Author Topic: Dawn Of War  (Read 10303 times)

September 26, 2004, 11:37:56 PM
Reply #40

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Sure, when it arrives. Should be around wed/thurs.

September 27, 2004, 03:29:11 AM
Reply #41

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Meh that's why I don't like the Tau, lf. Little buggers got off so easy. Let's examine shall we?

{very long summary of the various races/factions in the WH40k universe}
[snapback]29685[/snapback]
You know, you could have saved yourself 521 words and almost 3000 letters by simply saying you're jealous...

September 27, 2004, 06:01:14 AM
Reply #42

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
I bet you counted them all, didn't you lf?

September 27, 2004, 07:13:48 AM
Reply #43

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
you wouldn't have too if you copied it to a word processor and used the word count function
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

September 27, 2004, 07:15:12 AM
Reply #44

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
But nobody would EVER think of that.

September 27, 2004, 07:45:04 AM
Reply #45

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Some people are obviously underestimating my will to drag a subject out as long as possible. I love making long winded speeches on things. So anything that could have shortened that list would only make me less happy.

And the Tau are smelly blue doody heads.

Edit: Anyone wanna play DoW?  :D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 07:45:25 AM by BobTheJanitor »

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

September 27, 2004, 04:32:10 PM
Reply #46

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
Yes bob I would like to play Dow.  Lets try to get something togeather over IRC or something like that.

September 28, 2004, 08:07:52 AM
Reply #47

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I've been perusing my Codex: Space Marines. I don't own a single miniature, but I bought the Codex: Space Marines, the Codex: Space Orks and the Armybook Orcs & Goblins simply for the fun of it. Well, the Codex: Space Marines says that there are rumours of horrible blasphemy concerning the Space Marines: They don't worship the emperor as a God, but merely as the founder of the Imperium and the Adeptus Astartes. That redeems the Space Marines a little.

September 28, 2004, 03:14:48 PM
Reply #48

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
The bulk of marines treat him with the same respect they treat their Primarch, and even then thats usually far from deification.

The real problem was in the past some chapters, notably the Word Bearers, turned their faith into the core of their chapter. Once that faith was lost, they became instruments of evil.

The Word Bearers went bad because the Emperor complained about their righteous beliefs, and the Dark Angels were split because they lost faith in their Emperor and their Primarch.

On the older posts, the Warhammer world WAS considered to be part of the 40k universe. It was the Old Ones private place to experiment with life. At its polar regions were warp gates which allowed travel between it and the universe at large. These gates collapsed, allowing the leaking of chaos into the world.

There's no real clue as the location of the Warhammer world. The Slann were toast long before Slaanesh was born, so chances are the group chiefly to blame are either the C'tan (or their Necrontyr underlings) or the Enslavers (possibly other warp entities but not the "big three", they were chiefly created by Man).

Some not entirely reliable fluff states that the Warhammer world started as an experiment on the creation of a race to defeat the C'tan, and then moved on to become a race that would not succumb to Chaos. Hence why Halflings are apparently immune to the effects of Chaos (being the last creation of the Old Ones).

There is a logic to this, especially when you consider that Man created Khorne, Nurgle, and Tzeentch, while the only creatures the Eldar have conjured up have been Slaanesh and Khaine... Khaine got messed up by Slaanesh, and Slaanesh is almost a minor power compared to the Big Three. Eldar might have some impressive warp manipulation skills but they can't measure up to the damage Man can do.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

September 28, 2004, 10:31:49 PM
Reply #49

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well off the current topic but on the main topic (if that's possible) the campaign is getting aggravating. I'm going to rant now. I hate it when games can't follow their own rules. I'm nearing the end of the campaign, I think (and I'm sort of pissed that it's only Space Marines, never once in the campaign do you play anything else, you just shoot a lot of the other races) and the game has all out started to cheat. I'm in a map bifurcated by a river with only one bridge across it. I take everything on one side of the river, build up my listening posts, turret up all my control areas, etc. I check all the edges of the map, and there's no Eldar there. But as soon as I cross the river.. OH SNAP, ELDAR COMING OUT EVERYWHERE! My bases far in the back of the battlefield are being attacked by Eldar forces who apparently came from the VOID off the edge of the map... and of course, the bulk of my forces are on the front lines pushing into the Eldar section of the map across the river. And even though I have a squad and vehicle cap, apparently the computer gets to pop out tons and tons of enemy forces. As I watched them sweep through my weakly defended listening posts and start hammering on my base, even as a mirror image of that huge force started attacking my main force across the river, I just turned off the game in disgust.

