Author Topic: A Link For You Magic Fans  (Read 2163 times)

February 05, 2004, 09:19:53 AM
Read 2163 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 05, 2004, 11:54:00 AM
Reply #1

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Not a Magic fan (waste of $ (Off Topic, but every time I see a dollar sign I think 'String'. Writing out $$$ I think 'String string string'...)), but this guy's an idiot. He wants to rake in 70k a year on tournaments, but that's assuming he wins every one. That's like saying you're going to make a carreer being a contestant on Jeopardy.

February 05, 2004, 03:39:43 PM
Reply #2

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Saying that playing Magic is a waste of money is like saying playing video games is a waste of money. Its a hobby, just like so many other hobbies out there, which costs money to continue on with. Also, if you'd read through a bit better, you'd notice that the guy never says he's going to live off of winning all the time. He wants to go pro and win because its a pretty nice deal to win $70,000 for playing a bunch of games.

The article does portray the Magic scene in a lot of areas, the small hobby shops and such where people start out at. But the author seems to have a certain malice towards people that play, labeling them all as terribly ugly/smelly/nerdy/geeky people, and says 'geek' like its a bad thing. There are a lot of different people from play, and if you play, you aren't too surprised to see a group of people wearing casual suits and spiffy haircuts show up to an event like the recent pre-release. And sure, there are a lot of bad-mouthed little kids out there who play, but they can usually be kept in check by a group of calmer, more mature gamers in the area. Some of the terminology is a bit off, or completely made up, as nobody I've ever talked with who plays has ever used the phrase "condom your cards".  And although the 'color coding' at the end gives a nice little generalized idea of the color breakdown, its not accurrate enough to read through for anyone who is looking to play the game.

I might comment on this more later, I'm at school now and its ending, so I'm off.

February 05, 2004, 04:29:27 PM
Reply #3

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I love magic.  The only problem is that the people who spends more money on the hobby si teh winnar.  If you don't buy cards, you can't compete.
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

February 05, 2004, 05:34:13 PM
Reply #4

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Yea, thats one of my beefs with the game. Fortunately in the group of friends that I play with (about ten of us) all don't spend that much money on the game. I hardly spend any money at all, save for the pre-releases and larger events along with the occasional booster pack or two. Despite my minimal spendings, I've managed to remain one of the best players in our group as I trade only for what I know I would use in a deck, rather than the "well, this might be cool" cards, and I learn to play what is good against whatever idea my friends are following at the moment (Oh, you're running fast burn? Ok, I'll run a load of creatures, a number of which are too large to burn in one hit, and pound on you, forcing you to kill them before they kill you. Oh, you're running an army of little peons? No prob, my larger, fewer creatures and plentiful creature removal should do the trick.).