Author Topic: Hubris Reckoning  (Read 1856 times)

April 21, 2004, 08:41:47 PM
Read 1856 times

Torque2k7

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
I wrote this about three years ago and never went anywhere with it, but that won't stop me from sending it to the masses. = P

*Edit* The neccesary conversational tabs appeard in the window i copy/pasted to, but for some reason the tabs died as I posted.  Sorry, I hope it's not too confusing without correct grammatical conversation tabs.

CHAPTER ONE

Alarm klaxons sounded as phalanx leader Jace Hovic hastily closed the cockpit on his J-72 Basilisk fighter.  As he flipped the necessary preflight switches, he opened a communications link to the bridge.  “Venom one, ready to go and in the green.”  
He received an answering hail immediately, “Affirmative venom lead, stand down and wait for launch clearance.”  Jace sighed.  Standing 6 foot 5 with short brown hair and greenish brown eyes, Jace looked like a model off a recruiting poster, except for a V shaped birthmark eclipsing his right eye and running up past his eyebrow.  He knew he could easily get it removed, but frugally decided to spend his less-than-desirable military salary elsewhere.  Jace flipped a couple of switches on his fighter and tuned in to his squadron frequency  …ity says to me “why don’t you go get a couple of d’ravants and-“
“Cut it out five, that joke’s not funny anymore” said the feminine voice of Venom seven.  “Anyway, if you spent as much time piloting as you did chasing women, you could fly rings around me, or even Hovic.”
“I’m not so sure about that seven.”
“Sorry sir, I didn’t know you were listening.”
“You weren’t supposed to. All right group, cut the chatter and stand by for launch; unfocused minds make dead pilots, and I don’t want to see anyone die today.”
“Sir,” broke in the metallic voice of Jace’s wingmate Venom two “any idea what we’re up against?”
“Probably the standard pirate base, two.  We won’t know until we jump in system.”
   “Great…. I hate incomplete intel.”
   “Me too, but if we scouted the area at all they would have known we were coming, and we would have lost the element of surprise.”
   "Please don't lecture me on tactics commander"
   Jace grinned.  He never missed an opportunity to wheedle his cyborg friend.  The ship shuddered suddenly as a voice cut in, “Venom phalanx, launch.”
   Jace keyed his comm “Affirmative.  Launching.”  Switching comm frequencies he clicked again "Venom phalanx, launch!"  A chorus of acknowledges greeted him.  He flipped a switch and suddenly felt five times heavier as his fighter streaked through the launch tube.   “Shields up, wings deployed Venom” He got a quick response from everyone as his phalanx complied.
   Looking very similar to a big +, Basilisks have a streamlined cockpit mounted on engines with two vertical and two horizontal wings fused to the back and mounted with every kind of energy weapon imaginable.  Coupled with heavy shields and a powerful reactor, Copperheads possess the highest attributes of all fighters.  They are widely renowned as the fastest, strongest, most maneuverable, deadliest, and by far, the most expensive.
   “Duds inbound.  Break by pairs and engage.” Known formally as an SJ74 Shrike, duds have always been one of the cheapest models of fighters available to almost anyone with a little cash.  With just a cockpit mounted against an engine pod and two lasers spot welded to the hull, duds are always a welcome sight to the opposition.
   Jace smiled as Venom two stuck to him with near perfect precision, “Two, I’ve got that quad at your 9 o’clock.  You can grab the leftovers.”
   “Acknowledged, lead” came the emotionless metallic voice of Two.
Jace dove and snap-rolled to the left, giving him a perfect broadside shot on the leader of four duds.  He fired.  Two white-hot lances of pure energy burned through the lead dud’s fuselage even as Jace fired at the second dud.  He hit just below the engines and it corkscrewed out of control and exploded brilliantly.  
Jace hurriedly keyed his comm, “Two, follow me.  I’ve got the third one, you get the fourth.”  Two acknowledged with a double click on the comlink.  
The two duds had already wheeled about and were now heading towards Jace.  Jace grimaced and smiled.  Amateurs.  He put 90% of his shields forward and prepared for the easiest head-to-head of his life.  The duds came in firing as energy beams splashed off his shields in a torrent making his HUD flicker.  Calmly he switched to his gamma lance and directed it at the leader.  
Gamma lances, developed to inflict damage on much larger vessels, normally are not effective against starfighters simply because starfighters are entirely too maneuverable.  Jace hoped these green pilots didn't have radiation indicators and kept the beam firmly fixed on the leader.
The Dud seemed unaffected at first, then its angular edges began to recede and deform as it hurtled towards its opponent.  Soon, it was nothing more than a glob of liquid metal and flesh.  Jace dove under the glob and saw a second one flash past.
“Good shooting Two.  You have the lead.”
Jace moved in behind Two and assessed the situation.  His cruiser the Judicator was holding the perimeter and letting the fighters subdue the pirates.  He expanded his sensors and took note of the gas giant in the system and the moon labeled Expeditionary Satellite M2398 where the pirates had obviously constructed their base of operations.  "You coming one?"  Two's voice sounded amused.
Jace, properly chagrined, dove back into the fray.

