Author Topic: Dawn Of War  (Read 10292 times)

September 24, 2004, 09:44:27 AM
Reply #20

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Eh, we'd play with them unpainted all the time. When you're 14 and you just spent 30 dollars on a mini, you were damn well going to play with it. That 30 dollars may well represent your life savings. I actually found myself playing with a lot of half painted minis all the time. I'd get part way through one, and then get distracted by another one that looked even more super awesome.

Tyranids will hopefully be in the first expansion, they've always been pretty popular. I'd really love to see a FULL Chaos expansion. They just made a mish-mash of different Chaos bits and called it one army. I want my greater and lesser daemons of Slaanesh to meet my Eldar on the battlefield and have a hot steamy love fest of death. And come on, how can you go wrong with Nurgle? He's like the god of rest stop bathrooms that make you afraid to even breathe while you're inside them, and yet are the only bathroom for 300 miles. Plague and corruption for the win!

<rant>
And the Tau can get destroyed by a warp storm for all I care. Friendly, altruistic, advanced technology, working together, the little @#%$* don't belong in the WH40K universe at all. They just got put in to attract gibbering anime-mecha fanboys. (Not that anime or mecha are bad, but they fit WH40K like a house cat fits in the amazon jungle) At least the Necrons have a dark and tragic history. Even if the idea of metal skeletons seems sort of dumb.
</rant>

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

September 24, 2004, 10:35:28 AM
Reply #21

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
From playing the DoW beta, I wanna get into the tabletop version. Been looking in the window of the Games Workshop everyday in town but dont have the bottle to go in :p

September 24, 2004, 11:44:09 AM
Reply #22

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You lucky git, living in england and all. You can actually go to real original GW stores. Even though we do have some over here, they're nowhere near me. And I don't doubt the their stores over there are much nicer.

September 24, 2004, 03:26:18 PM
Reply #23

Sustained

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Lolfightar. I play every saturday. Most of my army of Space Wolves consists of paper patches and "stand-ins".

As for Dawn of War, I'm hoping that they bring in the various fanctions of the different armies.

Eldar armies have craftworlds, Space Marines have chapters, Chaos have their four gods, Orks have different mobs too.

And erh...They better bring in the Imperial Guard pretty fast. I mean, the orks can get IG tanks, but there are no IG there?!  :blink:

[size=8]Thanks to Grimm for the sig![/size]

September 24, 2004, 04:12:30 PM
Reply #24

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I've never felt the tau and necrons were really 'true' armies like the others.  The Tau are just the 'lizardmen' equivalent in 40k while necron are supposed to be the undead.
I'd prefer they brought in the crazy squats =3

I had most of my minitures painted and stuff and I got real good at it.  I don't know what 40k or GW is like these days but I'm long past bothering.  If you were gonna bother with tabletop stuff I'd probably go for the less expensive (you don't need anywhere near as many models to play) War Machine.  It's made by a breakaway group who left GW to make their own games and they feature a lot of the better artists; the world/story is pretty neat as is the actual game ^^

Meanwhile for Dawn of War, I'd be happy with eldar but I've always been a tyranid player at heart; speed and melee all the way!!! XD

September 24, 2004, 04:23:32 PM
Reply #25

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Tyranids will hopefully be in the first expansion, they've always been pretty popular

Utter lies. Tyranids have never been popular.

Anyhows, Necrons are quite good if you go the whole banana and call them Necrontyr. Tau are NOT "space lizardmen", because space lizardmen are in fact the Slann. Yes, the big frogs of doom.

If you like War Machine then you probably want to play Necromunda, Inquisitor, or 2nd ed 40k when it was meant to be about small squad warfare. 2nd ed went a bit odd when people started taking huge armies. 3rd ed, and now 4th rd, are designed for ARMY battles, hence the frontal lobotomy the rules received.

Nids are in the new boxed set, but then Dark Eldar were in the old set and are still as popular as leprosy, which is a shame as they were quite a nice idea.

