Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 3132 times)

June 27, 2006, 01:21:24 PM
Read 3132 times

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
So, I've been looking around at laptops for college.  This is the one I like the most.
dv5000z from HP   [customized]

Operating System    Genuine Windows XP Professional    

Processor    AMD Turion™ 64 ML-40 (2.2GHz/1MB L2 Cache)    

Display    FREE Upgrade to 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!!    

Graphics Card    128MB ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory™    

Memory    1.0GB DDR SDRAM (1x1024MB)    

Hard Drive    100 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive    

Primary CD/DVD Drive    DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive    

Networking    54g™ 802.11a/b/g WLAN    

Primary Battery    12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery    

Productivity Software    Microsoft® Office 2003 Basic    

AC Adapters & Batteries    HP 90W AC Adapter    

I have decided several things about the one I'm getting.  You should know these things before you give me advice on what to get in it, so there are no misunderstandings.

1.  It is not primarily for gaming.  I need a solid laptop that is durable, and won't die after a few months.

2.  I don't need and don't want all the unnecessary frills and cool LED lights and add-on keyboards and stuff.  It's all useless, and don't tell me they're cool.  They're needlessly expensive.

3.  Durability and reliability.  I plan to use the thing to hold my presentations for classes, store projects-in process, as well as type term papers and so on.  I don't want the thing crashing two days before my [paper is due, and me needing to tpye it all up from memory.

So, tell me about the parts that are in the thing, what you thought of them, whether they're reliable, and so on.  Thanks for the help- I'm not exactly a genius with computers, and I know it.
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

June 28, 2006, 03:37:15 PM
Reply #1

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It seems fine. The only thing that could be upgraded is the video card, but you said it wouldn't really be for gaming. Hopefully you have a PC that you'll take for gaming.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

June 28, 2006, 06:50:15 PM
Reply #2

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Eh, gaming has actually lost a bit of the luster for me.  All the games seem to be the same, and it feels like I'm just going through the motions.  The gaming I do now is with a few good friends for an evening of fun, or with my brothers in celebration of something.

Anyway, What do you guys know about Macs?  I know absolutely nohting about them, and I'd like some user feedback from poeple who acutally know, not my loser friends who rave about Linux.  So, ask your friends, and feed me your knowledge!

Mal-  Thanks.  I wasn't sure how it stacked up to other comps these days.  I'm way behind the times.
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear

June 29, 2006, 01:07:47 AM
Reply #3

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
What I know about Macs - They cost more.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

June 29, 2006, 02:01:38 AM
Reply #4

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Anyway, What do you guys know about Macs?
[snapback]55968[/snapback]

They're needlessly expensive.
[snapback]55958[/snapback]

:D  :D  :D

Its like writing a quote Ransom letter.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:02:05 AM by ANeM »

June 29, 2006, 06:12:55 AM
Reply #5

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Actually, I was playing around with Apple's website yesterday, and I can get a laptop almost exactly the same as the one above, for something like $100 or $150 cheaper, with only a small downsize in the screen.

Processor-
2GHz Intel Core Duo

80 GB Serial ATA drive

1 GB DDR2 SDRAM

"super drive"- reads and writes both cds and dvds.

13.3" widescreen display

Intel GMA 950 graphics processor

The rest is just details, but this one costs $1449, and the Dell cost some like 1600, I can't remember off the top of my head.   And, this one has a better grpahics card, so  :p

Also-  have you heard anything about something called "boot camp"?  It's supposed to be some kind of a program that lets you install windows on a mac-  it partitions the hard drive for you and everything.  It's in beta testing right now, but you can download a free trial from their website.  Know anything about how well it works?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:31:21 AM by Kodiac »
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear

June 29, 2006, 07:38:30 PM
Reply #6

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
yeah, I heard of that

I got a new computer  <3

sketch, I realized I never had my own computer until now
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

June 29, 2006, 09:17:55 PM
Reply #7

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I've used Macs before when I had to or they were convenient. I can't say I like them better than PCs. They don't seem as fast (but I don't know the specs for the ones at college). My uncle actually uses one and loves it. I just can't really get into. It just seems they are really made for looks and people who don't want to do as intensive things (i.e. media center type things).
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

June 29, 2006, 09:55:36 PM
Reply #8

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
They don't seem as fast (but I don't know the specs for the ones at college).
[snapback]55982[/snapback]
Well yeah, those were slow macs for schools, the good ones are all expensive. Computers with windows in media centers are usually just as crap.

I reveal penis I know psychology.