Author Topic: Warcraft 3 Map  (Read 5339 times)

August 12, 2004, 10:52:34 AM
Read 5339 times

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
H'okay.  This is a map I finished circa June 2003, released it, it made its way throughout Bnet and got great reviews.  Then 1.10 comes out and completely and utterly breaks it.  I manage to get it about half fixed, but never managed to get it fully functional.  I ran across the 12-page bug and task list when moving apartments last week and was like "Damn.  I spent a large chunk of my life on that."  So I'd like to know if there's any interest in the community for me to go back and put this thing back together.  If you still play WC3 and think it'd be worth my time, post in this thread and let me know.  :)

It's a 4-player FFA RPG.  Each person selects a party of 4 heroes out of 6 hero types.  They then explore the world independently and compete to be the first to finish the various quests, which gives them Honor points.  Also, if two players' parties encounter each other, they will battle and the winner will also receive honor.  After all of the various quests of FF1 are complete and the final boss is defeated, the player with the most honor wins.

Here's a couple of sample screenshots (of single player mode)...

Ain't he purty?

Boss battle.

Another boss battle.  The minimap is revealed in this one (indoor areas are far north and far south).

The Black Wizard's ultimate spell, Nuke.  :)

God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

August 12, 2004, 11:01:06 AM
Reply #1

Tombomb

• Skulk

• View Profile
Hayo  good job mate.  i started a map and tried to finish it but i am new to triggers and all and so by myself the farthest i got was the hero selection wich took me a week to make.  it would be great to team up with you some time to make a warcraft 3 map cuz i often play it like NS.

Thanks Dubb & Satiagraha for teh sweet hook up of Sig and Avatar
(Quote) Tombomb
DURPDE DUURRR????

August 12, 2004, 12:42:59 PM
Reply #2

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Sounds good, but I don't play Warcraft III that much anymore. And when I do, it's usually competitively. Every now and then I might play a custom map with some friends.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

August 12, 2004, 04:51:44 PM
Reply #3

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Woah woah, do the players actually teleport to another location to fight the monsters ala ff7?  This looks so damn good, you definitely need to fix it.  Hell, I'll fix it if you want me to.  I don't know how to map in WC3 but I assume its just busy work fixing triggers, right?

August 12, 2004, 05:19:59 PM
Reply #4

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Woah woah, do the players actually teleport to another location to fight the monsters ala ff7?  This looks so damn good, you definitely need to fix it.  Hell, I'll fix it if you want me to.  I don't know how to map in WC3 but I assume its just busy work fixing triggers, right?
No, the teleporting occurs when you enter a dungeon/cave/tower area - it takes you to a closed off area in the north or south areas of the map.  The airship won't let you fly from the overworld into them.

The main difficulties, aside from fixing random quirks with items and triggers, will be converting the custom triggers and custom spells.  I made this map with custom spells before Blizzard supported that in the editor, so that would be busy work inputting the spell data from the raw data files (which was the old way of making spells) into the editor.  The next problem is more tricky - I used some triggers that were custom built using some 3rd party editing tools - the new versions of the editor don't know what the hell to do with them.  It's going to take some kind of rolling back to an early version of the editor, I THINK maybe I can convert those triggers to custom script code, then import it into the new version of the editor.  I could probably use help going back and forth between versions to test so I don't have to constantly reinstall Warcraft.  IM me at d00biedan if you're interested in helping.
God, it's so creamy.

August 12, 2004, 10:51:42 PM
Reply #5

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hrmm sounds interesting, but controlling mutliple characters in WC3 is a turn off for me, mainly because there's enough delay in telling one character what to do as it is and the AI can get confused with some orders you give to it, so eh. EH! I'll stick with my tower defense maps.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

August 13, 2004, 05:18:41 AM
Reply #6

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Lol map preview  :p

God, it's so creamy.

August 13, 2004, 12:26:12 PM
Reply #7

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
why don't you upgrade it for Frozen throne :D?

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

August 13, 2004, 11:00:35 PM
Reply #8

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The Frozen Throne is a good expansion, IMO. Good gameplay plus. Anyway, yeah if you made it for TFT, you could get some new tilesets and such in there.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

August 13, 2004, 11:05:01 PM
Reply #9

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
i'd definitely play that map with you guys.

and on a more important note, why is your name amanda, doobeh dan?  :o

August 14, 2004, 01:58:06 AM
Reply #10

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
The Frozen Throne is a good expansion, IMO. Good gameplay plus. Anyway, yeah if you made it for TFT, you could get some new tilesets and such in there.
[snapback]26182[/snapback]
not only that, but there's new abilities, models... AND you can make new skills easily, where people used to do it with triggers before.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

August 14, 2004, 08:43:09 AM
Reply #11

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
and on a more important note, why is your name amanda, doobeh dan?  :o
[snapback]26184[/snapback]
My fiancee was playing through the whole single player campaign at the time, so when I was testing it was usually her account that was loaded up - no point in changing it.

As far as TFT, right now I have a completed map that is fully compatible with RoC - no point locking out potential players just to add a few gizmos.  If I was starting from scratch it'd be a different story.

I'm going to try and fix it right now.  At the very least I'll need help compatibility testing - so give me an IM.
God, it's so creamy.