Author Topic: Final Hope Faith  (Read 8117 times)

July 26, 2004, 03:11:07 PM
Reply #40

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The interesting irony here is that I am a Christian, and I got there by following those exact principles. I decided I would rather have truth over a happy lie, and the more I researched, the more truth I found in Christianity. So it worked out for me. I'm not usually inclined to bring it up on forums, because I've found that arguing religion over the internet won't change anyone's point of view and makes more flamewars than it makes friends. Although I think Quaun's forums, as a place where like minded people can get together and discuss their common beliefs, is a fine idea.
oh, i've been WISE TO YOU AND YOUR WAYS FOR MONTHS NOW BOB!! i've sekratly known about yer  religionnessisitioty!!! mauahahahhaha!! of course, this relates to nothing at all in this discussion.

i think i put down why i'm not religious in a hidden thread a few aeons ago. if someone can explain that conundrum to me, i'll gladly pick up the bible again and start my thumping anew!!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 26, 2004, 04:13:37 PM
Reply #41

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
You encoded it in ... well, in CODE. And it was code that I didn't know how to read. Damn nerds.  :p Post it again and I'll try and get someone else to translate it for me. Once I've got the vocabulary down, then and only then can I begin philosophizing in it.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 26, 2004, 09:30:38 PM
Reply #42

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
the absense of religion does not mean the absense of peace, fellowship, or a feeling of belonging. i for one, would argue that of all the things things that caused peace, or continued peace, it would NOT be religion. religion has been a root cause of conflict in many, many wars throughout history.

I wholeheartedly agree. The practices built around a faith have little practical purpose aside from a symbolic reminder of the original faith.

A set of practices will not change the world for the better. A small group of faithful individuals is the only thing that ever has. The most radical change coming from those who followed Christ. Horrible practices in other countries have been done away with, and entire cultures and ethnic groups have been saved at the hands of people who believe that the God they pray to loves the people who haven't been placed in the richest nation in the world. Missionaries put stops to blood feuds, recorded tribe histories in alphabets and languages created for those tribes, and have brought medical and financial aid to billions of people.

And instead of focusing on that, you focus on the few butchers that killed millions for their own gain, claiming God was on their side. You totally ignore the efforts of millions of people who have worked their whole lives to make sure they were on God's side. Not that they felt they needed to, but because they knew God had accepted them, and obeyed when He called them to spread the word.

Perhaps it should be viewed from the exterior. I believe that we live to be happy, if that is through a lie, what difference does it make? To you, your "lie" is the truth, as true to you as everything that you have ever learned. You go through life happy. Of course I suppose this is based on the fundamental belief that the point of life is to live and be merry. I could see this complying with bob's point of view as well. If knowing the universal truth gives makes you happy, then your search for that is all-important.
All in all, I fail to see how whether "knowing the truth" or not makes any difference at all in the end, as long as you are happy.

Ahh, Hedonism. Say I was happy at the expense of others. Would that OK? Of course not. How do we define what is better good? Someone being happy or someone beaing healthy? Is it up for individuals to determine, or is there a standard that is universal? Where do we know where our right to be happy ends? What if someone is unjust or selfish themselves when they say that their rights are being infringed upon?

What good is being happy anyway? To say that here and now is the only important time would be the downfall of civilization. So we devote ourselves to lasting significance, of course. We decide that the randomly generated genetic code in our bodies must somehow make a difference for all the other people who are just walking worm food. What's the point, Sati?

We all have a concience that tells us it's good to do things for other people. If we are to accept the secular interpretation for this, it is a useless endeavor, we're all going to be dead anyway, and it won't matter. If we accept the Christian version, "We love, because He first loved us." As C.S. Lewis argued so vehemently and so elequently in his books, and what is blatantly apparent to me, is that every impulse I've ever felt can be harmonized with Christian teaching about the nature or the fall of man. It cannot be harmonized with humanistic/hedonistic/secular ethics or tenents.

Organized religion has its ups and down, down being that you are forced to beleave it, and you cant let your mind run free, like most christians (specially those hardcore bastispts) you only think of god... ONLY GOD. which, is a bad thing, if god had wanted us all to think about him all the damn time, he would of changed the way our minds work, and placement of certain elements in there. But no, he made us the way we are today, either through planned evolution, or just on the spots genetics.

