Author Topic: Stacking has to stop  (Read 6837 times)

January 21, 2005, 12:20:15 PM
Read 6837 times

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I thought I'd place this in Reserved slot forums, but honestly we have alot of "regulars" who don't have RS. So....

So I'm in a few games, and I can tell exactly who's going to win by the game start. So next game I ask to random... nothing. Now understand I am coming to you as a player, not admin. This has got to stop. It's getting worse than ever. But you know what's the worst, some people don't think it's possible for our LM regulars to act more sportsmanlike by creating a level playing field. and I'm starting to agree.

Quoted from IRC:

[14:11] <Vinnie-sleep> yea rad
[14:11] <Vinnie-sleep> this issue is ooooooooold
[14:11] <rad4Christ-NSwithJE> IT'll get better, then worse
[14:11] <Vinnie-sleep> and was scrapped with the res slot guidelines
[14:11] <rad4Christ-NSwithJE> Now it's worse than before.
[14:12] <rad4Christ-NSwithJE> Still, I'm not asking as an admin, but as a fellow playre.
[14:12] <rad4Christ-NSwithJE> I want FUN games, not easy wins for one team
[14:12] <Vinnie-sleep> and they wont listen to a fellow player rad :p
[14:12] <rad4Christ-NSwithJE> Well, if the community gets that bad...
[14:13] <Vinnie-sleep> dont get me wrong man
[14:13] <Vinnie-sleep> I WANT to see reg stacking stop
[14:14] <Vinnie-sleep> I totally support you
[14:14] <Vinnie-sleep> but
[14:14] <Vinnie-sleep> I also realize how IMPOSSIBLE it is
[14:14] <Vinnie-sleep> without restructuring the res slot people

SO, my petition to you. Start making the games more playable and fun. please.

//end of line.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 21, 2005, 12:22:07 PM
Reply #1

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
To be honest, we need the pain back.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

January 21, 2005, 12:24:43 PM
Reply #2

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
If you mean the bind of pain, no, I don't think that helps all that much. As I have said many times, joining random or the bop will not solve it, people must purposely anti-stack. Check the teams before joining and join the lesser skilled one. If everyone does this it will be much better, but who am I kidding, such things will never happen.

January 21, 2005, 12:31:21 PM
Reply #3

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
trust me, many people have looked at this issue, and tried to figure out a way, ANY way of doing it.
the best one that would always work comes down to: make our reg slotters not stack. Theres no viable way for admins to enforce it, so all we can do is say, "please, dont stack" and hope it all goes well.
then we end up right back where we started.

January 21, 2005, 12:58:32 PM
Reply #4

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
If I join in the middle of a game I join the team with the least kills.

January 21, 2005, 01:17:07 PM
Reply #5

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I join the team with the less known names generally. Or who tend to be 1 man down.

On the whole tho, I can't understand the compulsive need to stack, its not like any of the reg players really give a hoot - I mean, I come here to game with people I know (a bit), I don't come here to pwn or show off "skillz". I have AvP and BF1942 mods for that.

If people keep stacking, and I don't want to sound like a devil's advocate here, then why not hand out warnings, kicks, or just removing their slot?

One of the core slot rules is that having a slot means the community enjoy gaming with you and would like to ensure you game with them often. Now, if some people love the stackage then as a community we don't appreciate that, which means the person is beginning to invalidate the reason for their slot.

I think we're all big enough to cope with a kick for being a smacktard or ruining the spirit of the game.

As small sort of afterthought, I would have to say that its getting increasingly restrictive in terms of strategy - instead of "stop aliens expanding" or "snuff that marine rush" its becoming "Stop nsplayer from getting enough res to gorlerfaonos". Its just getting dull.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

January 21, 2005, 02:45:51 PM
Reply #6

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Whenever I join lm, I check teams, if teams are same number, I go through the trouble of actually asking, and if I get no answer or such, I got random.

Ill yell Im going random, in hhopes that others will follow in example, sometimes they do. So, being the awsome mic spammer I am, Im resorting to just yelling at people to go random. When your in the rr "RANDOM! go random!" and hope people follow.

and as for team strategies. I honestly ccant stand strategies wher comms go into win. Im not saying they have to lose BUT FOR THE LOVE OF COMM MAKE IT A CHALLENGE OR ATLEAST INTERESTING! no offence, but the ones I REALLY cant stand, are the really good comms, hd, rad, scooter, nooblet. (from aliens point of view) I mean its good and all that you can win and stuff, but hell I can win when I want. Show me the commandership you have over your MEN and win. THEN it'll be interesting. Tell them to relocate to landing pad, and if they dont instently give up, and you do a damn good job during the game, THATS what makes you a great comm. Anyone can yell at a marine to go to a waypoint, but when that waypoint is a relocate to xenoform research and your marines start going "damn, comm must have a crazy ass strat going, this is gonna be fun" THATS SOMETHING SPECIAL.

and yes, dont team stack

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

January 21, 2005, 03:02:24 PM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I feel that whatever I could have said has already been said, so I'll just put in a few quick comments:

I think that, at least for the next few weeks, I should make sure to join the MORE skilled team. That'll help balance more than if I join the less skilled one.

