Author Topic: What Is In A Name?  (Read 5951 times)

October 03, 2004, 04:36:20 PM
Read 5951 times

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
So, most everyone here always uses the same name.  Why did you choose it, is there any significance behind it?

GrayDuck for me started as a joke, but evolved into a name I truly love.  When I moved from Minnesota to California I was discussing the subtle differences between the two locations, and something that defines a true Minnesotan is the game Duck Duck GRAY Duck (as opposed to the rest of the world’s WRONG game of Duck Duck Goose)…. Stupid gooses  :angry: !  Anyways, hearing that made all of them laugh and they started calling me GrayDuck.  

So now, GrayDuck gives me a sense of ‘home’ as well as pride in some weird way.  Gaming was new to me when I moved here, but now I kind of feel like GrayDuck symbolizes that part of my life as well as home.  I dunno what else to say… it just makes me happy.

PS... sry if this has been done before, I searched and couldn't find anything similar.

October 03, 2004, 04:45:12 PM
Reply #1

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
You'll get nothing out of me!  :ph34r:

October 03, 2004, 04:51:23 PM
Reply #2

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
I got my name when I was 9.  I had just started playing on battle.net and realized that I needed a good name.  At the time I liked playing Terran a lot and because I was so young I thought nukes were the best thing in the game.  Being young I decided on the name Nuketheplace.  When I actually think about it its a strange and stupid name, but its the only one I've ever had, and I can't think of anything better.

October 03, 2004, 04:52:35 PM
Reply #3

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
MrBill from Snl, As when I started gaming, I was newb, and died all the time. I thought this name felt right, and the feeling hasnt left yet. :)

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

October 03, 2004, 05:34:38 PM
Reply #4

Bijiy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
You'll get nothing out of me!  :ph34r:
[snapback]30230[/snapback]

October 03, 2004, 05:38:25 PM
Reply #5

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
You'll get nothing out of me!  :ph34r:
[snapback]30230[/snapback]
[snapback]30234[/snapback]

October 03, 2004, 05:41:13 PM
Reply #6

Tooky

• Gorge

• View Profile
Well, I switch every so often, I first started NS as Ectomorph blah but that got old after 2-3 years then I switched to something that sounds funny when anybody says it. I would of went for tiki but I chose tooky :D.
My real life nick is Twitchy for more-so obvious reasons. Dubbed my MrBill, he could expand on this.

October 03, 2004, 05:52:15 PM
Reply #7

Magmatron

• Onos

• View Profile
Been using Ness since 95'. Comes from a Super Nintendo game titled "Earthbound".

TyrNem...blah blah blah

October 03, 2004, 06:04:42 PM
Reply #8

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I got my name from sniping in UT and being damn good at it
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

October 03, 2004, 06:36:14 PM
Reply #9

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
i got mine from the anarki bot in quake 3 and stuck on a 3x6 for ... no reason at all...

btw wasnt there a thread like this before ?
-_^

October 03, 2004, 07:08:00 PM
Reply #10

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Dubbilex is the world's greatest superhero.

The story began when I got this internet thing.  I went through many names (RAMMS+EIN or Melkor being the most memorable - what a creative l'il bugger I was.  And to think - I don't even like Rammstein...).   But yet, this was my "non-gamer" name.  That is, the one I used in public and stuff (i.e email, etc)

So one day I was all like, "wtf?  Rammstein?  Just call me Dubbilex from now on."  Now, this was perhaps a year or two before Natural Selection was released, so I've been Dubb for a while now.

I like the name for all the little funny things I can call myself.  Such as; dubbileXSZ, Dubbnubb, or the D-Meister.