CHAPTER TWO

Standing over his executive officer's shoulders, Admiral Fyair gazed over at his subordinate’s console.
   "Battle status. Any losses?"
   The XO, informally known as Rejin, answered in a hurried, professional manner, "None so far sir.  The opposition's pirates are exceptionally green, and seem to have little to no combat experience whatsoever.  There have been no transmissions from Expeditionary Satellite M2398."
   Fyair seemed amused.  "Very well, have the fighters continue the attack.  We will move in on the base.  Have sensors report immediately if they detect any energy spikes or targeting systems."   Rejin keyed his comm and a man across the bridge gave an affirming nod.  "Oh, and you really don't have to call the thing Expeditionary Satellite M2398, moon or base will do just fine"  
   Rejin smiled slightly.  "Of course admiral."
   The Judicator cruised in relative silence until, minutes later, it moved in range of the pirate base.  
   “Rejin, open a comm channel with the base”
   The XO moved to comply, and then paused, “Sir, we have no idea what comm frequency the pirates are using.”
   “Just transmit in a wide frequency spectrum, focusing the transmission at the moon”
   “Yes, sir.”
   Admiral Fyair cleared his throat and pulled himself up to his full height, “Unlawful denizens of outer rim cluster M2398, your recent attacks upon Imperium space and major shipping and commercial lanes have made the option of your organization's continued existence moot.  Surrender your forces and I may spare your lives.”
   “Admiral, Incoming transmission.”
   Fyair turned to his bridge crew, “Thank you.  Put it on the main screen.”
   The starfield in front of the admiral abruptly vanished as another image wavered into existence.
   “Ah admiral Fyair, so good to see you again.”
   Fyair’s breath caught in his throat.  Before him floated the image of Xiras Devron, an image he hoped to never again lay eyes on.  Before he disappeared, Xiras was the best and brightest officer in fleet command.  He created and executed new and inventive tactics, quickly assuring his rise to the top.  Once his position as Fleet Commander was assured, his ambition quickly drove him insane as there was nothing left to achieve.  Dissatisfied with his position as the single most powerful man in existence, Xiras left the service, disappearing into the outer regions unheard from until now.
 Xiras’s extremely light blue eyes gazed back at Fyair, hinting at the incredible genius and driving insanity behind them.  “I’m pleased to see that command sent you after me Fyair.  I have been without a challenge for quite some time.”
“A challenge, Xiras?  I am your executor.  This is madness. Surrender now, and I may spare your life.”
Xiras smiled slightly, “Please Fyair, there is no need for bluster between us.  I have been preparing for your arrival for quite some time.  If you leave now, I will destroy you later.  If you continue to press this engagement, your ship, and your crew, will be forfeit.”  Xiras paused to let the last phrase sink in, and then said, “On second thought, I think I will kill you now.  Phoenix base, out.”
Fyair forced himself back to life, “Helm, recall the fighters! Give me everything you’ve got.  I want us out of this system!
“We’re not engaging sir? It’s obvious he’s bluffing.”
“No, Rejin,  I’m not taking that chance.  Never engage a reputable enemy on his own turf.”
Across the bride, an officer abruptly jumped up from his console, “Sir! Multiple harbinger missiles inbound!”
Fyair glanced at his console, “Helm, full right rudder.  Engage all tracking systems.  Fire at will!”
The Judicator swiveled its massive bulk to present the largest target to the onrushing missiles.  It also brought over 500 anti-projectile systems to bear on the volley of harbingers.  Suddenly a literal wall of fire erupted from the Judicator as wave after wave of tracers flew towards the missiles.
“Sir, the harbingers won’t stand a chance.”
“I know XO. This makes me uneasy.  Helm, take us to flank speed. I want us away from those launchers.  What’s the status of the fighters?”
“Almost here sir.  Once they dock we can jump outsystem.”
The Judicator shuddered to life as it began to parallel the moon’s surface at a rapid clip.
Suddenly, the Judicator shuddered to a screeching halt, engines still at full power.
“XO! What’s happening!” Fyair screamed as he pulled himself up from his undignified position sprawled on the floor.
“Sir!” another officer shouted, “We appear to be caught in some sort of mass projection field.  It’s coming from the large crater at our three o’clock!”
“Guns let it have everything!” Fyair ordered.  Immediately,  destructive energy rained down upon the crater, and stopped abruptly three klicks above it.
“Trask Akla! There is apparently a large energy shield as well.  We can’t punch through it!”
“That’s impossible!” Fyair exclaimed, “This is a Korolev class Assault Cruiser! We have more power at our disposal than a small sun!  Continue firing!”
Waves upon waves rained down upon the shield, creating an incredibly beautiful display of deadly energy.  

*Decided to go to class and never finished*

Eventually, the "villan" aka the most brilliant commander in existance will be explained as the guy who got to the top, got bored, and decided to hook up with a pirate group to take over everything he took over before...thus setting the stage for actual plot, which obviously hasn't been presented yet ;)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 08:44:51 PM by Torque2k7 »
22kb is the max sig size allowed, yours is 55kb. - DHP