Holy_Devil should not play Combat. It isn't possible to balance that gametype with HD on one of the teams, not unless we get a few equally good players.

January 21, 2005, 03:27:01 PM
Reply #8

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I feel that whatever I could have said has already been said, so I'll just put in a few quick comments:

I think that, at least for the next few weeks, I should make sure to join the MORE skilled team. That'll help balance more than if I join the less skilled one.

Holy_Devil should not play Combat. It isn't possible to balance that gametype with HD on one of the teams, not unless we get a few equally good players.
[snapback]38997[/snapback]
heh, HD is pretty good :p

I take solice in the fact that even when I join the stacked team via random, I rarely help them.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 21, 2005, 07:26:07 PM
Reply #9

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I think HD should have a separate team for himself. Same with rad, give him maybe one bot to command. He'll probably still win!

Ok, back on topic. Unfortunately, this will be a hard problem to stop. You simply cannot judge a team just by looking at names (although a lot of the time you can). Often, you play a game, only looking back at the end and saying "wow, that sure was stacked".

Like MrBill said, don't play to win. Play to have fun. You may win all the games you're on, but if you're not having any fun during it, then what's the point? Games will seem like a chore to you.
Of course, by "fun" I don't mean disco mode and non-stop mic-spam and TKing :D I mean you should enjoy the game, and after the game, look back and say "That was a great game. We should have more of these."

As for my actions as to joining a team: in my opinion, Marines get the extra man. This is what I always do: if teams are 6vs6 or something, I will join Marines.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 21, 2005, 08:20:00 PM
Reply #10

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
As for my actions as to joining a team: in my opinion, Marines get the extra man. This is what I always do: if teams are 6vs6 or something, I will join Marines.
[snapback]39015[/snapback]
I've never followed that idea, it really makes no difference which team has the extra unless it is like 3v2 or something.

If marines get the extra, that is one more guy that must be outfitted with weapons/proto, but also arms upgrades become more effecient and effective.

If aliens get the extra, they all gain res a tad slower, but there is one more to be in the fight.

In both cases it could simply result in more RFK for the other team.

January 21, 2005, 08:25:25 PM
Reply #11

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
I tend to prefer the marines.

Which is good as most of the LM "Regs" can be found on the alien team :p

FIX THIS!

January 21, 2005, 09:24:21 PM
Reply #12

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
Like I said in IRC - I'm a sheep.  I go where the people I know are going.  I play games to have fun, and being on a team full of strangers who can't play for jack isn't fun.
God, I'm old.

January 21, 2005, 09:51:47 PM
Reply #13

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
hopefully reg nites will create a time of balanced teams soon :)
-_^

January 21, 2005, 11:08:49 PM
Reply #14

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I'm a sheep.  I go where the people I know are going.  I play games to have fun, and being on a team full of strangers who can't play for jack isn't fun.
[snapback]39024[/snapback]

January 22, 2005, 07:16:58 AM
Reply #15

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
This however, is exactly what leads to the stacking. This is why we need to split the regulars between the teams. That way you can play with people you know regardless of which team you join, and the games are more balanced, and thus more fun.
And this is also the hardest bit: Getting people to start doing this. We can only appeal to people, and try to make clear why this is necessary. So come one, come all, and let us debate 'till we are blue in the face. In the end, we will all be wiser.

January 22, 2005, 08:49:52 AM
Reply #16

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
why dont we use the buddy system?

Get another rs with you (one you preferably enjoy being with) and be on the same team, and make sure that same team isnt the same as another buddies, and from day to day, (or game) change buddy. Actually, that sounds like it would work.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

January 22, 2005, 09:28:25 AM
Reply #17

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
why dont we use the buddy system?

Get another rs with you (one you preferably enjoy being with) and be on the same team, and make sure that same team isnt the same as another buddies, and from day to day, (or game) change buddy. Actually, that sounds like it would work.
[snapback]39044[/snapback]

This would be too imposing, I think. Having to play with one player all the time (or at least for one day)? Just join a weak team if you're good, and a strong team if you're bad :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 22, 2005, 12:56:30 PM
Reply #18

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
If you are looking at a team, and would like to even it out with some reg you like to play with, i'll be happy to shuffle teams around. with admin_marine admin_alien.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 22, 2005, 01:56:39 PM
Reply #19

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
If you are looking at a team, and would like to even it out with some reg you like to play with, i'll be happy to shuffle teams around. with admin_marine admin_alien.
[snapback]39062[/snapback]
Oh Gawd I can hear the complaints already.  This wouldn't make ANYONE happy.  

In theory the buddy system is a great idea bill - but in practice it wold take too much effort to coordinate.  Plus it'd be like old-school playground games - there would always be the one kid that nobody would want to buddy up with, and feelings would get hurt  and I JUST DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO LIVE THROUGH THAT AGAIN :(

I agree - stacking should stop, but I would like to point out that admin-stacked teams and reg stacked teams does NOT ensure an easy win.  LM has a very small handful of great players - I'd say one or two MAYBE 3 (who play often enough that is) and unless they are on the 'stacked' team, it can barely be considered a skill stack.  Nevertheless regs on both teams = more fun for all.  SO DO IT!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 04:27:12 PM by GrayDuck »