Author Topic: Exciting times are ahead...  (Read 3676 times)

January 11, 2007, 04:17:05 PM
Read 3676 times

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So, since there isn't that much activity right now, I decided to make a thread about some interesting things that are going on right now (to me) in entertainment/technology.

1. Firstly, go see these movies:

Pan's Labyrinth
Children of Men

Both of them are playing in theaters right now. Pan's Labyrinth (99% RottenTomatoes score; only one bad review from an idiot) has amazing imagery and style. Children of Men is perhaps the best cinematography in a movie recently, and it definitely deserves a place in the records for it. Besides that, it is an excellent look into the near future. They're definitely up there with the best movies of 2006. Plus all of the Oscar nominated movies will be coming out in a couple of months on DVD.

2. Then there's the new thing from Apple I am sure you have heard about (be it on the NS forums or on a news site) that surprisingly starts with "i":

iPhone

A lot of people are excited about it while others just loathe Apple completely. I for one am excited about it. I plan on getting one if they aren't too expensive. I have been wanting a new phone and MP3 player, and I am glad I waited. It will be nice to have them both in one sleek package. The release can't come soon enough.

3. High-definition is really coming into its own now:

Warner introduces Total HD
LG's dual HD-DVD/Blu-ray player

So while no one knows what format will come out on top, it looks like either way you can't lose if you go for LG's player. And even if you don't, you'll still be able to watch Warner Bros. movies no matter what. Of course LG's player will have a high price tag (but all HD players do right now), and Warner Bros. probably will end up charging a good amount for their dual discs. I personally am not even going to attempt to jump into HD movies anytime soon. When players are going for 200 dollars, then maybe.

4. That one OS is around the corner:

Windows Vista
Keynote address from CES

I for one plan on getting Vista when it comes out because I get a large discount through my university (although I have to wait until April before it's available from the school). It's the only way you'll be able to get DirectX 10, but on top of that I just like the fact they are really making the interface sleek.

5.  Of course, there's also:

WoW: BC

I plan on getting it when it comes out. Heh, I haven't renewed my account for about a month since my guild stopped raiding until the expansion. Even then, I am sort of tired of raiding, etc. I'll probably get to 70 and see what I feel like then. Man, it has needed new content for a while.

6. The new game consoles:

Some surprising sales figures

I never dreamed the Wii would do this well. It really seems like it has a chance for number two or even one. I guess Nintendo's approach of introducing new people to gaming is working. I myself am not really interested in the Wii. I just don't like the controller idea at all. The only game that I really want to play on it is Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Zelda being on GCN as well), and I know several people who have a Wii already, and since it's multiplayer, it should work out perfectly. I actually don't have any next-gen systems right now, but I plan on getting an Xbox 360 sometime this year probably. Gears of War was amazing.

7. And lastly, if you're into Nine Inch Nails (probably not, but I like them):

New album and live DVD

Look at the top two new entries. April can not come soon enough (likewise for the ensuing tour). I have high hopes that it will be better than With Teeth.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 11, 2007, 09:49:04 PM
Reply #1

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I want to see both of those movies, but I know Pan's Labyrinth was or still is on a limited showing, and I seem to recall something similar about Children of Men. Plus, Ann Arbor only shows a few movies at a time, unless you go to Briarwood, which is showing neither of them.

January 11, 2007, 10:14:38 PM
Reply #2

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Children of Men is playing in Ann Arbor the last I knew. Pan's Labyrinth goes nationwide on the 19th. And after that it will just keep growing to more theaters.

January 13, 2007, 02:42:53 AM
Reply #3

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Children of Men was pimp ^_^
I haven't heard much about that other movie though.. will check it out..

Nice to see a new post btw.. been a while on here.
-_^

January 13, 2007, 03:05:23 PM
Reply #4

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Cisco hates apple for the iphone, I wonder who will win
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 16, 2007, 12:26:56 PM
Reply #5

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I just got my burning crusade!

January 16, 2007, 02:03:58 PM
Reply #6

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, I got mine today. I probably won't do that much with it though. I'll check Outland and all that and level a bit. I just got season one of Six Feet Under, and it wants me to watch it.