Author Topic: Parasiting Eggs  (Read 4978 times)

April 11, 2004, 11:17:28 AM
Read 4978 times

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Well Arch told me to read about why its bad to do in the forums, i couldn't find the topic so im putting one here. Im just wondering why everyone gets mad when your egging and someone parasitis you? isnt it just the same as a marine shooting a pistol shot into another marine? or a gorge spitting a skulk and not healing him?. I wasnt in the big convtreversy so im just wondering. Please list me why everyone gets mad and admins temp ban some one for doing it? Im just wondering :huh:  (no, i only got a warning not tb'd or anything ty arch for having mercy on me)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 11:28:40 AM by Diablus »

April 11, 2004, 11:26:26 AM
Reply #1

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I don't mind if someone hurts me near an DC/Hive or heals me after, but if they don't it can be pretty annoying,
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

April 11, 2004, 11:37:35 AM
Reply #2

Magmatron

• Onos

• View Profile
Besides the fact that it can lead to people doing bigger things in terms of TKing, and is downright annoying, and let's not forget that we like to have black and white rules when we can, I'm sick of spectating somebody to look for something only to have to deal with a nice big yellow ring blocking most of what I should be seeing. It forces me to go into third person, which can make it difficult to spot something I need to be looking for, such as a wallhack. Parasiting just annoys people, and then those people come to Ness and ask him why he's letting aliens team damage eachother, and then Ness gets to leave his current game and spec you guys for some inane reason. Just stop parasiting other aliens. It's totally useless, and just creates problems. We've said it enough, really.

TyrNem...blah blah blah

April 11, 2004, 11:45:27 AM
Reply #3

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Parasiting someone wouldn't be very bad at all if all it did was damage, but unfortunately, it also, well, parasites them. I know I don't like having the words "Parasited" on the bottem of my screen, but most annoying of all is specing someone and not being able to see because of this giant yellow circle around them. As for shooting a pistol bullet into another marine, I think that that's bad too, if intentional. I mean, I understand if I pop around a corner and you accidentally shoot me, or if I'm in the line of fire (although you should learn to watch your shooting). But If I'm sitting in MS humping the armory or building something, and you shoot me, I think that that should be treated like a skulk parasiting others.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

April 11, 2004, 12:04:22 PM
Reply #4

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I mean, I understand if I pop around a corner and you accidentally shoot me, or if I'm in the line of fire (although you should learn to watch your shooting).
Maybe you should learn not to run in front of your teammates when they're shooting.  :p

On Topic: I agree that parasites aren't a big deal when you playing IF (big if) you can instantly be healed of the damage. But if it impedes a spectator view, then let's by all means not do it. After all, this game was created to be watched, not played  /sarcasm  :lol:

Really on Topic: To me, it is annoying to be pegged by teammates with a parasite. And if someone thinks it's okay to para someone, then they might begin to "play bite" too, and then it'll get out of hand.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

April 11, 2004, 01:15:16 PM
Reply #5

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Parasiting teammates, or knifing them, or what have you, while not as bad as blantant TKing, is still INCREDIBLY ANNOYING. It's the game equivalent of walking up to someone and sticking a finger in their face and saying "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you! OOOOH OOOOOOH !! I'm not touching you!"

It's just immature behaviour and we don't need that, ESPECIALLY from our beloved and valued reserved slotters.  ;)

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

April 11, 2004, 01:17:05 PM
Reply #6

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Parasiting someone wouldn't be very bad at all if all it did was damage, but unfortunately, it also, well, parasites them. I know I don't like having the words "Parasited" on the bottem of my screen, but most annoying of all is specing someone and not being able to see because of this giant yellow circle around them. As for shooting a pistol bullet into another marine, I think that that's bad too, if intentional. I mean, I understand if I pop around a corner and you accidentally shoot me, or if I'm in the line of fire (although you should learn to watch your shooting). But If I'm sitting in MS humping the armory or building something, and you shoot me, I think that that should be treated like a skulk parasiting others.
I think it is worse if someone shoot you, becasue that hurts the armor and need to be welded to get back. Armor for aliens gets healed by the Hive,

And i didn't know that you see the Parasite sprite when you are spectationg people, then I understand that it is annoying.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

April 11, 2004, 04:46:37 PM
Reply #7

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
*shrug*

I've never minded it.  Hell, I've put up with skulks chewing on my egg before without really minding.

But since the rules are set in stone regarding this, I always do my best to follow them, enforce them (to what little extent I can), and make a good example of myself by abiding these rules - something we all should be doing without even having to question it.

