Author Topic: Suggestions For Ns  (Read 8214 times)

May 18, 2004, 04:52:09 PM
Read 8214 times

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Ok, here's what I would like to try, gathering a selection of GOOD suggestions for NS
I'll then compile this to a few places, and post it to the NS forums as a PDF.

I'm hoping if we get enough of the good ones together, maybe we can get someone to listen to use (Having a nicely formatted list without the nubs spamming it will also help)

When you post, I'd like to see it like this if you suggest something
Feel free to discuss, but try not to spam
Team: (Marines/Alien)
Short (1-2 line) Description
Explanation as to why we should have it (Not too long, but long enough)

I'll start:
Aliens
Bring Lerk spikes back
The alien team currently lacks any good long-range weapon.  They have spit and acid rocket.  Spit is on an alien not designed for fighting, and has a slow RoF/minimal damage.  Acid rocket isn't available until the third hive, and it is not very effective.  For the fade to use acid rocket, it has no ability to blick away, as all its energy is used for 3 acid rockets.

Marines
Nerf electrifcation damage
Electrifying a res node should not mean that it is unkillable, without a serious investment of time and res.  Aliens have no way to kill it, until they get fades.  This disrupts the res flow, as aliens need res to take down marine RT's, but they can't get res until they kill marine RT's.  Catch-22.

Note: If you aren't suggesting stuff, don't put the team and stuff, so its easy for me to pick the suggestions out
Note2: I'm looking for small changes that would help NS, I'm not looking for things that will alter gameplay in any way
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 05:33:07 PM by devicenull »

May 18, 2004, 04:56:47 PM
Reply #1

FallenAngel

• Lerker

• View Profile
Marine
Reduce Electricity Range
Currently a skulk running by a electrified RT can get shocked from something like 5 feet away(guess) it shouldn't do that.

May 18, 2004, 05:05:15 PM
Reply #2

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Marine and Alien
Mini map showing structures under attack

Sometimes just the red blip for an alien, especailly one who doesn't know the map isn't enough and it if you can't see the blip it makes it even harder to get there, aliens need to make the most of the mini map.

As a comm i hate having to grab someone, give them a WP to an rt and say "skulk there" "fade there" "save that rt" etc etc. I think having a way to show structures under attack, particulary RT would be really useful. Also maybe it'll teach new players that defending RTs is important.

Marine
Weld me

An idea from the ns forums, a marine line slectable from the popup box or whatever that says "weld me" and then a little symbol appears above your head so people know when you need welding. Right now you have to run up to people with a welder and jump to get their attention.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

May 18, 2004, 05:20:19 PM
Reply #3

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Alien
Show range of chamber effects
This makes it easier, if say a colored circle is drawn on the minimap to indicate the range of a specific chamber.  This makes it easier to see where holes are in sensory networks, and allows strategic placement of defense and movement chambers, to provide a maximum area of effect for all lifeforms.

Marine
Sensor sweep request button
Just give the marines the ability to request sensor sweeps, instead of having to shout at the comm to get his attention.  By the time you get the comm's attention, your dead.

Very good to the people who posted, you get the idea :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 05:50:34 PM by devicenull »

May 18, 2004, 06:42:50 PM
Reply #4

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Aliens
Bring Lerk spikes back
The alien team currently lacks any good long-range weapon.  They have spit and acid rocket.  Spit is on an alien not designed for fighting, and has a slow RoF/minimal damage.  Acid rocket isn't available until the third hive, and it is not very effective.  For the fade to use acid rocket, it has no ability to blick away, as all its energy is used for 3 acid rockets.

i disagree with aliens needing more / better ranged weapons. what defines natural selection to me is that marines = ranged, aliens = melee. to me both should dominate their area of expertise, if i wanted ranged vs. ranged, i'd play.... ANY other fps.

edit
all other suggestions pwnt and are deserving of pai  :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 06:44:58 PM by fatty »

May 19, 2004, 01:10:40 AM
Reply #5

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
make the fade not a 3 min wave of death......

