Author Topic: Thinking Of Making A Co Map...  (Read 8288 times)

May 09, 2004, 12:51:01 PM
Read 8288 times

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
What would you think if I made a combat map which was purely marines attacking and aliens defending?

The CC would be hidden out of the map so the aliens could not hurt it.
I would give the marines unbuilt TF/turrets they could construct when the map loads to reduce alien attacks and spawncamping.
I may even ponder with giving the marines DC hidden under the floor in MS which would heal them, the armory, TF and turrets too which would make aliens not wanna attack even more :lol:

and please, dont think about nubpai lamers that would camp. Think about it being played on LM with good players that wont do that :p
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 12:55:34 PM by A Boojum Snark »

May 09, 2004, 01:05:18 PM
Reply #1

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
That would be kind of cool. You'd have to make it so the aliens had an established "base," and they could only heal it -- not add structures.

Exterminate the alien menace! >:D
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

May 09, 2004, 01:13:18 PM
Reply #2

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I could, but I think marines have enough trouble attacking as it is (dont really know how it would work in this, aliens are always on the offensive in normal CO <_<)

Not to mention you couldnt build sieges so a fortified base may be too tough.

Oh yea, one last thing, when I was testing CO things a little while ago I came across a problem... OCs do not shoot in CO :(

May 09, 2004, 04:42:08 PM
Reply #3

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
Yamazaki suggested a similar idea in #ns-staff yesterday. So yeah, it's a good idea. And it might make it into NS proper.

May 09, 2004, 04:42:58 PM
Reply #4

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Id rather have the CC so that at least some of the aliens dont spawn camp when they reach the marine start,

May 09, 2004, 04:43:11 PM
Reply #5

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Actually, this sounds to be a rather awesome idea.  But tell me this - what hapens if a herd of onii rush into the marine spawn, demolish th paltry turrent defenses, and spawncamp the livelong day?

Seeing as hw there's absolutely no other way for the kharaa to win other than waiting that certain amount of time.

In conlusion, this could truly lead to much laming and bloodshed unless planned to the point of utter perfection.

But for starters, how would you remedy this situation?

May 09, 2004, 04:47:14 PM
Reply #6

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
this sounds like a great idea for a combat map

so i say go for it
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

May 09, 2004, 04:50:13 PM
Reply #7

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
UK: yes, but if you have the CC then people will attack for the purpose of attacking it.

Dubb: not sure, I'll have to ponder on that as I work. I am thinking though that with the camping prevention at low levels by the time there are oni the marines will also be heavily outfitted and always on the offensive.

May 09, 2004, 04:53:35 PM
Reply #8

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
People attack MS because they have pushed the marines right back to their spawn ad want to rack up more kills. Taking the CC out wont change this.

May 09, 2004, 07:34:46 PM
Reply #9

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, if it does make it to NS proper, then onos could always be disabled so you couldn't evolve to that. So then there would be just fades (and lower); then it wouldn't be impossible for marines to complete their mission.

EDIT: I told you replies would start comin' Snark.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 07:35:45 PM by Malevolent »

May 10, 2004, 12:20:53 AM
Reply #10

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
ogm pictarz. I got 2 pictures of marine start here. Currently it has 1 armory, 1 RT, 1 TF (under the grate in the floor for protection), and 5 turrets. The CC is stuck inside one of the elevated areas. Combat MSs always look so bland, so I'm trying to make one that looks more like an MS in NS ^_^

May 10, 2004, 12:22:08 AM
Reply #11

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile

May 10, 2004, 12:37:30 AM
Reply #12

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
ogm those pictarz are great snark keep up the good work
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

May 10, 2004, 04:22:48 AM
Reply #13

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Look at the red turrets! :o

May 10, 2004, 06:03:00 PM
Reply #14

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
looks nice,

to counter the  spawn camping issue you could make it so thatt if no marines are alive the cc is crushed by a func _door.

to do it: trigger_presence: if no rines on map-> multimanager: xseconds trigger multisource with the trigger_presnece

then the door is triggered along with gametext taht says: "spawn camp likely. cc is being crushed" or somehting and wham bam thank you ma'am.

you could build in a shut off too that if no marine exters a ceratin area near teh cc in x seconds it is crushed to prevent freak accidents.
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

May 10, 2004, 06:25:12 PM
Reply #15

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Hmm, thats a good idea, buuuut.... then the aliens may try to kill all the marines to win like that. So I dunno... :|

May 10, 2004, 07:24:41 PM
Reply #16

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
that's why you'd have a trial period before the actual crushing of the CC, if a marine goes into the "disarm" area (some place near the CC) then it will disarm the crushing. Of course, this would have to be not to easily accessible to prevent a rine sprinting to it while the aliens try to kill him so they don't have to wait more, thus prolonging the game.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

May 11, 2004, 07:32:39 AM
Reply #17

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Except that it shouldn't be kept that obvious. More like "Human presence terminated. Hostile lifeform overflow detected. Iniating self-destruct sequence."

May 12, 2004, 02:27:07 PM
Reply #18

Tombomb

• Skulk

• View Profile
I really like the looks of the map keep up teh good workige!

Thanks Dubb & Satiagraha for teh sweet hook up of Sig and Avatar
(Quote) Tombomb
DURPDE DUURRR????

May 29, 2004, 10:41:13 PM
Reply #19

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Or you could scrap the whole turrets idea and put in a separate spawn room, as someone suggested before, that could be above the MS and you would go down tubes or shafts which have a trigger_push so then no skulks can get up it, but the marines would have a choice which shaft to go down and could suprise campers olll. They also suggested making it so that you could see through the top but not the bottom, allowing you to choose the best shaft to go down.

Of course, this whole concept is no fun, I like turrets in CO :D.

I reveal penis I know psychology.