Author Topic: Lm.org Image?  (Read 7926 times)

April 11, 2004, 06:47:45 PM
Read 7926 times

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Well, I don't even know if LB will run maps modded by ripent, but I might as well make them because its fun to play with.
Anyway.. could someone make me a lunixmonster image? Here are the requirements:
256x256 or less + dimensions must be divisible by 8
256 colors, with last one being the transparent color
readable from a distance
I'd prefer no background, instead make the background transparent.
Has to have "Lunixmonster.org" somewhere on it.. maybe make the .org a different color?

It's going to be transformed into a SPR file, and *hopefully* put on all the NS maps LM.org runs

Lets see some cool ones :)

Edit: Maybe one with the rules listed?
and it doesnt have to be the last transparent.. if you've ever made HL spr files before, it can be any I can do in SprWiz.exe
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 06:52:40 PM by devicenull »

April 11, 2004, 09:29:27 PM
Reply #1

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
LB better not ever start using Ripent. It not only disgraces a mapmakers work, but it's complete and utter disrespect because it basically tells the mapmaker 'You don't know what you're doing, and I'm a server admin, I'm smarter then you."

April 11, 2004, 11:25:42 PM
Reply #2

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
As a mapper, though, I'd not be opposed to the application this would be used for - adding a server logo and short rules summation to the readyroom.
God, I'm old.

April 12, 2004, 06:28:40 AM
Reply #3

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ripent is a mixed bag. It's not purely malicious intent that causes people to use it. Sometimes there's just a limit on the available resources, and ripent can help to alleviate the pressure on the server somewhat. Most people, if given the choice, will willingly sacrifice a little eye-candy if it improves performance.
Ripent should not be used if it can be avoided, and only sparingly. I don't know what I should think of adding your server logo to a map. On one hand, you're tinkering with the intellectual property of somebody else, and maybe that's the bottom line. It's a tough call.

April 12, 2004, 12:41:26 PM
Reply #4

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
RipEnt used to be used on pisspoor crappyass servers that couldn't even run hera. It'd rip out the fog sprites, particle effects, etc. etc. The mapper put them there FOR A REASON. If your server can't run the map, then you do not run the map.

April 12, 2004, 12:48:57 PM
Reply #5

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I really didn't think anyone would have a problem with what I was doing..
I would never modify one of the maps in a way that said I didn't like what the mapper was doing.
You saw what I did with my starcraft map.. I wouldn't let anyone edit it.. I know what happens when people start modifying maps..
Tbh, I would never have a problem with someone putting a simple image of the server hosting it in any of my maps.. I couldn't ever see why someone would have a problem with that..
In no way did I change any of the gameplay of the map.. its pretty easy to remove the logo.. and we are redistributing the maps to anyone "claming" we did them.
If Flay ever gets the MOTD box working, we wouldnt have that problem... but *noone* looks in their console when they join the server, meaning *noone* reads the rules of the server..

U235 - How is putting a simple logo in the map saying what the mapper did is bad... I'm not modifying any part of the map, just instering a logo.. Would it be worth that one logo, if people actually read the rules of the server?

I'm attaching the one esuna made me, so tell me what you think

April 12, 2004, 01:23:43 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
And I've seen some fun uses of ripent in other mods to convert maps from another mod to make them playable. Sometimes with the author's permission and sometimes not. But I never saw anything wrong with borrowing a map from one mod and converting the player starts and weapon drops to make it playable in another. It's just spreading the mapper's work around.

But that's neither here nor there. Putting the rules in the RR doesn't bother me too much. Just don't cover up anything too pretty with them.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

April 12, 2004, 02:07:24 PM
Reply #7

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
how bout admins use it as a spray?
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

April 12, 2004, 02:08:54 PM
Reply #8

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
And part with my beloved 'hidden sensory chamber' spray?

Also, running around spraying the rules on random walls just seems a LITTLE odd...

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

April 12, 2004, 02:16:28 PM
Reply #9

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
what about assigning a texture to a space in the RR, and then making it like a spray, i.e. it got its file from the server, and made everyone else download it.
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

April 12, 2004, 02:17:52 PM
Reply #10

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
A spray is pretty odd
I'm putting them places where it doesnt block anything, and if I can't find anywhere, it just floats in the middle of the RR
Anyway, LB said no, so you don't have to worry about it
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 02:50:51 PM by devicenull »

April 12, 2004, 09:23:35 PM
Reply #11

ThoraX

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
And I've seen some fun uses of ripent in other mods to convert maps from another mod to make them playable. Sometimes with the author's permission and sometimes not. But I never saw anything wrong with borrowing a map from one mod and converting the player starts and weapon drops to make it playable in another. It's just spreading the mapper's work around.
That brings back memories on my old clan ns server. We had a version of de_dust that had been converted to be a fully functional ns map. It actually worked pretty well and was fun to play on.
This is going to be some kind of reunion, isn't it?

April 13, 2004, 12:25:37 PM
Reply #12

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
where can one find this map?
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

April 13, 2004, 05:11:56 PM
Reply #13

ThoraX

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
not sure. if I still have my old ns1.04 folder then I could root though it to see it it's there.
This is going to be some kind of reunion, isn't it?