Author Topic: Pandora Tomorrow  (Read 6455 times)

May 26, 2004, 08:34:35 AM
Read 6455 times

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, bought that game a while back. Not the super-great sneakfest it was hyped to be if you ask me, but pretty solid (olo Metal Gear pun!). But there's one thing that couldn't cease to annoy me: Advertisements. The game is full of advertisements. Well, not really full, but there's decidedly too many of 'em. I don't really care that the big boss (isn't he called Campbell or something? I thought that was soup?) drinks from a coffee cup prominently featuring the Ubisoft logo (which looks a lot better than their old logo, by the way). I don't care that Captain Keyes in Halo smokes a pipe featuring the Marathon logo in the intro sequence (few people even know Marathon, so most of you wouldn't even notice). But what the hell does SONY-ERICSSON have to do with a sneaking game, and why do I have to see their ads in A GAME THAT I PAID FOR?
If the game was available for free, it could be chock-full of ads for all I care. Have a flashing neon Coke ad at every street corner. I'd even have fun shooting the ad to take out yet another light that threatens to give away my presence. Heck, even if the ads would reduce the price to, say, twenty dollars, I'd be satisfied. But I'm NOT paying FULL PRICE for a game if I have to endure ads. The reason why pay-per-view is pay-per-view is because we're spared the presence of ads right? (Or is that only in Germany? I doubt it...) Here in Germany, we have two kinds of tv-channels: The public ones that we pay for through our license fees, and the private ones (which, sadly, tend to have the better program) that we pay for indirectly by watching the copious amounts of ads they wedge inbetween (and into) their shows. But for the first time, I'm PAYING to be advertised to. What a sweet deal! The customers AND the advertisers give the publisher money! Why not require a monthly fee for the game as well?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 08:36:46 AM by lolfighter »

May 26, 2004, 09:36:11 AM
Reply #1

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
well,i for one, need the guiding, benevolent hand of Media to tell me what to buy, eat, wear, consume 24/7. i've been a bit worried as of late as gaming put me into a chaotic ne'er do well world free of a pandering, advertising world. i was lost, LOST i say, on what to think about and how to evaluate my self worth vis a vis the purchase of hte latest and greatest thingamahoochie.

thank GOD the stalwart folks at Ubisoft have put ads in their games, no longer will i be playing without a net of fantastic Corporate Brainwashing usurping my mind!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

May 26, 2004, 09:48:56 AM
Reply #2

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
I don't care that Captain Keyes in Halo smokes a pipe featuring the Marathon logo in the intro sequence (few people even know Marathon, so most of you wouldn't even notice).
Thats not much of an advert, considering Bungie made Halo and Marathon. Its just an easter egg. Same with how in certain areas of Freedom Fighter you can find the Hitman logo. Same developer.

Also, consider this. Why should I pay to go to a movie to watch the main character flaunt his brand name Rollex watch? or his sony mp3 player?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 10:07:09 AM by ANeM »

May 26, 2004, 10:18:33 AM
Reply #3

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
That's crazy talk! Advertising doesn't go in games. Now proceed to your waypoint where you can pick up delicious, refreshing coca-cola!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

May 26, 2004, 12:12:46 PM
Reply #4

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
That's crazy talk! Advertising doesn't go in games. Now proceed to your waypoint where you can pick up delicious, refreshing coca-cola!
Dammit, not now Bob. Can't you see I'm busy building this McResnode?

May 26, 2004, 12:35:01 PM
Reply #5

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
anem brings back memories of McIGN

May 26, 2004, 12:41:29 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Commander!!!! Drop me a medpack, an ammopack, and a number four with cheese, biggie sized!!!

May 26, 2004, 03:33:53 PM
Reply #7

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
i have mcdonalds medpacks hehe  ^_^
-_^

May 26, 2004, 04:28:38 PM
Reply #8

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Yeah, its why I can't stand to go to a movie theater these days.

May 26, 2004, 05:47:00 PM
Reply #9

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
You know game piracy is a very big thorn in the industry's side.

Sucks that all have to suffer because of the acts of a few.

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

May 27, 2004, 10:40:51 AM
Reply #10

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Think about a reasoning like this: "Yeah, I juarezed Pandora Tomorrow, but I'm watching ads! I'm still paying in a sense! It's ok to pirate!" Ubisoft only has themselves to blame...

May 27, 2004, 03:12:17 PM
Reply #11

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
Think about a reasoning like this: "Yeah, I juarezed Pandora Tomorrow, but I'm watching ads! I'm still paying in a sense! It's ok to pirate!" Ubisoft only has themselves to blame...
People who pirate games are in that mindset when they start downloading the game.

May 27, 2004, 03:29:30 PM
Reply #12

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
Its not like the ads hinder gameplay or anything....

May 27, 2004, 06:22:22 PM
Reply #13

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
People who pirate games are in that mindset when they start downloading the game.
broad generalizations are always wrong

you forgot to mention the crackers who (almost) without fail will put something like "support good games: buy it if you like it" in their .nfos

and a large portion of pirates end up buying the game, they seem to want a demo sans "BUY THIS GAEM OLOLOLO" stamped all over it

May 27, 2004, 09:43:32 PM
Reply #14

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
I pirate all the time. And I NEVER feel bad for it. Know why? The people who work on the game don't get anything out of sales. My roommate worked on goblin commander 2 quake expansions (extremities and zaero) and Gore. I talked to him about it and he says they don't see one extra dime out of it because they make it, not sell it.

Also, if I feel the game is worth while I buy it just because I like owning the shiney case and manual :p.
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

May 28, 2004, 08:52:30 AM
Reply #15

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
This reminds me of Dredd Vs Death. I think it was that game at least. Basically, it was full of Red Bull. Everywhere you goddamn went there were cases of Red Bull and cans about. It made me go "EEYYYYYYAAAARRGGGGGHHHHHH'... in my mind.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

May 28, 2004, 09:34:39 AM
Reply #16

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, Wipeout XL for the PS1 was exactly the same. Racing game coated with red bull ads. I think even the loading screen inbetween courses had a red bull ad on it. Geesh!

May 28, 2004, 10:29:33 AM
Reply #17

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
My brother's friend drank 4 red bulls the other day and he repeatedly jumped down his 8 stair deck on his skateboard.

May 28, 2004, 11:51:51 AM
Reply #18

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
i remember when that somewhat new 007 movie came out

OLO ADJUSTIBLE RAZAR!1212!@!2122121!!!!!!!!!@1
BOND SETS HIZ TO 7 ... 007 OLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL

those were annoying (that and the only reason there was an entire scene with bond shaving was so that they could get the guys who made the shaver to pay them)

May 28, 2004, 01:48:13 PM
Reply #19

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
My brother's friend drank 4 red bulls the other day and he repeatedly jumped down his 8 stair deck on his skateboard.
Were they like big steps?

My friends records was in steps was around 12, one of the nice [incedental] skating stares down at UCD, if you have tony hawk 2 you can see the "vine gap" which is like some 30 feet attempting to be jumped in one of the extra videos.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.