Poll

What shall we do with 2.01

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: The Fate Of LM And FSD  (Read 7653 times)

February 25, 2004, 09:42:00 AM
Read 7653 times

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
I must say I'm very disappointed with 3.0, however there is getting to be not much point in running 2.01 anymore either, seems we are the only server left and nobody is using it.

I'm all for Kill 2.01 and move 3.0 to LM myself.

Thoughts?
To the stars!

insert witty line here

February 25, 2004, 09:44:36 AM
Reply #1

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
I'm voting to keep 2.01 until 3.0 is final (and if it's not fixed by then, maybe even after that!) unless it's costing more or causing a lot of extra pain in some way. Several people were sticking to 2.01 but I've noticed them moving to 3.0 of late, so it may not matter much if it does go down.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

February 25, 2004, 09:46:12 AM
Reply #2

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
I play on LM all the time :(

February 25, 2004, 09:49:32 AM
Reply #3

Mouse

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • Danger Mouse
"unless it's costing more" well... does paying for the connection but the server not being used hardly at all signify it costing more? seems kinda pointless... I dunno if about other ppl but some times i get confused... on what version i'm playing when i keep going back and forth between the servers  <_< it's probably just me. I think it's not fair to LB in a sense that he's maintaining a server that isnt played in very much, so I vote to give it the ol' marine BOOT!

February 25, 2004, 09:51:55 AM
Reply #4

Insane

• Lerker

• View Profile
I managed to press the wrong button, so I might as well make my opinon known here.

I voted for "Kill 2.01 and move 3.0 to LM" for a couple of reasons. One is that I don't have 2.01 and I don't really plan on getting it.  ;) The second is that while in other circumstances I would have voted for maintaining the current situation (so people have a chance to play non-beta NS), but as nobody seems to be playing on LM, I don't really see the point in paying money for a server that nobody plays on, so I'd move it across.
fall with the stars...

February 25, 2004, 09:53:21 AM
Reply #5

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
It comes down to server resources. When it comes down to the point of not being used, I'd rather put the memory used to some other use, like another HL mod. Bandwidth and CPU use is nothing on a non used server.

There is also the hassle of keeping ban lists and admins stocked on both servers.

All you people who say you always play on LM, explain why it's been empty the last week? Huh? :p
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 09:57:55 AM by Lightning Blue »
To the stars!

insert witty line here

February 25, 2004, 10:00:31 AM
Reply #6

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
that one time i jumped on LM with ya and a few others LB, after 3.0 released.. well. i'm STILL shellshocked from the pure ebilness of players that come aboot.

2.01 is an evil attractor, of which much evilness comes and sprouts forth like some evil generator, of sorts.

GIMMEH 3.0 on LM!!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 25, 2004, 12:52:33 PM
Reply #7

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'm really torn on this..
But heres my solution..
Run 2 3.0 servers.
Make one all combat and the other all NS..
I dont have any problems with 3.0, other then I dislike combat.. thats the only reason I still play on 2.0..
It also seems that by running the last 2.0 server, we end up with all the people who cause trouble
It also seems that less and less people are playing 2.0

Can we get ns_hydrosity onto FSD? I really miss playing that map

The advatage of staying with 2.0 is that when 3.0f comes out, it would just be us on the server.. well thats the disadvantage too
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 12:56:13 PM by devicenull »

February 25, 2004, 01:50:10 PM
Reply #8

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
There was a lot of discussion on the combat thing a few months back, before 3.0 even came out. Running two servers was one option, but it was generally agreed that we didn't want to split up the player base. I like the way it currently is, switching to co when the player count gets low. Combat tends to fill the server and it's good for quick twitch gaming when times get slow. Once the server gets filled, it tends to stay that way for a few hours. If the players slack off again, it switches back to co and refills. Sure, it doesn't always work perfectly that way, but in general it's quite good.

Also, I'd very much like to have some custom maps available. LB, have you looked intot the sv_downloadurl variable at all? Allows downloading of custom maps from webspace instead of through the server itself, making for much faster downloads (and less server clearing). Might you be so kind as to consider running a custom map or two again?  :D   If not, at least having them there for admins to switchy to would be nice. (ns_hydrosity, ns_widow, esuna's co_dawn come immediately to mind) (and co_ambeke whenever zazi finishes it)

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

February 25, 2004, 02:16:31 PM
Reply #9

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
Lately it seems all the pubbers that would use to come to LM after I would log on when there are 0 people seem to be gone.  The LM invasions from IRC don't really work, since no one has 2.01 anymore.  I like 2.01 more for now, but there is no  real point in logging on to LM, if no one is going to join.  
Having both servers won't work beacuse of the spilt playerbase
Therefore, that leaves me 1 option.  Kill FSD, save LM(2.01 version).

Save LM!(To sig!)

