was quite funny :)

February 20, 2005, 10:00:05 AM
Reply #34

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
noes i love altair  :mellow:
-_^

February 20, 2005, 02:45:09 PM
Reply #35

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
I think the hoo-har that Altair caused has given a lot for both the Dev team and KFDM to think about.

KFDM has spent untold hours improving it. If you check the announcements forum you'll see that the pit of death is already out, and many other improvements/alterations. Even since then there have been radical altairations to the map, so I'm looking forward to KFDM redeeming himself. I personally posted constructive criticism to KFDM a few weeks after the first release and I'm fairly sure he's taken on what people who bothered to try and help him have written.

The Dev team, I hope, will be giving maps a bit more scrutinizing before letting them into the Official mapcycle.

In eager anticipation,

- Crispy
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

February 22, 2005, 04:05:51 AM
Reply #36

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
noes i love altair  :mellow:
[snapback]41152[/snapback]
After playing it a bit more, I have to admit it has its charm.  It is quite a bit more large and ominus then many of the other NS maps.  It is overly dark, but the largeness counters that fairly effectively.  Altair is one of the funner maps to tromp around in with HA mowing down skulks as they try to ambush off the cielings and flank you on both sides.

The map is rediculously marine biased and a smart comm with even a semidecent team can make a good few moves that just screw over the alien team like hell (PG beside an elec nozzle by the pit of death anyone?) but in a few conditions it can be fun to play...

I have yet to see an alien victory in recent recollection however...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL