Author Topic: Hey did anyone notice...  (Read 21136 times)

August 05, 2006, 01:48:18 PM
Reply #20

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I'm with dev, hardly anyone cares anymore and most people have moved on. The mod is quite dead.
[snapback]56141[/snapback]

I still play

it's the community thats dead ^____^
[snapback]56163[/snapback]

Annoying Kid and I were hitting it up in pubs :D

August 07, 2006, 04:16:10 PM
Reply #21

Petco

• Lerker

• View Profile
You guys are forgetting that if NS:S was "free" you'd have to buy HL2, to download NS:S and play it. Now that NS:S cost $20 when it comes out, you don't need HL2(HL2 costs a lot more).

And HL2 in the year S.D. 741 will STILL cost more than NS:S will ever be.

Also, NS is dead now, but wait... just wait... IT WILL COME BACK ALIVE.

In the supar sekrat constellation forums in hte supar sekrat site, we're discussing methods of taking over the world.

Such as Natural Selection: Chess, featuring the dark aliens versus the light aliens. The gorge is the queen, hive is king, fade is the knight (Blink ftw), skulks are obviously pawns, and so on.

OR, the awesome Natural Selection Energy/Sports drink called "A-DRENALINE". The ad will be "Not just an energy drink, it's A-DRENALINE DRINK!". Or "This drink gives you the adrenaline upgrade in Natural Selection, so you'll never get tired!".

But don't tell anyone that I'm revealing top secret stuff to you guys.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:25:06 PM by Petco »

August 07, 2006, 04:19:28 PM
Reply #22

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
We already have HL2 though. :)

August 07, 2006, 07:35:28 PM
Reply #23

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
Welcome petco....  Your post made me laugh, some people may THINK you're lieing, but  some stuff just can't be made up! :D

Not all of us here at LM are bitter nay-sayers.  I still enjoy NS from time to time and am addicted to the newly (to me) 'up' forums, even if they are a little slow (activity-wise).

August 07, 2006, 11:56:43 PM
Reply #24

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
Not all of us here at LM are bitter nay-sayers.  I still enjoy NS from time to time and am addicted to the newly (to me) 'up' forums, even if they are a little slow (activity-wise).
[snapback]56177[/snapback]

Hells yeah, I'll be the first guy in line the day it comes out... err, well, within the first couple thousand on the download queue.

I've been enjoying this game for, what, five years now, and paid nothing but voluntary donations to the guy behind the game and a handful of servers I've enjoyed. Hard for me to get upset because he took a year off from his free game mod and left us with a very decent build.

Only thing that's stopping me from playing more these days are maps and servers, to be honest. I can only play so many games on Eclipse and Veil. Only other server I found that I generally liked has a primetime admin that annoys the nuts outta me (i.e., being kicked off in mid-game when it's packed while I'm building the team-requested movements for not typing out a response to his voice comm requesting me on the other side of the map immediately). Plus you buy your reg slots, which... I dunno, fair, but turns me off a little.

I have a bunch of other friends that are waiting on NS:S to go back for graphics, mostly. And a lot of the preteen-teen-undergrad crowd that started playing back in the day will probably have the disposible income to spend on it now, especially at $20, so I think it'll do well. If it turns out to be good, I bet all but the most jaded naysayers end up buying.
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...

August 09, 2006, 10:58:16 AM
Reply #25

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I play on the jigglypuff now, I just find myself gravitating to that server

and when it lags cause the jigglypuff in the hampster wheel that provides the bandwitch for the server gets tired and the server starts to lag

we got to pedal faster, where I have admin. There are lots of great players, and there is always a skilled player or two on.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

August 09, 2006, 03:53:48 PM
Reply #26

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
You guys are forgetting that if NS:S was "free" you'd have to buy HL2, to download NS:S and play it. Now that NS:S cost $20 when it comes out, you don't need HL2(HL2 costs a lot more).
[snapback]56174[/snapback]

That depends.. is Flayra licensing the source engine?  If he isn't, afaik you will still have to have HL2DM to play it.

August 10, 2006, 09:59:44 AM
Reply #27

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If he ain't licensing the engine, he can't charge money for it. So I'd guess he will. Or he might license a different engine that suits his goals better, like the Doom 3 engine. It does shadows really well I hear.

August 10, 2006, 12:56:48 PM
Reply #28

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If he ain't licensing the engine, he can't charge money for it. So I'd guess he will. Or he might license a different engine that suits his goals better, like the Doom 3 engine. It does shadows really well I hear.
[snapback]56184[/snapback]
It doesn't have much in the netcode department though, but yeah it's good for the darkness of NS.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

August 11, 2006, 12:16:22 AM
Reply #29

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
I still smurf(I have no idea what this word means but it seems to fit the context) the forums from time to time and it seems that every conversation ends up being a discusion on how ns and lm are dead. Seems to me that if for over a year now its still being talked about and smurfed over(usage?) it could make a pleasant comeback.

or at least i hope so.

August 11, 2006, 12:24:44 AM
Reply #30

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Niether are really dead, but more along the lines of NS is in a coma on it's deathbed being kept alive with a heart&lung machine, while LM is cozily stuffed into cryostasis with lifesigns slowed almost to a halt, but able to come right back to life when something needs it.

(yay for analogies!)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:25:08 AM by A Boojum Snark »

August 11, 2006, 01:11:36 AM
Reply #31

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
It doesn't have much in the netcode department though, but yeah it's good for the darkness of NS.

I doubt it would run well with 18 marines\aliens running around, all with dynamic lighting and shadows.  If the engine could be suited to pull of real dynamic soft shadows I'd be sold.  Source (and steam for that matter) is the most logical choice.  This way they should be able to somewhat port some of their code, and possibly some of the levels.  Alhough I'd imagine the mappers would just take measurements from the old levels and redo the map in hammer entirely.

Although I've heard the doom3 map editor is heaps better than hammer.  Apparantly its somewhat of a difficult process to get your models\props working in source since the editor isn't unified (ala Unreal engine).

Kungfusquirrel messed around remaking a part of ns_eclipse on the doom3 engine (he also made veil for NS):

http://www.button-masher.net/images/wip/d3_eclipse_008.jpg
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 01:14:02 AM by aeroripper »

August 14, 2006, 08:53:47 AM
Reply #32

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
That's a really nice pic :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

August 14, 2006, 01:28:22 PM
Reply #33

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
yeah

thats damn hawt.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.

August 24, 2006, 10:01:19 PM
Reply #34

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
That is really nice. I'm almost ashamed to have to ask, but what part of Eclipse was that supposed to be?
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...

August 24, 2006, 10:48:20 PM
Reply #35

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I believe it's the place... umm... keyhole? The T-junction on the left leads to the south loop res node, the right leads to maint hive, and the background goes up to horseshoe node.

August 29, 2006, 03:05:57 AM
Reply #36

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile

September 12, 2006, 08:32:10 PM
Reply #37

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Stupid NS, I can't believe I still play that game >:(
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

September 12, 2006, 08:36:43 PM
Reply #38

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
olo, NS forums are back up for people previously registered.

September 23, 2006, 02:03:28 AM
Reply #39

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I tried to go there a couple days ago but it was down

shocking