Author Topic: TF2 Roles  (Read 10748 times)

September 24, 2007, 11:33:53 AM
Read 10748 times

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
I never played TFC, and I don't know how to play most of the roles in TF2.  I was hoping people can use this thread to say what they like playing and any tricks / secrets / strats that they employee.

I've done decent as a medic, basically just following people around and healing!  At least it makes me feel useful!  And when there are already 2 or more medics on a team I play soldier.  I'm not the best soldier, but luckily I'm not the worst either!  I employ the run around and shoot tactic :P 

I'd like to be an engineer but I guess I'm not sure what to build where / when!

Lets hear how to play these crazy roles!!! :)

September 24, 2007, 01:03:26 PM
Reply #1

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Oh, SO MUCH TO SAY!!!

As a medic, don't be afraid to use your melee weapon, it, like all the melee weapons, is RIDICULOUSLY powerful.

For engineer, you basically want to put it in a place that's not too small (a demo man will rox it), or too large (so that the SG is outside it's tracking radius, that is, a soldier can shoot at it without the SG firing back). Build the ammo dumps anywhere you think there will be lots of friendlies in need of healing, where they will also PROTECT it. Some engies like to put their dispensers close to their SGs, so they can upgrade/repair it ad infinitum. Teleporters, obviously, are built near where your guys spawn, and exit where your guys have gained control (pretty important in push/defend maps (dustbowl)).

I'm liking the SCout more and more. He has double jump, is ridiculously fast, can cap points twice as fast, and has that UBAR BAT OF DOOM. Wide open spaces are his friend. Close corridors he gets pwned. Two point blank shots from his scattergun pretty much destroys everyone.

I don't like the soldier, because I suck at him. His missles move really really slowly.

Demo-man I see alot of elite players use. It's damn tricky to score  a direct hit with the grenade, but it does RIDICULOUS damage. I think they one hit kill Heavies. I use a demo man whenever there is a pesky SG setup, and a corner I can bank around.

HW/heavy is pretty straightforward. Pre-spin your gun by pressing the RIGHT CLICK. Shoot stuff. Watch your ammo. Protect your medic.

Ah, so many tips from a super mediocre player like myself. Are there any classes you have questions about?
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

September 24, 2007, 04:11:00 PM
Reply #2

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm pretty pimp at the soldier. It all comes down to leading your shots well since the rockets do move slow. You will eventually get good enough where you hit people directly with them after a while. And as a soldier you need to know when to use the shotgun (basically in water or when they are a good distance).

For the pyro, you have to pretty much ambush people. The flamethrower is completely useless at midrange. You basically use it two ways (1) to completely toast someone point blank which is an almost instant kill (2) to just set someone on fire and finish them with the shotgun. Pyros are especially deadly if they are in a group of enemies and have a medic with them.

The spy is all about knowing your surroundings. You have to make sure there is someone playing as the class you are disguised as on the other team and that they're not in your vicinity. Cloaking is really only used to get behind enemy lines to make it seem like you came from the spawn point or to get out of trouble (since you can't attack while cloaked). After this, it is mainly getting good at aiming backstabs and using the revolver (really strong) to finish someone off if needed.

I've played as a sniper (I'm mediocre with them) and a scout (pretty much suck with them partly due to my horrible framerate when action gets heavy). I've also played as a medic, demoman, and heavy briefly, but not enough to get good with them. I haven't played an engineer yet at all.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

September 26, 2007, 12:41:16 PM
Reply #3

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
if your a scout use your speed against heavies in open areas, you can usualy jump over and around them without them getting a shot on you, especially if there more then one of you. Scouts are the death bringers I find right now, if you know how to move with them, its incredibly hard to get hit.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

September 28, 2007, 10:39:38 AM
Reply #4

SageGaspar

• Lerker

• View Profile
For engineers and scouts don't forget the pistols either, they're pretty powerful and the best option for long range. Like if you engineer up something like the sewer in 2fort you can have your turret facing the shorter hallway and use your pistol to protect the long hallway.

It also took me like ten games to figure out that the little electroshock thing that spies have sucks the life out of turrets and doesn't take you out of disguise. It doesn't take a genius to figure out who did it if you just stand around, but spies can be the ultimate turret killers if the engy or someone else isn't watching out for the turret. Spies can be really crazy if you're good at it.

