Author Topic: Citadel Utopia  (Read 2791 times)

December 19, 2004, 10:30:39 AM
Read 2791 times

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
I would like to make clear that this thread is for the purpose of feedback on my Mod concept and not to advertise or recruit members for it's progress. If I get the go-ahead from the Forum Admins to do so then this would be a possibility, but for the moment I wish simply to see what you all think of the concept.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Citadel Utopia

Imprisoned within, your only escape is to try anything and everything.[/font]

You live in a world where your movement from zone to zone is restricted by a biochip housed somewhere in your brain. Implanted at birth by the law, to enforce the law, this controls where you can and cannot go, what you can and cannot do. Everything about your existence is controlled by others. With an inquisitive mind and the promise of freedom you can leave this place...
...you can leave this place
[/i]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Citadel Utopia - A freeform RPG set in the confines of social imprisonment.

Addendum:

Basically I want the look to be comic-strip orientated with cell-shading to set it apart from other HL and HL2 Mods. Now I know this is possible in HL (see the toon SvenCoop level pack) so I'm sure it would work in HL2. What I want to know before making it definite is how workable it is, and also thoughts on whether it would fit the game.

For me it would give it a real-time Max Payne style of play, with characters' speech set in real-time speech bubbles. However, I wouldn't want it to have a Simpsons look, it should still incorporate a reasonable amount of detail as far as textures, models, skins and mapping is concerned. It is for this reason that I want it to be thought of as a comic-strip style and not a cartoon style.

The pro's for this idea are as follows:

- It fits with text-based speech, dialogue and information messages. It would be an incredible feat (not to mention how it would affect the data size) to find the various voice actors and go through the hours of editing required to get every line sounding as it should, whereas you can edit the impression a written sentence gives in a matter of seconds.

- It will help create a unique environment for Citadel Utopia, increasing immersion and setting it apart from other HL2 Mods. Not only will it be that SP RPG Mod for HL2, it will also be that cell-shaded comic-strip RPG for HL2. In my personal experience of gaming there is not enough to be said for most games that set them apart from the others. I begun gaming in a golden era where there was so much variety out there, things were branching off in different directions and setting new standards in both originality and performance. My main goal for this project is to create something the player can replay again and again, with the secondary goal being that it provokes enough interest and popularity for a sequel.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 10:41:13 AM by Crispy »
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 20, 2004, 02:04:41 AM
Reply #1

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
It's all possible.  Not nessicarily easy but definatly possible.

It sounds like a decent idea, but then RPGs are plot based, so unless I get a plot I can't really do anything aside from say "it could work".  Plot holes need to accually be written down somewhere in order for them to be criticized.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 20, 2004, 04:53:10 AM
Reply #2

CForrester

• Skulk

• View Profile
I think you can write a shader to get the toon-y look. At least, the cel-shaded look. I'm not sure though, I haven't looked at the HL2 SDK.

December 20, 2004, 06:17:45 AM
Reply #3

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
Wow so after 46 views I get some replies!

Yes cell-shading is possible but you have to write your own shader or something... it's in the VERC Source Mod FAQs.

Yes there's very little information here, but I don't want to give to much away because I don't want my ideas being 'replicated' somewhere else. I'm only really giving more info to people who want to help. There are threads with more info on the help I need on the halflifesource.com and halflife2.net forums and there'll be one on NS.com as soon as it's up X(
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

January 23, 2005, 03:32:32 PM
Reply #4

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
Some more info for criticismo

I've only had time to type up the very start of the game, which will just leave you with more questions than answers. Sorry about that  :rolleyes:

============================================================

The POV is facing down, keeping pace with someone's legs that fill the
frame. All the while a subtle musical score is the only thing save the
echoing footsteps that fills this place, which observing the bottoms
of the doors that line the corridor you guess is an appartment block.
Through subliminal graduation the eerie footsteps become louder and
louder as they near their destination.

Finally they stop, shuffling to face their chosen door. The POV cuts
to show you the front of the door, head height. It opens and the music
climaxes, the screen filling with bright, white light.

The phrase: "Citadel Utopia" unearths itself from the white screen,
sharpening into focus, blurring, coming into focus again before
disappearing. The briefest of pauses later the text is there, clearly
legible and filling the width of the screen. The white fades to
black...

Fading into your (first person) view is a spartan room, small with a
viewscreen atop a desk and a recess of machinery, marked "SDU"
(Supplementary Dispensal Unit). Behind you are two windows, which upon
closer inspection turn out to be glorified light panels, complete with
blind fittings. Upon the wall, facing the foot of your bed, you see
the Citadel Utopia symbol (utankh) complete with a motto in a language
you are unable to decipher. Towards the corner of the room, the light
trim of the screen begins to pulse and it beeps, beseeching your
attention.

=====
Below: Some examples of the immersion I'll be hoping to incorporate into CU
=====

In your room you will find the clothing storage unit, its interior
complete with  one set of Citizen Alpha uniform. If you take it a new
one will slide into place from a recess in the wall. If you stay in
your bedclothes and attempt to leave you will see a message upon
pressing the button:

"Your attire is not suitable for outside use, Citizen. Please select a
uniform to change into from your storage unit."

In the corner of your room you will find a toilet and shower cubicle.
If you shower in your uniform and attempt to leave:

"You attire shows high humidity levels, Citizen. Utopian <H&S>
regulations state that this carries a <sickness> factor. Please select
a uniform to change into from your storage unit."

Your thoughts are most welcome, Citizens :p

Crispy
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

January 23, 2005, 04:23:53 PM
Reply #5

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
sweet, the Marvel look for the game should be quite intresting to see

January 23, 2005, 04:32:25 PM
Reply #6

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
This, for me, is going to be one of the hardest parts to work on. It really needs to look fairly high-definition and also fit the CU universe. Visualising it and making sure we make the right choice will be a difficult decision to make, and will ultimately change the face of the game as screenshots and WIP shots are released on the site, which will be http://citadelutopia.hlgaming.com
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

January 28, 2005, 09:49:21 AM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
You should possibly follow Flayra's mod advice. Make the SMALLEST possible unit of the mod and release it to the public, improve it, repeat.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 04, 2005, 03:43:21 PM
Reply #8

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
My plans are to release a Mod demo and then leave that out while the rest of the game is finalised. I'll try and release the demo so that you can play as many character-types as possible.
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.