I'm not touching DoW till I see all the other races in it. Up til then, I'll stick with painting models and playing Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels on my PS2.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

September 24, 2004, 05:36:12 PM
Reply #26

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
i want the civ with the warspikes and stuff  <_< tau i think ?
heh that reminds me of the official dow forums ... everyone wants more of the warhammer armies :)
-_^

September 24, 2004, 10:20:26 PM
Reply #27

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Sorry Necro... I've been playing GW since the original spacehulk so there's nothing in there you can't tell me about I've not played Except super new stuff like the Lord of the rings thingies or the new 40k.  I've even played the board games like horus heresy and space crusade XD

Dark Eldar is basically them trying to port over the Dark Elves after all the Eldar are the elfen folk of 40k =3

I don't see a Slaan army anywhere so I'm calling tau the lizardmen army and you can't stop me :p

...I miss Man o War and Battlefleet Gothic =(

September 25, 2004, 10:53:44 AM
Reply #28

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah the Slann all died out a loooooooooooong time ago. They can hardly be counted as a real race, they're just fluff. Unless you want to go with some old old 40k data that had them as an actual part of the universe. The latest canonical interpretation is that they taught the Eldar about the warp and such, and then died out, over ten thousand years ago. But, they were lizard or frog men.

And the Tau still suck.  :p

September 25, 2004, 01:50:07 PM
Reply #29

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Slann were frog men, they were covered in Rogue Trader along with the Jokaero, original Csith Genestealers, Zoats, etc.

So dig out your old copy of RT. Page 194, if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, dark eldar have been around for a looooooooong time, again covered in Rogue Trader. They were a bit part of GW fluff up until recently when they FINALLY got models and a codex, at which point all the new people just called them Space Dark Elves. Disappointing.

The latest canon strongly hints at them being related or connected to the Old Ones of both 40k and Fantasy. The Slann, while either dead or very hard to find in 40K are still present within the Fantasy universe.

Honestly folks, I worked for the company, so there's nothing I really don't know.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

September 25, 2004, 03:43:35 PM
Reply #30

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
When i used to play Magic back in the day at some card/board game place i remember seeing Warhammer being played on a really cool tabletop.

It reminded me of playing with action figures but without the:

"OMG WTH I SHOT YOU DAI!!11"

"NO WAY THATS CHEAP I HAVE LIEK 8534534 ARMOR MAN"

"FFS THATS NOT FAIR!!!! THEN MY GUYS HAVE HUGE ROCKETLAUNCHER NUKES AND DRANK SPECIAL ARMOR POTION!!!!!!!!11"

"GARRRR!!!!11"

*insert cat fight scene here with lots of smacking, biting, pinching, and scratching between the 2 guys*

because of the really specific and followed rules.

but i quit playing after i decided to stop being labeled "geek"  <_<

sigh...such a good place too...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 03:45:22 PM by Diablus »

September 25, 2004, 04:52:58 PM
Reply #31

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Remind me, has Warhammer always been part of the 40k universe as a world seperated from the rest of the universe by ferious warp storms or is that one of the more recent incarnations? =o

The Fantasy Lizardman are supposedly descendants of the Slaan and stuff but as far as things go Tau are the closest actually playable army at the moment so that's why I call them the lizardmen of 40k =3

Zoats were funny... I'm still kinda curious what happened to them and hellbores and mkII spacemarine armour (with the funny knight cone faceplate).
If I remember right weren't genestealers meant to originally be traced to some moon or other that I forget the name of before they finally became attached to the tyranids along with rippers (which used to be native animals on alien planets)?

I've not played Rogue Trader in so long I barely remember it =s
Don't remember the dark eldar though... ~blink~  maybe I just missed them or something.

September 25, 2004, 08:27:51 PM
Reply #32

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Actually.. I always thought that Warhammer came BEFORE the 40k universe. In the games, you always see the Emperor dude. He was in the Warhammer game, Shadow of the Horned Rat, and you always hear the dudes in DoW saying "For the Emperor" and junk. I think a reference was made to him in an older 40k computer game too, where they said he lost his body to a disease or some junk. And since he's the immortal Emperor... *shrugs* It'd make more sense if the same Emperor who was in all the games went through the ages in the right order. The old medieval thing (archers, knights, junk like that... GYROCOPTERS) to the 40k universe.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 08:28:54 PM by Zero7 »
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

September 26, 2004, 12:35:29 AM
Reply #33

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
As far as i know, GW first had the two universes connected, storywise that is. But i think they disconnected them in some edition.  And i don't think they reconnected them.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

September 26, 2004, 01:45:24 AM
Reply #34

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Actually.. I always thought that Warhammer came BEFORE the 40k universe. In the games, you always see the Emperor dude. He was in the Warhammer game, Shadow of the Horned Rat, and you always hear the dudes in DoW saying "For the Emperor" and junk. I think a reference was made to him in an older 40k computer game too, where they said he lost his body to a disease or some junk. And since he's the immortal Emperor... *shrugs* It'd make more sense if the same Emperor who was in all the games went through the ages in the right order. The old medieval thing (archers, knights, junk like that... GYROCOPTERS) to the 40k universe.
[snapback]29666[/snapback]
No silly man, the emperor united the imperium and was given a fatal blow by horus during the horus heresy, then was inserted into the golden throne where he's lived (sorta) ever since.