May 19, 2004, 02:52:22 AM
Reply #6

Gadzuko

• Lerker

• View Profile
Aliens
Bring Lerk spikes back
The alien team currently lacks any good long-range weapon.  They have spit and acid rocket.  Spit is on an alien not designed for fighting, and has a slow RoF/minimal damage.  Acid rocket isn't available until the third hive, and it is not very effective.  For the fade to use acid rocket, it has no ability to blick away, as all its energy is used for 3 acid rockets.

i disagree with aliens needing more / better ranged weapons. what defines natural selection to me is that marines = ranged, aliens = melee. to me both should dominate their area of expertise, if i wanted ranged vs. ranged, i'd play.... ANY other fps.

edit
all other suggestions pwnt and are deserving of pai  :)
Tell you what - replace the shotgun with an assault rifle of some kind, and we'll call it a deal.  Until then, the marines are still the masters of both long and short range combat.

May 19, 2004, 08:36:02 AM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Excellent point Gadzuko. The marines are the masters of long range (or, well, medium range), but do also have access to a great close range weapon. The Lerk needs his spikes back to give the aliens the same freedom of choice.

May 19, 2004, 09:58:29 AM
Reply #8

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Excellent point Gadzuko. The marines are the masters of long range (or, well, medium range), but do also have access to a great close range weapon. The Lerk needs his spikes back to give the aliens the same freedom of choice.

I wasnt around in the days were lerks had spikes. what exactly does it do?

May 19, 2004, 10:09:41 AM
Reply #9

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It's a high-ish rate of fire weapon (higher than spit or acid rocket, lower than lmg. Three or four shots per second I think) that does damage. That's it, really. It's an instant hit weapon (like lmgs, pistols and the like) meaning you can't sidestep the projectiles in flight. I usually used it in conjunction with spores (in 2.x, spikes were the first and spores the second weapon for Lerks): Spore the marines, then spike 'em when they run away. I loved my spikes.
They were worthless in a direct shootout (lmg does way more damage), but they were great for taking down marines that were occupied with other things (fleeing spores, fighting/dodging skulks, trying to take down OCs). Especially if you could master the art of flying and spiking simultaneously (which may have been significantly easier with the old flight model).
They were kinda useless on their own, but worked great in conjunction with other weapons/lifeforms: A spiking Lerk was a good diversion while skulks sneaked up on the distracted marines. Or attacking skulks were a good distraction while a sneaky Lerk spiked the marines from behind. I loved my spikes.

May 19, 2004, 10:55:53 AM
Reply #10

Golgothaa

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://ehs.lps.org/biz/kahle/mainpage.htm
i sometimes think lerks need more life, sometimes i dont, its odd really, sometimes they get blown to pieces, sometimes they NEVER FREAKING DIE lol. they do need a bit more armor or health though since their main attack is a bite not a spiked long range attack.
"Thank God I'm An Atheist"
WTF?! STEW FOO
"mmm You Touch my Tra laa laa, mmmm My Ding Ding Dong"

May 19, 2004, 10:58:16 AM
Reply #11

Golgothaa

• Skulk

• View Profile
Fixing the Fade

Yes even though this is bugged it needs to be FIXED/CHANGED, the infamous building/crouching bug, it annoys me so much sometimes, i sneak up on a fade attacking a building with a shotty, and i blow 4 blasts into his ass after hes been hit by turrets and he doesnt die and i can see some of my shots dont hit because of the stupid hitbox error. sometimes i just wanna go up and knife him because ill have a better chance of hitting him.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 10:58:41 AM by Golgothaa »
WTF?! STEW FOO

May 19, 2004, 11:08:36 AM
Reply #12

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I really miss spikes as well.  Oddly enough, one of the reasons they cited for taking out spikes is the main reason I want it back in: "Spikes was useless against heavies, bite gives them something to attack HA with."  Bite against HA is nice against noobs or GLs, and HMGs sometimes, but most skilled players will shred a lerk with a SG who gets close.  Spikes, although the damage was slight against HA, really was an effective weapon, as it kept constant pressure on the trains for welding.  Also, since they're such slow moving targets, you could do it from miles away - 2 seconds of spiking equaled about a skulk bite.  It sounds small, but when you're doing it constantly for a minute, it adds up, and forces them to concentrate on welding more.  Spikes gave the aliens something to balance out marine ownage in large places, like Refinery hive in bast.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