Looks like it's time to just start playing skirmishes, where the difficulty is based on your opponent's cleverness and tactics instead of on breaking the game rules.  :angry:

September 29, 2004, 12:47:53 AM
Reply #50

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
DoW still not come, maybe tomorrow :(

September 29, 2004, 12:20:19 PM
Reply #51

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
They're coming out of the walls man!!

Actually thats how you can spot the Dev team of a game are lazy - "teleporting" enemies that suddenly appear at predetermined time periods. Pain in the backside.

September 29, 2004, 04:38:01 PM
Reply #52

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
Looks like it's time to just start playing skirmishes, where the difficulty is based on your opponent's ability to mass units instead of on breaking the game rules.  :angry:
[snapback]29907[/snapback]

Edited for truth.

September 29, 2004, 05:33:01 PM
Reply #53

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hooray for mass units! But I could see some strategy in this game coming from more than just massed forces. For example, putting a lot of assault marines with a lot of regular marines and then a bunch of whirlwinds in one squad and then giving them all an attack order on one area will end up with the assault marines getting pulverized by fire from the tanks and splash damage from any marines carrying rocket launchers. Actually... I haven't found much use for assault marines at all, except an early squad to quick cap strategic points. Their jump ability is interesting, but they tend to get crushed in hand to hand with most other units, which is where they SHOULD be best.

But anyway, yes, managing squads and using each type of unit to the best of its ability will probably win over putting all your force in group one and giving them an attack waypoint on the enemy base.

September 30, 2004, 11:55:14 AM
Reply #54

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
See stuff like that would melt my head - I'm all too aware of every units "real" value in boardgame terms.... to have that bent over and violated would kill the enjoyment for me.

Specifically if charging JP Assault rines had their backside handed to them by a heavy weapons team.

October 07, 2004, 01:53:39 PM
Reply #55

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
Woohoo it arrived! who wants to play ^_^

October 07, 2004, 02:28:05 PM
Reply #56

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I was in the open beta test for a while, played quite a few games. Overall, I liked it, although lack of sufficient funding prevents me from purchasing it.

October 07, 2004, 07:38:13 PM
Reply #57

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
aight, i have it.  actually got it sunday, but i still have it.  Let me know if you want to play, but i ahve to amke a knew id........my dark eldar army (for the REAL WH40k are paionted like jesters....and so my anme was the grimm_jester..then i realized what i had just done, so now i have to change my name,  NOt the paint tho....thats hard)

I know i'm a bit late with this, but you guys think TYRANIDS are unpopular?   Look at how many people play dark eldar?  the store i shop at DOESNT EVEN STOCK THEIR STUFF HALF THE TIME AND THEY OVERFLOW WITH ALL THE OTHERS  AND THEY SAID "WEL ITS CUZ NOONE BUYS THE DARK ELDAR"  OMGHAXBBQ!!! I DO!.  but sorry about that, it makes me angry when i cant buy a SINGLE guy with a dark lance.

so.  My im is Mlord Kodiac  so let me know if thou wouldst wish to play games with me.

and yes, i know dark eldar painted like jesters is a little.....strange......but how many of you are afraid of clowns that AREN'T trying to kill you?  Now imagine them with guns and eating your soul......mmmmmm tasty.......

sorry i rambled, been a while
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

October 08, 2004, 12:19:44 PM
Reply #58

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Dark Eldar suffer the same fate as the Nids - they're not the easiest race to use WELL. Lucky for Nids this time they're in the box set and will get some shelf space.... although in the near future I expect the Nids to wane again. Half the newbs only buy them because GW redid the whole range to look like Zerg.

*grumble*

October 08, 2004, 12:23:11 PM
Reply #59

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
My tyranids never lost a battle... I suspect the overwhelming numbers of genestealers from my space hulk games probably helped XD

...That and my bullet-magnet of a Hive Tyrant.  He ate krack nades for breakfast and regenerates =3