I don't know about you, Bill, but I've lost myself in God's word, prayer, and discussions about God for hours at a time. The fondest memory I have is from a missions trip I took in Chicago, where 6 of us sat at a table, eating Cheez-Its, drinking Mountain Dew, talking about the incredible things God did in our lives and the lives of our friends, until 2 A.M. And it wasn't the Dew that kept us up so late, we went to sleep because only then did the last of our sextet finish discussion the finer points of Armenianism and it's effect on his relationship with God. I have never felt such bliss, and the joy I've found in the Lord is the only joy I've found where I've not had an emotional downturn as compensation later. My first kiss with a beautiful girl was followed by a break-up, my placing at old Tae-Kwon-Do tournaments were followed by me getting my arse handed to me by people who were just plain better. The adrenaline rush of a roller-coaster is met with a longing for that rush again. The joy God has showed me has proved to me the depth of His love.

So for now, I'm sticking with Dan Brown. Or somewhere approximately close to him. If faith is something so deeply ingrained in the christian soul, why would one feel the need to defend it? Doesn't that betray the very definition of faith? Are the authors proving something to the rest of the world or are they merely trying to prove something to themselves and reaffirm their own weak faith?

Yes, you may have no cause to believe your mother is was a whore, and smile and walk on. But, assume that same person screamed at the top of his lungs through a bullhorn "DUBBILEX' MOTHER IS A WHORE!" And, everyone clamored around you, or at least, started to wonder what the truth was.

Let me take it a step further. You were spending the last few minutes telling everyone how pure and virtuous your mother is. Then this one guy comes along spouting what you know is a lie.

Are you going to sit idly by and suffer his claims, or are you going to point out the obvious, that perhaps, DNA testing has showed that your parents are your biological parents, and that you were concieved well after their marriage? Or, are you going to sit by and let everyone think that your mom is a prostitute?

Let us go father still from the original analogy, but closer to the specific issue at hand. Assume that your mother is having people over for a party later, free beer for those over 21 (awesome mom, you have), cookies for everyone, both caek and pai, and some good old fashioned LAN play afterwards.

But, who would want to go to a party thrown by a whore? She's providing a free gift, but if everyone thinks she is someone she is not, who will want to go?

Who would take Christ seriously if people thought that he had an affair with Mary Magdaline(sp, sorry), and that the Son of God himself was really just a normal guy with a lot of talk who met an untimely end? Who would embrace what I know as the truth, that Christ payed for their sins and bought them out of bondage, if everyone thought he was a lecher?

What sane, compassionate person would not themselves proclaim the truth, to the point of being crucified themselves for attesting to it?

Christianity is about more that fulfillment, or my own little life and how God's made it so much better. Christianity is about how God himself has stepped into human history and affected every single person on the planet.

EDIT: Sorry for length, just wanted to say all I wanted to say.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 09:31:04 PM by Legionnaired »

July 26, 2004, 10:34:49 PM
Reply #43

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
the da vinci code doesn't discredit the bible, it just states that there's another side to what the bible has to say

the other side is: the bible is filled with nonliteral definitions of things and the holy grail proves it while the church claims that everything in the bible was literal
ie:
christ was literally the son (as in offspring) of god
vs
christ was the son (as in raised by and/or miracle) of god
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 10:37:05 PM by Black Mage »

July 27, 2004, 05:25:20 AM
Reply #44

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
the da vinci code doesn't discredit the bible, it just states that there's another side to what the bible has to say

the other side is: the bible is filled with nonliteral definitions of things and the holy grail proves it while the church claims that everything in the bible was literal
ie:
christ was literally the son (as in offspring) of god
vs
christ was the son (as in raised by and/or miracle) of god
Actually, the book goes as far to say that jesus was just the son of a carpenter who was elevated to god-status by a later pope (who happened to be in control of all the literature in the world, including all the bibles.  And this much is true; the Roman empire was basically all of educated civilization in the world at the time) for political reasons.

And to a person broght up to believe whatever I really want to believe, this (even in the case that it's complete fiction, which it likely is) makes much more sense to me than this immaculate conception stuff.  Perhaps I think too rationally, but I believe far more in the dangerous power of human nature and human ambition than I do in any sort of uniting concept of a deity.  

But, hell, I listen to Jesus Chris Superstar.  I saw The Passion.  It's just that, to me, it's an interesting fictional story rather than a historic recount.

Yes, you may have no cause to believe your mother is was a whore, and smile and walk on. But, assume that same person screamed at the top of his lungs through a bullhorn "DUBBILEX' MOTHER IS A WHORE!" And, everyone clamored around you, or at least, started to wonder what the truth was.

