Author Topic: Rant: I, Robot  (Read 1892 times)

July 28, 2004, 05:57:25 PM
Read 1892 times

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
You know, the movie.  That is pissing me off.  Asimov had a book, a while ago called I, Robot.  It was a collection of some pretty good short stories.  None of these stories was even related to the movie.  I don't have a :Ding clue where the movie came from, but A) it wasn't one of asimov's books, B) its book is replacing asimov's old books at the bookstore..
It just pisses me off.. first they totally make up the move, then replace a perfectly good book with their crappy movie one.  Its not nice, not nice at all

July 28, 2004, 06:21:26 PM
Reply #1

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
The studio had bought the rights to, at the very least, the title. They had another script, called 'Hard Wired' which is what this movie is. They looked at the two and realized that they were both about robots, making them exactly the same. (Hollywood types aren't gifted with normal sized intelligence) So, they slapped the title on, whipped a few Asimovian character names on characters having nothing to do with the originals, and crammed in the three paraphrased laws of Robotics.

That noted, I'm torn. Part of me doesn't want to go see it, because that would simply be supporting this sort of idiocy. However, I also hate talking something down when I haven't seen it. It feels too hypocritical. I'm stuck.

Eedit: Speling
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 06:21:59 PM by BobTheJanitor »

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 28, 2004, 07:01:34 PM
Reply #2

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Its not so much the movie that pisses me off, its the fact that their crap book bumped a perfectly good one off the shelf :/

I dunno, it seemed like every other movie w/ will smith in it

July 28, 2004, 07:33:52 PM
Reply #3

Asal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
You should hear kodiac rant about this.  I'll point him over this way for you.
Asal 'The Unforgiving'
Fedaykin, Warrior of the Desert Mouse

"I will live to be immortal...or die trying!"

July 28, 2004, 10:19:01 PM
Reply #4

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
i liked the movie, yeah it wasnt really like asimovs but eh its hollywood, whatrya gonna do...
-_^

July 28, 2004, 10:34:57 PM
Reply #5

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Oh no, they didn't even follow the book a little?

Damn... and the book was good too...

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

July 28, 2004, 11:53:10 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I haven't seen the book bumped off the shelf. I've just seen copies of Asimov's real "I, Robot" with stupid ass pictures from the movie on the cover. ARGH!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 29, 2004, 12:49:10 AM
Reply #7

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
First off, in the movie, it specifically says "Suggested by the books by Asimov". It doesn't say "Based on the book by Asimov" or "A translation of the book by Asimov", it merely says "Suggested...".

Secondly, there's nothing you can do about it; Hollywood will do what they will do. I've learned not to give the whole book-to-movie thing a second thought over the years, as there have always have been and always will be bad movies translated from good books. Even if a movie does a very good job at creating the movie, as with the Lord of the Rings movies, there will always be people to bitch about it. Seriously, I wasn't even out of the theatre (the room with the screen and seats and such, not just the whole building itself) before I heard a bunch of whining and bitching about how the most recent Harry Potter movie was missing such-and-such scene and so-and-so was misquoted at such-and-such scenes and everything else they could think of.

Finally, Bob: Go see the movie. I can honestly say, as long as you don't go in with an über-critic-nerd mentality, if you go in with the mentality that "I want to see a good sci-fi movie", you won't be disapponted. I really enjoyed the movie, and I think Will Smith did a solid job acting in this one; His own style of humor is there, but it doesn't interfere with the feel of the movie.

July 29, 2004, 02:36:49 AM
Reply #8

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So if it's not even based on his book, I am going to slap the matrix rip-off tag back on! AND NO GRIMMUS WE MUST COMPLAIN ABOUT HOLLYWOOD MORE BECAUSE ONE DAY WE WILL RISE UP AND BURN DOWN ALL  PEOPLE WHO MIS-LABEL OR MIS-CREATE MOVIES AND MOVIES FROM THEN ON WILL HAVE THE CORRECT NAMES AND CORRECT STORYLINES ARGH!!11 [/shouting]

Oh yeah, in soviet russia movie watches you! [/communism joke]

I reveal penis I know psychology.

July 29, 2004, 07:47:47 AM
Reply #9

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Ever played Robot City? That was a crappy game but at least it was based on the robot city books (which are good to read if you can find em).  The movie.. as far as I can tell was a combination of some parts of books (NS-5, Nestor 5, see "Little Lost Robot", I think was the name).. but as far as it being based on the books, its horrible.. The movie would've been better if they used the Robot City or Robots and Aliens series

July 29, 2004, 09:49:18 AM
Reply #10

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Disregarding the title problem, the movie itself wasn't that bad.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

July 29, 2004, 10:10:14 AM
Reply #11

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Hmm, i was in a bookstore this morning, i only noticed the original Asimov. But then again, i don't think I, Robot has even come out in the cinema over here.

On the note of the movie, if you put the title behind you, it is really an excellent movie, Will Smith is fantastic.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

July 29, 2004, 10:19:56 AM
Reply #12

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
A Few Good Points :

1).  If you are like the average person and have not read I, Robot, then its a fiairly good movie.  

2).  If you are a member of the population and HAVE read the book, then it sucks.  At least, until you realize that only the title is the same, not the plot/story.  of course, the book had no plot, for it twas a series of short stories.

3).  It is "suggested by the book by isaac asimov"  at least, thats what i thought i saw when i saw it in the theatre.   AKA-  ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE SAME

4).  It was made by hollywood.  'nuff said

5).  They would ahve been better off basing it on other robot books.... i.e.  "The Caves of Steel"  or "The Robots of Dawn".

6). Blah.  i think im done now....anything else i can rant about?
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear