Author Topic: Lm Community Made Map  (Read 85442 times)

June 21, 2004, 03:52:24 PM
Reply #160

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
I'm at work!!!! I can't answer you on IRC you nubz0r.

We should probably parcel out the map and figure out down to the hallway who is working on what. BTW, anyone familiar with copying and pasting from different RMFs to make it all fit together? Before we have the pieces all done would be a good time to figure this out I guess...

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 21, 2004, 08:53:33 PM
Reply #161

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Today I actually got quite a bit of progress done!  I fleshed out a really nice looking new addition, and am nearly to the "vrossover walkway" portion of the map.  I would post some screens, but they just don't seem to do the cool flickering lights justice.

So I recorded a demo for your collective viewing pleasure.  The only problem is that it's over 2 megabytes in size.  If somebody could hook me up with some hosting, I'll post it right here, right now and you'll all be able to see in  full the extent of everything that I have mapped so far (I give a nice little runthrough of all the pertinent locations)

Anyways, if anyone is interested just give me a holler :)  Otherwise I shall boldly push forth and hopefully get as much done tomorrow as i did today.

June 21, 2004, 10:56:11 PM
Reply #162

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I do believe you need a copy of the map in order to view a demo, yes? So that wouldn't work out so well...

June 22, 2004, 07:34:28 AM
Reply #163

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I do believe you need a copy of the map in order to view a demo, yes? So that wouldn't work out so well...
well, I COULD upload the .bsp too.  THat might even fit on the forums.  But if that were to happen, y'all could just look for yourselves.  Which wouldn't be a bad idea except that we'd want some sort of private forum (perhaps the RS foprum?) to post it in.

Another possibility is some leetz0r could tell me how to convert a demo to .avi and we could just post that.

June 23, 2004, 07:19:41 AM
Reply #164

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'm not editing because...uhhh...I LIKE SPAM!!1!

Anyways, I've decided to send the compiled .bsp and .rad files (vie email) to anyone who wants to see what I've done so far.  In this, I was specifically thinking Bob or Uranub, for design and style purposes.  Does anybody wanna try?

June 23, 2004, 08:16:55 AM
Reply #165

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
i'll take a look at it if you don't mind sending it to people not involved in making the map since i well suck at making things for games.  anyways send it to cd2021@gmail.com
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

June 23, 2004, 08:32:22 AM
Reply #166

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
i'll take a look at it if you don't mind sending it to people not involved in making the map since i well suck at making things for games.  anyways send it to cd2021@gmail.com
Surely :)  Once I zip it, I'll send it!

*edit* Actually, once I RAR'ed it, it'll fit on the forums as an upload.  So I'll just put it right here for anyone who wants or needs it.  I'm not quite sure on the situation with the lights.rad file though - that's only used for compiling, right?  I wouldn't need to include it with the .BSP?

At any rate here it is:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:36:20 AM by Dubb »

June 23, 2004, 04:15:11 PM
Reply #167

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I think this map is reaching the point where having it's own sub forum would be a vunderba idea, that way it's not just one thread.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 23, 2004, 04:30:08 PM
Reply #168

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm remaining a bit concerned about the taping everything together point. Maybe it would be wiser to build sections off one big RMF that we pass around. Rooms could be premade, but perhaps hallways would need to be left until we have the whole thing. I'd hate to make a room too big and find out it overlaps with another room or something and then force a redesign. Should we try our luck with the jigsaw method? Or should we come up with a different plan?

June 23, 2004, 06:15:30 PM
Reply #169

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'm remaining a bit concerned about the taping everything together point. Maybe it would be wiser to build sections off one big RMF that we pass around. Rooms could be premade, but perhaps hallways would need to be left until we have the whole thing. I'd hate to make a room too big and find out it overlaps with another room or something and then force a redesign. Should we try our luck with the jigsaw method? Or should we come up with a different plan?
I'm cool with passing stuff off.  For instance - one could begin where I left off and we can just pass it around.  But for this, we're gonna need a private FTP or use gmail or something.

June 23, 2004, 07:52:07 PM
Reply #170

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
OMGmail for the win.

Another reason we should probably do the old blocky, undetailed areas thing. So we don't end up with one person hanging on to the map for weeks trying to prettify it. Yes, I said prettify.

June 23, 2004, 08:00:51 PM
Reply #171

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Allrighty then.  So who next?  Should I pass off my portion of the map? or should we continue from Deci's portion?  I warn, however - the placement of my part in the actual physical mapping grid needs to change, which means that every texture is gonna have to be realigned.  But that's gonna happen soon anyways.

Anywho, whoever wants to pick up where I left off shall receive the .RMF and the .RAD file.  Just give a holler.

June 23, 2004, 08:23:00 PM
Reply #172

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Someone want to teach me to map? :p
I'd help making vents or something if you teach me how to map :p

June 23, 2004, 11:07:48 PM
Reply #173

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Dubbz0r: Can't you just move it with texture lock on? Or will that break EVERYTHING?

Dev: It's actually not too hard. I'd just go to the map help and troubleshooting forum on ns.org, read the stickies about setting up hammer for ns, and then jump in and start playing with things to see what happens. Best way to learn.  :D

June 24, 2004, 07:53:50 AM
Reply #174

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Someone want to teach me to map? :p
I'd help making vents or something if you teach me how to map :p
Make fun of me all you want, ingrates, but I find this to be an awesome source four tutorials, etc etc: http://countermap.counter-strike.net/Tutorials/

@Bob - Texture lock  :blink:   Such a thing exists?!?!  Jeez - I'll have a look-see in hammer.

*edit*HOLY TEXTURE LOCK.  I'm not entirely sure how I've missed it this entire time, But my portion has been moved to the appropriate place.

We must continue - someone needs to volunteer to take it from me and add their portion.  From the current portion, one can go towards the marine spawn (up) or go towards the "crossover walkway" portion and the right hive (down).  But we need takers.

*edit2* Pictar added for conciseness:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 09:04:04 AM by Dubb »

June 24, 2004, 10:01:02 AM
Reply #175

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, I am itchy to start mapping sometime soon. But I'm also generally busy with lots of scrimming and such lately... Not to mention things that actually DON'T involve being in front of a computer. AHHH!

If anyone has the time or the inspiration and wants to take over, go for it. If not, I guess I'll take it by default.

June 24, 2004, 11:19:56 AM
Reply #176

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I shall spam this link in IRC.  If we have no other takers by tomorrow morning, it's all yours Bob (and don't worry - you can take your time because there ain't no hurry).

June 24, 2004, 03:14:26 PM
Reply #177

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to let the map have it's own subforum, with like a thread for each room, and a thread for layout, and a thread for ideas, and a stickied changelog, plus you could make the attachment size bigger in that subforum so the map could be 'hosted' by LB, after all it is a community map, so that could what LB puts to the effort :p <3 =3
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 24, 2004, 08:23:00 PM
Reply #178

Tombomb

• Skulk

• View Profile
i cant wait till u guys finish it plz post a beta test if u can i would love to try out a map made buy such great minds we have here in TLM

Thanks Dubb & Satiagraha for teh sweet hook up of Sig and Avatar
(Quote) Tombomb
DURPDE DUURRR????

June 25, 2004, 08:06:35 AM
Reply #179

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
And the winner is Bob!  Congratulations, my friend!  You've won an all-expenses-paid vacation to the dregs of human existence!

The mail shall be sent as soon as I RAR it  B)