Let me take it a step further. You were spending the last few minutes telling everyone how pure and virtuous your mother is. Then this one guy comes along spouting what you know is a lie.

Are you going to sit idly by and suffer his claims, or are you going to point out the obvious, that perhaps, DNA testing has showed that your parents are your biological parents, and that you were concieved well after their marriage? Or, are you going to sit by and let everyone think that your mom is a prostitute?

Let us go father still from the original analogy, but closer to the specific issue at hand. Assume that your mother is having people over for a party later, free beer for those over 21 (awesome mom, you have), cookies for everyone, both caek and pai, and some good old fashioned LAN play afterwards.

But, who would want to go to a party thrown by a whore? She's providing a free gift, but if everyone thinks she is someone she is not, who will want to go?

Yes, I truly would just walk away.  I mean, I partake in those "huh huh - your mom is hot" discussions regarding my own mother.  It's just honestly not important to me what people think as opposed to what's fact.  To my (perhaps unenlightened mind), I don't care about convincing anybody that I believe the Bible is too old a book to be considered an accurate source for anything.  I don't care about convincing anyone that I believe it to be fiction.  I simply think that, if you want to believe that, it's perfectly groovy.  Honestly, I'm not gonna try to chnge your mind :)  

The only problem is that there are far too many people in the world who want to make everyone think what they think - and that's where religion came from, looking from my (perhaps wrong) paradigm.  Mental unification is a step in the wrong direction.  If people learned to accept the fallacies of each other and the nuances of each other's mind without questioning, we'd all be much happier.

July 27, 2004, 08:15:19 AM
Reply #45

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Teehee. I'll go read your 'Davinci Code' if you'll go read 'The Case for Christ' by one Lee Strobel. It's a study touching on merely the high points of the evidence that Christ really existed as an individual who believed that he was God incarnate, who went around doing miracles, and who was really executed and yet who was also really seen up and prancing around three days later. I'd be surprised if the Davinci Code had anything to offer in the way of tangible evidence for someone being able to mass invent a religion and tell people, "Oh, by the way, you've all believed this for YEARS before now, isn't that nice? Now everyone go forth and no one ever question where this belief suddenly came from. Definitely not out of thin air."

July 27, 2004, 08:47:49 AM
Reply #46

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Teehee. I'll go read your 'Davinci Code' if you'll go read 'The Case for Christ' by one Lee Strobel. It's a study touching on merely the high points of the evidence that Christ really existed as an individual who believed that he was God incarnate, who went around doing miracles, and who was really executed and yet who was also really seen up and prancing around three days later. I'd be surprised if the Davinci Code had anything to offer in the way of tangible evidence for someone being able to mass invent a religion and tell people, "Oh, by the way, you've all believed this for YEARS before now, isn't that nice? Now everyone go forth and no one ever question where this belief suddenly came from. Definitely not out of thin air."
Noted.  I'll hopefully hit up the library today and search for it :)

July 27, 2004, 10:03:39 AM
Reply #47

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
the absense of religion does not mean the absense of peace, fellowship, or a feeling of belonging.  i for one, would argue that of all the things things that caused peace, or continued peace, it would NOT be religion.
first off, i didn't say it was the SOLE cause of those good things, i said it was A cause. it would reduce the total tonnage of joy experienced by man ppl.

and no, religion is not wholly evil, neither has it been wholly good.  but i think it does provide for many good things for many people as of now.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 27, 2004, 10:10:25 AM
Reply #48

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Organized religion has its ups and down, down being that you are forced to beleave it, and you cant let your mind run free, like most christians (specially those hardcore bastispts) you only think of god... ONLY GOD. which, is a bad thing, if god had wanted us all to think about him all the damn time, he would of changed the way our minds work, and placement of certain elements in there. But no, he made us the way we are today, either through planned evolution, or just on the spots genetics.