This is lb's server -  follow his rules or hit the highway, as far as I'm concerned.  :)

April 11, 2004, 05:40:52 PM
Reply #8

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
This is lb's server -  follow his rules or hit the highway, as far as I'm concerned.  :)
Agreed. That's part of being a community, obeying the rules set forth. LB is pretty good at listening to these discussions as well, hence the Spawncamping thread. Abide by the rules, and don't pick them apart until they mean nothing (you're not running for US congress, so you don't need the practice).
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

April 11, 2004, 08:39:15 PM
Reply #9

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
so i was stoned to death by arch today because parasite obstructs his view? well then. i wont do it again.

April 12, 2004, 06:13:45 AM
Reply #10

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Just to repeat: All this business about parasiting or pistoling teammates makes it that much harder to admin the server. It's hard enough without having to distinguish between "real TKing" and "omg I was jsut parsecing him y u ban me???". All weapons, except for healspray and welder, are intended for use on enemies only.

April 12, 2004, 07:15:57 AM
Reply #11

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
Parasiting aliens... eh. I understand the rule about it and agree with it to stop lamers, but if it happens once in a while (especially by accident, which can happen for those of us with poor aim, lag, or you're trying to figure out that annoying redded-out-weapon bug), I don't think there's a big need for OMGWTFBBQHAXBAN.

Actually, I can see a couple viable uses for parasite, especially if there's someone/something on the team that it's really important to protect or wants to be a rallying point. But again, not unless the team agrees and especially the person, hehe.

As far as pistoling teammates, it shouldn't happen, period. Or knifing. Or biting.  

I would also like to say to please bear in mind that people have critical lag spikes sometimes. There's been one or two times that I've ran up to chomp on something, had a lag spike without realizing it, and suddenly everything speeds up and gets back to normal and it turns out I chomped on some guy to kill him. To him, it looks like I TKed out of the middle of nowhere; to me, it was an accident.
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...

April 12, 2004, 08:08:34 AM
Reply #12

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Just don't do it on purpose, that's all. We won't evict people for a little accident. It's the kind of people that have very regular "accidents" that are the problem. If you accidentally parasite a teammate, just apologize, that normally does the trick. If it happens a little too often and people start getting annoyed because of it, think about what YOU can do to prevent accidents.

Don't attack your teammates, no matter how little damage you're doing. If you accidentally attack or kill a teammate, an apology is the least you can give him. Admins accept that accidents do happen, but don't test their patience or you'll find that you are shortening it considerably.

April 13, 2004, 05:36:44 AM
Reply #13

Magmatron

• Onos

• View Profile
Don't worry, we take our time giving warnings for just annoying TKing.

TyrNem...blah blah blah

April 14, 2004, 03:33:46 AM
Reply #14

TyrNemesis^

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://sedlatre.livejournal.com
Even outside annoying admins by causing a parasite halo to appear in spectator mode... Keep in mind that some of us players are extremely attentive to small details and that seeing "PARASITED" overlaid on our screens can be an annoyance. Some may not notice it, but for me in particular, I have a constant urge to hit "KILL" just to get rid of it. This is a bad thing if I am an onos. :(

I also want to mention the most annoying and hard-to-prevent type of team damage: hive-leaping. Yes, we know it happens and doesn't really matter, just make sure you tell your teammates EVERY TIME YOU DO IT that the hive is okay. And, naturally, try to avoid it. It's nerve-wracking to be a pressure fade and constantly think "oh crap, time to go save the hive".

Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 03:35:10 AM by TyrNemesis^ »
<3 the Gorge
</3 the Shotgun

April 14, 2004, 11:00:22 AM
Reply #15

Squats

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://rinkerconsulting.com
Intentionally parasiting your teammates is just "grief" play of a light order. It's the same in my mind as anything else one might do for the sole intention of annoying their teammates, like TKing or jumping into a briefly empty com chair and buying a bunch of stupid crap to waste all the resources. It's anti-social behavior that seems common in 12-year olds, and frankly anyone older than that still engaging in such behavior needs to visit a therapist.

If you really need to cause people grief to feel good about yourself, remember that there are socially acceptable ways to be mean. Kill the enemy, toy with them, and you will be remembered with honor, instead of with malice.

Squats
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

April 14, 2004, 11:49:51 AM
Reply #16

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
I would see no problem with para'ing teammates if it didnt cause damage, and parasite you. but it does, so its annoying.
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

April 14, 2004, 02:08:47 PM
Reply #17

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
By the way, just to be clear, are we OK on stuff like leaping hives for MCs to point there, or is that a no-no as well?
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...

April 14, 2004, 02:17:56 PM
Reply #18

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I've always seen that as simply a clever tactic. It's useful and it doesn't hurt anyone, so I have no problem with it.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

April 14, 2004, 03:55:14 PM
Reply #19

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
By the way, just to be clear, are we OK on stuff like leaping hives for MCs to point there, or is that a no-no as well?
Hmm..never really thought about it that way  :blink:

I'm sure LB will have an axe to grind, though  :p