I know, guys.  I know.  I'm the coolest cat you know.  B)

October 03, 2004, 07:13:09 PM
Reply #11

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Stupid gooses  :angry: !
[snapback]30228[/snapback]
Plural of goose is geese, GJ English. :p

Anywho, Satiagraha is a slight derivation from Satyagraha, which is an indian phrase used by Mahatma Gandhi. It litterally means "Soul Force", which is refering to the persistance of the sould and not the fist through non-violent resistance. I first learned of this phrase in some history class a long long time ago (something like 7th grade v_v ). Now I am not one of large physical size, but I have a way with getting people to stop things without violence. I tried on the phrase and it seemed to fit me fairly well. Except for the y. I really didn't like how the y looked when you typed out my name, so I changed it to an i and it's been like that for about 6 years.
And in those 6 years, I have heard it pronouced so wrongly that I didn't even recognize it. It's pronounced S-ah-tee-ah-grah-ha with the major emphases placed on the bolded sylibols.

P.S. Yes there has been a previous thread about this, although it has long since passed out of the Forum. I'd say it's about time we made another one ^_^

Edit: Found the old thread. All bow to the thread necromancy! >:D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 07:19:02 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

October 03, 2004, 07:41:49 PM
Reply #12

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, there was a thread for this awhile ago Anarki.

My name was supposed to be serious and stuff when I played stuff more competively (my friend says he thought of it, but I don't know about that). Ya know, strike fear into mein enemies! But not so much now. I keep it because I have it regsitered everywhere, it's somewhat unique and it's funny listening to people try to pronounce it.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

October 03, 2004, 07:47:58 PM
Reply #13

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
My name came because I got bored of my old nickname (Psychopath, then Froggo, and finally to Zero7)

How I came up with my name? I was thinking of a new name and neat letter/number combos for 'em. Came up with Zero7. It wasn't until 1 1/2 years later that I found out I shared my name with a British group.

Edit: This was a repost...  BAD GRAYDUCK! BAD!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 07:48:23 PM by Zero7 »
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

October 03, 2004, 08:59:17 PM
Reply #14

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
Edit: This was a repost...  BAD GRAYDUCK! BAD!

I sowwy.   :(

As mentioned in my initial post, I searched, albeit not well enough... *sigh*

October 03, 2004, 09:35:18 PM
Reply #15

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Slink.  fairly simple.  Lots of people see SlinkY.

THIS IS WRONG!  I AM NOT AN OVER-MARKETED SPRING MASQUERADING AS A CHILD'S TOY!!!

sorry, it's kind of an issue for me...

anyway.  when i first started online gaming, i used Inferno.  cuz i like fire, and such.  however, that was surprisingly common.  i like being individual.  so a few years ago, (wow, i think it's working on 2-3 now) i switched to Slink.

There is actually some meaning in this.  Slink is a verb in the english language, and it basically means to sneak around.  And when i'm playing, i'm usually sneaking around the back of my opponent, instead of rushing the front.  So i think it fits.
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

October 03, 2004, 10:08:03 PM
Reply #16

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
everyone loves a slinky a slinky a slinkyyyyyyyyy

/me d0nces around playing with a slinky >:D

well i guess this threads alright since many new people never told us about their names :)
-_^

October 04, 2004, 03:19:22 AM
Reply #17

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Well mine came from playing Castle wolfenstien. I was trying to think of a name that sounded like it fitted in war times and I think my comics influenced me slightly.

All I need now is some howling commandos  :D

And not people howling while going commando   :blink:

October 04, 2004, 06:44:21 AM
Reply #18

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
Some years ago, back when i had shorter hair, but still quite long, some kids thought i was Harry Potter(as seen on the danish bookcover). Now they did this at a distance, because i didn't hear or see them comment at all. but my friends told me. Later on when i was comtemplating on a nick together with my brother, a Dirty Harry movie was going to be shown that night.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

October 04, 2004, 10:20:44 AM
Reply #19

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I think I'll make up a new story each time one of these threads appears.

MY NAME SI DOOBIE DAN CUZ DOOBIE RHYMES WITH BOOBIE AND I LUV BOOBIES IRLWTFOMGFTW!!!!11111onehundredandeleven
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]