I don't know about you, Bill, but I've lost myself in God's word, prayer, and discussions about God for hours at a time. The fondest memory I have is from a missions trip I took in Chicago, where 6 of us sat at a table, eating Cheez-Its, drinking Mountain Dew, talking about the incredible things God did in our lives and the lives of our friends, until 2 A.M. And it wasn't the Dew that kept us up so late, we went to sleep because only then did the last of our sextet finish discussion the finer points of Armenianism and it's effect on his relationship with God. I have never felt such bliss, and the joy I've found in the Lord is the only joy I've found where I've not had an emotional downturn as compensation later. My first kiss with a beautiful girl was followed by a break-up, my placing at old Tae-Kwon-Do tournaments were followed by me getting my arse handed to me by people who were just plain better. The adrenaline rush of a roller-coaster is met with a longing for that rush again. The joy God has showed me has proved to me the depth of His love.

yeah legion, I know that feeling too, I myself go to a bibe camp every once and a while (hick bible camp, trust me, ts funner then it sounds) and I always have a great time there, and as you say, no downturn. Just reading your post has opened my eyes to that, the whole everything hs an opposite effect, except with god, thanks legion I know have nother thing to be thankfull for :)

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 27, 2004, 10:20:05 AM
Reply #49

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

The most radical change coming from those who followed Christ. Horrible practices in other countries have been done away with, and entire cultures and ethnic groups have been saved at the hands of people who believe that the God they pray to loves the people who haven't been placed in the richest nation in the world. Missionaries put stops to blood feuds, recorded tribe histories in alphabets and languages created for those tribes, and have brought medical and financial aid to billions of people.

i'm not sure if going into measuring the total tonnage of good Christianity has brought to the world is the best way to go. at best, it's 50/50. lets look at some counter balances to the good christianity has brought

-the three G's God, Glory, and Gold . the reasons behind the massive rape, pillage, and genocide of numerous indigenous ppls of South America.
-the rwandan massacre, a religious as well as tribal blood-letting
-the Crusades
-the numerous indigenous cultures that were WIPED OUT because of christianity's need for a less heathen ppl
-the rape and emotional destruction of thousands of native children under the auspices of residential schooling in canada

Ahh, Hedonism. Say I was happy at the expense of others. Would that OK? Of course not. How do we define what is better good? Someone being happy or someone beaing healthy? Is it up for individuals to determine, or is there a standard that is universal? Where do we know where our right to be happy ends? What if someone is unjust or selfish themselves when they say that their rights are being infringed upon?

i have no idea where you are pulling this from. nowhere did i qualify or go onto the nature of a moral happiness, and nowhere did i hint that what i was talking about was an amoral happiness. this is an entire philosophical debate unrelated to what the thrust of my point was.

I don't know about you, Bill, but I've lost myself in God's word, prayer, and discussions about God for hours at a time. The fondest memory I have is from a missions trip I took in Chicago, where 6 of us sat at a table, eating Cheez-Its, drinking Mountain Dew, talking about the incredible things God did in our lives and the lives of our friends, until 2 A.M. And it wasn't the Dew that kept us up so late, we went to sleep because only then did the last of our sextet finish discussion the finer points of Armenianism and it's effect on his relationship with God.

so one would say that relationship, that knowledge of God is important yes? that is one of the MAIN reasons i'm not religious any more. because that knowledge, that realtionship, is temporally and spatially bound, which is inherently unfair, unjust, and without compassion. if you were a Australian Aboriginal in 500BC, you could never ever have that knowledge. explain that to me please. explain how it is just.

Totally OT here, but Jesus would. jesus was a hippie supremo el compassionario.

Christianity is about more that fulfillment, or my own little life and how God's made it so much better. Christianity is about how God himself has stepped into human history and affected every single person on the planet.
except the druids, or the babylonians, or the chinese in 300 BC, or the japanese in 100AD. well, sure, in a very He's Saved Them Without Them Knowing kinda way, but not in a personal relationship kinda way. not in the Selfish God type way that CS Lewis so often refers to. that god will ahve us, and not share us.

more OT, didja know Lewis was a friend of Tolkien. ah, you prolly did.
-Richard Feynman

July 27, 2004, 12:06:15 PM
Reply #50

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
See this is why I don't get involved in internet religious debates. They turn into massive threads, each post comprising pages of quotes, counter-points, arguments, witty sub-commentary, and all around pontificating. Every once in a while they're punctuated by a two line response from someone who didn't read ANYTHING that was posted before, but only came in to say 'Jesus is sux, i worshap saten forevar!' just to get a rise out of people.