May 19, 2004, 11:21:35 AM
Reply #13

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Aye. I had a clan game (back when I still was in a clan) on umm, ns_nothing I think (the one with cargo, power silo and viaduct hives). We'd lost all our hives and only three of us were alive, all Lerks. Since it was a tournament game we didn't suffer from ping of death, and with regeneration for everyone and a bunch of DCs hidden in redroom we were stubbornly holding out on top of the viaduct bridge. Down below, heavies were shooting at us from the floor above the hive, with us spiking back. We survived for quite a while (I started singing "Stayin' Alive" over voicecomm), and managed to take down two of the heavies before they came at us with jetpacks and killed the other two. I almost made it to powersilo before being cut off by a shotgunner...
So yeah, the spikes rule.

May 19, 2004, 12:33:57 PM
Reply #14

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Marines
have some way to safely and securely give certain equip to certain players.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

May 19, 2004, 12:47:32 PM
Reply #15

Golgothaa

• Skulk

• View Profile
just thought of a really good point, reasons they probably took spikes away is it was too powerful, because of a decent long ranged attack and adren and regen, maybe even a dc chamber in the vent, they would be unkillable till jps were available and they could shoot marines outside of vents, and with regen they never had to worry about medpacs or welding. Though nowadays i really do think lerks are useless against a heavy train because they would die so fast, with spike they could actually do something without losing 30 res lol. and spore is out of the picture. i sorta think they should make umbra last longer, put it in slot 4, and then give slot 3 spikes, and take out rage. Rage is nice, just not something as useful as like charge for the 4th ability.
WTF?! STEW FOO

May 19, 2004, 02:26:40 PM
Reply #16

FallenAngel

• Lerker

• View Profile
I think spikes should be put in but i think the lerk abilities should be
1.Spike
2.Bite
3.Umbra
4.Spore
Now thats just my opinion.
GO GO Spikes!

May 19, 2004, 02:40:37 PM
Reply #17

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I think spikes should be put in but i think the lerk abilities should be
1.Spike
2.Bite
3.Umbra
4.Spore
Now thats just my opinion.
GO GO Spikes!
It should probably be the other way around, though, it wouldn't make sense to lose the last hive and suddenly lost the ability to bite, while still being able to create spikes from who knows where...

But yeah... primal scream is cool and all, but meh...

Flayra's been throwing the idea of spumbra around for a while too to possibly put spikes back in.

I suppose we're beginning to hijack this thread, sorry dev... ^_^
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

May 19, 2004, 11:37:47 PM
Reply #18

Avs

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Aliens

Add resources needed to gestate/drop structures/evolve next to the pull out tab menus.

Allow movement chambers to cycle inbetween hives like phase gates.

->As for spikes well, I saw them as really overpowered as you could spike marines quickly to death from really far distances.

Marines

Allow marines who are spectating (while dead) to see what the commander is doing: Ie. dropping buildings/weapons/etc.

If the aliens should get a radius marker for structures for D/O/S/M structures, marines should recieve the same radius type markers for turrets/electrifications/armorys/prototypes in game.

Waypoints that work [They disappear if you touch them and are smaller or more transparent as you near them as to not block your vision].
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 03:04:29 AM by Avs »
Avs

May 20, 2004, 02:10:24 AM
Reply #19

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
make the fade not a 3 min wave of death......
AFAIK This is all thats needed to be done.

The game is fine at the moment apart from Fades appearing and then just diappearing before ytou can do anything. And don't say OMG BLOCK IT. That doesn't work. Unless you have 5 Heavies blocking or something.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 02:11:11 AM by Venmoch »

FIX THIS!