Author Topic: Getting altair out of rotation?  (Read 7059 times)

February 13, 2005, 04:10:41 AM
Read 7059 times

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Was just wondering if altair could be removed from the rotation.  Everytime it comes up, it clears the server, even if there is an admin playing  :o .  I have yet to actually see anyone want to play it, so it just takes away from the game.  :(  What you guys think?

February 13, 2005, 04:16:25 AM
Reply #1

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
LB's already said no to this one.
God, I'm old.

February 13, 2005, 07:00:34 AM
Reply #2

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If there's an admin playing, most of them are willing to change the map. Me, I'll do it whether you like it or not. Nothing short of hard cash will make me play that map.

February 13, 2005, 12:40:04 PM
Reply #3

AzubahF

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.unclebigtime.com
while we're on this subject... I was wondering what you guys thought of the map cycle itself.  

as it is now, starting with Altair there is a pretty nasty section of the map cycle, going to Eclipse (which I think is like de_dust to CS, it's a popular map, not a good map, IMO), then Agora and Bast.  after that is all pretty good maps.  

could they be kept in the cycle, but separated a little more?  for instance, I don't like Mineshaft, but I'll usually stay and play that map anyway coz I know some good maps are up after that.

February 13, 2005, 01:14:45 PM
Reply #4

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Here is the mapcycle, in case you want to comment or something.
All from memory! (yes it's sad).

tanith
origin
nothing
hera
mineshaft
caged
lost
metal
ayumi
nancy
altair
eclipse
agora
bast
veil
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 13, 2005, 01:31:08 PM
Reply #5

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'd have Bast, Mineshaft, and that one with Cold Turn as far away from each other as possible.

Mostly because I hate this version of Bast, noone seems to like mineshaft other than me, and that cold turn one is getting repetitive (relocate/tfarm at cold turn, gg).
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

February 13, 2005, 02:17:51 PM
Reply #6

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
Was just wondering if altair could be removed from the rotation.  Everytime it comes up, it clears the server, even if there is an admin playing  :o .  I have yet to actually see anyone want to play it, so it just takes away from the game.  :(  What you guys think?
[snapback]40527[/snapback]

as plaguebearer mentioned lb won't remove a map from the rotation while ns is still in beta form; however, if there isn't an admin present at the time go into irc and highlight one of the ops by IRC NICK or by using the !squidsignal only.
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

February 14, 2005, 02:36:17 AM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Aye. Ayumi is a sad case, it's a great map, but cold turn completely ruins it. Cold turn is even worse than mineshaft's u-turn.
Otherwise, mineshaft is the same: Great map, but u-turn spoils it. If the mappers in question could "defuse" u-turn and cold turn, we would have two solid maps on our hands.

February 14, 2005, 07:22:11 AM
Reply #8

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Well, mineshaft is ditched next patch, and cold turn windows are breakable now, but it's still a strategic stronghold.

If I'm on, I timelimit .001 on altair immediately and qucily on bast unless ppl want to actually play it.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

February 14, 2005, 10:10:30 AM
Reply #9

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I've been thinking about cold turn, and I really don't see any way it could be modified to work realistically. I suppose it cuts off movement from between the two hives, but Eastern entrance does the same thing. Is it just the lack of vents that make it a stronghold?

February 14, 2005, 10:25:24 AM
Reply #10

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
mineshaft is ditched next patch

That sort of sucks. I liked mineshaft, barring u turn.

Anyhow, I think Cold Turn's main problem is that accursed ramp. Marines camping it will nail anything trying to get up it, and if there's turrets helping then you can forget trying to get the hive.

Your only option is to loop around from the south and MC rush, but thats only an option on FF servers and also assumes the comm hasn't put anything in the hive room.

Smashing the windows is all very nice but that just means you can fit more turrets around the RT, making any ramp approach impossible. An onos train will get killed piecemeal. Fades can't dent it. Xeno needs three hives.

I don't mind character but I'd call cold turn a pretty serious map flaw.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

February 14, 2005, 10:35:40 AM
Reply #11

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Well, breakable glass means OCs out there that would be tricky to take down from below the ramp without siege. Right now you can OC cold turn all you want but a GL will make short work from out of harm's way.

February 14, 2005, 10:37:35 AM
Reply #12

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I think LB's rule should be modifed to:

* The mapcycle will not be modified while NS is in beta, or until NS has been in beta for more than a year.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

February 14, 2005, 11:53:48 AM
Reply #13

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
hasnt it been well over a year now? D:

February 14, 2005, 12:19:37 PM
Reply #14

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Yup

[ January 24th, 2004 ] :: 3.0 beta 1 released!

February 14, 2005, 01:06:28 PM
Reply #15

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile

[snapback]40581[/snapback]

i think if memory serves me correctly that it's mapper refused to update it after b4 so they decided to remove it in b6
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

February 14, 2005, 02:47:21 PM
Reply #16

TOmekki

• Lerker

• View Profile

[snapback]40581[/snapback]

i think if memory serves me correctly that it's mapper refused to update it after b4 so they decided to remove it in b6
[snapback]40591[/snapback]

the mapper, Ekaj, is mia. thus no update.at least thats how i remember it was.

:o

February 15, 2005, 03:13:10 AM
Reply #17

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
I think LB's rule should be modifed to:

* The mapcycle will not be modified while NS is in beta, or until NS has been in beta for more than a year.
[snapback]40584[/snapback]

You do have a point.
To the stars!

insert witty line here

February 15, 2005, 07:03:48 AM
Reply #18

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I think he does. If beta goes on for that long, it's hardly beta anymore. Mineshaft is still at least playable, but ayumi is critically flawed. Can't remember a single alien win there in weeks.

The problem with u-turn is that it's easy to get into, but fairly hard to get out of. That turns it into a deathtrap for Fades and especially Onos. Skulks can get in there, but the marines can hide around the corner, then make short work of the skulks once they try to munch on the siege farm. One thing that would fix u-turn would be to simply move it a little, so that drill access can't be sieged from there. But then, drill access would lack any good siege points.
Another possibility would be to simply raise the floor of u-turn and remove the ladders.

Otherwise, the problem with cold turn and u-turn is the same: They make the middle hive very easy to siege. Basically, a marine in either of those places undisturbed for ten seconds (or however long it takes to get a PG up) spells almost certain doom for the aliens.

February 15, 2005, 07:29:14 AM
Reply #19

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
i saw an alien win on ayumi just the other day.

it is possible for the aliens to win but they have to work TOGETHER at all costs or risk losing it from the word go
[/b]