Eventually it becomes impossible to follow the discussion as it becomes something more like five discussions all crossed together in each post. Give me a friendly chat in a comfy chair, preferably with a irish coffee and all night to discuss away the meaning of life with a friendly compatriot ANYTIME.  :D

July 27, 2004, 12:32:24 PM
Reply #51

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

They turn into massive threads, each post comprising pages of quotes, counter-points, arguments, witty sub-commentary, and all around pontificating.
so, what are you saying? that i'm a  massive threadhead? (i am not making subcommentary.. oh wait. i am.. just here tho.. maybe META sub commentary. damn, now i'm making META META sub commentary)*waves big pope hat madly*

Every once in a while they're punctuated by a two line response from someone who didn't read ANYTHING that was posted before, but only came in to say 'Jesus is sux, i worshap saten forevar!' just to get a rise out of people.
SO WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!?! that we should EAT penguins?! huh?!? even penguin BABIES?!?! what about the CHILDREN BOB!?! THE CHILDREN!!! btw, "Hedgehogs r00lz teh worldz0r, even more than satan!!!"
-Richard Feynman

July 27, 2004, 12:59:20 PM
Reply #52

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
MY DAD READ THAT. EXCELLENT BOOK. FREAKING EXCELLENT.

July 27, 2004, 01:01:48 PM
Reply #53

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
See this is why I don't get involved in internet religious debates. They turn into massive threads, each post comprising pages of quotes, counter-points, arguments, witty sub-commentary, and all around pontificating. Every once in a while they're punctuated by a two line response from someone who didn't read ANYTHING that was posted before, but only came in to say 'Jesus is sux, i worshap saten forevar!' just to get a rise out of people.

Eventually it becomes impossible to follow the discussion as it becomes something more like five discussions all crossed together in each post. Give me a friendly chat in a comfy chair, preferably with a irish coffee and all night to discuss away the meaning of life with a friendly compatriot ANYTIME.  :D
OMG DBL POST OLO

But Bob: We really need to get a LM ventrilo server.

July 27, 2004, 01:37:06 PM
Reply #54

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
See? There's always that one guy who has to come interject a random offensive line like that for no good reason except to tick people off! ( :p )

July 27, 2004, 09:48:44 PM
Reply #55

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
See? There's always that one guy who has to come interject a random offensive line like that for no good reason except to tick people off! ( :p )
...but I started the conversation.

BUT I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN! YOU ARE A SICK, TWISTED SON OF A B****, COMING IN A RELIGIOUS TOPIC AND F***ING IT ALL UP FOR US YOU SICK MOTHER F***ING PIECE OF F***ING S***CAKES!!!

:p

July 27, 2004, 10:07:30 PM
Reply #56

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Strobel has written like 6 'a case for' books, definitely a good read, expecially for a struggling christian (pretty much any of them, but 'for christ' is one of the best).  My church worships the guy, its acctually pretty wierd.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

July 27, 2004, 11:03:03 PM
Reply #57

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Case for Faith is another good one, focusing on the common barricades to faith. Maybe Niteowl should read it... :p I like them because they're not in depth beat you in the face religion books. They're just 'here are some facts from some people who look like they know what they're talking about' sort of books. The kind you can read lightly and take away some interesting points to ponder later.

July 28, 2004, 08:51:55 AM
Reply #58

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
so one would say that relationship, that knowledge of God is important yes? that is one of the MAIN reasons i'm not religious any more. because that knowledge, that realtionship, is temporally and spatially bound, which is inherently unfair, unjust, and without compassion. if you were a Australian Aboriginal in 500BC, you could never ever have that knowledge. explain that to me please. explain how it is just.

The hard thing to realize is that God doesn't owe anyone anything. Our debt is to God, and not the other thing around. It would not compromise God's just nature in any way, if he simply did not die on the cross. "Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels ? (Mat 26:53)"

God can save whoever he sees fit to save, we deserve nothing but the pennance for our sinful actions.

There's also a verse (Romans 8:29 I think...) that says "Those who he foreknew he also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son," which basically says that the people God knows will accept Him, He finds ways to reach.

If this is true, the inverse is also true, that if God knows a person will not accept Him, that an effort may or may not be made to share the gospel with them, but ultimately, God knows those people are going to reject Him no matter what, and it's His perogative to send people or not. He may very well decide that His flock would be better used preaching to the willing, and it wouldn't compromise God's character in the slightest, nor would it change the end result of who knows God on the last day and who doesn't.

July 28, 2004, 09:32:12 AM
Reply #59

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
God can save whoever he sees fit to save, we deserve nothing but the pennance for our sinful actions.

again with the salvation.. this is NOT about the salvatory nature of christianity. it's about knowledge thereof. and since the christian god is biased towards a certain subgroup of ppl because of when and where they were born, i cannot accept him. that is not compassion to me.
-Richard Feynman