September 28, 2007, 11:39:47 AM
Reply #5

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Even better: Place the sapper on a sentry when an engineer is nearby but not enough to see you do it. He'll come over to fix it; then you backstab and replace the sapper.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

October 01, 2007, 12:20:22 AM
Reply #6

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Oh, SO MUCH TO SAY!!!

As a medic, don't be afraid to use your melee weapon, it, like all the melee weapons, is RIDICULOUSLY powerful.

For engineer, you basically want to put it in a place that's not too small (a demo man will rox it), or too large (so that the SG is outside it's tracking radius, that is, a soldier can shoot at it without the SG firing back). Build the ammo dumps anywhere you think there will be lots of friendlies in need of healing, where they will also PROTECT it. Some engies like to put their dispensers close to their SGs, so they can upgrade/repair it ad infinitum. Teleporters, obviously, are built near where your guys spawn, and exit where your guys have gained control (pretty important in push/defend maps (dustbowl)).

I'm liking the SCout more and more. He has double jump, is ridiculously fast, can cap points twice as fast, and has that UBAR BAT OF DOOM. Wide open spaces are his friend. Close corridors he gets pwned. Two point blank shots from his scattergun pretty much destroys everyone.

I don't like the soldier, because I suck at him. His missles move really really slowly.

Demo-man I see alot of elite players use. It's damn tricky to score  a direct hit with the grenade, but it does RIDICULOUS damage. I think they one hit kill Heavies. I use a demo man whenever there is a pesky SG setup, and a corner I can bank around.

HW/heavy is pretty straightforward. Pre-spin your gun by pressing the RIGHT CLICK. Shoot stuff. Watch your ammo. Protect your medic.

Ah, so many tips from a super mediocre player like myself. Are there any classes you have questions about?

Teleporters in TF2? Well that basically ruins any chance I will be playing it

October 01, 2007, 08:33:57 PM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh come on Leaderz0rz, one little piece of technology is going to stop you from buying it? There is a pretty significant cooldown between use, if that's any consolation.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

October 01, 2007, 09:26:24 PM
Reply #8

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Furthermore, most of TFC was CTF and teleporters weren't that great there. Most of TF2 is command point control of various sorts, and teles are far more useful and less annoying there.

October 02, 2007, 09:48:14 AM
Reply #9

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
I was browsing around on servers yeasterday and then I saw something..... Lunixmonster TF2.
I thought, boy this sure is a conincidence, but now it seems that I have a new favorite server :D
Vinnie the engy SHALL LIVE ON!

October 02, 2007, 10:12:47 AM
Reply #10

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It would take a very long time to say HOLY CRAP <insert name of regular/server admin who I used to play a ton of NS with and IRC and all that stuff I could do for HOURS on end before I had a child> to every single one of you.

So, just in advance, and to all the regs and server admins I know and sort kinda love (in the internet way), HOLY CARPS HI 2 U!!!!
-Richard Feynman

October 02, 2007, 09:39:11 PM
Reply #11

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
zomg ITS NITEOWL!
*hands nite a gift of a new cane*
may ye smite the children down on the server with much joy old ruffly one.

October 03, 2007, 03:04:09 AM
Reply #12

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

I reveal penis I know psychology.

October 03, 2007, 08:48:46 AM
Reply #13

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yes, I have an owlet. That is all there is to say on the matter!

Now, when is the next TF2 night of dewm!? TF2 is popular enough that if you seed, they will come. And now is the time to get ppl coming to LM regularly, get some server traffic which translates into FORUM traffic, and IRC traffic, and such, etc!
-Richard Feynman

October 03, 2007, 10:16:30 AM
Reply #14

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Leave a message with some REASONABLE warning, those whole "everyone join in 5 hours because we know you have nothing else to do with your lives!" thing just doesnt work, if I know a LITTLE in advance, I could make time. (few days)

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

October 23, 2007, 09:59:53 AM
Reply #15

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
That is patently false. Why I did it only yesterday (pm spamming everyone on steam friends), and we had a full server in now time. Unfortunately, LM gets quite laggy at 24/24. Has its limit been reduced? Perhaps 20 or 18?
-Richard Feynman

November 21, 2007, 10:01:21 PM
Reply #16

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Agreeing with niteowl, listing a date and a time never gets people to show up - bothering everyone the time of works best.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

November 22, 2007, 01:24:46 PM
Reply #17

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
do both!

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win