February 25, 2004, 02:18:42 PM
Reply #10

Magmatron

• Onos

• View Profile
Yeah, my vote goes towards killing 2.01 and going to 3.0, but i'm probably biased. Afterall, I stopped playing NS for several months when I realised I didn't like 2.0 at all, and for some reason I like 3.0 alot.

TyrNem...blah blah blah

February 25, 2004, 02:43:22 PM
Reply #11

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I've come to realize that what would be best for the server to coninue on with somewhat popularity, 2.01 will have to be killed off because everyone is shifting over to 3.0.

Even I am becoming used to the problems and imbalances of 3.0, but that does not mean that I like them, nor do I want them to remain the way they are. I would still much rather play a good ol' game of 2.01. Granted it is a bit harder for marines to win a game, its not so impossible that it makes the game unplayable.

February 25, 2004, 03:43:14 PM
Reply #12

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
more regs on FSD = better
split regs between LM and FSD = ubernoobs (thats 'Super Noobs', not 'OMG LEET NOOBS') on LM

therefore, to maximize the fun factor for regs (and minimize commrage), i voted for kill off lm, and go for 3.0.
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

February 25, 2004, 03:52:50 PM
Reply #13

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
i voted for 3.0, but as of late i haven't had much time for anything mosr people would consider fun...
tests coming
multiple projects due
act/sat's coming up
teaching self linux and perl

the last two are fun, but aren't games ... most people think that it's work so i write it off as such :p

yeah, you have to bring the server to the people

February 25, 2004, 04:29:11 PM
Reply #14

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If one server, and only one was to be 3.0, with no 2.01, make it lunximonster. It has a name for itself... plus it'd be pretty silly having the name www.lunixmonster.org and the server has nothing to do with it :p With Lunixmonster you can at least guess what the website is with some accuracy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 04:30:26 PM by Uranium - 235 »

February 25, 2004, 04:31:20 PM
Reply #15

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
yes, id go with keep LM until 3.0 is offical because i do need a break sometimes from "intense" suprah action, and go to the more laid back less competative game, tho i refuse to command because it will make me go mad again  :rolleyes:

February 25, 2004, 07:23:20 PM
Reply #16

BlaqWolf

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
i never play lunixmonster anymore anyway... i would, but no one's in there... i join when malevolent joins, but then he notices that everyone's in FSD and leaves me with the nubs anyway...

so can 2.01, and keep 3.0. i think it'll be for the better
*In Soviet Russia, armory humps you!

February 25, 2004, 07:49:38 PM
Reply #17

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Well, keeping with my flat refusal to download 3.0 until the bloody thing's final, I'm gonna have to vote to keep 2.01 for now.

However, There are a few problems with the current situation:

a: No admins hang around LM anymore to begin with, leaving me (whenever I'm on) as a sort of taskmaster player to the jolly nublins who are new to NS but too stupid to figure out out to get 3.0 :-p  We need either more admins (and ones that are actually willing to make the sacrifice and admin the lunixmonster for once :-p) or just move to 3.0 altogether.

b:  If it's going to be a problem for LB, of course it must be changed.  Any way you slice it, we wub LB and therefore he vast mejority of us will support him in any decision he makes with his own property (read: the server).

No matter how it turns out, i'm, sticking with 2.1 until we get a finished 3.0.  If we switch to 3.0, I'll just have to take a bit of an unfortunate break in playing (only adding to my spotty attendance as of late anyhow - *shakes fist at life.*)  

Otherwise, it's all gravy to me :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 07:50:20 PM by Dubb »

February 25, 2004, 08:07:46 PM
Reply #18

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Well, keeping with my flat refusal to download 3.0 until the bloody thing's final, I'm gonna have to vote to keep 2.01 for now.

However, There are a few problems with the current situation:

a: No admins hang around LM anymore to begin with, leaving me (whenever I'm on) as a sort of taskmaster player to the jolly nublins who are new to NS but too stupid to figure out out to get 3.0 :-p  We need either more admins (and ones that are actually willing to make the sacrifice and admin the lunixmonster for once :-p) or just move to 3.0 altogether.

b:  If it's going to be a problem for LB, of course it must be changed.  Any way you slice it, we wub LB and therefore he vast mejority of us will support him in any decision he makes with his own property (read: the server).

No matter how it turns out, i'm, sticking with 2.1 until we get a finished 3.0.  If we switch to 3.0, I'll just have to take a bit of an unfortunate break in playing (only adding to my spotty attendance as of late anyhow - *shakes fist at life.*) 

Otherwise, it's all gravy to me :)
a) I play there whenever theres people there, I prefer 2.0, rather then 3.0
 Dont be complaining, unless you play at really weird times :p

February 26, 2004, 03:10:21 PM
Reply #19

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Keep the 2.01 server up until the final release of 3.0. You never know if some of us just have a sudden urge to play some 2.01.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.