Author Topic: The Meaning Of Life  (Read 9154 times)

February 07, 2004, 06:12:31 PM
Read 9154 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
What's the non-Douglas Adam's meaning of life?

I think this is where the thread started to slide off topic, so I decided to do the splits.

Teh groinache. Teh hideous hideous groinache...
[/size]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 05:14:43 AM by lolfighter »

February 07, 2004, 07:43:45 PM
Reply #1

Smoke Nova

• Skulk

• View Profile
Cogito Ergo Sum.

I think therefore I am.

February 07, 2004, 07:44:25 PM
Reply #2

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
damn you for prefixing that question!!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 07, 2004, 10:29:40 PM
Reply #3

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

February 08, 2004, 01:30:59 AM
Reply #4

Bogglesteinsky

• Skulk

• View Profile
There is no meaning to life. Everything is just a poinless waste of time and resources.

February 08, 2004, 05:04:46 AM
Reply #5

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
somehow i think the meaning of life is the find the meaning of life, and then follow it... and every person has a different 'meaning' because of their personality/taste/etc.

i know this sounds kinda like en easy answer - but well everyone has different goals, and to pack that down to one large saying would be tough, and it would probably require some more knowlegde on how we work psychically(sp?), like a 'map' of chain reactions and interactions...

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

February 08, 2004, 12:59:51 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
There is no meaning to life. Everything is just a poinless waste of time and resources.
I sense commrage.

DHP: Stop thinking so hard; go play a game. ; )

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

February 08, 2004, 02:13:13 PM
Reply #7

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Comm, drop me a book on zen buddhism, stat! ;)

February 08, 2004, 04:49:58 PM
Reply #8

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
DHP: Stop thinking so hard; go play a game. ; )
talking a tad serious here - i have done that the most of my life... and believe me it doesnt really help. im still a somewhat depressed person -_-, and you can only look away from reality for so long...

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

February 08, 2004, 06:53:04 PM
Reply #9

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
and you can only look away from reality for so long...
and then you view it with a look of disgust and return to your gaming safehaven v_v

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

February 08, 2004, 07:10:49 PM
Reply #10

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Do we need a new topic for people that think too hard to vent their depression? Cuz let me tell you...

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

February 08, 2004, 07:29:48 PM
Reply #11

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Do we need a new topic for people that think too hard to vent their depression? Cuz let me tell you...
What we really need is a topic for comms to vent their commrage. So, if they just had a terrible game, they can complain about it. They could also ask what they could of done differently to get players to be organized, etc.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

February 08, 2004, 09:52:16 PM
Reply #12

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
our reason for existance is to continue existing

February 08, 2004, 09:55:04 PM
Reply #13

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
our reason for existance is to continue existing
Hardly seems like a worthwhile reason.

I follow Christ. Most fulfilling thing I've ever done and ever will do.

February 08, 2004, 10:45:52 PM
Reply #14

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
lets keep the religious chat to a minimum. not that there is anything wrong with what you said, i just don't want to see it go down that road, further. just for future reference. you can say, i'm buddhist, or christian, or whatever. but by gut instinct tells me we should keep religious discussion to a nice low key level :)
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 08, 2004, 10:56:11 PM
Reply #15

Smoke Nova

• Skulk

• View Profile
I still hold...

Cogito Ergo Sum.

That is the meaning of life.

February 08, 2004, 11:36:28 PM
Reply #16

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
The meaning of life is latin for I think therfor I am?

Eh this post was about naming of ships. Why you gotta drag the whole emo "life is meaningless" tom foolery into it huh?
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

February 09, 2004, 05:09:06 AM
Reply #17

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
To quote Last Order: You don't need a reason to live.

And to add my own thoughts: If you needed one, you'd stop living without one. But even those who can't find something to justify their existence keep on existing. You don't need to find an excuse for your life, you don't need to see yourself as a part of some greater plan. You don't need to justify your existence. You were born for no particular reason, you might well die for no particular reason, and there's no particular reason for the life you lead inbetween. Life's what you make it. If you need a reason for your life, make one. If you need justification for your existence, justify it. But don't go searching for the answer like somebody else can tell you, or like a slip of paper will magically flutter from the heavens with directions for your course in life.

Unless you are a devout of Darwin's teaching, in which case the meaning of life is to reproduce. So go do that, I hear it's mighty fun.

February 09, 2004, 06:33:06 AM
Reply #18

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
LF just said what i should have said :) espicially these two sentences:
If you need a reason for your life, make one. If you need justification for your existence, justify it.

Life is what you make it, is i think one of the best Emo killers - at least in my coincidence...Yes im emo at times..

February 09, 2004, 06:38:34 PM
Reply #19

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
If you need a reason for your life, make one. If you need justification for your existence, justify it. But don't go searching for the answer like somebody else can tell you, or like a slip of paper will magically flutter from the heavens with directions for your course in life.

I'd have to argue the contrary. I wouldn't have the meaning in my life I have now if I didn't look for it, and I wouldn't have the purpose I have if someone had not told me.

Nobody needs a reason to justify their life. But let me tell you, it sure as hell makes it more incredible and amazing to live out when you have a destination in mind, one where just moving in that direction provides joy.