September 26, 2004, 03:45:45 AM
Reply #35

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Yeah... it's 2 different emperors =3

The 40k one lives forever through technology the warhammer world just doesn't have.  Kinda nasty that it runs off the sacrificed lives of thousands of psykers though o.O

The story I remember is that Warhammer is a planet in the 40k universe but during the  years of the great warp storms when nobody could traverse the warp it was totally cut off along with just about everywhere else.  The problem is that when the storms calmed down over most of the galaxy the ones around the fantasy world still remained as fierce and howling as ever and still do to this day =o

Come to think of it aren't the days of storm the result of slaanesh's birth and the destruction of much of the eldar race? =P

September 26, 2004, 07:07:46 AM
Reply #36

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Bleh. The Tau are the only race that's really nice. The Tyranids are cool in that zergling sort of way (speed and melee). The Orks are cool in the chaotic, kill-everyone-for-the-heck-of-it braindead way. The Eldar are just a bunch of egocentric bastards like all other elves (and yes I know they're not really elves, but I'll be damned if there aren't a lot of similarities). And the humans? Don't even get me started on that bunch of mindless religious xenophobic fanatics. Oh wait, too late. But the Tau are the only ones who are actually NICE. The only ones I'd like to be myself, if I had to choose.

The Tau are how the humans SHOULD have been. Friendly, enlightened, high-tech, CIVILIZED. I know they don't fit the universe, because the universe is a dark and universally (get it? Universally. Haha) shitty place. They're like a beacon of light among so much biological degradation. So yeah, they don't fit in with the rest of the universe. I'd say they're better off for it, and I'll be rooting for 'em.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 07:09:50 AM by lolfighter »

September 26, 2004, 09:22:33 AM
Reply #37

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
The Tau instantly sucked when Firewarrior was made.

September 26, 2004, 02:35:21 PM
Reply #38

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Meh that's why I don't like the Tau, lf. Little buggers got off so easy. Let's examine shall we?

Humans - Live in just about the worst dictatorship ever invented, under the hand of a semi dead man kept alive on the sacrifices of his subjects. And he will NEVER DIE so they can't really hope for regime change. Mostly inhabit festering hive worlds swiss cheesed with tunnels and full of cities built on the ruins of cities over and over until they spear high into the deadly poisonous ruined atmosphere. Not to mention the fact that just about all the Chaos gods have it in for them and get the majority of their forces through corrupting humans and twisting them to do their dark bidding. And all their technology is many thousands of years old. Completely stagnant society. The only thing keeping it going is the momentum of 40,000 years.

Eldar - The last gasp of a race that by all rights died out 10,000 years ago when their own hedonistic lifestyle gave birth to their very own personal Chaos god. Stuck living on craftworlds floating aimlessly through the galaxy with no real home worlds to call their own. Death can't even release them from their fate, because when they die Slaanesh is waiting in the warp to consume their soul. Instead their souls get transferred to a tape backup and kept in stasis just hanging around for all eternity on the same old craftworld. But at least they've got style.

Orks - Are pretty well off, being too dumb to have any tragic history. But still... they're dumb. All they know is fighting and killing.

Chaos - Slaves to dark gods, need I say more?

Tyranids - I don't know, I actually like these guys. Sure, they descend on whole worlds and strip them of all natural resources until there's nothing left but dead and airless husks of rock... but at least they do that pretty well. There's something very pure about them. You know where you stand with them, eh?

Squats - AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ... breathe ... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA ... HAH!

The Necrontyr - Whoops, we made a deal with ancient beings that get off on consuming whole systems and find the terror and pain of their inhabitants makes a nice piquant seasoning. Now we're stuck in bodies of metal for all eternity fighting their battles for them.

AND THE TAU --- Happy, clean, nice. Their technology is new and it's advancing. Have no warp signature. When they die, there's no evil force of Chaos waiting to consume their soul. Don't even have the potential of birthing a Chaos god, because of the no warp signature thing. Would have been wiped out by the Imperium for their improper and unblessed technology millenia ago, but got saved by a convenient warp storm surrounding them for aeons. Instead of enslaving races, they go around befriending them. UGH!

We can only hope that the next invading Tyranid hive fleet happens to break into the galaxy right where the Tau worlds are and shows these little blue bastards what the 41st millenium is like.

September 26, 2004, 02:45:36 PM
Reply #39

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
So back on topic, would anyone actually like to play a Lm DoW game?